ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Is Boring

There's a reason they brawl in the stands and start wars over soccer. It's so boring there's nothing else to do.

Reactions: Baxter48
To summarize the remarks above: Soccer is slightly more fun to watch than the past year of Husker football.

Soccer never really took off here because it is difficult to sell in a capitalistic society. What does that mean? It's not designed for commercial breaks.

That has changed somewhat with a huge immigrant population, and of course we are seeing it advertised more and more because of that, but yeah it's not very action packed, and as soon as you go to a break, someone could score, even then, meh..

I don't think those players are in any more shape than other athletes, just different area of focus. They surely can't squat large amounts of weight, and you potentially wouldn't want to try to turn soccer players into receivers either.

I prefer watching football over soccer, but as my kids play more, I can appreciate the strategy and skill of soccer. Kind of like appreciating a football game more, when you know the responsibilities of a lineman or the design of a play, rather than just casually seeing a game with no in depth knowledge.

The reason the rest of the world scoffs at American football is due to the lack of actual live play. The WSJ had a study a few years back(2014 or 2015) and I am sure many have been done similarly. The average NFL game has around 12 minutes of 'live ball' time. The rest of the 3 hour broadcast is either commercials, replays, or players preparing for a play, or reacting to the previous play.

Money will always be the determining factor as to what sport has the best athletes and that will not be soccer, unless the head injury issue drastically changes the landscape of football. Then soccer could make inroads vs baseball and basketball, but would take decades imho.

The reason the rest of the world scoffs at American football is due to the lack of actual live play. The WSJ had a study a few years back(2014 or 2015) and I am sure many have been done similarly. The average NFL game has around 12 minutes of 'live ball' time. The rest of the 3 hour broadcast is either commercials, replays, or players preparing for a play, or reacting to the previous play.

Every time I watch soccer, seems like they stop the game every minute because there's a guy flopping on the ground acting like he's been shot or something. Then 99% of the "live play" is just kicking the ball back and forth.

I know there's strategy, but actual shots on goal comprise very little of the game time. Whereas in American Football, every single play has the potential to be a score. And there's less time in between plays in football than the time it takes to kick the ball from one end of the field to the other in soccer.

Soccer never really took off here because it is difficult to sell in a capitalistic society. What does that mean? It's not designed for commercial breaks.

That has changed somewhat with a huge immigrant population, and of course we are seeing it advertised more and more because of that, but yeah it's not very action packed, and as soon as you go to a break, someone could score, even then, meh..

I don't think those players are in any more shape than other athletes, just different area of focus. They surely can't squat large amounts of weight, and you potentially wouldn't want to try to turn soccer players into receivers either.

No. Soccer is popular worldwide because all you need is a ball. Low cost for entry level for poor people (I.e. most of the world)

Reactions: Baxter48
What does that mean? It's not designed for commercial breaks.

Commercial breaks eh? The Premier League brings in more $ than the NBA. The best soccer players make more money than LeBron James. Imagine how much wealthier Reggie Bush would be if he played soccer. I love college football above every other sport but I can get down on some soccer.

- The average NFL game has only 11 minutes of Action.

- Moyer found that, on average, "a baseball fan will see 17 minutes and 58 seconds of action over the course of a three-hour game.

- Soccer is always in motion.. but nothing appears to be happening.

I do wish college football had less breaks. That is the best thing about Soccer, although that gets nullified by all the fake injuries (worst thing about soccer)

I like football, college basketball, hockey, volleyball, AND soccer. I’ll flip on the NBA or MLB during the playoffs or watch a big event in a combat sport. Don’t really care for racing or individual sports like golf or tennis, but I get why some people might like them. Turns out most sports have pluses and minuses.

I like that soccer has regular international competition, and that because it’s played in just about every time zone you can usually find a soccer game to watch whatever time of day. Premier league mornings are a much better appetizer for a day of football than a bunch of talking heads behind a desk, IMHO.

I think it’s weird to be so uninterested in a sport that you make a point of telling other people how uninteresting it is to you. Lurk

Commercial breaks eh? The Premier League brings in more $ than the NBA. The best soccer players make more money than LeBron James. Imagine how much wealthier Reggie Bush would be if he played soccer. I love college football above every other sport but I can get down on some soccer.

- The average NFL game has only 11 minutes of Action.

- Moyer found that, on average, "a baseball fan will see 17 minutes and 58 seconds of action over the course of a three-hour game.

- Soccer is always in motion.. but nothing appears to be happening.

I do wish college football had less breaks. That is the best thing about Soccer, although that gets nullified by all the fake injuries (worst thing about soccer)
I never made any claims about the amount of money, just that the sport traditionally had some difficulty in monetizing it.

You can also look at other examples.. Why do they have road races in the streets of Europe while we only have either a dragstrip or an oval track? In our case, you have a captive audience you can sell a ticket to, where as a large road race, not only puts a big inconvenience for the local people, is impossible to sell tickets to here.

I just think a lot of sports popularity come from a more historical background that involves differences in how it can be monetized. The most popular sports here are the ones that promoters can make the most money from.

I realize Soccer is a big deal in other countrys, but if your not a parent or grandparent how can you watch it ? if they shorten the field it might help they spend 99% of the game in the middle of the field doing nothing. well I got that off my chest.

Good to know. I love watching soccer.You could probably tell that by my profile picture of Clint Dempsey. I'm hoping to be at the last regular season home game for the Seattle Sounders, surrounded by 50,000 or so of my closest friends standing and chanting. And drinking.

Well I got that off my chest.

I realize Soccer is a big deal in other countrys, but if your not a parent or grandparent how can you watch it ? if they shorten the field it might help they spend 99% of the game in the middle of the field doing nothing. well I got that off my chest.
While there can be boring games, many people simply don't understand what they are watching. Maybe catching a world cup match every 4 years and thinking that is top level soccer. Much like any other sport, makes it hard to follow and enjoy.

I've sat with numerous in-laws in England or friends in Mexico or Brazil that just shake their head watching American Football wondering who would ever watch something so boring. I don't bother trying to explain it to them any longer. To each their own. I really don't understand knocking sports you don't like though. Just makes people sound threatened by them. But then, lots of people are scared and threatened by things they don't understand or that are different from what they are used to.

I dislike basketball and baseball. Well, I dislike watching baseball, I don't mind playing it. I don't begrudge people that do like those sports or call them stupid or don't understand why they watch it.

the smartest thing the NFL did year ago was hire John madden he could explain where even the novice fans could understand. I've always said that about ice hockey I'd like to watch it but don't understand it yes you get the puck in the net, it would help for even soccer most people don't understand it except getting the ball in the net.

Professional Soccer is overtly dramatic at times. Some players act like they’ve lost a limb whenever they get touched. A ridiculous sport. Even more ridiculous fan base in European countries with all the riots!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT