ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Zero U. to the SEC?

If you put Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Colorado and USCw as options in front of the Big Ten school presidents, they would simply say "we already voted them into the conference yesterday." They would droll over themselves to admit those academic and research powers into the conference.
Do you just make shit up in your head, None of those schools are coming to the Big Ten. NONE

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
OU and Texas are both too polished to let a story like this leak with an outcome that makes them look bad. IMO, either they know they have the SEC votes and are ready to jump ship, or they know they don't have the votes and will spin it into a big smokescreen to gain yet more power in the B12 or curry favor with a different conference all together.
The part that makes this questionable is the GOR runs into 2025. With that being 4 years out, this screams something else is at play.

You’re a fool. Kansas would be an easy yes to the Big Ten
Most hard core Big Ten fans don't seem to think KU is a big get.

I would think they would take them too but I can see the point, the academics are lame (I don't care about that at all but the conference might) and the football is beyond lame, and basketball is always getting investigated.

It's going to be the Pac 12 schools folks. The ACC schools have a GOR that goes until 2035. It's ****ing 2021 folks. Think better.

The academic and research schools like Washington, UCLA, USCw, Oregon, Colorado are all easy yes votes and no discussion will even be needed to their fit with the Big Ten.

You simply create a western pod.

Western: USCW, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford (whoever you want included in this group and you could even add two more like California and Arizona).

Central: Colorado, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska

Lakes: IL, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State

East: Indiana, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers,

However you want the 20 broken down.

Most hard core Big Ten fans don't seem to think KU is a big get.

I would think they would take them too but I can see the point, the academics are lame (I don't care about that at all but the conference might) and the football is beyond lame, and basketball is always getting investigated.
Most “hard core Big Ten fans” aren’t making the decisions.
The league isn’t making a wish list. There are only going to be a handful of legitimate options to choose from. Any team in the Big 12 outside of OU and UT, group of 5 team, Notre Dame (if they want in) or an ACC team that is willing to part with about $100 million to leave the ACC and buy in to the Big Ten. If conferences actually expand and ND joins the ACC, why would you pay that heavy a price to leave that league?

Cincinnati makes no sense, Ohio St has that market locked up
Perhaps getting into the Texas footprint somehow.
I don’t think West Virginia has the academic background, I could be wrong there but that would be a new market. Albeit not very big.

It's going to be the Pac 12 schools folks. The ACC schools have a GOR that goes until 2035. It's ****ing 2021 folks. Think better.

The academic and research schools like Washington, UCLA, USCw, Oregon, Colorado are all easy yes votes and no discussion will even be needed to their fit with the Big Ten.

You simply create a western pod.

Western: USCW, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford (whoever you want included in this group and you could even add two more like California and Arizona).

Central: Colorado, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska

Lakes: IL, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Michigan State

East: Indiana, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers,

However you want the 20 broken down.
Why are you going with 20? That makes absolutely no sense. There are only about 65 teams that matter and that includes the teams that are in a G5 league now and some schools in P5 that shouldn’t be. What are you thinking there will be just 3 leagues?

if you take the schools you are talking about from the PAC then OU and UT go to SEC, the teams left over aren’t forming a P5 league, there is no bell cow school or program. You would just eliminated 17 schools from the 65 or 70 school pool.

That doesn’t even get into the time zone issues and the cost of travel for Olympic sports, the fact that most of the Pac 12 schools you are talking about have more and different sports than Big Ten schools.

the PAc 12 merger or whatever you would call it, looks good only from an academic standpoint. Nothing else.

The league isn’t making a wish list. There are only going to be a handful of legitimate options to choose from. Any team in the Big 12 outside of OU and UT, group of 5 team, Notre Dame (if they want in) or an ACC team that is willing to part with about $100 million to leave the ACC and buy in to the Big Ten. If conferences actually expand and ND joins the ACC, why would you pay that heavy a price to leave that league?

I don’t think West Virginia has the academic background, I could be wrong there but that would be a new market. Albeit not very big.
Not to mention they allowed ND to play their other sports in the ACC but Notre Dame had to agree that they would play 5 games with in the conference and still remain having Independent status..

Don’t believe the B1G would allow them to do that in other sporting beside Hockey…

Iowa State and Kansas have no shot of joining the Big Ten. They don't bring enough to the table for the leadership at the Big Ten schools willing to let them join. They sure as hell will NOT get sympathy votes from school presidents/chancellors.

Iowa State and Kansas have no shot of joining the Big Ten. They don't bring enough to the table for the leadership at the Big Ten schools willing to let them join. They sure as hell will NOT get sympathy votes from school presidents/chancellors.
Unfortunately the Big Ten is in a reactionary position here. They didn’t do the back room stuff that the SEC did to get OU and Texas. So the Big Ten will be left with what they can get.

I don't know why but I always read your posts like they are angry. Ha

I disagree on Kansas. It has been reported in the past that many of the big 10 schools brass including Nebraska want KU in the league. Now I'm not saying that it will happen eventually but what KU brings to the table is:

- a flagship institution
- AAU School
- a huge basketball program which is maybe the most storied program in history.
- A med school and cancer research Grant.
- a bordering school.
- KC, St. Joe, Topeka, Wichita media market.
-Highly regarded "college town" much like so many in the B1G

Again not saying it will not happen but I would pump the brakes on saying they have no shot.

Last edited:
Would the big 10 in 2021 still take a Nebraska if we were in the Big 12? I dont think so myself

Absolutely NOT! With the sh!tshow its been last 6 years...no way in hell.

You gotta remember, when they extended the offer for us to join in 2010 we were fresh off a robbery in the Big 12 championship game against Texas. We had a up and coming coach who was winning games, a championship level defense and an AD who was a College Football LEGEND who at that time probably the best to ever do it...so he was RESPECTED.

Currently outside of Nebraska the program is looked at as a train wreck. We would gladly have to settle for a AAC or MAC invite right now or a new Little 12 minus OU and Texas as a conference.

Adding Kansas & Iowa State is the equivalent, if not worse, than adding Rutgers and Maryland. Hell, with Kevin Warren as commish, that'd probably be the short sighted move he'd make. If I was the B1G, I'd look Virginia & UNC. If you can bust up the ACC, then you got a shot at getting Notre Dame. There is anybody left the Big XII I'd want. They will probably end up in the MWC.

Reactions: bowlhawk
Adding Kansas & Iowa State is the equivalent, if not worse, than adding Rutgers and Maryland. Hell, with Kevin Warren as commish, that'd probably be the short sighted move he'd make. If I was the B1G, I'd look Virginia & UNC. If you can bust up the ACC, then you got a shot at getting Notre Dame. There is anybody left the Big XII I'd want. They will probably end up in the MWC.
Disagree about KU.. They’d bring their fair share to the table… Well maybe not footballLaughing

you know...are baylor and tcu worth a look for the b1g?
academics - check!
tx tv's - check!
recruiting - check!
hotter chicks than the b1g - check!!!
ku is very worthy.

Reactions: 250vertical
At that point it will be like an episode of Big Brother, and all will acquiesce and it will be a 14-0 or 13-1 vote.

I find it funny that Jamie Pollard just turned down the Nebraska job. If this deal happens, Iowa St. <= Colorado State.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Absolutely NOT! With the sh!tshow its been last 6 years...no way in hell.

You gotta remember, when they extended the offer for us to join in 2010 we were fresh off a robbery in the Big 12 championship game against Texas. We had a up and coming coach who was winning games, a championship level defense and an AD who was a College Football LEGEND who at that time probably the best to ever do it...so he was RESPECTED.

Currently outside of Nebraska the program is looked at as a train wreck. We would gladly have to settle for a AAC or MAC invite right now or a new Little 12 minus OU and Texas as a conference.
You’re a bigger sh!t show than Nebraska is. Nebraska can get better, I’m not sure you can. AAC or MAC is the best we can do? Don’t be an idiot! You’re basing our inclusion into the B1G on the strength of the last 6 years, not the previous 50? How short-sighted are you? As bad as the conference leadership seems to be today, you make them look like geniuses.

Would Iowa State to the B1G be a possibility? I would like it personally living in Iowa, but they would bring nothing to the B1G imo. B1G already has Iowa on lock down with the Hawks.

Just a random thought I had.

You’re a bigger sh!t show than Nebraska is. Nebraska can get better, I’m not sure you can. AAC or MAC is the best we can do? Don’t be an idiot! You’re basing our inclusion into the B1G on the strength of the last 6 years, not the previous 50? How short-sighted are you? As bad as the conference leadership seems to be today, you make them look like geniuses.
The issue was the question. It has a silly premise. We don't know what happens if Nebraska is still in the Big 12 vs the Big 10. Maybe Bo Pelini is winning 10 games per year and is still the coach at Nebraska. Maybe he holds on a few more years before leaving for greener pastures and Frost takes over a 10 win team with pieces in place and the transition is smooth.

What you cannot do is take results from the time in the Big Ten and use them to say would the Big Ten take us now. That is like asking if you would still invest in a fund that didn't perform. Of course you wouldn't but you don't know the fund wasn't going to perform when you bought into it.

Frank the Tank on latest realignment: "I could see the Big Ten having a lot of interest in Kansas. Note that KU has had the largest third tier rights TV deal in the Big 12 outside of UT’s Longhorn Network (even higher than OU), which shows the particularly unique value of the Jayhawk basketball program. There are few basketball programs that move the P5 conference realignment needle today, but KU is one of them as a true blue blood. Basketball content is quite relevant to the Big Ten Network in particular. Still, it’s difficult to find another great fit for the B1G outside of a much more difficult raid of the ACC (e.g. Georgia Tech, Virginia) or (gasp!) Pac-12 (e.g. Colorado)."

I love the idea of a "power 4" conference realignment and KU and ISU moving to the BIG10. Nebraska fans - that means we potentially have an additional 2 road games to attend a year. I am selfish since I live in KC but have the opportunity to watch NU in football, basketball, and baseball each year in Lawrence would be awesome. Having ISU in the BIG10 may enhance the rivalry with them and Iowa since they will be in the same division and more on the line between the two.

But what is the driving force between OU and Texas stirring the pot? Arguably stepping into a much tougher conference in the SEC. You could say that since the playoff is expanding to 12 teams in a few years, there is a chance that half of the field could be the SEC now. I dont think this is driven by money, unlike realignment in 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT