ADVERTISEMENT

Travel Tips for Visiting Fans? (LONG)

Apr 15, 2016
WARNING: this is long and definitely not for you if you dislike people asking for free advice.

My buddies and I are big college football fans, and we love traveling to new places for games. We’re working on a B1G blog that gives tips to other football fans when they travel to away games, and I was hoping you’d indulge me on some questions about Nebraska football. Basically, what I am asking is that if you and I met randomly on an airplane and I told you all about my trip to a Nebraska football game, you wouldn’t have to say, “You did it all wrong, next time you should …”

NOTE: Let me explain why I took this research approach over simply Googling. The idea for the blog is to compile game-day tips for fans by fans, not simply an aggregation of Google search results (which are too often based on which restaurant or hotel has the best SEO team). Simply slapping some Google results on the blog would be easier, but I believe it would lack a certain amount of richness that can only be obtained through human feedback. This is my attempt to get some human feedback from those who are most familiar with Nebraska Football.

Feel free to answer any or all of the questions that you’d like, and if you can think of any other info I’ve overlooked feel free to throw that in there too!

TRAVEL

1. What’s the most convenient/cheapest airport to fly into? Is there a specific airline that is best/cheapest to fly in on?

2. Suppose some travelers are a little more adventurous and don’t mind flying into an airport that’s a 3-4 hour drive away from the game if it would make for a cool drive or takes them by some cool sites/attractions – anything like that people should know about when they’re booking flights?

3. Is a rental car necessary? How is the public transportation system/Uber in the area?

HOTEL

4. What’s the hotel situation like over the weekend of a game? How good is airbnb, vrbo, etc? Are there any great resort towns nearby to stay at for a couple days?

FOOD

5. What are your favorite places to eat at during the college football season? How is the food in the stadium (anything a one-time visitor can’t leave the stadium without eating)?

TICKETS

6. What is the best option for visiting fans to buy game tickets? School Ticket office? StubHub? Local Classifieds?

TAILGATING

7. Any general tailgating advice for a first-timer at game? Specific areas for visiting fans?

TRADITIONS

8. Some schools have unique game day traditions – do you guys do anything that’d be worth a visitor planning their schedule around? Are there any buildings or sites near campus or the stadium that visitors should check out?

OTHER ATTRACTIONS

9. If fans decide to make this more of a family vacation, what local sites/attractions should they make room for on their schedule? Any can’t-miss Historical/Educational or Fun/Entertainment sites?

SAFETY

10. Are there any general safety issues fans should be aware of? Any areas visitors should avoid for parking, walking, etc? I know every fan base has its share of bad apples, but would you classify your general fan base as hospitable/neutral/in-hospitable?

OTHER BIG TEN SCHOOLS

11. Lastly, since I'm trying to do this for all the teams in the B1G, I thought I'd ask if you have any experience traveling to other schools in the conference? Favorite/Least Favorite B1G school to visit for games? Any horror or success stories or general advice you'd give from your experiences?

As mentioned, feel free to answer any/all/none of the questions, and throw on any extra info that I may have overlooked. I’ll be sure to report back when our blog is posted so that you can see the finished product!

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
3. Uber is very good in Lincoln, would not worry about getting a rental car.

11. Went to Minneapolis in 2013 and loved it. I thought it was a great college environment for being a fairly large city.

1&2. Denver is the closest airport. Maybe Chicago
3. We have no roads. You will need a covered wagon because there are no gas stations
4. You can sleep in a tent at a town park. Just make sure to pay your 2 bits beforehand.
5. Corn right off the ear. The corn fields literally go right up to the stadium gates.
6. Barter. Maybe trade your prize rooster for a game ticket?
7. What is a "tailgate"
8. The kids playing their horns and music boxes in the band section are fine entertainment during the game.
9. Go see one of the last living mammoths at Morrill Barn on campus
10. Watch for those city slickers. You can tell who they are when their shoes are not covered in cow shit.
11. Not sure how one would go about getting to another school. Our team leaves on the railroad on the Sunday morning after games, praying they will get to the opponents location on time. We don't need to be crowding up the only rail and make sure the team has a shot to get there.

I hope this helps.

I would go to epply airport in Omaha, rent a car, I think Duncan airport would be more expensive.
there's a darth husker page that talks about a lot of it

If we could collect info on all the big schools in this thread, it would be great to pin and use as a reference.

Reactions: TheNewNU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT