ADVERTISEMENT

So whats different this time

The difference I think is that most of us really believe that Frost will succeed where others have failed. Sure, most of us were positive about some of the last several coaches, but I'm not sure how much we really believed they were going to be championship-level coaches.

I and some others spent a lot of time defending Mike Riley to the point that we were labeled Riley apologists-as if we were huge Riley fans who were just giddy over his hiring(I doubt that was really true of anyone). But the truth is, at least for me(and probably for others as well) is it was out of a sense of fairness, as in he needs to be given a fair chance. He was given a fair chance and failed miserably. I can't say at any point while I defended Riley that I really believed he was going to be a championship-level coach. I thought he could do a better job than he did, but I wasn't thinking "this is the coach that is going to lead us to the promised land".

I brought up Riley first because he was the toughest of the last 4 coaches to defend and feel optimistic about. I spent my share of time defending Callahan too-again, more out of a sense of him needing to be given a fair chance then really believing he was going to be a great coach. I can say maybe I had myself believing briefly that he could lead us to championships when I saw how good his first full recruiting class was, but I'm not sure I could say I really believed it deep down. I defended Pelini a lot too until his final season, but again I can't say I really believed he was going to lead us to championships-maybe briefly after the end of the 2009 season at the Holiday Bowl when he made his "Nebraska is back and we're here to stay" comment, but I could see the next season that was probably just a dream. The only one of the last 4 coaches I could really say I believed that would lead us to championship-level success was Solich, and that was early in his tenure when we were just coming off of 3 championships in 4 years and I had little reason to believe that kind of success wouldn't continue.

But Frost is different. I have a faith in him that I never had with the last 4. I can say he will lead us to championships sometime, and really believe it. He just seems to be on a different level than any of those 4. He projects a level of confidence that the others didn't. He has experienced actual championship-level success as a college coach, unlike any of those 4. Unlike any of those 4, he was also a genuinely hot prospect who just about any other school would have taken if they had a chance. So there is something very different to me about Frost, and it's not just the level of support he has from fans. He really seems like a real championship-level coach, and not one you have to strain to see it.
Great post!

The difference is Stoops also WON a ton of big games and a ton of titles. Pelini, with very few exceptions, lost every big game that mattered and often got embarrassed in the process. I will “get over” watching Nebraska get blown out when I also watch Nebraska winning like Stoops did.

Wasnt really the point of the story. If really good teams can get blown out so can we.

Agree it that its easier to save program face if you've won something in the process.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Agree Pelini would still be here.
I edited my post. Pelini would still be here IF he continued his 9-10 wins EVEN with no championships of any kind.

But asking Bo to not be an ass is like asking Carl not to be a womanizer.

I edited my post. Pelini would still be here IF he continued his 9-10 wins EVEN with no championships of any kind.

Still agree! Thought it was what you originally said, I skim a bunch of these :)

Reactions: HuskerO

I think the other factor though in Pelini’s demise was the realization that his recruiting was slipping and we were facing some huge roster holes.

Reactions: HuskerO
Yep. This year is important. We need to turn that corner. Then the recruits will come.

Don't get me wrong, I want a good year and feel like we're going to have one (although what most of us is expecting is a Pelini-esque type season, 9ish wins and a Div title).

But people are more or less impacted by "points of light" more than they are sort of long term measurements.

Like, for a lot of seasons on here I've noticed alot of fans wallowing in pity because blah blah coach is getting NU beaten pretty good, but maybe we put up afew scores in the second half or something. We proceed to go "what kid in their right mind would come here" etc.

And then like an hour after the games over, some recruit is on twitter pointing out something like, "NU QB had 250 2nd half yards and 3TD's and a bunch of younger guys got reps" or something and they end up committing some time later. So even though the season wasn't great, they pick out highlights that spoke to them whether it was a gameday experience or watching some sort of mini rally in garbage time or whatver.

Now don't get me wrong, having a Cinderella season would go a long way to putting together a Top 5 type of class, but I don't think Coach is necessarily pinning all his hopes on a Cindarella year jumpstarting his job. He more or less expects to build his program in the manner he knows and knows that at some point, regardless of W/L column, the engine he built will start and take off.

Its eminently clear from his STRATCOM talk that he's a culture over talent kind of guy although he knows he needs his fair share of good football players to have a shot. I just think his "fair share of good players" and our idea of that concept on a recruiting board, differ at certain junctions.

I think the other factor though in Pelini’s demise was the realization that his recruiting was slipping and we were facing some huge roster holes.

In all likelihood his recruiting would have sabotaged his ability to keep winning 9 games.

I guess what I'm more or less getting at with HuskerO is that for as upset as some folks were with his demeanor and on the field losses, he was still doing good enough if he kept producing at that level.

I think Frost is going to do quite well, well enough to not lose his job for 20 years, so I think alot of that banter is moot, but who knows, there is a possibility the program just falls apart on him however unlikely I judge that.

NU just faces a tough decision if they want to say Frost's 9 wins aren't good enough. Through the last couple of coaching changes I pulled up a list of active coaches in NCAA FB and compared them against fan board wishes, proven winner, championship titles of some level on their resume, etc. And the short answer is, the small handful of those guys in existence coached at Clemson, OU, OSU, Bama, etc and the rest of us were taking some sort of risk on guys who had demonstrated some pieces of the package, but not the entire thing (Zatechka essentially made this same point several times).

I don't see the citizens of the state wanting to throw out Frost and his culture at 9 wins, to go find another guy who is more or less going to be unproven for us but we'd certainly be flushing the Old Nebraska down the toilet to find out if he was a game or two better.

Heard one of the ESPN gambling experts on the radio here in KC the other day - wish I remembered his name. He was talking about the over/under on the local teams (HARD under on KU 3.5, BTW). Mostly talked about KU, KSU, Mizzou. But - he did mention he really liked MSU in the B1G East, and doesn’t trust Michigan at all.

That was the run-up to this. They asked about Nebraska at 8.5. Strong Over. Then he said Frost will have NU at 10 wins from here on out. He also said, that while he doesn’t handicap the Heisman, he thinks Martinez is a likely winner as soon as this year. Frost knows how to maximize his QBs.

There are a few yes... When Glen Mason talks I want to gouge my eyes out. Dinardo is entertaining, but is clueless. The programming is decent, but I don't really listen to their predictions or judgement on teams because there is a lot that hasn't been close.
I'm talking specifically about the Summer Tour Bus they do every year. They go view each team's practice and give their impressions based on live observations. It's hard for anyone to go to 7 straight (well 14 straight, but I don't pay attn to the East) campuses and screw that up. The commentary between Purdue and UW was pretty different, and tonight is Minnesota followed by you guys, Iowa and the 2 Illinois schools.

I don't think people have a real understanding of what it takes to operate at the highest levels. I mean yes TO more or less made a blueprint and solich more or less followed it. But the margins for error are so small that people that franchise blueprints often don't have the same successes.

There was never a playcaller on staff who was as gifted or experienced as Tom. The recruiting was never as good. Arguably the team/psych/personnel management wasn't as good as Tom was a pretty damn good papa bear.

All those things matter and no one has really replicates Tom's system since. Not even Bohl who has attempted to follow probably more closely than anyone but he's never really given a chance to do it at the real big boy level of CFB.

Which is why I'm super interested in watching Frost over the years as alot of the stuff he's implement from TO is more from a culture and running a program side of the house and alot of what he learned at Oregon is shading the scheme side of the house.

Where things have more or less collided evenly between the two schools is practice where's he's running Oregon pace with a more TO sized walk on roster and an emphasis on individual players being more physical.

Count me in this camp. You can have the same drills, same S & C emphasis, same everything but the guy pulling the trigger has to have an eye on the very smallest details. I have heard stories of TO recruiting guys that few people even knew existed. He saw something in them and exactly where they would fit. He was a master at planning and game day execution. It is said he would send in a play and already have the next play ready knowing how many yards he would have to gain before the plan even went off.

How many times have you heard players say that Tom would say something, they didn't always believe it until they kept seeing them come true, then they trusted his every word.

Does Frost have that extra little eye for the unobvious? I have no clue but we will see.

Some things I disagree with as well, while I am here. He needs very good athletes to run this offense. My goodness, look at who we have currently? Highly rated players everywhere. the D has to improve dramatically and I do not buy in to the fact his fast paced offense hampers his D. Get and coach better players. The margin between being a very good program and a great program is very small, but highly important.

Count me in this camp. You can have the same drills, same S & C emphasis, same everything but the guy pulling the trigger has to have an eye on the very smallest details. I have heard stories of TO recruiting guys that few people even knew existed. He saw something in them and exactly where they would fit. He was a master at planning and game day execution. It is said he would send in a play and already have the next play ready knowing how many yards he would have to gain before the plan even went off.

How many times have you heard players say that Tom would say something, they didn't always believe it until they kept seeing them come true, then they trusted his every word.

Does Frost have that extra little eye for the unobvious? I have no clue but we will see.

Some things I disagree with as well, while I am here. He needs very good athletes to run this offense. My goodness, look at who we have currently? Highly rated players everywhere. the D has to improve dramatically and I do not buy in to the fact his fast paced offense hampers his D. Get and coach better players. The margin between being a very good program and a great program is very small, but highly important.

I think especially for Frost he wants to restore the Blackshirt D, but I still believe it will lag the offense.

What is probably our most proudest moment as Husker fans? Warren Sapp bent over gasping for air after taking on his 50th bar fight that evening.

Elite athletes get wore out. Frost can recruit Warren Sapp, but if Adrian starts running this O like we think he can, our next Sapp is going to be on the field quite a bit. It will impact the defensive statistics. I don't think its coinicidence that anyone involved with the NU program harps on the whole disruptive and turnover thing when they mention defense, that's one area where NU will have to be better to make the defense work. More TO's is more time off the field, more points for the offense which is more margin for the defense.

There might be some years where the D is just lights out, but I think generally the case will be its carried by the offense.

Ok after everyone has consumed gallons of koolaide, what makes this coach different from the last four coaches who ended up getting fired?

For the record I think this time is different and here are my reasons

• Fan expectations are different at least in the short haul. This coach and this staff will get years to make this thing work, they can take time to build even if the results are not immediate. This continuity will pay huge dividends down the road
  • We went from TO being on the cutting edge with an offense we built an identity around to several coaches who tried to force us to do whatever everyone else did. There was nothing about NU that stood out. I think with Frost that has changed
  • Back to basics - how in the world did the last staff allow these players to get so weak. In the Big10 we have been simply out muscled and could not match the physical play. I thin starting this year we take a big step forward in this area
  • The west - finally a division that will benefit us and not hurt us. We can be better than these teams. We have more tradition, recruit better and if these players are developed it will show. I am not sold on the Wi coach many times he seems incoherent, there is not way he will out recruit Frost. Ferentz is in the twilight of his career. He has never demonstrated he can bring in the talent needed to win a conference title. He is a good coach but their ceiling is so much lower than ours. Minnesota, NW will never be a consistent power. If we do what we should the West should be ours most years.

Your mom

Regarding Chryst, he has to do it on the field yes, but BTN gave the Badgers a glowing review yesterday. Not so fast on the Badger demise good sir
Chryst is simply painful to listen to - he seems very unsure or wandering in his thoughts. WI is starting to feel the effects of bad decisions, Gary Anderson for one then Chryst hiring a DC with basically no coaching experience. I think what you are seeing is these decisions are starting to have a cumulative effect and then the Dam will break much as it did with our program

Well said.

Not all 9 win seasons are created equal. Bo won 9 every year, but did so with smoke and mirrors. He also got blown out in big games a lot. It was clear things were not really going to be any different (or better) and there were indications things were trending downward. Contrast that to Osborne who also had many nine win seasons, but rarely got blown out and forged a unique identity of toughness that kept us coming back for more. I agree with you that if Frost averages nine wins and fields a tough team that competes hard and recruits well, that he will be here for the long haul.

But... if his nine win seasons are Pelniesque, I am nog sure I share your optimism

If Frost doesn't get over the 9 win threshold within 5 years, I think he will be looking for a way to get out. He is too damn competitive to put up with 4 losses every year. I think he is expecting at least 9 wins this year and 10 or more next year.

This is something that fascinated me about TO. I talked with him one night after he spoke to a church group. He liked to talk about various aspects of coaching if he had the time to delve into the details. That night we talked recruiting. He used Doug Dubose as an example of how they looked at HS players differently than most teams, and evaluated differently. Dubose was only being really recruited by 2 schools other than NU: Syracuse, and they were in a down period, and Connecticut. Both were recruiting him as a DB. Despite that, he was NU's #3 target at RB. When their first 2 targets committed elsewhere, they went after Dubose hard. Other schools suddenly started showing some interest, since NU was really chasing him, but he committed to NU. I got to talk to TO on other issues in some detail 2 other times and I really enjoyed hearing the thought processes (even if he had to dumb it down a bit!).

If you listened to Scott's STRATCOM video someone posted, I think he thinks the uniqueness thing is somewhat overblown. I know several people on here think NU is going to be a unique offensive system but it seems to be kind of a half truth kind of thing.

Like Scott pointed out in the talk, in 1990's it took teams forever to dissect what NU was doing and couldn't really replicate it on an easy timeline. At Oregon, their style of offense went from being unique to something like half the teams in CFB run some version of it really quickly. Or he pointed out he'd script up a neat play, and a week later, three other teams in the conference were pulling it out in a game situation.

I do think Scott will be innovative, and NU's offense is certainly a change up in the West division, but I'm not sure we're going to win a bunch because we're unique or that Scott even thinks we're that unique (again some half or better of CFB runs a spread). We're going to win a lot of football games because unless you have real elite athletes who work well in space, its hard to stop the spread (its how it was designed and built). And he's going to put you in situations where you are mismatched a gross amount of time.

I think especially for Frost he wants to restore the Blackshirt D, but I still believe it will lag the offense.

What is probably our most proudest moment as Husker fans? Warren Sapp bent over gasping for air after taking on his 50th bar fight that evening.

Elite athletes get wore out. Frost can recruit Warren Sapp, but if Adrian starts running this O like we think he can, our next Sapp is going to be on the field quite a bit. It will impact the defensive statistics. I don't think its coinicidence that anyone involved with the NU program harps on the whole disruptive and turnover thing when they mention defense, that's one area where NU will have to be better to make the defense work. More TO's is more time off the field, more points for the offense which is more margin for the defense.

There might be some years where the D is just lights out, but I think generally the case will be its carried by the offense.

No one has addressed this when I bring it up so maybe you can. IF the O is producing at such a high clip them the opposing team is always playing catch up and this out of their comfort zone. That should force them to play from behind and do things they do not want to do. It actually should help the D, not hurt them. If our O scores in 3 minute drives and they score in 6 minute drives, nothing is gained. The D has to be good enough to get some stops! Ours was not last year. Get a couple stops combined with everyone's thoughts we will.score at will and you have a recipe for making the opposition one dimensional.

I also believe the opposing teams will catch up to the Frost and Day run O's that are very similar. Frost noted what kind of teams would beat the best Oregon had to offer.

No one has addressed this when I bring it up so maybe you can. IF the O is producing at such a high clip them the opposing team is always playing catch up and this out of their comfort zone. That should force them to play from behind and do things they do not want to do. It actually should help the D, not hurt them. If our O scores in 3 minute drives and they score in 6 minute drives, nothing is gained. The D has to be good enough to get some stops! Ours was not last year. Get a couple stops combined with everyone's thoughts we will.score at will and you have a recipe for making the opposition one dimensional.

I also believe the opposing teams will catch up to the Frost and Day run O's that are very similar. Frost noted what kind of teams would beat the best Oregon had to offer.

There are generally on the order of 0 teams that field a Two minute fast strike offense and a 3 and out level of defense. If one is good the other is on the field more. There are probably exceptions in certain years in certain dynasties, but as a general rule nobody puts a team on the field where the O and D are only exerting themselves for a couple of minutes at a time because they are so good. One unit or the other has to be on the field.

The other side of that "not doing what they want to do making it easier for the D", if you get too far ahead, the opponent will generally just waive a white flag and run out the clock to the best of their ability. And perhaps the team up 60 points will do the same. But then any stats are basically garbage time stats for the D and not indicative of a real opponents effort.

We should know, several of our coaches in the last 20 years have had to run the "just get this over with" clock offense.

I'm talking specifically about the Summer Tour Bus they do every year. They go view each team's practice and give their impressions based on live observations. It's hard for anyone to go to 7 straight (well 14 straight, but I don't pay attn to the East) campuses and screw that up. The commentary between Purdue and UW was pretty different, and tonight is Minnesota followed by you guys, Iowa and the 2 Illinois schools.

Agreed, but like I said there have been at least 3 years that they rave about NU and we are terrible and the same for other schools. I’m not knocking Wisky just don’t give a shit have BTN has to say because they are horrible at evaluation. At least that ex Illinois lb isn’t on the tour adding the stupidest commentary possible

Exactly get us up by a few scores against WI or Iowa and I like our odds

I think fans have to get over the not being blown out thing. Stoops got blown out with some regularity at OU and OU was recruit way better and playing way better ball over that stretch than us

By the same token Ferentz almost never gets blown out and even had a streak for a season or two where they never lost by more than seven. And Iowa hasnt won crap
Yeah I really don't care either. A loss is a loss. It doesn't really matter if it's by 7 points or 35 points. In today's game, blowouts are going to happen once in awhile.

Frost first season did not go as planned for sure. But down the stretch with close losses to Iowa and Ohio State coming in with such change in systems. IMO it was a pretty good indication that it won't be Peliniesuque. IMO those are the type of games Pelini would get boat raced in.
I'm not satisfied at all with those "close losses". Ohio State's defense was relatively weak and we were able to move the ball on them. Their offense also had a ton of drops by their receivers. We had a few blown coverages where we didn't have a guy within 15 yards of their receiver and they were able to capitalize on it. You can't have that if you want to win against a team like that.

For the Iowa game, we got physically dominated on the defensive side of the ball. That shouldn't be happening at the end of the year. The game really wasn't as close as the score suggested, Iowa had control of the game pretty much the entire time.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Frost will have success because his offense is similar to Tom's in that it does not require superior athletes. This offense is the option offense and it is the QB's responsibility to get ball to the open player.If properly executed it can strike fast and put up mega points. For Frost to have complete success he must put athletes on the defense. Until Osborne put great athletes on defense he had good but not great results.

It will be an interesting couple of years watching how this team will morph into the mad scientists idea of how to build a perfect team.
I would say that it does require superior athletes. What it does not require is the big body guys that are predominantly 5 stars. He can take smaller guys, as long as they are great athletes, do I suppose he can use more “diamonds in the rough.”

There are generally on the order of 0 teams that field a Two minute fast strike offense and a 3 and out level of defense. If one is good the other is on the field more. There are probably exceptions in certain years in certain dynasties, but as a general rule nobody puts a team on the field where the O and D are only exerting themselves for a couple of minutes at a time because they are so good. One unit or the other has to be on the field.

The other side of that "not doing what they want to do making it easier for the D", if you get too far ahead, the opponent will generally just waive a white flag and run out the clock to the best of their ability. And perhaps the team up 60 points will do the same. But then any stats are basically garbage time stats for the D and not indicative of a real opponents effort.

We should know, several of our coaches in the last 20 years have had to run the "just get this over with" clock offense.
Alabama and Clemson did it last year. I hope we get to the point where we're running our ball control offense with our backups and it still looks like we're trying to run up the score. That's pretty much what our offense was like in the 90's and regularly putting up 60+ points a game.

I think that's what we're talking about too. I don't pay that much attention to what they say about other teams, but they've been laughably wrong about us most of the time on those Summer Bus Tours. I remember how positive they were about us in 2015 and 2017(when we had losing records) and how comparatively negative they were in 2016(when we won 9 games). I remember Gerry DiNardo that year saying that just getting to a bowl game should be the goal for that team. I find those interesting just to see them report on us, but I don't really put much stock in their analysis.

Reactions: Iliketrees
The roster management is very different this time. They have brought in big classes and moved on from a lot of guys who didn't have a future in the program already in a year and a half.

Frost gets the number crunch. You're no longer going to see a team sprinkled with guys starting and backing up who couldn't get a scholarship to another blue blood school.

We won't see charts showing how our starting talent is dead even or worse than a conference doormat team after several years of his tenure. He has already shown that he will move those guys on and go after HS, JUCO, and grad transfers to upgrade the roster.

He is getting top-tier dual threat QBs in to run a unique offense. The breakdowns on the UCF offense are fascinating, it's a nightmare to defend. Now consider that was only year two for Milton.

The eye deception and wrinkles to that offense they can have by the time they're starting guys who have 3-5 years in the system are exciting.

The question is the defense. They get a huge DL talent upgrade this year and probably secondary as well. He needs to prove they can be an asset not a liability.

I disagree....Nebraska is the only only blue-blood in an 800 mile radius around Lincoln. That means there are about 40 million people to pick a 25 man roster every year if you just recruit Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Dakotas, Wyoming, Minnesota, Nebraska...the fact we couldn't pull the top recruits from these areas that are devoid of top programs, when Nebraska has by far the best facilities, success, support is an indictment on Bo's laziness in recruiting. The fact that he pulled so many kids from Ohio instead of just locking down Kansas...a state that happened to have a number of 5 stars is pathetic. Bo was fired because he couldn't hold on to his position coaches...he couldn't recruit at a high enough level, and he couldn't gameplan against decent teams. And then he flipped his shiite. Bobby Petrino got a new job after basically being the worst human ever, Mike Leach locked a kid in closet, and is now respected member of the coaching community. Bo pelini will never get a D1 job because he sucks as a coach. And Riley was even worse somehow. I fully expect us to be back in the top 10 for a long time because we don't have ANY regional competition...missouri screwed the pooch by going SEC, and Iowa, colorado missed their opportunity while we were weak and literally hired the worst possible candidates for 20 straight years. That window has now shut.

1. We have an administration and a chancellor who understands the athletics department matters and is actively working for the athletic department and not against it. Had not been that way for a long while.

2. We have an AD who isn't more concerned about their own legacy than they are about making their decisions based on the history of what has been successful at Nebraska historically.

3. We have an actual plan in place on and off the field and a fairly unified vision for what the program is, should and can be from the fans, the boosters, the players, the coaches and the administration as a whole. Over the past 20 years we were lucky when 2 or 3 of those lined up let alone 4 or 5.

Ok after everyone has consumed gallons of koolaide, what makes this coach different from the last four coaches who ended up getting fired?

For the record I think this time is different and here are my reasons

• Fan expectations are different at least in the short haul. This coach and this staff will get years to make this thing work, they can take time to build even if the results are not immediate. This continuity will pay huge dividends down the road
  • We went from TO being on the cutting edge with an offense we built an identity around to several coaches who tried to force us to do whatever everyone else did. There was nothing about NU that stood out. I think with Frost that has changed
  • Back to basics - how in the world did the last staff allow these players to get so weak. In the Big10 we have been simply out muscled and could not match the physical play. I thin starting this year we take a big step forward in this area
  • The west - finally a division that will benefit us and not hurt us. We can be better than these teams. We have more tradition, recruit better and if these players are developed it will show. I am not sold on the Wi coach many times he seems incoherent, there is not way he will out recruit Frost. Ferentz is in the twilight of his career. He has never demonstrated he can bring in the talent needed to win a conference title. He is a good coach but their ceiling is so much lower than ours. Minnesota, NW will never be a consistent power. If we do what we should the West should be ours most years.

Easy...Scott Frost...that’s the biggest difference. And Mike Riley should have never been hired. Those are the obvious ones.

Reactions: Sinomatic
On offense, consistency comes this year. We beat ourselves last year by penalty, missed assignments and learning the system,with highest impact at qb,and a true frosh who hadnt played but a short period in over a year.
With consistency comes the opposition trying to match us, all the while their defense gets worn down,and our offense has more aggressive opportunities,and slightly more time between possessions.
This year, we will see a better picture of who SF and staff is, and its effects against our competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT