ADVERTISEMENT

Is Raiola ok w/ Danny staying?

Everyone knows Tommy Frazier started during his freshman year, but I’m surprised at how many don’t know he didn’t become the starter until the fifth game of the season.
Missouri, if I remember correctly. Had he been an early enrollee (not an option in the 90s) he may have started game one.

Reactions: Husker Todd
We have plenty to lose and you don’t want to destroy his confidence in his first half of a season. You know damned well the first game we lose where he turns the ball over a couple of times some numbskulls will be calling for a QB change. Going to be tremendous pressure if he starts game one.
This. Those saying we have "nothing to lose" starting him from day 1 aren't thinking about the big picture. If we put him in before he's ready we could destroy the confidence of a player who has the potential to be a program changer for us.

Everyone knows Tommy Frazier started during his freshman year, but I’m surprised at how many don’t know he didn’t become the starter until the fifth game of the season.
Considering the ‘91 team were the co-champs of Big 8, it was amazing TF started at all as a true freshman in ‘92. Also, redshirts were routine. Raiola isn’t coming into a championship team locker room.

This. Those saying we have "nothing to lose" starting him from day 1 aren't thinking about the big picture. If we put him in before he's ready we could destroy the confidence of a player who has the potential to be a program changer for us.
What people are saying is that they think he will be ready.

I agree, if he isn’t ready, don’t start him. Work him in. But I think all of spring ball + fall ball will give us a pretty good idea if he’s ready or not.

It’s hard to know he’ll be good enough to start by week 1. I don’t disagree that he probably will be good enough to start games next fall. The question will be if he’s far enough along mentally to playing against P5 defenses as a true freshman. I think the ideal situation would be to work him in like Dabo did with Lawrence.

It’s going to be interesting to see how they handle it. The transition from high school to college football is rarely smooth. B1G DCs are no joke.
It is possible to ruin a QB, even one with as much talent as DR. We've had multiple QBs of all different experience levels come into Nebraska and quickly develop QB PTSD to the point they were in constant fight or flight, turning the ball over left and right, and ended up basically broken as a player.

I like Casey. If they can get him in a Mentor role and Emergency role, if he can just stay healthy.
Casey is another unreliable QB. What is it with the mentality on this board and the love affair with injury prone QBs with losing history?

Put this in perspective on Casey, Caleb Williams’s freshman college year was Casey’s first SR year. Caleb will be in the NFL next year after 3 years of playing college football, Casey will be on his 4th SR season. That itself screams risk.CT played against Kyler Murray in college!!!

i guess the bright side of Casey and Purdy potentially being on the depth chart, maybe we can land Bryan Medical for some NIL money. Also, if they start and you’re in a pinch for some cash, betting money line against Nebraska would be a sure payout.

We deserve better than Purdy and Casey. I know some of us don’t believe it, but you deserve better.

Minor correction, but it was the sixth game. We started 4-1 with Mike Grant at QB, and we had averaged 42 points per game in those first five. But we looked mostly inept at home against Washington. We had a week off before and after a 55-0 bludgeoning of a pretty bad Oklahoma State squad. Osborne got Tommie ready to get some plays against OSU, and Frazier threw nine passes and ran the ball six times in that OSU game.

TO took the next week off to install more option looks and relied on that against Mizzou and for the rest of the year. The rest of the year included a 52-7 victory over No. 8 Colorado in Frazier's second start, a 49-7 crushing of KU the very next week, and a stupefying 19-10 loss to Marv Seiler and Iowa State in Ames.

Ups and downs, but Frazier was ready to go, as you noted, only a couple of months into his time at NU.

Given that Raiola will have the entire spring semester AND fall camp to prepare for (ahem) UTEP, I'd say the odds of his starting on Aug. 31 are pretty dang good.*

*He has to commit and sign an NIL first, of course.

Last edited:
Casey is another unreliable QB. What is it with the mentality on this board and the love affair with injury prone QBs with losing history?

Put this in perspective on Casey, Caleb Williams’s freshman college year was Casey’s first SR year. Caleb will be in the NFL next year after 3 years of playing college football, Casey will be on his 4th SR season. That itself screams risk.CT played against Kyler Murray in college!!!

i guess the bright side of Casey and Purdy potentially being on the depth chart, maybe we can land Bryan Medical for some NIL money. Also, if they start and you’re in a pinch for some cash, betting money line against Nebraska would be a sure payout.

We deserve better than Purdy and Casey. I know some of us don’t believe it, but you deserve better.

RollingLaugh
I’m not going to make a case for Casey, but using Caleb Williams to make a point in your argument is hilarious. If Caleb is a success in the NFL, I’ll make a donation to USC. The NFL will eat that crying little bitch alive.

0_Screenshot-2023-11-05-at-032611.jpg

FjKl_vRXwAYHA-D.jpg

The person you quoted was suggesting CT as a mentor and emergency QB, not the starter. I would think he would be a great mentor to DR. He’s been around the block. He’s transferred 2 previous times before coming back. He can tell DR what he didn’t like about the transfer portal.

I for one would love to have him on the team again. He would be good for DR.

The person you quoted was suggesting CT as a mentor and emergency QB, not the starter. I would think he would be a great mentor to DR. He’s been around the block. He’s transferred 2 previous times before coming back. He can tell DR what he didn’t like about the transfer portal.

I for one would love to have him on the team again. He would be good for DR.
But not as 1 of 85 scholarships. He's a grad student. Make him a GA.

Reactions: timnsun and arf_man
It is possible to ruin a QB, even one with as much talent as DR. We've had multiple QBs of all different experience levels come into Nebraska and quickly develop QB PTSD to the point they were in constant fight or flight, turning the ball over left and right, and ended up basically broken as a player.
Kicking your locker door is a preventable injury.

Haha you really think DR cares at all about DK? I mean he was going to Georgia to compete against elite QB talent and you think he's afraid to go up against the QB talent we have here? This has got to be a joke. I guess a better question would be Why would Raiola want Danny to leave?
I agree I hope the question was a joke.

We have plenty to lose and you don’t want to destroy his confidence in his first half of a season. You know damned well the first game we lose where he turns the ball over a couple of times some numbskulls will be calling for a QB change. Going to be tremendous pressure if he starts game one.
I guess you’re right. Our fan base would have zero patience and call him a bust and run him out of town

That’s right not even the GOAT Husker QB started right away they had the first month with Mike Grant starting. He

I’m tempering my early expectations. It’s just a lot to ask of an 18 year old. One thing people are criticizing which I think might actually help him is having transferred to multiple high schools. Those different experiences should give him a wider knowledge base to start from.
Like this thought. Played in 3 major metro's from basically coast to coast. 88 tds to 11 int and a 64% completion rate.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Haha you really think DR cares at all about DK? I mean he was going to Georgia to compete against elite QB talent and you think he's afraid to go up against the QB talent we have here? This has got to be a joke. I guess a better question would be Why would Raiola want Danny to leave?

Especially to a conference opponent. You can either have him as a teammate, or potentially play against him.

Reactions: BleedRed78
How does spring ball factor into this? No chance for Tommie… But Raiola will have an entire spring under his belt before the first snap in the fall.
That is a very good point. It’s all set up different now. The occurrence of a true freshman QB starting in 1992 was much less likely than now.

Reactions: timnsun
That’s right not even the GOAT Husker QB started right away they had the first month with Mike Grant starting. He
I'd equate this situation more to Taylor Martinez and Adrian Martinez

Tommie Frazier showed up in late July 1992 to a room that included senior Mike Grant. He didn't play extensively until late October, in an Oct. 24 start at Missouri.

Taylor Martinez spent 2009 as a scout team wide receiver, then spent spring 2010 battling Zac Lee for the starting quarterback spot. He won it and was ready to show off his running ability in the opening, at home against an overmatched foe, Western Kentucky. He was great until a twisted ankle against Mizzou sent that season into a different, yet still successful, orbit.

Adrian Martinez came in spring 2018 to be the starting quarterback, and the goal was for him to get his feet wet against Akron and iron out the problems before the game against Colorado at home. Well, a thunderstorm and a malevolent twist from a CU defensive linemen sent that plan — and the season — spiraling. When he did return, against Michigan and Wisconsin, he wasn't good enough to overcome the injury, as well as make up for the overall lack of talent and coaching on that team.

Dylan Raiola, like the Martinez "brothers," will have a spring to get ready for a slate of home games to open the season, lifting the lid against what should be an overmatched opponent, UTEP. Colorado is the second home game scheduled. But there's no Michigan or Wisconsin coming up on next year's schedule until we face Ohio State in our eighth game. Plenty of time to work out the kinks. I'm not predicting we'll win all seven, but we should be in much shape than we were in 2018 after seven games (1-6).

I assume he would be coming as a NIL walk-on to be a veteran backup. What's not to like about that scenario?

I'd equate this situation more to Taylor Martinez and Adrian Martinez

Tommie Frazier showed up in late July 1992 to a room that included senior Mike Grant. He didn't play extensively until late October, in an Oct. 24 start at Missouri.

Taylor Martinez spent 2009 as a scout team wide receiver, then spent spring 2010 battling Zac Lee for the starting quarterback spot. He won it and was ready to show off his running ability in the opening, at home against an overmatched foe, Western Kentucky. He was great until a twisted ankle against Mizzou sent that season into a different, yet still successful, orbit.

Adrian Martinez came in spring 2018 to be the starting quarterback, and the goal was for him to get his feet wet against Akron and iron out the problems before the game against Colorado at home. Well, a thunderstorm and a malevolent twist from a CU defensive linemen sent that plan — and the season — spiraling. When he did return, against Michigan and Wisconsin, he wasn't good enough to overcome the injury, as well as make up for the overall lack of talent and coaching on that team.

Dylan Raiola, like the Martinez "brothers," will have a spring to get ready for a slate of home games to open the season, lifting the lid against what should be an overmatched opponent, UTEP. Colorado is the second home game scheduled. But there's no Michigan or Wisconsin coming up on next year's schedule until we face Ohio State in our eighth game. Plenty of time to work out the kinks. I'm not predicting we'll win all seven, but we should be in much shape than we were in 2018 after seven games (1-6).
Very good post and I think these are great comparisons (Taylor and Adrian) but I draw different conclusions. I think both were played too early and would have been better off taking it slower. Neither player nor the teams they played on reached their potentials. If Raoila plays too early and makes mistakes, the fans/media will make that his identity and if he wants a fresh start he will have to transfer out. That is just how it is at Nebraska. If you don't believe me just look at how people on this board talk about our current and past QBs, including in this very thread!

I think Daniel could run our current offense better than Dylan. I don’t know how familiar Dylan is with snapping the ball under center, and learning the ins and outs of multiple personnel/formations. Seems with Dylan you need to spread the offense out with 3-4 WR sets. Staff just needs to understand their drastically different QBs stylistically.

I think Daniel could run our current offense better than Dylan. I don’t know how familiar Dylan is with snapping the ball under center, and learning the ins and outs of multiple personnel/formations. Seems with Dylan you need to spread the offense out with 3-4 WR sets. Staff just needs to understand their drastically different QBs stylistically.
Pretty sure Kaelin never took a single snap under center in high school, and they never used 2-backs or an H-back either.

Pretty sure Kaelin never took a single snap under center in high school, and they never used 2-backs or an H-back either.
That may be true, but I think the current offense is more suited to Daniel’s style of play. Not to label him as a game manager, but by the looks of his tape it seems he runs an offense by the book. If the staff tries to get Dylan to run that “pro-style” offense I believe it’ll be like a square peg in a round hole.

Not campaigning for either to start over the other. I just believe putting Raiola under center to hand it off 30 times again is an utter waste of time.

We're not throwing Raiola to the wolves on Day 1. More like Day 8.
2024 Schedule*
Day 1 = UTEP
Day 2 = Colorado's D
Day 3 = Northern Iowa
Day 4 = Illinois
Day 5 = @ Purdue
Day 6 = Rutgers
Day 7 = @ Indiana
Days 8-12 = Wolves

* No, this isn't Iowa's slate.
The other teams are not the wolves

We are the wolves (Nebraska fans and media)

The same people licking their chops to see him start day one will be running him down after his first interception or fumble

Can we please just be patient and let him grow into the role? He hasn't even committed yet

I think the bigger question is if DK is good with staying with DR .. I don't think it makes a bit of difference to Raiola

The other teams are not the wolves

We are the wolves (Nebraska fans and media)

The same people licking their chops to see him start day one will be running him down after his first interception or fumble

Can we please just be patient and let him grow into the role? He hasn't even committed yet
So ... what's the plan?

Purdy is the guy? Haarberg?

I agree that nothing is settled until there's a spring and even fall camp competition, but at this point, it's hard to predict that either of those two (or Kaelin) is likely to be a better option than Raiola. Thus, the conversation turns to the question "Would he be ready on opening day?" That's the discussion we've been having.

My argument is that if Raiola wins the starting job, he'd be in a good position to build some confidence against less-than-stellar defenses before he hits "the wolves" — Ohio State, UCLA, USC, Wisconsin and Iowa.

If he doesn't win the job, there are two bye weeks in the season to re-evaluate the position. I kind of doubt he's coming here to sit, however, even for a few weeks of the regular season,.

Finally, hypotheticals are the lifeblood of discussion boards. Don't take away our fun, my friend!

Hope so. Some QB's want to be the only one.
I REALLY don't think that DR would consider DK too much of a threat. Rather, he's the backup who gets his chance in 2027 when DR is a first round draft choice. I think DK gets over recruited by then, but who knows. He wasn't going to play for us next season anyway.

I think there’s a fair chance that Chubba plays a LOT next fall IF he’s not starting at the beginning of the season. I have a hard time believing they would throw Dylan to the wolves on day one.
AM started on day one.

How would there be a four star quarterback that would have the b@lls to say, “ I shouldn’t need to compete for this position”. Kaelin has all the talent and ability to come in and win that position and most fans would gladly pull for him. That being said, if anyone watches the videos of Raiola playing at Buford, he is pretty unbelievable. Two different analyst on separate videos said he’d probably be a first round choice after his second year. In conclusion, the most hilarious video would be to see Satterfield or Rhule, in a press conference (with a straight face) actually say that we will have a quarterback competition. You might see Haarberg or Purdy start the season but if Raiola is in the stadium he will finish th second half of that first game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT