ADVERTISEMENT

The 2021 O-Line and the importance of 2020

spinner4

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
The 2021 offensive line will be very talented but likely very inexperienced.

a way too early projection
LT- Corcoran
LG- Piper
C- Jurgens
RG- W Farniok or Hixson or Sichterman
RT- Benhart

that would likely mean 2 returning starters on O-lIne (3 including Hixson, but I would expect him to kind of fade away for better talent). Anyways a young o-line against a dangerous schedule like 2021 could be trouble. That’s why I think it’s important for Scott to really produce some equity in 2020. Theoretically the complete o-line returns in 2020, (though I expect Benhart to end up taking Farnioks job and Farniok to take Hixsons).
We return our starting QB & RB and have upgrades at receiver.

defense front 7 is obviously the question mark for 2020 but I just don’t see a possibility of anything but an upgrade at LB. last years LB play was the most underwhelming LB I’ve ever seen in my life time. But I just don’t see any good reason we can’t win 9 to 10 next year. There’s just no more excuses for Frost going forward. And please don’t blame a difficult schedule in 2020. It’s not that bad. Every year the schedule is going to be difficult. Nebraska plays in a strong conference. If you blame the schedule all your really saying is Nebraska can’t beat good competition and that shouldn’t be ok.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie

LT- Corcoran
LG- Piper
C- Jurgens
RT- Benhart

that would likely mean 2 returning starters on O-lIne (3 including Hixson, but I would expect him to kind of fade away for better talent). Anyways a young o-line against a dangerous schedule like 2021 could be trouble. That’s why I think it’s important for Scott to really produce some equity in 2020. Theoretically the complete o-line returns in 2020, (though I expect Benhart to end up taking Farnioks job and Farniok to take Hixsons).

defense front 7 is obviously the question mark for 2020 but I just don’t see a possibility of anything but an upgrade at LB. last years LB play was the most underwhelming LB I’ve ever seen in my life time. But I just don’t see any good reason we can’t win 9 to 10 next year. There’s just no more excuses for Frost going forward. And please don’t blame a difficult schedule in 2020. It’s not that bad. Every year the schedule is going to be difficult. Nebraska plays in a strong conference. If you blame the schedule all your really saying is Nebraska can’t beat good competition and that shouldn’t be ok.
I bet the transfer from CSU is the RG.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Could be. That spot is really up for grabs. But I do expect Piper to be one of them. But I don’t expect either to start this year unless there’s an injury
I agree, but I could definitely see Piper starting this year. I think he and Wilson will have quite the battle for that spot this year, with Hixon and Bando probably in the mix too.

LT- Corcoran
LG- Piper
C- Jurgens
RT- Benhart

i wouldn’t be surprised to see a line up like this:

B. Banks OT
T. Corcoran OG
C. Jurgens OC
E. Piper OG
B. Benhart OT

That’s one area I’ll never worry about again. Scott Frost and Z. Duval are huge about lifting and building their players up. We don’t have Mike Riley and that optional BS here anymore.

sx3kn4nosiikdyaite0t

I think we get the point my man. Again, Frost is huge about lifting and he makes it clear to his recruits when he’s recruiting his players. He expects them all to work hard and hit those weights just as hard.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
I agree, but I could definitely see Piper starting this year. I think he and Wilson will have quite the battle for that spot this year, with Hixon and Bando probably in the mix too.
If Boe Wilson is even in the mix this year, we are in trouble.

If Boe Wilson is even in the mix this year, we are in trouble.
I think a 21 consecutive game starter and a kid that’s played in every game during his eligibility @ Nebraska is going to be in the Mix.

it’s really cool to see the O-line and AM show up to Jurgens Track & Field match yesterday. We should start to really see more unity on the field next year.

I think a 21 consecutive game starter and a kid that’s played in every game during his eligibility @ Nebraska is going to be in the Mix.

it’s really cool to see the O-line and AM show up to Jurgens Track & Field match yesterday. We should start to really see more unity on the field next year.
A unity video in the off-season would be really cool!

I think we get the point my man. Again, Frost is huge about lifting and he makes it clear to his recruits when he’s recruiting his players. He expects them all to work hard and hit those weights just as hard.
Really hope at some point he adopts the Epply athletic index. We used to be as fast and athletic as we were strong. Unless being Iowa is our only goal.

Really hope at some point he adopts the Epply athletic index. We used to be as fast and athletic as we were strong. Unless being Iowa is our only goal.

well, here’s the inside on Zach Duval...myself, I think our players are in good hands considering what he’s been around and done...

“Honors & Awards

• 2017 Football Scoop Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Year
The 2017 National Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year, Zach Duval is in his second season as Nebraska’s head football strength and conditioning coach and his fourth season under Scott Frost. Duval previously worked as a Husker Power student assistant (1994), graduate assistant (1995-96) and assistant football strength coach (1997-2002 and 2008).

Nebraska's players have made great strides in their physical development since Duval's arrival. His work helped NU win four of its final six games in 2018, and 12 Huskers were recognized as All-Big Ten selections.

Duval followed Frost to Lincoln after two seasons as the director of sports performance for football at UCF, where he also oversaw the school’s entire sports performance department. Duval helped Frost’s team to a 13-0 record in 2017, two years after the Knights were a winless team. Aided by Duval’s development, UCF was the nation's only undefeated team in 2017. Individually, an American Athletic Conference-record 16 Knights were selected as all-conference performers. In Duval’s first season at UCF, he helped UCF qualify for a bowl game as the nation’s most improved team.

Duval went to Orlando after a two-year stint at Wyoming, where he served as the director of sports performance with the Cowboys. At Wyoming, Duval was certified as a Master Strength and Conditioning Coach by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association, the highest honor given in the strength and conditioning coaching profession.

Duval was the director of sports performance at Buffalo from 2010 to 2013, where he worked with All-American Khalil Mack, the fifth overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. In 2009, he was the director of athletics performance at Creighton. The first 15 years of Duval’s strength and conditioning career were spent at Nebraska or in private business, where he founded the XPlosive Edge Performance Center in Nebraska and later co-owned and managed The Performance and Wellness Institute in Colorado.

Duval previously spent a total of 10 seasons with Husker Power. Duval returned to Nebraska as a strength coach in 2008 after previously serving as an assistant football strength coach with the Huskers from 1997 to 2002. He was a graduate assistant with Husker Power in 1995 and 1996 and served as a student assistant in 1994. Nebraska won three national championships with Duval on the strength staff, and he was a member of the staff for three seasons when Frost was a Husker.

Zach earned his degree in exercise science from Nebraska. He and his wife Sarah have three daughters, Sonja, Capri and Zolie, and two sons, Bronx and Jaggar.”

Reactions: headcard
It’s all part of the program. Getting big and strong combined with speed, agility, and quickness, it’s all combined. They just don’t show it on video because it’s not “sexy” and no one really cares to see the sprints. The general fan just cares about how many plates on the bar compared to how fast their pro agility time is. It’s all combined I promise you that. It’s all under Husker Power.

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT