ADVERTISEMENT

Beef

dsmalls3

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2017
It’s one thing to be an annoying Vegan snob….i prefer being a meat snob, and being very selective where my meat is sourced.

Anybody ever bought direct from ranch?

I nerd out on this sort of thing, have a deep freeze, etc. the cost per quality pound is a true life hack as opposed to buying meat from grocery stores (****ing gross).

What are some good ranches in Nebraska? Imagine Western NE has some real gems.

I just ordered a 1/4 grass raised/grain finished cow from what is known as a top ranch in Phoenix metro. They also dry hang and age for 21 days the carcass before they do the cuts, which makes it impossible the meat is infected, and pulls out the extra water weight from your meat, and puts a massive win in the taste per bite category.

On a level from 1-10, I’m an 11 for getting this stuff on my freezer and putting on my BGE.

It’s one thing to be an annoying Vegan snob….i prefer being a meat snob, and being very selective where my meat is sourced.

I nerd out on this sort of thing, have a deep freeze, etc. the cost per quality pound is a true life hack as opposed to buying meat from grocery stores (****ing gross).

I just ordered a 1/4 grass raised/grain finished cow from what is known as a top ranch in Phoenix metro. They also dry hang and age for 21 days the carcass before they do the cuts, which makes it impossible the meat is infected, and pulls out the extra water weight from your meat, and puts a massive win in the taste per bite category.

On a level from 1-10, I’m an 11 for getting this stuff on my freezer and putting on my BGE.
Google Abbott Ranch Nebraska. You're welcome

Reactions: Laner2 and dsmalls3
Good beef doesn’t have to come from a “ranch” air quotes, although western Nebraska ranchers do produce some fabulous cattle, most of them head to the feed yards to be grain finished. An alternative I would suggest would be to look up a county fair close to you and get names of people who show market beef cattle. After fair time, those market steers have nothing left to do but head for the freezer. Some families who show multiple calves and they need to sell some because they can’t eat more than 1-2 calves in a year. This is a benefit to the kid raising and showing cattle and to you consuming it.

A gal the works for me has a ranch in Western NE and sells a Wagyu blend. Fantastic!

Reactions: dsmalls3
Good beef doesn’t have to come from a “ranch” air quotes, although western Nebraska ranchers do produce some fabulous cattle, most of them head to the feed yards to be grain finished.
This^^^^

Personally I would look for a smaller family cattle feeding operation that has a great track record of producing highly graded cattle. The Choice grade by itself doesn't really tell you that much, because it covers everything from just-barely-graded-Choice to almost-but-not-quite-Prime. But if a feedlot is selling fed steers to some of the good branded programs, it's producing upper-half or upper-1/3 Choice. That beef will be a big upgrade from what's in most grocery stores.

I don't know anything about being a butcher, but having a good one makes a world of difference in how you enjoy your meat.

We had a bad butcher once and nothing was more frustrating than wanting a t-bone steak, but having to fight through the bone halfway down the steak just to get to the meat.

Reactions: dsmalls3
I don't know anything about being a butcher, but having a good one makes a world of difference in how you enjoy your meat.

We had a bad butcher once and nothing was more frustrating than wanting a t-bone steak, but having to fight through the bone halfway down the steak just to get to the meat.
Very true

Reactions: HuskerO

I concur, finishing up some steaks I’ve had awhile from our last steer, butcher made the t bones Tyrannosaurus rex size, didn’t trim hardly any of the fat off and lots of grissel. A good butcher is key.

Also, if you decide to invest in, say, a half or whole steer for your own use, be sure to do some research on how to cook the various cuts. There are a lot of great meals in the chuck and the round, but these are not cuts that you can just throw on the grill.

You can do that, but you won't really be getting your money's worth out of your purchase.

2e9a4a1c-e401-49b1-931a-821dc6003349_text.gif

Also, if you decide to invest in, say, a half or whole steer for your own use, be sure to do some research on how to cook the various cuts. There are a lot of great meals in the chuck and the round, but these are not cuts that you can just throw on the grill.

You can do that, but you won't really be getting your money's worth out of your purchase.
Very true. For novices it's not all hamburger and ribeyes. If you don't want to mess with roasts, they can be ground into extremely good and lean hamburger. Might be good option especially if you have kids.

Like schuele says you can get great meals out of roasts. Beef and noodles. Pot roast. Cook, slice and freeze in smaller packages for later quick meals. Stir fry. Etc etc. Kids need to eat more than hamburger, hot dogs and chicken nuggets 😋

In the KC area check out Bichelmeyers butcher shop. We’ve bought several sides of beef from them and have never been disappointed. They source their beef mostly from Kansas and Nebraska.

I enjoy making vegans (to a lesser degree vegetarians, depends on the person) watch me eat a steak. When we go out to dinner, whether it’s for work, family or friends, if I find out there’s a vegan/vegetarian in the group I order huge steak every time. I could’ve been in the mood for a nice spring salad or pasta dish, but the second I hear some twat say “I’m a vegan” it’s ribeye time baby! It’s the little things in life really… 🙂

I enjoy making vegans (to a lesser degree vegetarians, depends on the person) watch me eat a steak. When we go out to dinner, whether it’s for work, family or friends, if I find out there’s a vegan/vegetarian in the group I order huge steak every time. I could’ve been in the mood for a nice spring salad or pasta dish, but the second I hear some twat say “I’m a vegan” it’s ribeye time baby! It’s the little things in life really… 🙂
You seem like a generous person. It’s always thoughtful to offer them a big juicy bite. Wave it under their nose for full effect. They will thank you later.

• Love
Reactions: Laner2 and V-Doub
I put some greasy burgers on top of some veggie burgers I was FORCED to grill. I was told they were the best veggie burgers they've ever had and wanted to know my secret 🤪. Of course I didn't tell anyone until later that day. My wife that I was naughty..but then she thought it was hilarious

You seem like a generous person. It’s always thoughtful to offer them a big juicy bite. Wave it under their nose for full effect. They will thank you later.

For sure, but you gotta be a little more subversive about it. 1st you make yourself the center of attention at dinner, not in an obnoxious way, but in a charismatic endearing way. Break out all your best dad jokes, fun stories and compliment everyone. You basically make it impossible for the vegan to ignore you. Then once you have the whole table eating out of the palm of your hand, you dramatically exclaim how frickin amazing this Ribeye is and offer a bite to anyone at the table who wants one. Don’t direct the offer at any one specific person, but at this point one or two will most definitely take you up on the offer. Then just sit back and watch little miss vegan squirm and bristle like a muslim at a pride parade…

I put some greasy burgers on top of some veggie burgers I was FORCED to grill. I was told they were the best veggie burgers they've ever had and wanted to know my secret 🤪. Of course I didn't tell anyone until later that day. My wife that I was naughty..but then she thought it was hilarious

My mother (84 years young) makes all her “vegetarian” soups with a base chicken broth for my sister’s family (her daughter) who are all vegetarians! 🤣 And tells me not to tell them. I’m like… “Tell them? Why the hell would I do that?” Watching them say “Grandma makes the best soups ever!” is really all I want for Christmas! Like I said, the little things…

@Jaemekon is an expert. He says don’t buy at Sam’s club 🤣🤣

There are plenty of real good meat lockers in Northeast Nebraska. One in Oakland, Snyder, Howells and West Point to name a few. Cuming County is the beef capital of the world. So there's that. Can't help you if you can't find good beef in Nebraska!
But from what I’m learning here, it sounds like we need some sort of elimination tournament for Nebraska butchers to determine a pecking order

For sure, but you gotta be a little more subversive about it. 1st you make yourself the center of attention at dinner, not in an obnoxious way, but in a charismatic endearing way. Break out all your best dad jokes, fun stories and compliment everyone. You basically make it impossible for the vegan to ignore you. Then once you have the whole table eating out of the palm of your hand, you dramatically exclaim how frickin amazing this Ribeye is and offer a bite to anyone at the table who wants one. Don’t direct the offer at any one specific person, but at this point one or two will most definitely take you up on the offer. Then just sit back and watch little miss vegan squirm and bristle like a muslim at a pride parade…
In the Bible, God ordered Peter to kill and eat. It would be beyond foolish for me to question the Almighty. My apologies to all the cows out there, it is not my fault that you’re delicious.

Reactions: V-Doub
There are plenty of real good meat lockers in Northeast Nebraska. One in Oakland, Snyder, Howells and West Point to name a few. Cuming County is the beef capital of the world. So there's that. Can't help you if you can't find good beef in Nebraska!
Wynot’s is outstanding too. Their German style pork sausage is great! They can source a local farm beef I would think.

100% of us would be fooled if we were told we were eating a Tomahawk Steak from the most amazing ranch in the world....but it was really from Walmart.

Walmart does not carry tomahawk steak

Last one I got from there I set out on my table with Malcoms Killer Hogs AP seasoning for like 4-5 hours, maybe longer...then took it to a friends and we smoked it.

Time before that we did it in the oven.

I have SEEN it done on the griddle but that seemed like a ton of work.

Last edited:
It is not, we like to think it is, but it is not.

This is like saying a super hot girls snatch feels better than an ugly girl. Nope!

They all feel great. One just costs a lot more and looks better with the lights on.
No you are wrong. I have had both. Quality difference is legit.

Reactions: dinglefritz
No you are wrong. I have had both. Quality difference is legit.
Okay...so...95% of us would not notice the difference?
Is that fair?

Also, just asking, don't get pissy, how do you KNOW you had "both"?

I mean, just in this thread we had one poster think you could not get tomahawk steaks at Walmart.

Is that fair?

I mean, just in this thread we had one poster think you could not get tomahawk steaks at Walmart.
I could probably tell but I bought a half from a cattle feeder friend. It was an Angus steer fattened to prime on a self feeder and the steaks were tough. One of the risks of buying a large amount of beef from one critter is the chance of getting a genetically tough one. It happens. The Simmental breed has EPDs for tenderness now. Most of the other breeds haven’t adopted that. A large cattle feeder friend of mine actually buys some steaks from Costco. We had a tenderloin today from Costco and it was great.

I’ve had some pretty chewy ribeyes from HyVee so I quit buying steaks from them unless I absolutely have to.

Is that fair?

People who know anything about beef are not going to have any problem telling the difference between a Prime or upper-end Choice steak and one that came from Walmart. But that doesn’t mean the one from Walmart isn’t good. It will make a great meal if you prepare and cook it properly.

People who know anything about beef are not going to have any problem telling the difference between a Prime or upper-end Choice steak and one that came from Walmart. But that doesn’t mean the one from Walmart isn’t good. It will make a great meal if you prepare and cook it properly.
I think this is probably the most fair stament.

95% would not know.

Like...mixing Barton's with Sprite and Mixing Tito's with Sprite...you are not gonna notice...most of us.

Sometimes. There’s only so much you can do to a chewy steak. The issue some people have told me they’ve had with WalMart meat at times was an off flavor.

My grandkids have eaten almost exclusively my own home raised hamburger and won’t eat Costco hamburger. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: SomedayHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT