ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Zero U. to the SEC?

I love the idea of a "power 4" conference realignment and KU and ISU moving to the BIG10. Nebraska fans - that means we potentially have an additional 2 road games to attend a year. I am selfish since I live in KC but have the opportunity to watch NU in football, basketball, and baseball each year in Lawrence would be awesome. Having ISU in the BIG10 may enhance the rivalry with them and Iowa since they will be in the same division and more on the line between the two.

But what is the driving force between OU and Texas stirring the pot? Arguably stepping into a much tougher conference in the SEC. You could say that since the playoff is expanding to 12 teams in a few years, there is a chance that half of the field could be the SEC now. I dont think this is driven by money, unlike realignment in 2010.
ISU will never, never join the BIG.

No worries. Kevin Warren has been playing 4-D chess behind the scenes. He has a master plan.
017367c8ebca01582459e5eef2f9da35.jpg

Why? Maryland and Rutgers were the last two teams to join.
Maryland and Rutgers were brought in due to TV sets and media markets which equal big $$$. Iowa State does not bring that. As a Hawk fan it is easy to discount ISU. In reality it is a good school with decent athletics and a decent following. That being said, I see no way that Iowa State would bring in more $$ to the Big Ten than they would take out.

I have to imagine if this happens the Big Ten looks to add two teams. I think the Kansas basketball program and a piece of the KC media market is hard for the conference to pass on. So I think they take Kansas and then look to add a second team in this order:

1. Make another pitch to Notre Dame
2. Try to poach another ACC team (Virginia seems to get thrown out there a lot)
3. Fallback option, take Iowa State, or just stay at 15 teams

Last edited:
Reactions: Madman_1 and 9and4
I have to imagine if this happens the Big Ten looks to add two teams. I think the Kansas basketball program and a piece of the KC media market is hard for the conference to pass on. So I think they take Kansas and then look to add a second team in this order:

1. Make another pitch to Notre Dame
2. Try to poach another ACC team (Virginia seems to get thrown out there a lot)
3. Fallback option, take Iowa State, or just stay at 13 teams
BIG ten would take Colorado over Iowa State. I don't think they'd add another team after Kansas unless it's Notre Dame or a southern ACC school.

Imo, Texas and Oklahoma are
Missouri to the West, Alabama schools to the East, only one crossover game, probably a few protected rivalries, but not necessary.
West
Zero U.
Tejas
Arkie
Misery
LSU
Old Mississippi
MSU
TAMU

East
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky
LSU, Miss & MSU get boned in this scenario.

It looks like they left the SEC and joined the swc/big8,12

Go Blue!

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ISU will never, never join the BIG.
ISU has an advantage in joining the Big Ten that Oklahoma and Texas don't. They're a member of the AAU. No school has ever been admitted to the Big Ten without being a member of the AAU. UN subsequently got booted from the AAU leaving 14 of 15 Big Ten Academic schools as members. Remember, school president's are the ones that have the vote.

I believe that Oklahoma and Texas would be disastrous additions to the SEC.

I do not understand the desire of people to stockpile their conference with "all time greatest blah blah blah" programs.

All you do is make middling programs out of everybody.

Seriously, why would Alabama want the annoyance of having to play OU & Texas every year maybe even both?

How would Auburn vote realizing the likelihood of them ever winning a conference championship went from 8% to 1%. Yeah, they would be real excited.

I do not believe this report.

If the Big10 were to expand I would aim for average to above-average programs that have a shot now and then to be pretty good.

West Virginia and Missouri would be solid additions.

And screw the domers let them live and die in the acc.

Go Blue!

I believe that Oklahoma and Texas would be disastrous additions to the SEC.

I do not understand the desire of people to stockpile their conference with "all time greatest blah blah blah" programs.

All you do is make middling programs out of everybody.

Seriously, why would Alabama want the annoyance of having to play OU & Texas every year maybe even both?

How would Auburn vote realizing the likelihood of them ever winning a conference championship went from 8% to 1%. Yeah, they would be real excited.

I do not believe this report.

If the Big10 were to expand I would aim for average to above-average programs that have a shot now and then to be pretty good.

West Virginia and Missouri would be solid additions.

And screw the domers let them live and die in the acc.

Go Blue!
Alabama won't be playing Zero U. or Tejas in the regular season if this happens. They'll play a seven-game round-robin against the new East (Florida, Georgia, Vandy, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, Auburn) and rotate games against the Mississippi schools, LSU and maybe Arkansas or Texas A&M for their eighth conference game.

ISU has an advantage in joining the Big Ten that Oklahoma and Texas don't. They're a member of the AAU. No school has ever been admitted to the Big Ten without being a member of the AAU. UN subsequently got booted from the AAU leaving 14 of 15 Big Ten Academic schools as members. Remember, school president's are the ones that have the vote.
Texas is an AAU member as well. You are right that non-AAU schools, except ND, won't be offered B1G membership. You can forget about WV, TCU, Baylor, OkieState. Kansas, Mizzou, Colorado would be possibilities in addition to ISU.

Iowa State and Kansas have no shot of joining the Big Ten. They don't bring enough to the table for the leadership at the Big Ten schools willing to let them join. They sure as hell will NOT get sympathy votes from school presidents/chancellors.
AAU status (KU)
Cancer Research (KU)
Top 3 basketball program of all time (KU)
Easy win in football (KU) :)
Contiguous geography
KC TV market

They have some things to work with.

The well-known Ohio State insider that lives in Las Vegas posted on Buckeye Scoop that Oregon, UCLA, USC, and Colorado are interested in joining the Big 10 and have made direct overtures. and no it isn't some shit head pretending to be an insider. He is real and has broken many stories.

Missouri to the West, Alabama schools to the East, only one crossover game, probably a few protected rivalries, but not necessary.
West
Zero U.
Tejas
Arkie
Misery
LSU
Old Mississippi
MSU
TAMU

East
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky
This one makes the most sense. And would make me a little less anxious as an OU fan if it happens. Could handle Arkie and A&M. Not so sure about LSU. But would likely then only play Bama every four years or so.

Iowa State and Kansas have no shot of joining the Big Ten. They don't bring enough to the table for the leadership at the Big Ten schools willing to let them join. They sure as hell will NOT get sympathy votes from school presidents/chancellors.
LOL! What exactly has to be brought to the table? It is not the same market as it was 10 years ago.

You are correct….we won’t
At least you admit it. The big Ten will go nab the big academic/research schools in the Pac 12 and call it a day and then wait out some ACC moves in the decades to come.

Once the Big Ten does their poaching things are basically over once the large brands are all in their own two conferences besides a couple left overs in the ACC.

I'm sorry that Iowa State will find itself in the category of the "left behind schools," but that how things go with consolidation takes place. In the business world it's called layoffs.

Do you just make shit up in your head, None of those schools are coming to the Big Ten. NONE

Washington does have good research partnerships with the IHME and the Gates Foundation, among others, so *maybe* (I say this working at Northwestern’s IGH), but yeah, realistically not a chance for any of those, including USC.

I thought of one 'potential' way to torpedo this UT/OU deal...What happens if the expanded playoff is nixed and it stays at four for the foreseeable future? Then, making the playoffs through the Big12 is much, much easier than going through the SEC and it might make OU rethink.

Reactions: Huskerpro
The Big 12 bylaws require any withdrawing member to give the league at least 18 months' notice. There also is a hefty exit fee -- departing schools must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.

Last year, the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to its members, third most among Power 5 conferences, so Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each.

I wonder if ut and okie are going to have to pay for the draconian exit costs they made others sign?

Last edited:
Do you just make shit up in your head, None of those schools are coming to the Big Ten. NONE
buckeye9595 avatar

Posted on 14 hrs, , User Since 199 months ago, User Post Count: 21064
  • 14 hrs
  • 199 months

Greg Fluguar:

Ooh boy??

Update

BTM-The Source

“Lots of back channel talks between Oklahoma and Texas with SEC over last 6 months. Everything has been decided.”

“USC, UCLA and others having preliminary talks with Big Ten but more direct. They are not using private firms for communication”.

buckeye9595 avatar

• 14 hrs
  • 199 months

Greg Fluguar:

This is from Buckeye9595 , an apparent insider and OSU alumni others are referring to.
BTM

“Big Ten has been proactive. They have support of Media partner in FOX Sports in looking at National Conference option with different regional alignments for Pods. Will shuffle through larger options first. Preliminary direct talks with some PAC schools were done weeks ago”

buckeye9595 avatar

• 14 hrs
  • 199 months

Greg Fluguar:

Ooh boy??

Update

BTM-The Source

“Lots of back channel talks between Oklahoma and Texas with SEC over last 6 months. Everything has been decided.”

“USC, UCLA and others having preliminary talks with Big Ten but more direct. They are not using private firms for communication”.

buckeye9595 avatar

• 14 hrs
  • 199 months

Greg Fluguar:

This is from Buckeye9595 , an apparent insider and OSU alumni others are referring to.
BTM

“Big Ten has been proactive. They have support of Media partner in FOX Sports in looking at National Conference option with different regional alignments for Pods. Will shuffle through larger options first. Preliminary direct talks with some PAC schools were done weeks ago”
The Pac 12's poorly managed and horrible media rights deal doesn't expire for 3 years. They need something that will allow their new commissioner to get that contract renegotiation started immediately. Those Pac 12 schools, on average, are receiving roughly half of what a Big Ten team is receiving from their media rights deals.

If the Pac were to lose the LA market, their media rights leverage is nearly zero.

I have a hard time believing that the only 2 teams from the mountain or pacific time zones would be playing in P5 leagues. Without Texas and Oklahoma the Big 12 is the MAC, without USC and UCLA, the Pac 12 is on par with the Mountain West as far as media rights leverage. Even if you combined the leftovers from the the Big 12 and the Pac 12, you don't have a viable P5 league. There are more than 48 teams that should be considered Power 5 level teams.

I will believe it when I see it.

The Pac 12's poorly managed and horrible media rights deal doesn't expire for 3 years. They need something that will allow their new commissioner to get that contract renegotiation started immediately. Those Pac 12 schools, on average, are receiving roughly half of what a Big Ten team is receiving from their media rights deals.

If the Pac were to lose the LA market, their media rights leverage is nearly zero.

I have a hard time believing that the only 2 teams from the mountain or pacific time zones would be playing in P5 leagues. Without Texas and Oklahoma the Big 12 is the MAC, without USC and UCLA, the Pac 12 is on par with the Mountain West as far as media rights leverage. Even if you combined the leftovers from the the Big 12 and the Pac 12, you don't have a viable P5 league. There are more than 48 teams that should be considered Power 5 level teams.

I will believe it when I see it.
I agree this would really leave only 3 power conferences. Texas sets off a chain reaction that destroys 2 conferences and damages like 16 schools budgets, I would expect lawsuits at some point.

Houston Chronicle says it's in the works.
Most likely ESPN had a hand in this move. They were suffering financially with the dedicated Longhorn network (ie., they overpaid for what it was worth). Now they can fold the Longhorn network into the SEC network. They'll pretty much have a lock on the huge Texas TV market for football with Texas A&M and Texas both in the SEC network after this happens. And the SEC Network moves past the B1G BTN with the Texas market all locked up.

I can't see LSU going along with this at all. They would lose their natural rivals and be left with a bunch of SWC, and Big Eight leftovers. Not to mention A&M being extremely pissed...

Big Ten East: the entire current Big Ten

Big Ten West: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Baylor

Reactions: tpmcg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT