ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Zero U. to the SEC?

Hard for me to see the B1G inviting anyone who isn't a state flagship school or very prestigious private school - Louisville, Cincinnati or Florida State just don't really fit the B1G profile - Kansas, North Carolina, UVA all fit the profile, KU would jump in a second I would imagine....UNC and UVA might be a harder sell, maybe Maryland could talk them into it lol...

Hard for me to see the B1G inviting anyone who isn't a state flagship school or very prestigious private school - Louisville, Cincinnati or Florida State just don't really fit the B1G profile - Kansas, North Carolina, UVA all fit the profile, KU would jump in a second I would imagine....UNC and UVA might be a harder sell, maybe Maryland could talk them into it lol...
UNC
Geo Tech
V-Tech
UVA

The expansion will be in that direction for sure.

This is so unbelievable or, at the very least shocking. I have always felt the Big 12 is a stepchild conference but OU is/was tied to OSU. Texas will not be able to dictate things in the SEC, both will suffer on the football field. If this comes to fruition I think The Big goes after ND and UNC or UVA. I don't see them pursuing Iowa State of KU.

Reactions: bowlhawk
ISU is one of the only non-CIC schools to collaborate with them on research projects. The academic profile fits better than Neb and is a geographic fit. ISU would be a target for expansion of the B10, as they would not be willing to go for any P12 expansion.

If true, Texas has changed its tune. Lol. The Longhorns have said The SEC doesn’t have strong enough academic standards or schools. But the PAC 12 does. Whatever rocks your boat Texas. Superficial self serving people who want power and control. Remind you of any parties or government? Lol. And people want to go back to the Big 12 for the familiarity with some schools and better past success. Lol. This is rich.

ISU is one of the only non-CIC schools to collaborate with them on research projects. The academic profile fits better than Neb and is a geographic fit. ISU would be a target for expansion of the B10, as they would not be willing to go for any P12 expansion.
Sorry Clone....Iowa State is small potatoes when it comes to conference realignment...just the way it is.

Kansas - I can see them in the B1G....Iowa State, eh just don't see it.

Kansas State - forget it
Oklahoma State - long shot, B1G ain't taking a SEC little brother
TCU Baylor Texas Tech - don't see it
West Virginia - probably best chance outside of Kansas

Notre Dame - I think B1G would ask, ND would say no thanks, we're good
Agreed on Iowa State. Not sure they would bring in near enough $$ to justify splitting the pie one more way, I could see Kansas and perhaps a quick call/look to see how Missouri and Colorado like their current situations.

They don't bring eyes.

That is the issue, plus that coveted Iowa TV market is already in the Big Ten.

The SEC would get a hell of a new television contract based on past parameters. Geographically, The states have connection without non-states. Texas was already connected to Louisiana. If you go to at least a 8 team playoff, the effect on Nebraska would be minimal I think. We have to become a team that has earned consideration or outright invitation and at least eight teams would give us a decent chance. But big football improvement has to happen or this scenario is academic.

If true, Texas has changed its tune. Lol. The Longhorns have said The SEC doesn’t have strong enough academic standards or schools. But the PAC 12 does. Whatever rocks your boat Texas. Superficial self serving people who want power and control. Remind you of any parties or government? Lol. And people want to go back to the Big 12 for the familiarity with some schools and better past success. Lol. This is rich.
Yes it is very hard to believe snobbish Texas would be willing to join the "academically" inferior SEC. They would go to the ACC, B1G or PAC but the SEC? That would be quite a humbling/sobering experience for the academics at Texas.

Reactions: Husker69
Agreed on Iowa State. Not sure they would bring in near enough $$ to justify splitting the pie one more way, I could see Kansas and perhaps a quick call/look to see how Missouri and Colorado like their current situations.
The pie would be split more than jut one way. If this realignment happens, the look of it will most likely be 4 twenty team conferences. Texas and OU are the Trojan horses as they aren’t going anywhere without OSU & Tech. It would end up as four conferences with two 10 team divisions….the NCAA will be no more

The pie would be split more than jut one way. If this realignment happens, the look of it will most likely be 4 twenty team conferences. Texas and OU are the Trojan horses as they aren’t going anywhere without OSU & Tech. It would end up as four conferences with two 10 team divisions….the NCAA will be no more
Let me just say in general, I like Iowa State...similar to Nebraska, good down to earth people.

With that said, I hear a lot of "hope" in your comments - Four 20-team conferences doesn't really sound very appealing on any sense, I can't see that happening honestly....maybe five 16 team conferences, if so, one of them will be the JV league and I would imagine that Big XII leftovers plus some Mountain West teams and others would be that conference. It's really the best ISU can hope for, Clones really don't offer much at all to a new conference home honestly.

Yes ISU's academics are solid and their athletic department is fine I guess....but at the end of the day, eyes matter and ISU doesn't bring very many of those at all.

I wish it weren't that way but it is....

Dude, relax, the new badass conference that ISU will be in will include

Chicago State
Northern Illinois
UT...San Antonio
KSU
KU

Brutal if fact for K-State and the rest of the B12. KU and ISU are both AAU and thus candidates for the B10, I suppose. My gosh, I thought we were beyond this. The strategy escapes me. Both want to take Nebraska's pathway to meh, evidently.
I don't think ISU or KSU would bring much to the BiG 10. I don't know if the state of Iowa would have a TV market big enough for two Big schools, and KSU wouldn't add much for any sport to make them an appetising candidate. Kansas would be a great addition for basketball, but brings nothing for football, so that would be a coin toss as to whether they would fit the bill. Notre Dame has had it's chances, and seems like they really don't want to go BiG, but I think they are going to have to join a conference full time eventually, especially if these super conferences take over.

Let me just say in general, I like Iowa State...similar to Nebraska, good down to earth people.

With that said, I hear a lot of "hope" in your comments - Four 20-team conferences doesn't really sound very appealing on any sense, I can't see that happening honestly....maybe five 16 team conferences, if so, one of them will be the JV league and I would imagine that Big XII leftovers plus some Mountain West teams and others would be that conference. It's really the best ISU can hope for, Clones really don't offer much at all to a new conference home honestly.

Yes ISU's academics are solid and their athletic department is fine I guess....but at the end of the day, eyes matter and ISU doesn't bring very many of those at all.

I wish it weren't that way but it is....
Nebraska doesn’t bring any eyes, and neither does Iowa. Both are small market teams. History for Nebraska is very good but that is over a generation ago. To stand up to congressional oversight(which it will end up having to do) there will have to be inclusion, not exclusion.

Big Ten 5 pods with a 20 team football conference.

West: USC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford and either ASU or UA.

Midwest: Colorado, Nebraska, MN, WI and Iowa.
Lakes: Michigan, Ohio State, MSU, Illinois and Northwestern.

East: Penn State, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana and Rutgers.

You then get the Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State to the Moutain West or AAC. Or they can add two worthless ones like BYU or New Mexico and live their lives however they please.

• Haha
Reactions: Clonewithasigh
Nebraska doesn’t bring any eyes, and neither does Iowa. Both are small market teams. History for Nebraska is very good but that is over a generation ago. To stand up to congressional oversight(which it will end up having to do) there will have to be inclusion, not exclusion.
Nebraska does bring a lot of eyes, even in the sorry state we are in now, Neb is still listed in many of the most watched games annually. Our fervent addiction works in our favor I guess.

And if Nebraska was still in the Big XII, I believe the B1G will still take a hard look at including us - but it wouldnt be the slam dunk that it was 12 years ago.

For whatever reason. NU still moves the dial, no one from NU is on the Cyclone boards right now, pretty sure of that...but here you are.

Don't see ND ever coming to the big ten. Seems they much prefer the ACC.
ND only prefers the ACC because they were granted a special privilege by the ACC to be a partial conference participant where they pick and choose. The B1G was having none of that, you're either in as a full fledged conference member or you're not in at all.

Nebraska does bring a lot of eyes, even in the sorry state we are in now, Neb is still listed in many of the most watched games annually. Our fervent addiction works in our favor I guess.

And if Nebraska was still in the Big XII, I believe the B1G will still take a hard look at including us - but it wouldnt be the slam dunk that it was 12 years ago.

For whatever reason. NU still moves the dial, no one from NU is on the Cyclone boards right now, pretty sure of that...but here you are.
P12 appears to want ISU if this goes down, but that is a bad fit

ND only prefers the ACC because they were granted a special privilege by the ACC to be a partial conference participant where they pick and choose. The B1G was having none of that, you're either in as a full fledged conference member or you're not in at all.
ND & B10(Michigan, I believe)got sideways many many moons ago, and ND vowed to never join the B10 because of it.

You need to take geography out of it, that doesn't matter anymore.

ISU is a really good school and academically fits in well with the P12.
We have nothing in common with a large portion of the P12. The four schools that would be targeted by the P12 are all conservative. The P12 as a whole is definitely not.

ND & B10(Michigan, I believe)got sideways many many moons ago, and ND vowed to never join the B10 because of it.
No, that's not the driving issue today. ND and Michigan got sideways for a while over scheduling when ND decided to drop games with Michigan because they couldn't fit all the games into their schedule any more. That, however, was after and caused by the ND deal with the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT