ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with Nebraska Recruiting?

ElRoberson

Walk On
Aug 6, 2016
I correctly predict d that we would not land a single target today not because I didn't want us to but because I know Mike and I know the type of classes that he brought in at OSU. He finds diamonds in the rough probably better than any coach in the country but high level elite recruits? Not so much...However it isn't for lack of trying. Obviously he and his staff went all in this year but what gives? What needs to be done to bring elite talent to Lincoln?

I correctly predict d that we would not land a single target today not because I didn't want us to but because I know Mike and I know the type of classes that he brought in at OSU. He finds diamonds in the rough probably better than any coach in the country but high level elite recruits? Not so much...However it isn't for lack of trying. Obviously he and his staff went all in this year but what gives? What needs to be done to bring elite talent to Lincoln?
We need to start winning big games again. Maybe we will next year. Better QB, better offensive line, better linebackers. Maybe we get over the hump

I love it when a KState troll comes on here using the word we. Go home.

I love it when a KState troll comes on here using the word we. Go home.
Funny thing is dinglefritz, despite his user name, I don't think he is a KSU fan. And I thought at one time he was a troll, but I don't think he is. He just has a unique posting style and a strange user name

Recruiting is a salesmen's game. You're trying to sell that recruit reasons to commit to you. Whether it's playing time, winning championships, academics, facilities, coaching, fan support, NFL draft probability, fun times with girls, literally trying to buy them with money/goods, etc.

You're either a good salesmen or your not and in this game, sometimes a used car salesmen is what you need.

Reactions: LBremser
I don't know what they need to do, but whatever it does take, I wish they could get the job done.

Funny thing is dinglefritz, despite his user name, I don't think he is a KSU fan. And I thought at one time he was a troll, but I don't think he is. He just has a unique posting style and a strange user name
I think you've had too much Templeton.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Since we hired the Top Ten recruiter in place of Read, we all got excited thinking he was going to bring in some top Calif. talent, and he has been shut out and 2 guys decommitte (not his fault). Guess that didn't work out as planned.

He's a not a Husker fan. We have a couple dozen of them on here. They were no where to be found until recruiting heated up. One of the guys that I thought was legit but a little pessimistic let is slip that he's a Hawkeye fan. He had me fooled for several weeks at least.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
He's a not a Husker fan. We have a couple dozen of them on here. They were no where to be found until recruiting heated up. One of the guys that I thought was legit but a little pessimistic let is slip that he's a Hawkeye fan. He had me fooled for several weeks at least.
Ok. Thanks for this. Guess I have been duped.

This might be my most pessimistic post I've ever put up on here but it needs to be heard.

As I just said in another thread, the defeatist attitude I see on this recruiting board really astounds me. Yes, we lost out on 4 talented targets. Yes, I understand we are free to discuss recruiting (hence the name--rivals), however, these kids have a right to pick the school they want and our coaching staff. There is still an entire month and the closing period ends very soon. We still have staff who can get us anywhere between an 18-25 final ranking.

I know it sucks that it doesn't look like these kids are coming here, I'm right there with you. But just like when you go to work, do you want to work with people that don't want to be there? The answer is Hell to the No. It's the same thing with these young athletes. If they don't want to be here, find people who do.

I realize that I am defending Riley here if you haven't figured that out yet, but seriously? Your day is ruined after 17 and 18 year old kids decide they don't want to play at Nebraska? Come on, be a better human than that. There will be plenty of chances the next month to do some damage. Do you actually think that our staff is hanging their head about these kids? They knew this was a possibility today and knowing Riley, he will be proactive about the next month.

Wait until NSD, THEN you have a right to question the current Nebraska recruiting tactics. We're going to find out how good this staff is in the next 4 weeks. After that, it's up to Riley and the staff to work on figuring out ways to win big games, because he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:
This might be my most pessimistic post I've ever put up on here but it needs to be heard.

As I just said in another thread, the defeatist attitude I see on this recruiting board really astounds me. Yes, we lost out on 4 talented targets. Yes, I understand we are free to discuss recruiting (hence the name--rivals), however, these kids have a right to pick the school they want and our coaching staff. There is still an entire month and the closing period ends very soon. We still have good businessmen on our staff who can get us anywhere between an 18-25 final ranking.

I know it sucks that it doesn't look like these kids are coming here, I'm right there with you. But just like when you go to work, do you want to work with people that don't want to be there? The answer is Hell to the No. It's the same thing with these young athletes. If they don't want to be here, find people who do.

I realize that I am defending Riley here if you haven't figured that out yet, but seriously? Your day is ruined after 17 and 18 year old kids decide they don't want to play at Nebraska? Come on, be a better human than that. There will be plenty of chances the next month to do some damage. Do you actually think that our staff is hanging their head about these kids? They knew this was a possibility today and knowing Riley, he will be proactive about the next month.

Wait until NSD, THEN you have a right to question the current Nebraska recruiting tactics. We're going to find out how good this staff is in the next 4 weeks. After that, it's up to Riley and the staff to work on figuring out ways to win big games, because he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

You are right that we'll see if these guys are worth a darn as recruiters in the next 3 weeks. They'll definitely need to be.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Holy Crap.I'm not upset about a Day built for TV to spotlight high schools kids confirming who they are going steady with.I can't believe a group of us have found a way to add another day of pain to the year.Hell signing day is enough for me when kids have flipped and or coaches have pulled offers.Come to think of it since the early 70's when I was able to comprehend the power of red.I never heard of the Army all star game.I did join the army in 1980.Tell me about the many Huskers from the past that sat at a damn table with 5 school logos.I cant wait.

Ha! No.

Elite talent to Lincoln? We'll only get a handful. Even if we're winning. But winning is the key. And to do that, we need to be able to develop the 2&3 stars+walk ones. It just is what it is. We can be as annoyed as we want that we're not getting the talent that OSU and Mich get. It won't change anything. The only thing that changes things is winning. IMO there is only a smaller group of coaches that can do this. This is why I wanted Chris Peterson in Lincoln so badly. Can Riley? I think we'll see this year.

Last edited:
Troll. Putz. Guber. Crank. Bedwetter.

He's landed 5 four star recruits out of California with 2 being some of the highest rated qbs out west in less than two years. This cycle also isn't complete. Now run along and spout off about something else.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Roberts Gebbia McQ Johnson say hi. I understand your overall point but we were only in it for one player today despite what others have said

Georgia guy here and not to stir up anything. But we know the disappointment of being in the final 3-5 for multiple kids making their decisions at these all star games and end up missing on all of them. Happened to us more than once. Luckily for us almost all our guys decided to announce before these shows and the last few members are announcing between now and signing day. But all you can do is keep trying to sign those kids to reach where everyone wants to get to. I know its tough to lose a kid you all thought was coming here, all you can do is keep plugging away and hope the next cycle is better. Good Luck in 17

Nothing is wrong with our recruiting. I might ruffle a few feathers with this comment but even TO didn't recruit top tier talent all the time. That being said it did take top talent for him to finally win it all and it will definitely take that for Riley to win it all. It is just very hard to get kids from LA to come to Nebraska. I would bet 97% of these kids have to look neb up on a map when they first get letters. Plus it's not easy to get to Lincoln from most major cities. If we can consistently sign top 25 classes we will be ok.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
I am disappointed the Huskers weren't able to land their targets today but signing day is still a few weeks away. Never know what can happen between now and then. I'm hoping for the best though!

I have a good friend who is pretty close to Foster Sarell. He indicated that Foster really liked Coach Cavanaugh, but he thought it was going to be pretty hard to beat out the academic opportunities that Stanford could offer Foster.

I'm an OSU guy and Nebraska is now my go to team after OSU as I really like Riley. You will get better when Riley has his QB in place unlike Armstrong. We had four QB's go to the league in a row at OSU under Riley give him a couple and he will make it happen even with three stars, he always has.

We need to start dancing around like idiots. That's what kids like these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT