ADVERTISEMENT

Score prediction: Huskers vs Ducks

We have to win this game and then have to look good against OSU this year. If for nothing else but to improve our recruiting...We're favored. We're playing at home. We have a senior quarterback. We have an experienced staff. We should win and we should be undefeated going into Madison...

NU: 38 OU: 31

Oregon 45
Nebby 31

TA throws 3 picks to put our d in some bad spots. Can't tackle is space leads to big plays. Nebby has no running game whatsoever until Oregon starts to sub. Nebby ends with -4 punt return yards.

That same feeling early in the season of wtf is wrong with the Nebraska program and can we ever get back to competing with top level teams. But.... Somehow we beat Ohio state later this year.

For all those that are "glass half empty" and predicting a NU loss, if any of you have tickets to the game, why not sit at home and watch? You'll be on your feet cheering the entire game, regardless of a missed opportunity or what it shows on the scoreboard throughout the entire game, right? If not, I'm certain there are folks out here who would love to take your place.

For all those that are "glass half empty" and predicting a NU loss, if any of you have tickets to the game, why not sit at home and watch? You'll be on your feet cheering the entire game, regardless of a missed opportunity or what it shows on the scoreboard throughout the entire game, right? If not, I'm certain there are folks out here who would love to take your place.
dude

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

it is simply amazing to me how some people apparently don't have the cognitive wherewithal to comprehend that what one thinks might happen isn't necessarily the same as what one wants to happen

61978902_.jpg

Or maybe you can pay the donation and the cost of the tickets each year, and you can decide whether you want to cheer or remain quiet. But I doubt very much that any season ticket holders care about what your thoughts are.

What a stupid F'n post. That is all.

I must be watching different games than others when we talk about open receivers. I've been pleasantly surprised by the coverage so far this year. Of course, receivers get open from time to time. They do for Nebraska too. But for the most part, I've seen contested plays and very few (if any) long plays that absolutely decimated the team last year.

Will Oregon catch and run? 100% yes.

However, Nebraska will be successful if they keep them in front of the defense and make Oregon use 10+ plays to score. Oregon is built on the big play and taking advantage of mistakes by the D.

We're #66 in passing , so even though we've improved over last year, we still allow too many receivers to get open throughout the course of the game.

You have my word, that the very next time I decide to give a shit about what you think about something, I'll keep this in mind.

Reactions: jteten and jlb321

I say let them sit amongst the Sea of Red. Maybe a little dose of loyalty will do them good.

it is simply amazing to me how some people apparently don't have the cognitive wherewithal to comprehend that what one thinks might happen isn't necessarily the same as what one wants to happen

61978902_.jpg
Agreed, and neither has any direct impact on the outcome of the game, direction of the season, or one's relative "fan-ness".
I say let them sit amongst the Sea of Red. Maybe a little dose of loyalty will do them good.
Loyalty is going to the game, cheering and supporting your team regardless of whether you think they will win or lose, e.g., the Cubs fans are finally being paid off after years of loyalty to a team that continually disappointed them.

Oh, and I haven't seen the ducks play this year yet, but I'm hoping with a young QB we might be able to force him into a few mistakes and squeek out a win. 35-31

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Nebraska's defense is ranked 33 in total defense. Nebraska's offense is ranked 39 in total offense. Nebraska's offense is averaging 478 yards per game, which is good, but a healthy 100 yards behind Oregon's 578 yards per game. Louisville is leading the country averaging 754 yards per game!

In comparison, Oregon's defense is ranked 82nd. Their offense is ranked 8th.

Using VERY simple math, the average of the two (offense and defense) rankings, Nebraska is 36, while Oregon is 45. Granted, this is two games into the season and very much dependent on who the teams have played, but I'd take a blended average of offense and defense advantage here.

I don't care much for passing defense vs. rushing defense as I think if a team is really good at shutting down the run, it is logical that the pass defense will be ranked lower due to forcing teams to pass more.

I'd love to see both the offense and defense in the top 25 at some point this season. Top 25 certainly doesn't equal playoff consideration (that is where you likely need at least one of your units in the top 10), but it sure would be a nice lift from a year ago, where Nebraska's defense was 64th and its offense was 34th - a blended average of 50.

Laughing

Yup, and if you don't think Nebraska can line up against both the Denver Bronco's and Carolina Panthers simultaneously and win, then you're not a real fan!!! :rolleyes:

Supporting a team has nothing to do with being honest about that team. If Nebraska sucks, they suck. If Nebraska is amazing they're amazing. Neither of those things are changing my love for Nebraska football. I take the good with the bad and will always support and cheer for the Huskers, but that has nothing to do with calling a spade a spade. Right now, Nebraska makes a lot of mistakes and has struggled for 3 quarters in both their games, against two bad teams. Do I think they'll beat Oregon? I'm 60/40 leaning on no. That however, doesn't change the fact I'll be hoping, cheering, clapping and yelling for them to win.

Take you're twisted views of kool-aid chugging fan superiority and shove it.

Special teams scares me. I see shorter field for OU. Therefore: OU 40, NU 30.

@usejsch, even though I am predicting a loss, there is a good chance we will win, and I will be cheering like heck for the team. How 'bout them apples?

Oregon 46
NU 27

Opponents WR's have been wide freakin open against us. Oregon has the skill position talent to make this defense pay. I would predict a closer score, but I think Langs and TA will press a little too hard trying to keep pace which will lead to costly turnovers.

Oregon 46
NU 27

Opponents WR's have been wide freakin open against us. Oregon has the skill position talent to make this defense pay. I would predict a closer score, but I think Langs and TA will press a little too hard trying to keep pace which will lead to costly turnovers.

I have watched both games multiple times and do not agree with this.

Reactions: arf_man
In my years of betting 90% or more times when an unranked team is favored over a ranked team, the unranked team will win and cover the spread.
Nebraskai alsl
In my years of betting 90% or more times when an unranked team is favored over a ranked team, the unranked team will win and cover the spread.
I also have spent some years studying Vegas lines and agree that unranked teams favored against ranked teams do fare pretty well for the most part but 90% seems like a bit of a stretch. I can't remember the Nebraska Iowa spread last year if Nebraska was a slight favorite or if it was near pick, but that was a case where your scenario didn't pay off.

I'd say it's closer to maybe 60% but your point is correct.

Nebraskai alsl

I also have spent some years studying Vegas lines and agree that unranked teams favored against ranked teams do fare pretty well for the most part but 90% seems like a bit of a stretch. I can't remember the Nebraska Iowa spread last year if Nebraska was a slight favorite or if it was near pick, but that was a case where your scenario didn't pay off.

I'd say it's closer to maybe 60% but your point is correct.

2007-2014 -- the unranked home team was 430-371 ATS when facing teams ranked in the 15-25 range --- 54% -- that is just to cover - not win or lose (I suspect it is less than 54% to win outright but I don't have that data)

best bet is early in the season -- so this would favor taking Nebraska to cover - although 54% is a crap shoot

Without Lamar Jackson...we will have our 5 most experienced DBs on the field.....which I think will help out with communication.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlb321
Without Lamar Jackaon...we will have our 5 most experienced DBs on the field.....which I think will help out with communication.

I haven't really looked at Oregon this year but is has been my impression in the past that their passing game is largely based on

1) getting the ball to their athletes in space utilizing quick short yardage throws - bubble screens etc
2) rapid pace + play action resulting in WRs being wide open based on poor reads and defensive confusion

stopping their passing game relies more on tackling their athletes in space and avoiding confusion with busted coverages rather than pure coverage skills

interested to hear from those that have followed them more closely as I admit the above assumptions may not be reflective of reality

With Tommy at the helm....we have a QB that has won at Michigan, beat a ranked Georgia team, Miami at home, a ranked MSU team and UCLA in a bowl game.

Don't fear if we can win with Tommy. These are the type of games we have won lately and he played the big role in all of them.

Prove me right TA.

With Tommy at the helm....we have a QB that has won at Michigan, beat a ranked Georgia team, Miami at home, a ranked MSU team and UCLA in a bowl game.

Don't fear if we can win with Tommy. These are the type of games we have won lately and he played the big role in all of them.

Prove me right TA.

+1 .... I'm counting on TA outplaying a Montana State transfer playing in front of 90K hostile fans for the 1st time

be loud !!!

Prove me right TA.
I agree with you. Tommy can be a liability at times, but he can definitely win the big games. Much more concerned about how our D shows up. If they make Oregon earn their scores, Nebraska comes away with a win.

Oregon 42, Nebraska 28, but that's if our linebackers decide to actually play the game instead of doing anything but stopping the run. Yes, our receivers are stellar.

Reactions: jeans15
2007-2014 -- the unranked home team was 430-371 ATS when facing teams ranked in the 15-25 range --- 54% -- that is just to cover - not win or lose (I suspect it is less than 54% to win outright but I don't have that data)

best bet is early in the season -- so this would favor taking Nebraska to cover - although 54% is a crap shoot

The original post was unranked teams vs ranked teams where the unranked team was favored to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT