Jul 1, 2004
Martinez - #1 QB
Washington #3 RB
Hunt #2 WR
Tannor #2 OLB
Cam Taylor #2 CB
Clark #2 CB
Pickering #1 PK

Then with transfers (Neal #1 S) and JUCOs (Williams #1WR, Bell #1 RB, D Williams #2 S, Woodyard #3 WR, Honas #2 ILB). Dixon wasn't on the chart (there's a thread already about this) but I expect he'll play a lot situationally.

So finally a depth chart so there's finally news to discuss. We needed help at CB, but I'm still a little surprised that we have 2 true freshman on the depth chart. The higher rated recruits were the safeties, but the competition there was too much. Martinez at QB will be discussed ad-nauseam. Small surprise to me, but it'll take same game day success for him to secure the #1 spot for good.

And I probably missed some newcomer. Lots of them.
Edit: Miles Jones #4 RB

I don’t want to sound naive but I hadn’t even heard of Miles Jones. Slightly surprised he’s above Wilbon and Bradley. His size suggests a skat back - the kind of player Frost likes.

I don’t want to sound naive but I hadn’t even heard of Miles Jones. Slightly surprised he’s above Wilbon and Bradley. His size suggests a skat back - the kind of player Frost likes.

I for one have been high on him since we signed him..
He is versatile and can play both Running back and the Duck R position.. He and Maurice Washington, Spielman and Lindsay can score in a blink of an eye...:Cool:

Last edited:
True freshman kicker and QB. Go easy Husker Nation, they will make mistakes like Lightbourn did. Give it time.

Agreed there HBK...these guys will look great at times and there will be times there screw up. Us Huskers have to be patient this year. There will up and downs. Hopefully it’s not super high and super lows like a bipolar chick ;)

I remember being particularly impressed with his video last year. He ran a 10.7 100 meters, so he can move pretty fast.

Looks good to recruits...hey if you come here we will consider playing you from day 1. Phil Elmassian used to say that every true freshman that starts equates to 1 loss. We'll see.

True freshman kicker and QB. Go easy Husker Nation, they will make mistakes like Lightbourn did. Give it time.

Mistakes are expected, but hopefully their season isn't as rough as lightbourn's first was. He was awful that first year.

On a day that calls for nothing but unbridled optimism, I will point out that NU has had pretty good luck with Freshman kickers in the past. We have less experience with true-Frosh QBs...but it's not uncommon for those guys to have success.

It helps that no one expects NU to challenge for a play-off spot or B1G title. It's reasonable to expect some lumps, but there were going to be lumps regardless of who topped the depth chart. If there is one thing we're accustomed to, it's lumps.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Trying to remember the last time we had a true frosh start. Must not have been good if I can't remember :p Tommie was great as a freshman, but he didn't start game 1. I remember how pissed off I was we lost to Washington. Next game Tommie starts and the rest is history. Remember the halloween can-o-whoopass they laid on Colorado?

Trying to remember the last time we had a true frosh start. Must not have been good if I can't remember :p Tommie was great as a freshman, but he didn't start game 1. I remember how pissed off I was we lost to Washington. Next game Tommie starts and the rest is history. Remember the halloween can-o-whoopass they laid on Colorado?
Cody Green at Baylor in 2009.

I think it wasn't the very next game after Washington that Frazier started. I watched that UW game's ESPN broadcast on YouTube a couple years ago, Frazier didn't even come into the game to relieve Mike Grant that night (first UW night game btw). I believe Frazier's first start was 3 games later at Missouri.

Reactions: dckchusker

Are you meaning you haven't heard of him at all, or you just didn't hear about him in fall camp?

If its the latter, that was due to a quad strain keeping him out of practice for part of fall camp. He became 100% a little over a week ago, and has been dynamic. Jones was the offensive MVP at American Heritage HS in Florida, a team that finished ranked 6th Nationally in 2017. He had offers from Georgia, Florida, Wisconsin, Miss State, Ole Miss, and Vandy before choosing the Huskers.

Are you meaning you haven't heard of him at all, or you just didn't hear about him in fall camp?

If its the latter, that was due to a quad strain keeping him out of practice for part of fall camp. He became 100% a little over a week ago, and has been dynamic. Jones was the offensive MVP at American Heritage HS in Florida, a team that finished ranked 6th Nationally in 2017. He had offers from Georgia, Florida, Wisconsin, Miss State, Ole Miss, and Vandy before choosing the Huskers.

Wow! That's really something.....I had no idea he was a real-deal stud. I stand humbly corrected!

Holy Moly, we've got more talent & depth at RB than I can comprehend. If our OLine & TEs can improve somewhat we'll be dangerous as hell. Then, add to that a warp-7 dual threat qb.......it's gonna be fun!

As was pointed out in the trivia thread, the last time a true frosh QB started was Cody Green. But it was at home against Oklahoma, not at Baylor

Miles Jones is a guy that Mikel Severe has been all over as a game changer. Looking at the entire depth chart, we are a very young team with readily apparent fill ins for the few seniors we do lose after this year. Next year we could be very dangerous IF guys prosper under Frost's coaching like I think they will.

Miles Jones is a guy that Mikel Severe has been all over as a game changer. Looking at the entire depth chart, we are a very young team with readily apparent fill ins for the few seniors we do lose after this year. Next year we could be very dangerous IF guys prosper under Frost's coaching like I think they will.

I can’t say anything for our D at this point but offensively we’ll be pretty damn potent and talked about sooner rather than later. Ithink we have some guys right now that will help smooth the transition.

As was pointed out in the trivia thread, the last time a true frosh QB started was Cody Green. But it was at home against Oklahoma, not at Baylor

It was Baylor on the road we won like 24-10. Crick had about 4 sacks...I remember Cody Green giving everyone 5 as they walked in the tunnel at half.

Oklahoma game was after that and Cody Green was pulled.

I can’t remember the last time we had so many true freshmen in the two deep. Let alone starting at QB. Hopefully Martinez lasts longer then Cody Green did, if it plays out the same...we shall see Gebbia playing and starting very soon ;)

IIRC, it was Held that commented on Miles Jones last week about his "home run ability" and that is why he has been focusing solely on RB instead of the Duck R WR/RB position in the latter part of fall camp.

Sounds like this staff really wants to have some big plays come from the speedsters and plans to get the ball in their hands.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT