ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think gets offered the Nebraska job?

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
We all have our own preferences, some will have their own list like me, but in the end, who do you actually think gets the Nebraska head coaching job offer once Scott Frost is out the door at season end?

Personally, even though I have a couple of guys I'd like more than others, my pick is Trev Alberts landing Matt Campbell from Iowa State. Why? No Michigan job opening, has a low buyout, Big 12 is no longer a top conference, he already has ties into the same high schools that Nebraska already recruits.

I think it is going to be Bill O'Brien if Scott is let go. I don't love this hire, but rumor is that he and Trev have a relationship and is the current front runner.
I bet he could put together a staff and recruit. Who knows?? Just tired of watching the shit show we have now

Reactions: timnsun
We all have our own preferences, some will have their own list like me, but in the end, who do you actually think gets the Nebraska head coaching job offer once Scott Frost is out the door at season end?

Personally, even though I have a couple of guys I'd like more than others, my pick is Trev Alberts landing Matt Campbell from Iowa State. Why? No Michigan job opening, has a low buyout, Big 12 is no longer a top conference, he already has ties into the same high schools that Nebraska already recruits.
I don't have a good other option, but no to Campbell. The fact that he can't beat Iowa IS a big deal. Smoke and mirrors coaching in the Big XII. We already saw first-hand, Bo going from Big XII and Big 10 and newsflash: it aint easy.

I think I agree with Campbell. No candidate is perfect, and if they are they aren’t coming here.

He’s experienced in the Midwest (or Great Plains more technically), so it wouldn’t be a weird fit. He’s done a really good job at a historically bad school. He may be realizing he’s reached his peak there. I could also see him staying here if he found success rather than viewing us as a stepping stone.

After the surefire Frost hire failed, I think it’s clear nobody knows the right answer. There are risks and unknowns with every hire. But for the reasons I stated above I think Campbell is as good a realistic choice as any.

I think I agree with Campbell. No candidate is perfect, and if they are they aren’t coming here.

He’s experienced in the Midwest (or Great Plains more technically), so it wouldn’t be a weird fit. He’s done a really good job at a historically bad school. He may be realizing he’s reached his peak there. I could also see him staying here if he found success rather than viewing us as a stepping stone.

After the surefire Frost hire failed, I think it’s clear nobody knows the right answer. There are risks and unknowns with every hire. But for the reasons I stated above I think Campbell is as good a realistic choice as any.
you make some great points

We could do far worse than O’Brien. In fact, he would be high on my list. No to Campbell. He has plateaued at ISU.
He’s plateaued at an impressive level considering it’s Iowa State. If he plateaued any higher we’d stand no chance because a better offer would be waiting for him.

I have a friend who’s huge into NFL. He said O’Brien is the worst in game manager he’s ever seen. I know NFL is not NCAA but that kind of stuff does translate.

He also didn’t do anything impressive at PSU other than recruit a five star QB who ended up being dreadful.

We could do far worse than O’Brien. In fact, he would be high on my list. No to Campbell. He has plateaued at ISU.
I can’t believe he would be on the top of Trev’s list..Some have mentioned he doesn’t like to recruit, but of course I heard the same thing about Hoiberg too..

My choice is Dave Aranda, because he has coached in the conference and you need to have a good defense to win the division and conference before a Lane Kiffen type offense..
Which we thought we were getting with SF when he arrived in Lincoln..

Dave Aranda or Bill O'Brien

I don’t have a favorite I just want a coach that has a great resume win loss record with a minimum of 5 years P5 that runs a well disciplined team no more inventing new ways to lose, I don’t mind loosing if the opponent is superior in talent but loosing to teams by Being out coached isn’t tolerated

Reactions: BleedRed78
I bet he could put together a staff and recruit. Who knows?? Just tired of watching the shit show we have now
We say this with every hire..... For me unless you get an Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, or someone proven it is just more words. We think everyone will get a staff and recruit. Only really Callahan killed it in recruiting...

Reactions: SuperBigFan
We could do far worse, but we could do far better. I don't think O'Brien is bad, I'm just curious of what he really brings.

At New England went from Offensive Advisor assistant to OB coach and OC in 4 years

At Texans:

14' 2nd AFC South with QBs: Ryan Mallet/Case Keenum
15' 1st AFC South with QBs: Brian Hoyer/Mallet/ TJ Yates/ Weeden
16' 1st AFC South with QBs: Osweiler/Tom Savage
17' 4th AFC South with QBs: Tom Savage/Watson/TJ Yates
18' 1st AFC South with QBs: Watson
19' 1st AFC South with QBs: Watson / AJ McCarron

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I'm surprised this place hasn't hired Nick Saban. You would think he would be a shoe in for this place. Relax Nebraska fans, its a joke. I think you should concentrate on a head coach with proven experience in building a program and keeping it there. Luke Fickle would be a great hire, but I think he is waiting for the Ohio St vacancy when and if it happens.

I can’t believe he would be on the top of Trev’s list..Some have mentioned he doesn’t like to recruit, but of course I heard the same thing about Hoiberg too..

My choice is Dave Aranda, because he has coached in the conference and you need to have a good defense to win the division and conference before a Lane Kiffen type offense..
Aranda would be amazing. Would we even have a shot at him? I would imagine any coach in the Big 12 has at least one eye on the exit turnstile, given the precariousness of the conference. Baylor plays some good football. Plus... he knows Texas recruiting. He would definitely be higher on my list than O'Brien. I am only partial to O'Brien since I know what a shitstorm he walked into out here in PA after the Paterno thing. He held that program together for two years with a bailing wire and a prayer. Things could have completely unraveled and PSU could have ended up 2-10 for two years. Instead, he put two winning seasons together with a depleted roster. Which is a hell of a lot more than Frost has done in four years. So I at least think he deserves a look. He also is not a head coach right now and may want to get back into that and so would be interested. And ... he has Alabama experience now.

Last edited:
You need a program builder with a direct style, and in my opinion someone whom has made it somewhere over a decent period of type, not just with other coaches recruits.

Technically, Riley could fit that profile, but being a 500 coach should have ended that idea instantly.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Matt Campbell isn't coming to Lincoln. I am not saying he would good or bad for UNL. I am saying he only has interest in Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. If any of those became available. It is due to his background and upbringing.

I disagree on the part of "we thought we were getting good defense ' . I recorded and watched all the ucf games I could that year. My warning to this board was the defense . Gave up a lot of points and yards but they also got a lot of takeaways. Plus offense capitalized on them and many of their games were probably above the over/under.

On the optimistic side most probably watched their bowl game against auburn in which their defense was great and shut down the war eagles

Reactions: WHCSC
Matt Campbell isn't coming to Lincoln. I am not saying he would good or bad for UNL. I am saying he only has interest in Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. If any of those became available. It is due to his background and upbringing.

He's coaching at Iowa State right now, quite a leap from the programs you just listed as the "only" places he would consider. You're in luck here though, because we don't want him.

Reactions: headcard
Reactions: Huskerfan2112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT