ADVERTISEMENT

The Difference between Yards and Points

The_Glove_Man

Senior
Jun 9, 2010
Madison, WI
It's pretty clear that the offense can move the ball, but struggles getting it into the end zone.

If you compare the number of yards each NCAA team has to go for each point it scores, we are 119 out of 130 teams. The only reason we are even in these games is because we are #16 in the country in total offensive yardage.

Whether it is failing to convert 4th and 1, turning the ball over, losing field position battles, settling for field goals in the red zone... we are not converting our productivity into points.

I started worrying that this was a symptom of Frost's offense -- hard to defend in space, but easy to defend when the field gets small, either because we're in the red zone, or because we're in must-get short-yardage situations.

I was comforted to know that UCF last year was #7 in the nation in total offense and NUMBER ONE in scoring offense. Productive AND efficient. Meanwhile, Nebraska was #91 in total offense.

Yes, I know it is early in the season, but my initial leap to a conclusion is that we are seeing some of the pieces of the puzzle, and we are missing some of the pieces of the puzzle. The rest of the pieces will come. We'll see some exciting football this year, and some messy football, but it might be a while before we see dominating football. Enjoy and believe.

Sounds like a team learning a new offense and learning how to win. Penalties, missed blocks, drops will lessen over time and yards will become points. And Ls will become Ws. Every situation is different, this team has a completely different scheme on both sides of the ball, they new qbs, new starting rbs, and a line that is blocking in a scheme they weren't recruited for....the fact that we have so many yards is impressive considering the 6 turnovers and hundreds of yards of penalties. We easily could be 2-0...it wouldn't matter...in fact I would expect us to play worse after 2-0 than 0-2. Winning tends to cover mistakes. It is better to have consequences for poor play, learn that lack of details for both players and coaches can hurt you. I fully expect this team to have many surprises the rest of the way if they are healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT