ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Shuffle at Texas

Badger Pete

Walk On
Dec 22, 2013
Interesting article about the Texas QB room. Ewers takes over, Card transfers to Purdue, Murphy moves to #1 backup followed by Manning. Manning has thrown only 5 passes but moves up depth chart at end of season to #1 backup, then Murphy enters portal. Have to believe Ewers is entering draft with Murphy transferring. All these guys were 4-stars or better.

Not sure where Huskers are going to end up, but shows you how much work they have to do in the QB room.

Reactions: redwine65
I did'nt know ewers was entering the draft...I know they have the money to throw at anyone but, seems like they are getting thin at qb

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Interesting article about the Texas QB room. Ewers takes over, Card transfers to Purdue, Murphy moves to #1 backup followed by Manning. Manning has thrown only 5 passes but moves up depth chart at end of season to #1 backup, then Murphy enters portal. Have to believe Ewers is entering draft with Murphy transferring. All these guys were 4-stars or better.

Not sure where Huskers are going to end up, but shows you how much work they have to do in the QB room.

We should be so unfortunate. Lol.

Reactions: king_kong_
I did'nt know ewers was entering the draft...I know they have the money to throw at anyone but, seems like they are getting thin at qb
Ewers hasn't announced his intentions publicly. And, from Texas insiders who are close to Quinn's advisors it's 80-90% sure he's coming back to Austin.

Murphy was always the odd man out when Manning signed last year. They'll be signing Trey Owens on Wednesday and KJ Lacey is committed for '25. Thin is laughable.

This really just continues to confirm to me anyway is that virtually every Top Shelf program has issues with the QB carrousel... we're not exempt and the fact that we're in good company is somewhat assuring to me as messed up as that sounds...

This really just continues to confirm to me anyway is that virtually every Top Shelf program has issues with the QB carrousel... we're not exempt and the fact that we're in good company is somewhat assuring to me as messed up as that sounds...
Top shelf programs have issues because they have too many top shelf QBs to choose from

We are hardly in that same company

Ewers hasn't announced his intentions publicly. And, from Texas insiders who are close to Quinn's advisors it's 80-90% sure he's coming back to Austin.

Murphy was always the odd man out when Manning signed last year. They'll be signing Trey Owens on Wednesday and KJ Lacey is committed for '25. Thin is laughable.
read again, the info was ewers is going to the draft..that and murphy transferring would leave no experience.

Top shelf programs have issues because they have too many top shelf QBs to choose from

We are hardly in that same company
2023 season - Absolutley
2023-24 off season... the fact that we're even having conversations about 5*DR, 5* McCord, 4*DK & yes, even 4* Chubba and also 4* Manske from Algona gives me hope that NU is on the right direction here....

2023 season - Absolutley
2023-24 off season... the fact that we're even having conversations about 5*DR, 5* McCord, 4*DK & yes, even 4* Chubba and also 4* Manske from Algona gives me hope that NU is on the right direction here....
Expectations have fallen that low huh?

Reactions: Dean Pope
(2) 5 stars & (3) 4 star QBs (2 of them being Elite 11 finalists) that are all in recent conversation about taking the helm at NU is low expectations?
What does "being in the conversation" mean? Who gives a shit. Elite teams rotate through 5 star qb's like it's nothing.

What does "being in the conversation" mean? Who gives a shit. Elite teams rotate through 5 star qb's like it's nothing.
It's called finally making a marked improvement with high level talent at this position... something this team has not enjoyed for decades and it's refreshing to see... no need to be a cantankerous ass about it... are you pissed that Dylan is coming too?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Expectations have fallen that low huh?
Given that we’ve had one QB in our history who had an impact in the NFL would suggest that our QB expectations have never been overly high. But those not-so-great expectations certainly made the signings of Gill, Frazier and Crouch highly exciting. And now Raiola and DK.

Given that we’ve had one QB in our history who had an impact in the NFL would suggest that our QB expectations have never been overly high. But those not-so-great expectations certainly made the signings of Gill, Frazier and Crouch highly exciting. And now Raiola and DK.
"Impact in the NFL" has never been the measure of greatness for a Nebraska quarterback. The measure has been how well they ran NU's unique offense and, in the words of Kong and others, how often they won games.

"Impact in the NFL" has never been the measure of greatness for a Nebraska quarterback. The measure has been how well they ran NU's unique offense and, in the words of Kong and others, how often they won games.
Given that I’ve been following them closely since 1967 I’m well aware of this. But you’re suggesting we’ve always had high recruiting expectations for the position, which is sadly not true.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Very true … but in present day any quality QB recruit measures a potential school based on how well that program can prepare them to make an “impact in the NFL”

Reactions: IndyHusker
All this squabbling about QBs when another step up in level of Oline play added to Tony’s D make NU a top 25 program.

Reactions: IndyHusker
Is that true? Georgia seemed pretty upset DR flipped and they didn't seem to replace him with a 5 star.
Georgia recruited 2 of the best Qb’s in this years recruiting cycle. Losing DR was not the end of the world , heck they still had the #1 recruiting class without a 5 star QB in DR .

Reactions: oldjar07
Georgia recruited 2 of the best Qb’s in this years recruiting cycle. Losing DR was not the end of the world , heck they still had the #1 recruiting class without a 5 star QB in DR .
According to Rivals, UGA has signed one 5 star in the last 6 recruiting classes. I wouldn't exactly call that rotating through 5 stars. OP is just once again trying to downplay the signing of DR by NU.

2023 season - Absolutley
still don't understand why people keep saying danny k has 4 stars because he doesnt anywhere

Well I think it probably hinges on how ewers plays in the playoffs. if he had to pick right now he would be returning next year... at least the staff thinks he's going to stay I can tell you that much. If he leads his team to a national championship and looks really good doing so I think that will probably change. It comes down to where the scouts think he will go in the draft.
You can ignore all the articles about arch transferring that's not going to happen this year. He came to learn from sark and he's a very mature player that understands he needs to develop.

"Impact in the NFL" has never been the measure of greatness for a Nebraska quarterback. The measure has been how well they ran NU's unique offense and, in the words of Kong and others, how often they won ga

Very true … but in present day any quality QB recruit measures a potential school based on how well that program can prepare them to make an “impact in the NFL”

I completely agree with what you say. Indy's statement was that NU QB expectations have never been high. Simply untrue.

PS. Indy, I got ya beat! Been a fan since 65. Do you live in Indianapolis? If you ever go to any of the Hoosiers for Huskers events, we've likely met. I lived there for 22 years but moved back to God's Country when I retired two years ago.
Happy Holidays!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT