ADVERTISEMENT

SPAM...The actual meat.

Are you absolutely sure there aren't eyelids, lips, and nasty scraps from the pig's nether regions in there? They could have slipped them in there after you left, no?
Yes, because labelling laws would require those parts listed to be listed as a byproduct on the label and not pork or ham. That goes for any item. If your hot dogs list "chicken by-product" its not meat.

Are you absolutely sure there aren't eyelids, lips, and nasty scraps from the pig's nether regions in there? They could have slipped them in there after you left, no?

Ewwwww.

Reading all these responses has not exactly made me want to chow down on a can of meat I'll tell ya that much.

Love me some spam. Nothing like it !! Not for everyone though . Frat brother ( and football player 1962-65) Deke Drum worked for Hormel in Fremont one summer. Went to see him and saw him shoveling all the meat (spam)in a grinder .

Yes, because labelling laws would require those parts listed to be listed as a byproduct on the label and not pork or ham. That goes for any item. If your hot dogs list "chicken by-product" its not meat.

Thanks...I think.

Beef jerky is easy and fabulous: a delicious, lean, delicious meal that's easy to make in a slow cooker. No frying or browning required! This is the ultimate weeknight meal — no measuring or chopping needed. Sauté beef strips in butter until browned on all sides and drain excess fat; set aside. Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch cake dish or line with aluminum foil; set aside. Well, I believe that if you want to understand everything better, you will need to check the recipe on https://www.bigwigjerky.com.au/beef-jerky-recipes/.

Last edited:
If you have had MRE's (military field food) then you've likely had spam. I think it was also used in the older C-rations as well.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Sizzle, pork, and mmmm.

Who's had it?? Seeing a ton of commercials for it that I don't remember seeing before the virus...I have yet to try it and my first question would be to anyone who bought it is, "Did the store run out of actual meat"?
Just once. A wedding, yes a wedding reception, in a town about 20 miles from Austin MN where I think they make it

thin slice it, fry it, & put it on a cheeseburger.
its quite good.
its not bacon, but probably not any worse healthwise.

I found out in college that I hated that mystery meat. I could barely choke down one bite. Can't imagine eating the whole can. Threw it away and never bought it again.

If you love ribs, bacon and pork chops, be happy that people eat SPAM, hot dogs and bologna. If farmers only got paid for the parts of the hog you enjoy, there would be a lot fewer raised.

If you love ribs, bacon and pork chops, be happy that people eat SPAM, hot dogs and bologna. If farmers only got paid for the parts of the hog you enjoy, there would be a lot fewer raised.
as long as its not straight-up, liver...im sure it gets blended in.

Sizzle, pork, and mmmm.

Who's had it?? Seeing a ton of commercials for it that I don't remember seeing before the virus...I have yet to try it and my first question would be to anyone who bought it is, "Did the store run out of actual meat"?
Very unhealthy. High in sodium, fat and calories. Not something any real nutritionist would recommend. But hey, people can choose their own poison.

as long as its not straight-up, liver...im sure it gets blended in.
I was at a swanky farmer's market a couple of years ago where a guy was selling small tins of pork liver pate for like $8. He asked me to sample some on a cracker, so I did. When he asked for a review I said, "Really good - I love Braunschweiger!"

Reactions: tpmcg
I was at a swanky farmer's market a couple of years ago where a guy was selling small tins of pork liver pate for like $8. He asked me to sample some on a cracker, so I did. When he asked for a review I said, "Really good - I love Braunschweiger!"
i could knock back some braunschweiger and deny its liver the whole way.

Reactions: schuele
If you have had MRE's (military field food) then you've likely had spam. I think it was also used in the older C-rations as well.
I never had spam in an mre. Must be a new menu addition because the original menu up to when I retired in 2004 didn't have spam.

Wrong on Spam. The ingredients are literally on the label, and they can't be lied about. They use no by-product. Its literally pork, ham, spices, preservatives and salt. It amazes me how few people know how strict our labeling laws are and what can be called what. You can't throw pigs asshole into a product and call it meat for instance, meat is only the muscle of the animal. When it lists for instance pork it must be muscle meat.

Wrong on Spam. The ingredients are literally on the label, and they can't be lied about. They use no by-product. Its literally pork, ham, spices, preservatives and salt. It amazes me how few people know how strict our labeling laws are and what can be called what. You can't throw pigs asshole into a product and call it meat for instance, meat is only the muscle of the animal. When it lists for instance pork it must be muscle meat.
I never said SPAM contains any offal or byproducts - I totally agree with you that it's made from muscle meat. But SPAM is made from underutilized cuts that need to be processed or exported, because Americans aren't going to buy them as fresh pork in great enough volume to support the production of all those ribs, bellies and chops that we love to eat.

It's a bit like chicken leg quarters. If those weren't exported or sent into processing, there would be a lot fewer breasts and wings produced.

Last edited:
i could knock back some braunschweiger and deny its liver the whole way.
I don't do it often, but once in a while I'll blend Braunschweiger with some cream cheese spread and eat it on some sourdough toast with a slice of cheese. Brings back some really good childhood memories, even if I don't use Wonderbread and Kraft American Singles anymore.

Reactions: tpmcg
When I was traveling a couple of months at a time I used throw in a couple of cans of Spam for each trip. Been eating it for years. GBA/GBR

I never had spam in an mre. Must be a new menu addition because the original menu up to when I retired in 2004 didn't have spam.
Back in the late 80's it was called Ham Slices, Ham Slice or Ham & Chicken Loaf. While it might not be the exact recipe, it is the same stuff, same preparation for long term storage, etc. Full of salt with a gelatin coating.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Back in the late 80's it was called Ham Slices, Ham Slice or Ham & Chicken Loaf. While it might not be the exact recipe, it is the same stuff, same preparation for long term storage, etc. Full of salt with a gelatin coating.
I remember it well, it was a solid piece of meat not finely minced at all. I would trade for it all the time because I always got chicken a la king.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT