ADVERTISEMENT

SSO takes on coaching changes...

What does that even mean? You want Frost to come out and say Walters was a lazy recruiter? Or that Mickey Joseph was plan B to the coach we hadn’t even fired yet and didn’t really even have a job offer?

And how did you decide that what you just read on the message board is the truth and not what you heard from Frost in a PC or whatever?
Settle down. I am referring to the fluff pieces we are always given by HOL.

Reactions: headcard
https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/the-offensive-staff-change-and-moving-forward.115437/
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'll try to shed some light on what I know and things i've put two and two together on...

It's no secret that our wide receiver room hasn't quite developed the way we wanted it to. Troy Walters signed Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Dominick Watt, Justin McGriff, Jaron Woodyard, and Mike Williams in his first recruiting class. 1 player didn't make it, one left after one season, two of them were booted after the first season, and the two JUCOs couldn't help at a position that desperately needed it. While I think Stanley Morgan was great, when you think about an undrafted Morgan leaving and then Warner being out all year essentially crippling our outside WR game, it's tough to fathom. But we gave Walters a pass for 2018 as they were trying to just put together a class. We then got excited for the 2019 class with Demariyon Houston running 10.5 100 meter dashes, Jamie Nance and Darine Chase as well with one of those being here for the spring as an early enrollee, we thought we wouldn't miss a beat. We were wrong.

You then couple what you were hearing on the recruiting trail for our 2020 class. From the outside looking in, our WR class may be the best position for 2020 that inked in the early signing period. But Marcus Fleming had a lead recruiter of Travis Fisher, Omar Manning's lead recruiter was Ryan Held, and Zavier Betts is a Nebraska kid that Barrett Ruud was a huge part with extending the offer to him and showing confidence he would get his academics in order. So essentially our top WR recruits, the position coach was a bit of an "added bonus" and not essential to landing them. I can also share with you that I heard from more than one coach in the metro that Walters was the least impressive when he would come to the schools compared to other FBS or FCS coaches. For example, a guy like LeVar Woods from Iowa or Dan Jackson from South Dakota State would text a few days earlier and say "hey, i'm going to be in Omaha on Friday, what time works best for you? I want to look at Player X, Player Y, and Player Z. Let me know if there's someone i'm missing." They would then work around the coaches schedules and if a coach said "hey, we also have Player A that Northern Illinois is looking real hard at, you should take a look" they obviously would at the very least humor the coach and evaluate them. Why not? You're already there, right? What I just described in this paragraph doesn't seem so difficult or
even worth highlighting, so why did I?

I was told that as recently as this December, when Coach Walters would be out in the metro, some coaches would get a call from a secretary stating "Coach Walters will be at your school tomorrow at 830AM" and basically just leave that voicemail. It wasn't even him. The coach would have to call back and leave a voicemail "Well, that's fine but I have class from 8-850 so I can catch up with him after". Being there, it was almost like he was putting in his time, the coach would throw out another name and he would come with "We will catch them next time, coach." It was just odd, and quite frankly, I was hoping something was up. Less than 24 hours notice compared to 72 hours notice from other coaches, telling you when he will be there as opposed to giving options as a courtesy, not giving his cell phone and having a secretary call them so it's less personal than what Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, or South Dakota State were doing, and then the easiest thing ever of just being engaged while you're there and making the coach and player feel important and worth your time.

With that said, I don't want to rag on him too much. Some of those things are process related, not Walters related. Other Nebraska coaches just show up, other coaches have the secretary call as well, but when you look at the totality of things, a lot of it was on Coach Walters. I do think that we have been working on his replacement for close to a month, so he was just checking boxes for the staff more than likely. And he had to of done a decent job prior to this past December on the trail, it's not like he wasn't excited for a Power 5 job. But I wonder why we even send him on the road if that's the level of effort we were going to get? If it wasn't for these coaches and players being from Nebraska, whatever was said would have fallen on deaf ears in my opinion. Again, I do think we were looking for a replacement, Walters knew it, we just hadn't made the hire yet. And it's well documented he was of the opinion that even though he didn't get the UCF head job, he thought we would just roll thru people offensively the first two years and a head job would come calling. We all know how that went.

But the stuff coming out of North Stadium is just odd. If we truly had this locked up a few weeks ago, why were we waiting? Why was Troy Walters working in January for us? Lubick wasn't even working, so it's not like we had to wait. The more likely scenario is Lubick was a top candidate, but so was Joseph. Joseph wasn't going to entertain or say yes to anything until his national title game was over. And after that, he still wasn't interested, which leads us to our announcement this past Friday. I do think Lubick and Joseph were 1A and 1B, it just turns out we never really had a shot with Joseph at all, and we probably didn't get much past an initial conversation. The athletic department coming out and saying they never offered the job to Joseph is probably true, but we talked to him. It's basically like me working on a girl at a bar around midnight, not getting anywhere with her, then telling my friends I wasn't interested anyway.

The good news is, Coach Lubick is an upgrade from what we've had here in 2018 and 2019 in regard to coaching and recruiting. We don't need to spin it or play damage control. That's a damn good hire. Here's to our first bowl game since 2016 for 2020!

Actually based on the date the hire was announced it's very unlikely anyone other than Lubick was seriously considered, and almost certainly not Joseph.

For one simple reason. Lubick is going to make more than $500,000.

At Nebraska, any contract which is going to be $500,000 or more has to be approved through the office of the president and go through a few extra legal hoops than contracts that don't meet that payscale.

It's why in 2019 when all the other coaches recieved their extentions on January 15th, Chinander and Walters didn't get theirs until February 4th. They were the only two making over $500,000 and thus the only ones who's contracts needed to go through the extended appoval process.

The fact that Lubick was hired so quickly after the other coaches got their Jan. 15th extensions means the Lubick deal had been in the works for at least several weeks to a month. (And with the holidays slowing proceedings, possibly even longer than that.)

Last edited:
I read on here how all coaches are covering for all coaches, and for the most part, its true.
You dont burn bridges. Thats why coach speak is

Either way whether they tried to get Mickey Joseph or not, I still don't see why there's any need to publicly say they didn't offer anyone else the job.

It's Nebraska football, there are always going to be rumors and several of them are going to be untrue. There's no need to be reading into them and commenting on them. You make millions of dollars to coach your favorite sport at your alma mater, be above the petty stuff.

Lubick signed a contract. If he's so fragile that he would have tried to break said contract just because Scotty didn't publicly say he was BAE and he would never hold hands with another WR coach then he ain't gonna survive in Lincoln. It's middle school stuff, grow up.

Tired of the shots at the kids not being good enough and needing to get better guys, tired of the shots at the papers about what they print. Grow up, shut up, win football games.

Reactions: gw2kpro
Either way whether they tried to get Mickey Joseph or not, I still don't see why there's any need to publicly say they didn't offer anyone else the job.

It's Nebraska football, there are always going to be rumors and several of them are going to be untrue. There's no need to be reading into them and commenting on them. You make millions of dollars to coach your favorite sport at your alma mater, be above the petty stuff.

Lubick signed a contract. If he's so fragile that he would have tried to break said contract just because Scotty didn't publicly say he was BAE and he would never hold hands with another WR coach then he ain't gonna survive in Lincoln. It's middle school stuff, grow up.

Tired of the shots at the kids not being good enough and needing to get better guys, tired of the shots at the papers about what they print. Grow up, shut up, win football games.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion. At the end of the day all Scott needs to do is win games. I really could care less what he says and some of the comments directed at the kids are probably needed. We've had big problems here for a long time. This may be one of the last legitimate shots NU has to get back to any sort of relevance and I'll trust he is making the right decisions. As much as we criticize what he says, the kids still seem to love him and be engaged. Once he starts winning, people will probably agree with what he is saying because he is probably correct. A very select few of us "fans" are super close to the program and know what is going on. Most of what Scott says seems very calculated with them moving towards gaining some sort of result.

Reactions: headcard

You are going to great lengths to find things to be upset and offended about. I saw nothing wrong with how Frost handled announcing the hiring, or how he handles the media.

Maybe it wasn't an either/or situation. Maybe we were trying to get both. It's my opinion that you offer the most you can and makeup whatever title you need to get talented assistants here. If we need to have the titles run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, Co-OC, Offensive Coordinator, AHC, and recruiting coordinator all on the offensive side of the ball and to attract top talent, so be it. We should aim to have the best assistants in the country and pay what we need to bring them here. It wouldn't bother me one bit if we were #1 in assistant salaries and we had the coaching talent to back it up.
My tin foil hat theory is that maybe Frost was going to hire Lubick for the offensive analyst position that we apparently advertised. Walters didn't like the idea and told Frost as much which prompted the "mutual parting of the ways". So Walters decides to leave rather than give up some of his job to an "analyst" and Frost turns immediately to Lubick. IF we don't hear an announcement for a hire for the offensive analyst job I think that scenario seems fairly logical. The more I read about the Mickey Joseph deal, the more I think it was a story planted by Joseph's agent to get him more money.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
My tin foil hat theory is that maybe Frost was going to hire Lubick for the offensive analyst position that we apparently advertised. Walters didn't like the idea and told Frost as much which prompted the "mutual parting of the ways". So Walters decides to leave rather than give up some of his job to an "analyst" and Frost turns immediately to Lubick. IF we don't hear an announcement for a hire for the offensive analyst job I think that scenario seems fairly logical. The more I read about the Mickey Joseph deal, the more I think it was a story planted by Joseph's agent to get him more money.
May not be so tin foil hat. Lubick did a little bit of analyst work for NU this past Fall, he and Frost reconnected. Quite possible that Troy was going to end OC in name only. Given that he is desiring that his career trajectory go the other way, that would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Yeah I don't agree with your Walters theory at all. He doesn't even have a job lined up. I think Walters was told to start looking for other employment and we would keep him on staff while he looks. The problem for Walters is he's probably not going to find something with near the salary he was making here and similar opportunities were slim. Maybe Lubick didn't want to wait much longer or maybe there were some other moving parts and recruiting reasons as well that kind of forced Walters departure when it happened.

There was a lot of smoke to the Mickey Joseph rumors that makes me think some kind of contact was made with him. That doesn't necessarily mean he was Frost's first choice over Lubbick. There could have been just a gauging of interest in case Lubick didn't accept or there's also the possibility that Frost was trying to bring in both of them. For the offensive analyst job, I think Helfrich is our first and maybe our only choice.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/the-offensive-staff-change-and-moving-forward.115437/
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'll try to shed some light on what I know and things i've put two and two together on...

It's no secret that our wide receiver room hasn't quite developed the way we wanted it to. Troy Walters signed Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Dominick Watt, Justin McGriff, Jaron Woodyard, and Mike Williams in his first recruiting class. 1 player didn't make it, one left after one season, two of them were booted after the first season, and the two JUCOs couldn't help at a position that desperately needed it. While I think Stanley Morgan was great, when you think about an undrafted Morgan leaving and then Warner being out all year essentially crippling our outside WR game, it's tough to fathom. But we gave Walters a pass for 2018 as they were trying to just put together a class. We then got excited for the 2019 class with Demariyon Houston running 10.5 100 meter dashes, Jamie Nance and Darine Chase as well with one of those being here for the spring as an early enrollee, we thought we wouldn't miss a beat. We were wrong.

You then couple what you were hearing on the recruiting trail for our 2020 class. From the outside looking in, our WR class may be the best position for 2020 that inked in the early signing period. But Marcus Fleming had a lead recruiter of Travis Fisher, Omar Manning's lead recruiter was Ryan Held, and Zavier Betts is a Nebraska kid that Barrett Ruud was a huge part with extending the offer to him and showing confidence he would get his academics in order. So essentially our top WR recruits, the position coach was a bit of an "added bonus" and not essential to landing them. I can also share with you that I heard from more than one coach in the metro that Walters was the least impressive when he would come to the schools compared to other FBS or FCS coaches. For example, a guy like LeVar Woods from Iowa or Dan Jackson from South Dakota State would text a few days earlier and say "hey, i'm going to be in Omaha on Friday, what time works best for you? I want to look at Player X, Player Y, and Player Z. Let me know if there's someone i'm missing." They would then work around the coaches schedules and if a coach said "hey, we also have Player A that Northern Illinois is looking real hard at, you should take a look" they obviously would at the very least humor the coach and evaluate them. Why not? You're already there, right? What I just described in this paragraph doesn't seem so difficult or
even worth highlighting, so why did I?

I was told that as recently as this December, when Coach Walters would be out in the metro, some coaches would get a call from a secretary stating "Coach Walters will be at your school tomorrow at 830AM" and basically just leave that voicemail. It wasn't even him. The coach would have to call back and leave a voicemail "Well, that's fine but I have class from 8-850 so I can catch up with him after". Being there, it was almost like he was putting in his time, the coach would throw out another name and he would come with "We will catch them next time, coach." It was just odd, and quite frankly, I was hoping something was up. Less than 24 hours notice compared to 72 hours notice from other coaches, telling you when he will be there as opposed to giving options as a courtesy, not giving his cell phone and having a secretary call them so it's less personal than what Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, or South Dakota State were doing, and then the easiest thing ever of just being engaged while you're there and making the coach and player feel important and worth your time.

With that said, I don't want to rag on him too much. Some of those things are process related, not Walters related. Other Nebraska coaches just show up, other coaches have the secretary call as well, but when you look at the totality of things, a lot of it was on Coach Walters. I do think that we have been working on his replacement for close to a month, so he was just checking boxes for the staff more than likely. And he had to of done a decent job prior to this past December on the trail, it's not like he wasn't excited for a Power 5 job. But I wonder why we even send him on the road if that's the level of effort we were going to get? If it wasn't for these coaches and players being from Nebraska, whatever was said would have fallen on deaf ears in my opinion. Again, I do think we were looking for a replacement, Walters knew it, we just hadn't made the hire yet. And it's well documented he was of the opinion that even though he didn't get the UCF head job, he thought we would just roll thru people offensively the first two years and a head job would come calling. We all know how that went.

But the stuff coming out of North Stadium is just odd. If we truly had this locked up a few weeks ago, why were we waiting? Why was Troy Walters working in January for us? Lubick wasn't even working, so it's not like we had to wait. The more likely scenario is Lubick was a top candidate, but so was Joseph. Joseph wasn't going to entertain or say yes to anything until his national title game was over. And after that, he still wasn't interested, which leads us to our announcement this past Friday. I do think Lubick and Joseph were 1A and 1B, it just turns out we never really had a shot with Joseph at all, and we probably didn't get much past an initial conversation. The athletic department coming out and saying they never offered the job to Joseph is probably true, but we talked to him. It's basically like me working on a girl at a bar around midnight, not getting anywhere with her, then telling my friends I wasn't interested anyway.

The good news is, Coach Lubick is an upgrade from what we've had here in 2018 and 2019 in regard to coaching and recruiting. We don't need to spin it or play damage control. That's a damn good hire. Here's to our first bowl game since 2016 for 2020!
Why beat on Walters now that he's gone? Do you really, really know that any of that is true? Do you think Frost has no system for the staff to follow in recruiting? And that each coach just does what ever they want, when ever they want with no accountability?

If what you are saying is totally true, he would hardly ever see any prospect. Is part of it true, I'm sure it is. But each Coach will have to make adjustments to make sure they see the Recruits that are the highest priorities.

Having traveled and recruited for a career, if you need to see 10 prospects in a two day period of time, hardly ever can you match up 10 peoples schedules to match up the way you need it to. Especially when you have a specific time frame to see a specific number of people.

Is he the Best Recruiter? Doesn't appear to be. Did Frost know what is schedule was, and who he was planning to see? I believe he does.

Do they have a system in place for the staff to follow? I believe they do.

The Husker Staff have an recruiting board of the players they want. They are always evaluating players, but they recruit to that. And Coaches are always relationship building. And the Head Coach is responsible for the results.

Is this a significant part of the reason Walters was released. Could be.

I'm sure you where told all of this. Is part of it True? I'm sure it could have been. Do I buy it all? No.

I wondering if this part maybe has to do with Lubick. Like, "hey man your the first guy I thought of and best man for the job" Vs " Yeah you were our 2 or 3rd option" Maybe he says F that and doesn't take the job. Now they have to go even deeper down the list.
Could have been that Nebraska had a 3rd party reach out to the representative of certain coaches to gauge any interest. And MJ let his agent know that he had no interest in leaving LSU. He then could claim he turned Nebraska down, for his own interests, without Nebraska offering him the job. Happens all the time. And he might have just wanted the attention of his HC and a pay raise.

Then there is the possibility that Scott would have taken them both. None of us know for sure what he was thinking regarding staff changes.

With that said, since he was already working with him throughout the year, Lubick just might have indeed been the only coach Scott offered the OC position to. And he had accepted the position several months ago.

Why the wait for announcements, again we can't be sure of what Scott was thinking. He might have been trying to let Walters find another job, or was thinking about him coaching in a different position slot.

And then there is the possibility that Scott was just spending so much time with his wife and son that he became disconnected from the program and wasn't paying attention.

Tom Osborne may have had to call Scott and say "Hey, you need to get back in here and pay attention."

That is the rumor from the University of Iowa coaching staff.

Last edited:
Could have been that Nebraska had a 3rd party reach out to the representative of certain coaches to gauge any interest. And MJ let his agent know that he had no interest in leaving LSU. He then could claim he turned Nebraska down, for his own interests, without Nebraska offering him the job. Happens all the time. And he might have just wanted the attention of his HC and a pay raise.

Then there is the possibility that Scott would have taken them both. None of us know for sure what he was thinking regarding staff changes.

With that said, since he was already working with him throughout the year, Lubick just might have indeed been the only coach Scott offered the OC position to. And he had accepted the position several months ago.

Why the wait for announcements, again we can't be sure of what Scott was thinking. He might have been trying to let Walters find another job, or was thinking about him coaching in a different position slot.

And then there is the possibility that Scott was just spending so much time with his wife and son that he became disconnected from the program and wasn't paying attention.

Tom Osborne may have had to call Scott and say "Hey, you need to get back in here and pay attention."

That is the rumor from the University of Iowa coaching staff.
Lol. You tell off another poster for bad mouthing Walters with a rumor he repeats and then you end this post bad mouthing Frost with a rumor you chose to repeat.

Can’t make this stuff up.

I think it went like this.
The deal was done, and SF quietly gave Walters time to find something, announce his stepping down, SF could then announce his old friend who had been in communications throughout the season etc.

It's the classy way in a tough situation, but Walters has to do his part too, as time is ticking. Unfortunately, time got past coach Walters, and what was done was done.
The MJ thing is likely some third party contact, leveraged by his agent .
It could have been anything, but any contact is good contact right?

The intrigue is interesting, but I really don't care since changes are being made to two areas obviously more than deficient, and HCSF indicated loyalty will not cause him to sink his ship.

Reactions: bshirt73
But this can't be true, because Frost told us that his entire staff was a quality staff, and were going to do the same as they did at UCF. I guess I just get tired of all the posturing.

On the bright side, Frost is actually willing to can guys that aren't getting it done. I hope he remembers this if our defense doesn't perform up to expectations.

Lol. You tell off another poster for bad mouthing Walters with a rumor he repeats and then you end this post bad mouthing Frost with a rumor you chose to repeat.

Can’t make this stuff up.
I was hoping someone would see it just the way you did. Just to have a little fun.

The last couple of paragraphs again were to have some fun and actually see how many took it serious, and how many didn't.

Reactions: timnsun

Who are you talking to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT