ADVERTISEMENT

So whats different this time

The main difference is that Frost has a vision for what his program will be. From the walk on program to the height of DE's they have a plan for what they want. Another major difference i see is QB recruiting/play. An elite qb can make up for deficiencies in other areas and we've missed that since Crouch. Frost understands this. The fact that we've been locking down qb recruits a year plus ahead of time speaks to this. They know what they want.

Easy...Scott Frost...that’s the biggest difference. And Mike Riley should have never been hired. Those are the obvious ones.
Riley had a better record Career against top 25 teams vs. Bo Pelini...I maintain that Bo hurt the program worse than Riley...as Bo figured out a way to extend his career and INCOME by beating bad teams. Is it really better to go 9-4 and get blown out in all four losses vs. going 5-7 and maybe beating a rival who is in the top 10. I see little difference, except the latter gets fired and clears the way for a better option. NU athletics also sunk 30 million into the Pelini brothers alone, with no gain whatsoever.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Riley had a better record Career against top 25 teams vs. Bo Pelini...I maintain that Bo hurt the program worse than Riley...as Bo figured out a way to extend his career and INCOME by beating bad teams. Is it really better to go 9-4 and get blown out in all four losses vs. going 5-7 and maybe beating a rival who is in the top 10. I see little difference, except the latter gets fired and clears the way for a better option. NU athletics also sunk 30 million into the Pelini brothers alone, with no gain whatsoever.
I see a huge difference between 9-4 and 5-7, especially when we had more blowouts at 5-7. There's a reason Pelini was here for 7 years while Riley and Callahan were only here for 3 or 4 years.

I see a huge difference between 9-4 and 5-7, especially when we had more blowouts at 5-7. There's a reason Pelini was here for 7 years while Riley and Callahan were only here for 3 or 4 years.
Bo's first 3 years were a gift from some of the best recruiting classes in NU history. When Bo was fully in charge with his own players the product dropped dramatically which is why he was 3-23 against top 25 teams. I have no respect for a coach that feeds on a very weak schedule...a sunbelt lineup and then a weakened big 10 conference. Remember that OSU, Michigan were both down during his tenure as was texas early on. To contrast that Cally, who had a top 3 class in 2007 had to play SEVEN top 25 offenses, and 4 top 10 teams. Bo rarely played a top 25 offense and when he did...they put up 70. Callys non-conference included top ranked USC twice...Bo's non-conference included non-ranked v-tech, Ucla, miami...so he played FCS teams, sunbelt teams, non-ranked power 5 teams, and a weakened big 10 without Meyer or Harbaugh. And on top of this the only time he beat wisky, michigan, or ohio state was with an interim coach, or a backup qb. So Bo was fortuitous...and for some reason Nebraskans can't count or have no awareness that Arkansas State isn't arkansas or that Wyoming isn't a top program.

1. We have an administration and a chancellor who understands the athletics department matters and is actively working for the athletic department and not against it. Had not been that way for a long while.

2. We have an AD who isn't more concerned about their own legacy than they are about making their decisions based on the history of what has been successful at Nebraska historically.

3. We have an actual plan in place on and off the field and a fairly unified vision for what the program is, should and can be from the fans, the boosters, the players, the coaches and the administration as a whole. Over the past 20 years we were lucky when 2 or 3 of those lined up let alone 4 or 5.

From my view I don't know about Green's commitment to athletics. Bounds has been the maker/shaker in that area. For sure the audit of the athletic department was all Bounds.

I remember articles about Bounds at practice and Ricketts at practice but not so for Green. Heck Ricketts even had to have his parking ticket fixed for when he attended practice lol.

With Bounds leaving I hope they find an athletic friendly President.

I’m a business owner/entrepreneur and therefore consider myself a student of leadership. Frost has the “it” factor. He has all of the leadership traits that are essential in making an organization great. He understands core values. Schemes, personnel, operations, etc may change but values are constant. He understands that. He knows his vision and clearly communicates exactly what he wants to do, where he’s going and how he is going to get there. He understands the value of culture, prioritizing the little things, and creating within the culture the attitude and mindset that leaders will be developed from within, and it will compound itself with the internal creation of more leaders, the natural result is peer to peer accountability that not only goes from the top down, but also from the bottom up. He also realizes the need to excel in every aspect. From recruiting, to S&C and nutrition, to how meetings and practice are conducted to execution on the field. I also think he has the humility to to realize no matter how good you are, you can always improve. I think he is the kind of guy who would be the first to take the proverbial “bullet” for his team’s failure and yet will gladly “pass the buck” when it comes to his team’s success. He has the intangibles that his predecessors lacked. He can manage the dichotomy of leadership. He can tell the media how it is and at times come across as an a-hole while being genuine and empathic. He can motivate players without jumping down their throat and yet without coddling them. The examples of the dichotomy are endless and Frost seems to navigate the whole thing quite well. I think Frost is different and destine for greatness not only because of his football knowledge, but because of his intangible qualities.

At the end of the day if you are the head coach of a P5 football program, your success or failure rarely hinges on your football knowledge or schemes. At this level I would say the overwhelming percentage of head coaches have an elite level of knowledge of X’s and O’s. Success and failure hinges on the intangibles. Frost has those intangibles, and IMO he has those intangibles on an elite level.

All of his predecessors had certain intangibles, every coach at this level does. However I believe there are very few holes in Frost’s intangibles while there were glaring holes in those of his predecessors, many of which were discussed on this board, often long before they were actually fired.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
It was all Bounds that made those decisions and you'll likely never see Green at a football practice. Yes.

The main point is whenever Bounds (or anyone in athletics) has asked for administrative support from Green, they got it, often happily getting more help than was initially asked for but also then left alone and allowed to do their job. You never hear anything about Green and the coaching staffs because he keeps a professional relationship with them and has thus far proven capable of keeping personal and professional relationships separate. He's never to my knowledge made a decision that would implicitly harn the athletic department, though he has of course made decisions where he has said no to a request on a buisness level.

Perlman was a good chancellor as far as the accademic side was concerned, but his athletic decisions were often made entirely upon wether he personally liked the people involved. Regardless of if it was actually a benefit to the athletic department or not.

It was all Bounds that made those decisions and you'll likely never see Green at a football practice. Yes.

The main point is whenever Bounds (or anyone in athletics) has asked for administrative support from Green, they got it, often happily getting more help than was initially asked for but also then left alone and allowed to do their job. You never hear anything about Green and the coaching staffs because he keeps a professional relationship with them and has thus far proven capable of keeping personal and professional relationships separate. He's never to my knowledge made a decision that would implicitly harn the athletic department, though he has of course made decisions where he has said no to a request on a buisness level.

Perlman was a good chancellor as far as the accademic side was concerned, but his athletic decisions were often made entirely upon wether he personally liked the people involved. Regardless of if it was actually a benefit to the athletic department or not.

Here is an interesting article for you to consider (The Ohio State President).

OSU is and has been on top over a long period because they are emotionally invested in their program at every level. Bounds had it right saying athletics is the front porch to the University and OSU has known this for years.

OSU is and has been on top over a long period because they are emotionally invested in their program at every level. Bounds had it right saying athletics is the front porch to the University and OSU has known this for years.
This guy said it best. NU Should not be ****ed over we are GO BIG RED

Well said.

Not all 9 win seasons are created equal. Bo won 9 every year, but did so with smoke and mirrors. He also got blown out in big games a lot. It was clear things were not really going to be any different (or better) and there were indications things were trending downward. Contrast that to Osborne who also had many nine win seasons, but rarely got blown out and forged a unique identity of toughness that kept us coming back for more. I agree with you that if Frost averages nine wins and fields a tough team that competes hard and recruits well, that he will be here for the long haul.

But... if his nine win seasons are Pelniesque, I am nog sure I share your optimism
Bo also faced a watered down Big 10 East. Scandals at Ohio State(no Urban), Penn State losing all the scholarships and Brady Hoke at Michigan. Wisconsin capitalized on this situation

I bet Frost will survive as many 9-4 seasons he wants.
Agree, if Frost can avoid losing seasons and get that 9 or 10 win mark most years. I don't see him going anywhere, any time soon. If Bo wasn't an Ass hat, I would bet he would still be around as well.

Two major differences of note is that from what understand, for the Ohio Department of Education system the Chancellor has no part in any of the athletic department decisions for any schools they oversee and athletic department decisions such as the hiring/firing of the athletic director is the purview of the individual university's president.

Wheras in the Nebraska system the Chancellor does handle hiring/firing of athletic department personel - and unlike in Ohio, each university does not have it's own president. The president like the Chancellor oversees the entire state system and simply makes a recomendation if they wish. Which the Chancellor can simply ignore if they choose.

IMO we should adopt the Ohio system here so that each university in the Nebraska system has it's own president and remove the Chancellor from the athletic department decision making process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT