ADVERTISEMENT

We got our QB's coach!!

He'd rather stay in Austin as an analyst than take the train wreck OC job at Iowa. 😂
Iowa just hiked DC Phil Parker's salary to $1.9 million (earned and worth it) and promoted LB coach Seth Wallace to Assistant Head Coach at $1 million per year.

NO OC, but we may know whom KF wants as his successor.

Tony White?
Donovan Raiola?
Rhule coached White when he played for UCLA. Raiola, I believe, is the only coach on staff who didn’t have any sort of previous relationship with Rhule (that I can find).

I’ve made this point before and it still stands - great HCs hire the best assistants they can find. The others hire their friends.

Rhule coached White when he played for UCLA. Raiola, I believe, is the only coach on staff who didn’t have any sort of previous relationship with Rhule (that I can find).

I’ve made this point before and it still stands - great HCs hire the best assistants they can find. The others hire their friends.
Good catch on UCLA.

Your implication that Rhule isn't a good coach, however, may be premature.

At least I hope so. I'd rather hope than bitch.

Meanwhile, in Iowegia, the search for an OC hits a snag:

KKKirk: Paul, how would you like to become the OC of the Hawkeyes?

Paul Chryst:

6538553c6b637ce47c4f1afdcfba76a8.gif

Last edited:
not sure how to feel about this one. the optimist in me says Rhule knows what he's doing.

the realist in me says this will be a hindsight 20/20 "he hired all of his buddies" moment
Didn't we all bit*h about Frost, Riley and Pelini doing the same thing? Coaches are crazy loyal and sure do not like to look outside the box.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I do too, but I take him off time to time because he is such a train wreck it almost becomes comical and I like that.
Once they go in my Ignore Hopper, its pretty tough to get out. LOL
I'm from the school of you don't reward bad behavior, or in this case, horseshit opinions.

The only exception being I unignored Kong for a couple of posts that I wanted to discuss.

Didn't we all bit*h about Frost, Riley and Pelini doing the same thing? Coaches are crazy loyal and sure do not like to look outside the box.
Except Saban. He hired the best, period.
That’s why he won a ton of rings and other guys just get fired.

But I do like this hire.

Reactions: FissionReaction

Saban's First staff. Go ahead and tell me they were the best assistants you knew of in 2007.

RBBurton BurnsNo known connections
OLJoe PendryCrossed Paths
DBKirby SmartLSU, Dolphins
OCMajor ApplewhiteNo known connections
DC Kevin SteeleNo known connections
WR Curt CignettiWest Virginia overlap
DLBo DavisLSU, Dolphins
TERon MiddletonNo Known
OLBLance ThompsonLSU

In fairness it was more because their buddies were not Power 5 coaches or with Power 5 coaching backgrounds.

Reactions: 10Trvln
Jesus...we hire a QB coach from an NFL staff and some people still find something to bitch about. You don't make it to that level without knowing your shit. I'd also assume this hire had been mentioned to Raoila's at some point too. As far as hiring his buddies, I'm fine with him hiring guys he has worked with and had success with at multiple stops. Seems like a good idea to me
Thank you Power thank you

Reactions: Power_I_82
Hard to make that comparison with Frost and Pelini. Two guys that had little (1 yr-Frost), & no (Pelini) previous HC experience/resume.
Rhule, older than Frost, and much more HC experience than both, when taking over as HC of Nebraska.
Rhule, unlike those two, has a track record of molding coaches.
Riley had experience, but there was just a lot wrong with that hire, not to mention the ignorant Ginger AD was a big part of the problem with that whole debacle.

Probably not a. great situation for those on this site that put Satterfield on a pedestal though.

Probably not a. great situation for those on this site that put Satterfield on a pedestal though.
Were there really any? I think the majority were down on him and some said "not his fault due to injuries and poor qb play". But I am drawing a blank when thinking about on a pedestal. Wait and see yes but don't recall anyone thinking he's better than sliced bread

Were there really any? I think the majority were down on him and some said "not his fault due to injuries and poor qb play". But I am drawing a blank when thinking about on a pedestal. Wait and see yes but don't recall anyone thinking he's better than sliced bread
For me pedestal = not replaceable.

Tom Osborne hired coaches with minor coaching pedigrees throughout his tenure. Head coaches tend to hire people they know they can work with. I’m sure White’s hire was based upon what what he did as DC, not the fact they briefly overlapped at UCLA. Rhule has plenty of former players, but the guys he hires are FB gym rats like Cooper and Knighton.

Tom Osborne hired coaches with minor coaching pedigrees throughout his tenure. Head coaches tend to hire people they know they can work with. I’m sure White’s hire was based upon what what he did as DC, not the fact they briefly overlapped at UCLA. Rhule has plenty of former players, but the guys he hires are FB gym rats like Cooper and Knighton.
I remember there were some grumbling when Dvoracek and Knighton were hired due to their lack of experience. They turned out to be some of Rhule's best hires so far. There are some rumors floating around that the staff thinks Dvoracek will be a DC sooner rather than later.

Well I don't recall anyone from this board ever putting Satt on a pedestal. Quite the contrary. BUT unlike many posters here, I'm not willing to criticize Satt at this point. I liked his approach of fitting the offensive scheme to the talent he had available and in particular with an eye toward the OL. Now last season was a bad offense but I attribute that to the lack of QB talent and horrible turnovers. I'll give Satt a grade AFTER I see what he does with some talent available to scheme around.

Dan Young went from Creighton Prep hs coach to TO's staff. He seemed to do ok.

Reactions: ihuskcorn
I remember there were some grumbling when Dvoracek and Knighton were hired due to their lack of experience. They turned out to be some of Rhule's best hires so far. There are some rumors floating around that the staff thinks Dvoracek will be a DC sooner rather than later.
Hire good young people and eventually they “graduate” to better jobs. Coaches that do this extend their network of influence and have access to a deeper pool of quality assistants.

Yep. It's normal to hire guys you've worked with before. The trick is to filter out the ones that are past their prime, in over their heads, or just not very good.
How big is the network of people he has familiarity with at this point in his coaching career? How many people did he hire at Nebraska from that pool? He can be selective from his network and still fill most of his roster with people that he knows something about. And despite that, he kept Raiola even though he didn’t know him. He also didn’t coach with Bob Wager.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT