ADVERTISEMENT

We got our QB's coach!!

The Eastland, Texas, native was Rhule’s QB coach and then OC in his two seasons at Temple in 2015-16. He guided quarterback P.J. Walker to throw for 3,295 yards and 22 touchdowns in 2015.

In his lone season at ASU, Thomas helped quarterback Trenton Bourget break the program’s all-time single-season completion percentage record (71.4%).

Before joining Rhule at Temple, Thomas coached seven seasons in the NFL. He served three years as a QB coach and then an offensive assistant with the Atlanta Falcons, helping Matt Ryan reach 4,500 and 26 touchdowns each year.

is this a good hire? Looks like he's got experience but steelers fans have hated their offense all year.
I don't know how he'll be at Nebraska but the Steeler's job is hardly an indication of his QB coaching skills IMO. He wasn't the official QB coach and not even the official assistant QB coach there.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I really don't want to be negative about this as I was soooooo hoping for a QB coach... when Holgorsen popped up as a possibility I was genuinely excited... I'm sure this will all be good in the long run and many will get behind him as a fan base... if Rhule/Sat and NU's QB room is happy then Awesome!

That said, it kind of feels like when Garret McGuire was hired as WR coach... a bit of a "well... OK then" moment....
What's not to like? From Texas. Coached in Texas. Spent time on 3 different NFL staffs including as qb coach. Has OC experience and college qb coach experience at multiple stops. Has worked with and had success with Rhule.

Homerun hire.

Rhule, yet again, hiring someone he has a personal connection with. I wonder if that was Saban's philosophy - to only hire assistants he'd previously worked with?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Rhule, yet again, hiring someone he has a personal connection with. I wonder if that was Saban's philosophy - to only hire assistants he'd previously worked with?
when you know what a winning culture looks like and what needs to be done to get it and the people you need in those positions to buy in and live it … it’s good to have known commodities.

Reactions: dinglefritz
What I think is the proper way to proceed is to hire a HC for sacrilegious amounts of dough and then micromanage all of his decisions.
Thomas has been coaching either NFL or P5 for 11 of the past 15 years. He's been an OC and QB coach at multiple stops and is a great fit with the new QBs. Given that Rhule is still developing the offense, he will play a role in shaping it and his prior work with Rhule will make this an easier go. He's a great get for the program.

Its a good idea in supporting the team, to support the coach's hires, fires & decisions. That's why he makes the big bucks. If he fails, then we trash him and every choice he ever made, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Good hire coach! But, we are watching...

What I think is the proper way to proceed is to hire a HC for sacrilegious amounts of dough and then micromanage all of his decisions.
Thomas has been coaching either NFL or P5 for 11 of the past 15 years. He's been an OC and QB coach at multiple stops and is a great fit with the new QBs. Given that Rhule is still developing the offense, he will play a role in shaping it and his prior work with Rhule will make this an easier go. He's a great get for the program.
Don't think people are criticizing Thomas. Seems like a good hire and that we should expect better than a top 30-40 offense with what he has to work with in Raiola.

I do too, but I take him off time to time because he is such a train wreck it almost becomes comical and I like that.
Usl Championship Soccer GIF by Oakland Roots SC

Reactions: FissionReaction
I give you Tony White.

Most coaches hire assistants they have worked with.

Reactions: Laner2
Does anyone with knowledge of the 2017 - 2019 Baylor Bears know if Glenn (who was the Co-OC) called the plays or did Jeff Nixon called the plays? I guess he did call plays in 2016 Temple so maybe he becomes co OC? not sure.

Rhule has a pretty large coaching tree and seems to be pretty good at identifying talent. He is 48 with at least 2 P5 head coaches that he found (McGuire, Brown). Seems like he likes to hire young coaches and develop them. Also likes having young coaches for recruiting.

Mike Tomlin may look at his buddy Scott Frost to fill Glenn's position. Assuming Tomlin coaches next year.
taunt-mic-drop.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT