ADVERTISEMENT

1996 Fiesta Bowl

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
I don't play my physical media much in this day and age. But I was looking at my homemade DVDs from the Callahan era. It was a time when I was using a dedicated DVD burner to record the games. I had done elaborate artwork for the DVD cases. Then I spot this 1996 Fiesta Bowl DVD on the shelf. I've never played it. It was my late mother's. I recorded that game on the VHS back in the day. I must have worn it out playing it so much. As I was too young to remember 1970 & 1971, this was my first (witnessed) championship.

As I looked at the package, I realize that it's still in the original shrink wrap. Wow. A virgin disc from almost 30 years ago. I looked it over and was hoping this was not a crap production. After viewing the 1st quarter, I think this is the original CBS broadcast with Drunkenburger and the gang. It's missing the commercials, which make the game go faster.

That 1995 squad was so loaded. Every time they panned to a different play, there would be another Husker that would go on to a lengthy NFL career. Tomich, Wistrom, Booker, Farley, Frazier, Phillips, Childs, Peter Bros., the list goes on. I know that LP was a head case, but he just might have been the best RB ever at NU. Phenomenal talent.

I still have my VHS tapes. I just don't have any VCRs hooked up to play them back. What a cool find. Anyone have a large collection of game tapes/DVDs?

iKHtJq4l.jpg
XPppm5Xl.jpg
0kRYYxil.jpg

I don't play my physical media much in this day and age. But I was looking at my homemade DVDs from the Callahan era. It was a time when I was using a dedicated DVD burner to record the games. I had done elaborate artwork for the DVD cases. Then I spot this 1996 Fiesta Bowl DVD on the shelf. I've never played it. It was my late mother's. I recorded that game on the VHS back in the day. I must have worn it out playing it so much. As I was too young to remember 1970 & 1971, this was my first (witnessed) championship.

As I looked at the package, I realize that it's still in the original shrink wrap. Wow. A virgin disc from almost 30 years ago. I looked it over and was hoping this was not a crap production. After viewing the 1st quarter, I think this is the original CBS broadcast with Drunkenburger and the gang. It's missing the commercials, which make the game go faster.

That 1995 squad was so loaded. Every time they panned to a different play, there would be another Husker that would go on to a lengthy NFL career. Tomich, Wistrom, Booker, Farley, Frazier, Phillips, Childs, Peter Bros., the list goes on. I know that LP was a head case, but he just might have been the best RB ever at NU. Phenomenal talent.

I still have my VHS tapes. I just don't have any VCRs hooked up to play them back. What a cool find. Anyone have a large collection of game tapes/DVDs?

iKHtJq4l.jpg
XPppm5Xl.jpg
0kRYYxil.jpg
Watch Party at Big Boxes

• Love
Reactions: bigboxes

iKHtJq4l.jpg
XPppm5Xl.jpg
0kRYYxil.jpg
Was there. Great night. "Great to beat the Florida Gators". Watching those douchebags head for the exit so was awesome.

I bought the DVD years later. My dad might have the VHS.

Was there. Great night. "Great to beat the Florida Gators". Watching those douchebags head for the exit so was awesome.

Awesome experience that you were able to attend. Very cool. Bucket list item for me to watch Huskers win it all.

iKHtJq4l.jpg
XPppm5Xl.jpg
0kRYYxil.jpg
Yup. Nough said

I recorded every game available on TV to VHS starting when I got my first recorder in 1983. The first game I recorded was the UCLA game in September 1983. As time went on more and more games were on TV and I ended up with four medium UHaul boxes of VHS tapes I stored up in my garage rafters. Early on the highest density VHS tapes were 90 minutes, but if I ran in "LP" mode I sacrificed some quality for getting the whole game on one tape.

By the time I got my DVD player around 1999 almost every game was on TV and I recorded them all. I quit recording them during the 2017 season because I decided I had NEVER gone back and watched a game I had recorded except during the spring/summer following the season I might go back and look at a game from that season and I could do that by saving the season to DVR.

When we moved away from California in 2019 we downsized big time. I asked some SoCal Husker fans if they wanted the collection and nobody wanted it. We had three very large and well-attended yard sales and I put the collection on a table for $200 and no one even looked through it really, so I threw a couple hundred VHS tapes and several hundred DVDs into the trash.

iKHtJq4l.jpg
XPppm5Xl.jpg
0kRYYxil.jpg
Can't believe they ruin the outcome by putting the score on the cover like that.

• Haha
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
I had a large collection of VHS tapes. Rather than throw them away, I got rid of them to another fan one one of these boards about 10 years ago. I bought the HuskerVision sets for the historic 1993-1997 seasons. Those have HuskerVision video with radio audio for the most part, so quality is sketchy at times.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Sounds like you already know this, but make sure you have digital copies of your DVD's before rot gets them.

Interesting to think that NES cartridges etc will long outlast games made for the PS1 etc.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Musberger didn't call that game, he was with ABC by that point. Jim Nantz has the iconic call, "Look at Tommie Frazier. How many tackles can one man break?"
Musberger never recovered from the “how many Heismans can this kid win!?!?!!” when Mirer threw his first TD for the Domers.

Reactions: redfanusa
Musberger didn't call that game, he was with ABC by that point. Jim Nantz has the iconic call, "Look at Tommie Frazier. How many tackles can one man break?"
My sons and I sat right behind Pat O’Brien and Boomer Esaison in the end zone. Boomer was a dick to my kids. Pat was very gracious. Boomer appeared to be pissed that NU was puttin it on the Gators.

I think I have my program in a file. Still have my Fiesta Bowl cap and sweatshirt. Unworn. Might have to break them out for a game this fall.
I have so many programs and Huskersillustrated Magazines. I don't pay attention, but are programs a thing anymore? I got a program at every game I went to as a kid as my dad and grandpa always bought one, but probably don't even waste printing them anymore. Gave me something to do as we were always in the stadium early to watch the team warm up.

I taped most games from the 90s to early in Bo's tenure. At some point I transferred those and other videos I acquired to DVD and someone on here took all my tapes. About 8 years ago I began the process of uploading most of my DVD's to youtube. I have uploaded over 170 games/videos to youtube. My username there is bmboldt. Some of you probably have watched some of my videos. There are a couple other guys who are uploading more recent games thankfully because I haven't recorded in a long time.

I taped most games from the 90s to early in Bo's tenure. At some point I transferred those and other videos I acquired to DVD and someone on here took all my tapes. About 8 years ago I began the process of uploading most of my DVD's to youtube. I have uploaded over 170 games/videos to youtube. My username there is bmboldt. Some of you probably have watched some of my videos. There are a couple other guys who are uploading more recent games thankfully because I haven't recorded in a long time.
Outstanding..

My sons and I sat right behind Pat O’Brien and Boomer Esaison in the end zone. Boomer was a dick to my kids. Pat was very gracious. Boomer appeared to be pissed that NU was puttin it on the Gators.
If you have heard Pats voicemails he may have been angling for a night of nose beers and threesomes

That’s weird, since Dave Rimington is one of his best friends and President of the Boomer Esiason Foundation. Also, his foundation sponsors the Rimington Trophy.
It was kind of strange. My youngest had an N painted on his cheek and of course at halftime they asked him to autograph a program. According to my oldest Boomer told them to “get lost” but O’Brien said yes and was very nice. I was wondering if Boomer had a large wager on the game. Some people’s personna changes depending on the status of who they’re interacting with.

Still have my program and a golf towel. I just remember going to the Gameday set after the game and heckling Corso. Nebraska can't play on grass!
It was up in a parking structure, right? I walked by yelling something at them...God knows what.

The anguish back in the day of failing to pause VHS recording at a commercial or restarting at end of break?!? Oh the humanity!!

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
I recorded many games in the 80's and 90's. I traded other collectors for games I did not have both Nebraska, and many 70's NFL games. I also purchased VHS copies of Huskervision games from 1997 to 2004 on eBay in one large purchase. The cost came to about $2 per video tape. I also have some Nebraska games I recorded off the radio on cassette tape. About 15 years ago I converted all the tapes over to DVD and wore out a DVD burner doing so. I just counted my boxes and there are 26 boxes. The boxes are paper boxes that hold 10 reams of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Which, by the way, are great storage boxes. The only games I ever watch are the ones from the 70's and early 80's. Some day I will have to find them a new home, but for now I am not ready to part with them yet.

Would have been great to beat FSU in the 1994 Orange Bowl. Would have been a Sweet Three-peat over all three big Florida schools!

The Florida teams were pretty arrogant but I remember Danny Wuerffel being very gracious in interviews about how good we were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT