ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd add one more note to this, jflores. Riley has consistently shown that he will help guys find landing spots to compete for PT if they are not working out. Over the last seven years we never cut guys loose when it wasn't working out, and in my opinion, it was hurting our ability to build a complete roster. I don't mind allowing our staff to take a chance here and there if I know that in the event the recruit doesn't work out they can find another home. We can't have 10-15 guys on scholarship that are just going through the motions.

The amount of processing that's been done in one calendar year is remarkable. And there is still more to come.

For all the snide comments about a "nice guy" persona, Riley is playing much more hardball than Pelini ever was, despite a gruff exterior.

Stanton is not doing his best Jay Guy impression right now.

Ferguson, who followed Riley to Nebraska, as also probably a lock to OSU before he left. I don't think he was the most highly rated player around, but I believe he was the Louisiana defensive POY in a state with very good talent. That's not small potatoes

You are correct...another Mike Riley commit at Oregon State. 3 star...and would surely bump up Riley's Oregon State numbers compared to Andersens. So, I guess congrats to Andersen for "improving" Oregon State's recruiting class by failing to lock up Mike Riley's commits. RollingLaugh

As I said...it's not your numbers...it's how you are presenting it. Not surprising that you aren't getting it. To show the true numbers you would need to include the actual commits at the time before Riley left for Nebraska...which you didn't, as it does not fit your agenda and makes you wrong. Why in the world should Andersen get credit for losing recruits like Snyder and Talan and Riley get knocked for locking up prospects like the Davis twins and Stanley Morgan?

I know exactly what you're getting at. And you can put together your own info and post on here for people to look at. I don't know who from Pelini's class was saved because we hired Mike Riley, and who wasn't going to leave no matter what. I see Jacob Eason is still sticking with Georgia. Bobo gone earlier this year, now Richt, but Eason is still sticking with UGA. Did coaches try to pull players away from NU after Pelini's firing, I would guess so. I would also guess coaches tried to pull players from OrSU after the Riley announcement. I presented info as how it played out. You can present your information with just the guys you want to count, where you want to count them. That's up to you.

Bo Pelini was considered by most(?) to be a terrible recruiter. And no I'm not a Pelini supporter. I just figured we'd be in a better spot than we are in right now. Riley's recruiting is better ranking wise at NU than it was at OrSU. But is his recruiting as good as what any person thought it would be. Not better than the guy who didn't want to recruit anyone further away than a casual Sunday afternoon drive.

I still think we'll land around a 30ish ranked class, maybe low 20's if things play out in our favor. Which is about what I'd expect from a Pelini class.

"But is his recruiting as good as what any person thought it would be. Not better than the guy who didn't want to recruit anyone further away than a casual Sunday afternoon drive."

I don't know how this could be said. At one point, it seemed like our whole starting offense was from California.

Pelini didn't have a heck of a lot of year round effort, but he seemed to get away from Lincoln high school for players too. If you don't remember, he got a lot of flack for letting others raid the state for guys he considered "blingier" on the bio page.

I like the other fact that it's Dec. 14th. I can 100% tell you that fact was a major problem under the last coach so in fairness, it should be a problem under the current coach too (put another way, if Bo needed to fill 8-10 scholly's still and we're less than 2 months from signing day, it was a MAJOR issue). Ahem, we're 8-10 scholly's short and less than 2 months from signing day....

GBR

But...Bowel Pelini would end up throwing a handful of 2 stars on the pile, put a ribbon on it, and sit in front of the microphone on signing day and introduce his newest class of 17.

I know exactly what you're getting at. And you can put together your own info and post on here for people to look at. I don't know who from Pelini's class was saved because we hired Mike Riley, and who wasn't going to leave no matter what. I see Jacob Eason is still sticking with Georgia. Bobo gone earlier this year, now Richt, but Eason is still sticking with UGA. Did coaches try to pull players away from NU after Pelini's firing, I would guess so. I would also guess coaches tried to pull players from OrSU after the Riley announcement. I presented info as how it played out. You can present your information with just the guys you want to count, where you want to count them. That's up to you.

Bo Pelini was considered by most(?) to be a terrible recruiter. And no I'm not a Pelini supporter. I just figured we'd be in a better spot than we are in right now. Riley's recruiting is better ranking wise at NU than it was at OrSU. But is his recruiting as good as what any person thought it would be. Not better than the guy who didn't want to recruit anyone further away than a casual Sunday afternoon drive.

I still think we'll land around a 30ish ranked class, maybe low 20's if things play out in our favor. Which is about what I'd expect from a Pelini class.

Good grief. Just move on, you look ridiculous. He proved your numbers were wrong.

Hmmm.... ^^^^^ New to recruiting ^^^^^
Yes...this talk of recruiting in the 40's is really silly. I am sure Mike Riley could throw out offers today and tomorrow have a full class that comes in about #30. However, we are waiting on a few high profile guys hoping to fill out our class in the best possible way. Patience grasshoppers.

Reactions: HuskerDana
the biggest thing about Pelini was how many players left the program before ever contributing or even after.Or played baseball. Lots of them his 4 starts. Look back at the classes see fore yourself. So if Riley gets better fits even with the same rankings but they want to be N and they stick around I think we get better and then the higher ranking recruits start paying more attention.imo

Yes...this talk of recruiting in the 40's is really silly. I am sure Mike Riley could throw out offers today and tomorrow have a full class that comes in about #30. However, we are waiting on a few high profile guys hoping to fill out our class in the best possible way. Patience grasshoppers.
I like what they are doing and not panicking and just filling the class. That shows me they are reaching higher in the recruiting pool and have confidence that they can sell kids and win the competitions for the best recruits.

Even if it does not pan out and they end up just having to fill the class - I like this move by the coaches

Wow. #30. I can hardly contain my excitement for the future and really look forward to more sub-par recruiting classes because Mike Riley & Co. are so well organized and really have their stuff together when it comes to recruiting just look at Oregon State during Riley's tenure and now post-Riley roflcopter
I said he could be #30 by offering a bunch of nobodies just to fill the class. We could go ten spots higher by trying to pull in some of the bigger names we have a beat on. I'm not saying #20 is "all that" but it's more realistic than saying #43.

I'm not saying #20 is "all that" but it's more realistic than saying #43.

Is it? I would love to see Riley, for once, defy his historical performance in all categories. He delivered in the W-L category and baffling coaching decisions that he has shown throughout his entire career. It would be nice to see him improve in at least ONE category.

Is it? I would love to see Riley, for once, defy his historical performance in all categories. He delivered in the W-L category and baffling coaching decisions that he has shown throughout his entire career. It would be nice to see him improve in at least ONE category.
I really respect, but don't evny, the mods... You already posted as GoBigRed71, got canned under that name, and now have come up with the very original GoBigRed72...

Now I'm not a betting man, but if I were, my guess is you'll be back soon as GoBigRed73...

You really make it easy for the mods...

I really respect, but don't evny, the mods... You already posted as GoBigRed71, got canned under that name, and now have come up with the very original GoBigRed72...

Now I'm not a betting man, but if I were, my guess is you'll be back soon as GoBigRed73...

You really make it easy for the mods...
We do what we can. Thanks.

Reactions: timnsun
The amount of processing that's been done in one calendar year is remarkable. And there is still more to come.

For all the snide comments about a "nice guy" persona, Riley is playing much more hardball than Pelini ever was, despite a gruff exterior.

Stanton is not doing his best Jay Guy impression right now.

Just wait. There's going to be many more soon.

I think we about 27th on Rivals list by average stars, which seems like a more reasonable way to look at things two months out since some classes are full but many of the big boys are far from full. If that's about where we end up, I wouldn't be disappointed. Most importantly, we have an outstanding qb recruit and that has not been the case for at least a decade.

I think we about 27th on Rivals list by average stars, which seems like a more reasonable way to look at things two months out since some classes are full but many of the big boys are far from full. If that's about where we end up, I wouldn't be disappointed. Most importantly, we have an outstanding qb recruit and that has not been the case for at least a decade.
How could you not be disappointed at #27? If you would have told us one year that we just hired Mike Riley and he was going to lead us to the #27 team recruiting ranking everyone would have been disappointed. Now we have lowered expectations and a revisionist narrative.

P.S. I am hopeful for more than that and think we need to be patient while this plays out. At that ranking we still should win the West in a lot of years but I doubt it will make us ready for national championships.

How could you not be disappointed at #27? If you would have told us one year that we just hired Mike Riley and he was going to lead us to the #27 team recruiting ranking everyone would have been disappointed. Now we have lowered expectations and a revisionist narrative.

P.S. I am hopeful for more than that and think we need to be patient while this plays out. At that ranking we still should win the West in a lot of years but I doubt it will make us ready for national championships.
Is it OK to ask for baby steps? If we win the west in the next year or two, does that automatically begin to generate more excitement for the program? Intern, will that give recruiting a spike? I think this is how we will return to prominence… It's not going to happen overnight.

For the record, Tulsa, I agree with you in this post. I'm not challenging you on this.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Is it OK to ask for baby steps? If we win the west in the next year or two, does that automatically begin to generate more excitement for the program? Intern, will that give recruiting a spike? I think this is how we will return to prominence… It's not going to happen overnight.

For the record, Tulsa, I agree with you in this post. I'm not challenging you on this.
I would be very disappointed if we do not dominate the west with the current format of teams. If we cannot do that we dont really have much chance if going higher

I guess the slow steady approach can work but it just does not normally happen that way. If coaching has improved it normally shows up on the field pretty fast

I would be very disappointed if we do not dominate the west with the current format of teams. If we cannot do that we dont really have much chance if going higher

I guess the slow steady approach can work but it just does not normally happen that way. If coaching has improved it normally shows up on the field pretty fast
If we can take care of business in the west, recruits will be excited about the possibility of playing in a conference championship game. At a minimum, we need to take the west back. Once that happens, recruiting will pick up even more in my opinion.

Revisionist narrative? How about realistic narrative? If we can recruit in the top 30 every year and get players to fit our system, we should have adequate talent to accomplish any goals. O'Brien appears to be intelligent, mature and a good fit for Riley's system. We haven't had a qb check those three boxes since Crouch. He alone should make this a memorable recruiting year.

If you would have told us one year that we just hired Mike Riley and he was going to lead us to the #27 team recruiting ranking everyone would have been disappointed.

I told this very board back in late December, early January, that a top 25 class for 2016 is what most should expect. 2017 class should increase to top 20, bordering on top 15 pending how many scholarships are available.

But go ahead, do what you do best, trollsa gonna trollsa.

I told this very board back in late December, early January, that a top 25 class for 2016 is what most should expect. 2017 class should increase to top 20, bordering on top 15 pending how many scholarships are available.

We need to be pulling in Top 15 classes ASAP. If NU ever feels like getting back into title pictures routinely, this has to happen. I know we should give this class a little breathing room, because its Riley's first full class, but a couple of things that keep popping into my head, A. Callahan (although many were bust) was able to do it in his first full class), B. 408 pulled in classes around 25-30 yearly with next to no effort and a yearly summer vacation. C. Riley ain't getting any younger, and as much as he says he will stick around awhile, I don't feel we can slow play this. D. Last winter Riley pulled in a couple of commits completely off the radar who were pretty well ranked, which has me feeling at very least like he should be able to do again.

I'm willing to hold judgment until the class signs, because anything can happen between now and then, but if we finish with a top 25 class (closer to 25 than 15), I can't help but say I'd be mildly (notice I didn't say extremely) disappointed. I really don't care how it gets done, we just need to get in the #15 range soon.

Reactions: RedSea

Maybe "Top 25" is a benchmark level that 26th or 27th would lead to some (not necessarily major) disappointment in a pass or fail sort of way. I don't know what other people are thinking, but I've been guessing a 30ish (29, 30, 31 ballpark) or so class for awhile and I wasn't going to get my panties in a wad over 30ish or better.

Now it's top 25? A first year coach who you hope makes a splash is top 25? Hiring a sixty something year old guy to finish around #25 and probably fifth in the conference in recruiting seems like a silly hire.

This class will be 15-25 on all the services...don't get worked up about one guy.

Hope you're right. This 15-25 talk began a couple weeks ago, and it was based upon projections of several quality players that were leaning our way. We've lost momentum and some of those players have committed elsewhere since then. I think the low end of that range is probably off the table now as a result. And the top end will be too if we don't start landing some on our A-list.

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes, again

Reactions: nu2u
Get out the magic wands and convince every 5 star to come to Nebraska to play football, If MR and staff don't get that done, then I say fire them all. After all we should expect a team to have a much higher rated recruiting class than our national ranking in the polls shouldn't we?

Place sarcasm emoticon here.

Reactions: timnsun
Now it's top 25? A first year coach who you hope makes a splash is top 25? Hiring a sixty something year old guy to finish around #25 and probably fifth in the conference in recruiting seems like a silly hire.

Now? It's been like that since I first commented after his hire. This isn't made up shit, like you try and pull all the time. Bookmark this page so I don't have to repeat it again down the road. Nowhere did I say the first class has to be anything else, I've been consistent, top 25 for 2016 and top 20 or better for 2017.

I hope to make a splash? I don't hope anything, either he gets the job done or he doesn't. Go ahead, keep on making shit up, I'll continue correcting you, just like old times.

Its now or never boys - that's the cold hard truth. Riley is approaching mid 60s. He does not have a year or two leeway; time is not on his side. Pretty soon (class of 2017- ?), its going to be increasingly difficult to sell longevity to potential recruits projecting their college careers ahead 5-6 years.

I said he could be #30 by offering a bunch of nobodies just to fill the class. We could go ten spots higher by trying to pull in some of the bigger names we have a beat on. I'm not saying #20 is "all that" but it's more realistic than saying #43.
Explain how we will get to 20.

Now? It's been like that since I first commented after his hire. This isn't made up shit, like you try and pull all the time. Bookmark this page so I don't have to repeat it again down the road. Nowhere did I say the first class has to be anything else, I've been consistent, top 25 for 2016 and top 20 or better for 2017.

I hope to make a splash? I don't hope anything, either he gets the job done or he doesn't. Go ahead, keep on making shit up, I'll continue correcting you, just like old times.
Wasnt your guess 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT