ADVERTISEMENT

square pegs? Riley's words

georgiacorn

Sophomore
Nov 2, 2001
all credit to BYU. They out passed us with a hurt qb and and freshman qb. Completely stuffed our running game and third and short attempts late in game. Who's the better team? Don't know, they looked pretty even.

But what I am disappointed about is coaches who come to a new job and say they will mold their system to what the new team is already good at and then don't do that.

didnt Riley say they were impressed by the spread option ability here and that they would mix that in? I praise tommy Armstrong -- he did a HELL of a job passing in Riley's scheme. But the west coast timing offense is virtually ALL we saw. I only remember one option, where tommy faked the pitch and cut up field decisively. It was a great switch up. Would have liked to see a bit more. It doesn't have to be our staple, but let's use our best tools to give us the best chance of moving the chains when the chips are on the table.

I look forward to next week. Isn't the old saying that a team improves the most between game one and two. Gbr

Square peg in a round hole is doing something time after time after time, and it not working. I didn't see that against BYU. Our best tools are getting the ball to our play makers, and right now, they aren't our RB's.

The "west coast timing offense" isn't all we saw against BYU, it says a lot about your lack of football knowledge to say what you did. Don't take it personal, just a fact.

Let's see the season play out before we assume he won't use TA on more option plays.

Some thing I feel they should take advance of is Tommie legs.

Reactions: jeans15
I think that in fact we did try to do some of the same things over and over. The screen passes and short yardage runs didn't work a majority of the time. I'm just saying a little more flexibility in approach may have helped at certain times.

Screen passes also worked, they weren't all failures, same with inside runs. You want square peg, round hole, go watch the 2014 NU defense against Wisconsin.

I had a lot of thoughts after that game yesterday.

Did we just hire Callahan 2.0 - great offensive mind and a coach that brings along an incompetent D coordinator because they are friends?

I was convinced our troubles were coaching, too many penalties, bad turnovers, a schitzo performance, look fantastic for periods of time, followed by complete ineptitude. I beginning to believe I'm mistaking poor coaching with lack of talent. There are jus too many gaps in talent on this team.

Our DLine did not impress, we can't rush the passer, it's going to be a long year.

Our OLine did not impress - did we even substitute yesterday?

I don't like playing 4 safeties in coverage instead of corners. I like the future with the young bucks, but I think we could do better in coverage with corners instead.

I did not like the RB rotation.

Westerkamp is a fine wide receiver, we need more. the other guys aren't bad, but he is by far the best route runner, and hands, man what hands.

I want to see much more consistency out of this team.

Do you really want your qb running with the ball when you have exactly squat behind him at backup? This is what you get when you've had a coach for seven years that recruits one month out the year....

Reactions: arf_man
Screen passes also worked, they weren't all failures, same with inside runs. You want square peg, round hole, go watch the 2014 NU defense against Wisconsin.
Our lineman are incredibly slow on screens. Like really, really slow. It is painfully obvious when in the stands.

all credit to BYU. They out passed us with a hurt qb and and freshman qb. Completely stuffed our running game and third and short attempts late in game. Who's the better team? Don't know, they looked pretty even.

But what I am disappointed about is coaches who come to a new job and say they will mold their system to what the new team is already good at and then don't do that.

didnt Riley say they were impressed by the spread option ability here and that they would mix that in? I praise tommy Armstrong -- he did a HELL of a job passing in Riley's scheme. But the west coast timing offense is virtually ALL we saw. I only remember one option, where tommy faked the pitch and cut up field decisively. It was a great switch up. Would have liked to see a bit more. It doesn't have to be our staple, but let's use our best tools to give us the best chance of moving the chains when the chips are on the table.

I look forward to next week. Isn't the old saying that a team improves the most between game one and two. Gbr
Very true about week one and two. Sure would've been nice to have weeks flip flopped.
I think there was a strong effort for Tommy to not run so be would go through progressions. His mechanics were so much better than last year but occasionally bee revert back to bad habits and techniques. But then he would come right back good.

Tommy should have been running the ball out of the shotgun on that last drive to close the game out, or at least a run pass option.

Reactions: Nate004
I had a lot of thoughts after that game yesterday.

Did we just hire Callahan 2.0 - great offensive mind and a coach that brings along an incompetent D coordinator because they are friends?

I was convinced our troubles were coaching, too many penalties, bad turnovers, a schitzo performance, look fantastic for periods of time, followed by complete ineptitude. I beginning to believe I'm mistaking poor coaching with lack of talent. There are jus too many gaps in talent on this team.

Our DLine did not impress, we can't rush the passer, it's going to be a long year.

Our OLine did not impress - did we even substitute yesterday?

I don't like playing 4 safeties in coverage instead of corners. I like the future with the young bucks, but I think we could do better in coverage with corners instead.

I did not like the RB rotation.

Westerkamp is a fine wide receiver, we need more. the other guys aren't bad, but he is by far the best route runner, and hands, man what hands.

I want to see much more consistency out of this team.

The only all-conference type of guy I saw was carted off the field after being knocked down on a punt. I didn't see any difference makers. Is that talent, coaching, the scheme? I don't know.

DLine - based on preseason reports of super duper massive disruption unlike any seen by the eyes of man or woman, I expected pressure more that a couple plays the entire game.

OLine - the coaching staff have already said limited rotation. I guess they want all nonstarters to transfer.

DB's - Tall receivers, play tall db's? Without watching the game and concentrating on the DB play, I thought they did well enough. More pressure (or how about any pressure) on the opposing qb would help tons.

RB's - who cares, we have moved to a pass dominated offense. Run the ball up the gut every now and then to keep defenders honest.

WR's - looked good enough.

QB - no "s" on this one. At one point, Armstrong was 8 of 10, but then it slowed down. I think throwing to a spot is going to help him more as the season progresses. I think his completion percentage was around 58% (haven't seen all the stats yet). I liked that he actually ran for a 1st down on one of the plays where the receivers were all covered. Two intentional grounding calls in one game, that might be an NCAA all-time record (sarcasm - for any too slow to identify it).

Special teams - why not discuss it, we pay a guy to coach this portion of the game. The rugby style kicking looked to make punt returns nonexistent. No reason to attempt any field goal longer than 40ish yards. I haven't heard any type of report on Foltz.

Yes, they said they would mold their talent to the talents of the team, however:

1. BYU's weakness was defending the pass. This is why we went to the air to focus on exploiting their weaknesses.

2. BYU's weakness was NOT vs the Run, in fact BYU was ranked 20th in rush D last year, add to that we had 4 o 5 of our starters with 1 total game of starting experience. And you saw a lot of that inexperience vs a stout run D for most of that game. Our O line did not have a lot of reps or starting experience, did people think that with that little factoid combined with BYU having a top 20 rush D, that our O line was just going to push them around in game one? Did people think that our inexperienced O line was going to come out and look like our O lines from the 90's? That seems pretty unrealistic.

3. Do you really want TA running the ball a ton when the drop off from our Number 1 QB is such a large gap? I mean or 2nd string guy is a walk on just for some perspective. None of these backups are ready to come in if god forbid TA gets hurt, our coaches have to be scared to death of getting TA hurt, I know I am.

Reactions: arf_man
Square peg in a round hole is doing something time after time after time, and it not working. I didn't see that against BYU. Our best tools are getting the ball to our play makers, and right now, they aren't our RB's.

The "west coast timing offense" isn't all we saw against BYU, it says a lot about your lack of football knowledge to say what you did. Don't take it personal, just a fact.
we miss #Abduallah so so so badly. our RBs are good players but we got used to #Abdullah always getting those extra 2-3 yrds, even when a play went to shit. gonna be a rough yr.

Our lineman are incredibly slow on screens. Like really, really slow. It is painfully obvious when in the stands.
I'm a silver lining sort of guy... The good thing about slow linemen on screens is no chance for ineligible receiver downfield. :)

There was definitely some plays left out there on Saturday. Would have been nice to see more stretch zones, counter, toss sweeps and options just to keep BYU a little more off balance. They were selling out on the run big time. I will let the season play out before judging the coaches, I'm sure they'll make adjustments to what they want the offense to evolve into. One thing for sure we will be in trouble if TA is throwing the ball 41 times..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT