ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart vs. Illinois released

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha

Some notes: true frosh DeAndre Barnes now backing up Isaac Gifford at the rover spot.

Still Alvano OR Bleekrode. (Make the switch)

Fleeks now listed as no. 2 RB

Phalen Sanford starting at safety for Singleton who is already ruled out for the game.

Crap. Singleton is one of our best. What about Reimer and Lenhardt?
Is it true about Cochran being injured? Anyone know about jacob hood from Georgia? If he might in the rotation eventually, it looked like Teddy P struggled as well, i know it was against Michigan and he is young still struggled never the less.

Is it true about Cochran being injured? Anyone know about jacob hood from Georgia? If he might in the rotation eventually, it looked like Teddy P struggled as well, i know it was against Michigan and he is young still struggled never the less.

Hood is a long ways from being able to play. Knaack or Guttola are much more likely.

Hood is a long ways from being able to play. Knaack or Guttola are much more likely.
I thought he looked like he was far from playing shape. More likely be ready next year hopefully. You hate to bring in a portal guy and not make much of an impact.

Reactions: headcard
I thought he looked like he was far from playing shape. More likely be ready next year hopefully. You hate to bring in a portal guy and not make much of an impact.
I think they are going to process him. He's a bust. Just a large human that has injury problems and weight issues. The way our recruiting class is looking, there is going to be some really tough discussions for a decent amount of players.

I think they are going to process him. He's a bust. Just a large human that has injury problems and weight issues. The way our recruiting class is looking, there is going to be some really tough discussions for a decent amount of players.
Indeed. Hopefully when our staff goes shopping next year we can find some portal or juco guys.

Reactions: headcard
"Still Alvano OR Bleekrode. (Make the switch)"

Agree. Make the switch. This BS about Kickers and QB's having fragile psyches and not being held to the same standard of play as other positions is just that - BS.

In high school I played alongside a QB who was severely underperforming yet the coaches kept putting him out there. It was very deflating for the rest of the team.

"Still Alvano OR Bleekrode. (Make the switch)"

Agree. Make the switch. This BS about Kickers and QB's having fragile psyches and not being held to the same standard of play as other positions is just that - BS.

In high school I played alongside a QB who was severely underperforming yet the coaches kept putting him out there. It was very deflating for the rest of the team.
Kicker is so fricking undervalued. Not being able to get reliable field goals is a massive problem for any team and a big reason why teams lose a lot of tight games. I think there is room in every class for 2 scholarship kickers. It's also demoralizing to the team to leave points on the board or be forced to go for it on 4th down in situations that would normally warrant a field goal.

Reactions: pascal
I feel the same way about the WR room. Start playing those guys no matter what. If we are going to suck, play the youngsters.
Except he’s got serious athleticism. maybe like some of these guys a change in coaching was good for him. He was at the podium saying he was one of the guys, so he’s put the pressure on himself. Going to be a fun watch.

Can’t wait!
Bad Santa Pain GIF by Sky

The more I think about it the more I’m surprised that Rhule went so far out on a limb regarding this week’s game.

Illinois is no measuring stick. Last week was.

Pushing his chips to the middle mere weeks after reiterating the years long process he and his staff have seen succeed is a bit odd and seemingly out of character.

Wonder what made him think he had to do that. Now a loss sets him up for some pretty direct lines of questioning.

The more I think about it the more I’m surprised that Rhule went so far out on a limb regarding this week’s game.

Pushing his chips to the middle mere weeks after reiterating the years long process he and his staff have seen succeed is a bit odd and seemingly out of character.

Wonder what made him think he had to do that. Now a loss sets him up for some pretty direct lines of questioning.
He has to motivate the team and is trying literally everything right now. Hes right, at some point its on them to play football and forget all the b.s.
Personally it seemed like he is grasping and hoping. I agree with you that it seems like he is setting himself up for some real questions if they lose. MR is a football guy and isnt thinking about losing, hes trying to get his kids to do that too. Losses happen but when all they do is think about them they happen more and more.

Except he’s got serious athleticism. maybe like some of these guys a change in coaching was good for him. He was at the podium saying he was one of the guys, so he’s put the pressure on himself. Going to be a fun watch.
I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse, but I agree with you. Phalen Sanford has a high level of athleticism, there is no doubt. Speed, Leaping ability etc and tests off the charts. With that said, that doesn't always transfer to the football field. There is a reason he wasn't playing. Yes, he is decent on special teams, but no near as complex as actually playing D. He has rotated in a decent amount this year, but is kinda meh. Like I said, I love the Huskers and want them to do well including the players. If I had my choice though, I say go with the young guy that is going to help us down the road and not the guy who is a lifer on ST and that is about it. Hopefully we can start to turn the roster over and start to get winners on the team and people who have a little nasty to them. This team lacks full on leaders on both sides of the ball. The closest we've had to that in a while is JoJo and Stille. Dudes that played nasty and you could count on every week.

He was pissed.

Reactions: king_kong_
He was pissed.
I get panned big time for what I say here when I’m pissed. Reported, ignored, etc.

Sometimes for several years after the fact. To many, those moments are indelible. First thing that comes to mind

Wonder what his reception will be if we fall short on Friday

I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse, but I agree with you. Phalen Sanford has a high level of athleticism, there is no doubt. Speed, Leaping ability etc and tests off the charts. With that said, that doesn't always transfer to the football field. There is a reason he wasn't playing. Yes, he is decent on special teams, but no near as complex as actually playing D. He has rotated in a decent amount this year, but is kinda meh. Like I said, I love the Huskers and want them to do well including the players. If I had my choice though, I say go with the young guy that is going to help us down the road and not the guy who is a lifer on ST and that is about it. Hopefully we can start to turn the roster over and start to get winners on the team and people who have a little nasty to them. This team lacks full on leaders on both sides of the ball. The closest we've had to that in a while is JoJo and Stille. Dudes that played nasty and you could count on every week.
You could say the same about Josh Bullocks. Never sniffed the field but he's been pretty good this year with the new staff.

“Wonder what his reception will be if we fall short on Friday”

When you say stuff like this it seems like you want to increase the impact of a loss.

It’s Rhules 1st year. Portal qb didn’t work out. Key players injured. I want us to beat Bielma bad, but if we dont, I will consider the circumstances and not rip Rhule.

Will you?

When you say stuff like this it seems like you want to increase the impact of a loss.

It’s Rhules 1st year. Portal qb didn’t work out. Key players injured. I want us to beat Bielma bad, but if we dont, I will consider the circumstances and not rip Rhule.

Will you?
I’m in it for the long run

Will you?
I’m not the one who uncharacteristically put a target on my back into a microphone

Simply making an observation and asking what seems to be a reasonable question based on it

To be very clear, I will be betting more than anyone on this board on NU moneyline on Friday

My money is where my heart is. Always.

You all can’t say the same

I get panned big time for what I say here when I’m pissed. Reported, ignored, etc.

Sometimes for several years after the fact. To many, those moments are indelible. First thing that comes to mind

Wonder what his reception will be if we fall short on Friday
You’re no Matt Rhule.

You’re no Matt Rhule.
It would not surprise me to see some (most?) hold an anonymous message board poster to higher standards than the Head Coach of the University of Nebraska Football program

Unearned, nearly infinite benefit of the doubt is one of several unpublished perks of the job

Last edited:

Illinois has beat us the last three years and every year we say they shouldn’t have beat us. This is a big game from a culture perspective to win the games we should. Could help get a monkey off our back and Rhule knows it’s these games that give the opportunity to teach them how to win.

I think you misheard what he said. He wasn't talking about winning or losing. He was talking about his players buying in.

Reactions: Baxter48

How did he do that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT