ADVERTISEMENT

QB that Nebraska made a mistake on?

huskerfan66

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 8, 2004
Iowa State QB Brock Purdy. Riley wouldn't look at him. Really wanted an NU offer. Iowa State was an early offer and he chose them even after Alabama came calling late.
He had a UCF offer. Kind of surprised we didn't try since Frost offered him while at UCF.
Would have looked good now in hindsight with the transfer.
Totally understand with having Martinez, Vedral coming and a couple more on the shelf that one would think you have enough QBs, but still just a little surprised that since they did offer him at UCF, and he really wanted an NU offer, that we didn't take a chance on him.
I think he was the Arizona player of the year 2017.

Frost didn’t offer Purdy at UCF. That was a late offer by Heupel. He visited UCF, Iowa State, & Bama in those last few weeks before signing day

I think in retrospect, the QB situation could have been handled better. I know Tanner Lee declared for the draft and then both O'Brien and Gebbia transferred, but you can't have just one scholarship QB. It just can't happen.

Initially, I thought Frost did Gebbia a solid by announcing a starter ahead of Game 1, but now I think the best play is to let the competition drag out past the four games so that you're able to lock him in for the year. I think it's a crappy way to treat players, but that's pretty much how everyone else does it now.

Reactions: arf_man
Iowa State QB Brock Purdy. Riley wouldn't look at him. Really wanted an NU offer. Iowa State was an early offer and he chose them even after Alabama came calling late.
He had a UCF offer. Kind of surprised we didn't try since Frost offered him while at UCF.
Totally understand with having Martinez, Vedral coming and a couple more on the shelf that one would think you have enough QBs, but still just a little surprised that since they did offer him at UCF, and he really wanted an NU offer, that we didn't take a chance on him.

Nebraska literally has the top Freshman QB in the country. They didn't miss on shit.

Frost didn’t offer Purdy at UCF. That was a late offer by Heupel. He visited UCF, Iowa State, & Bama in those last few weeks before signing day
You are correct. My bad. I just remembered that. The only p5 offer and div 1 offer for that matter was iowa State. Then the rest came in late. Thanks for correcting me
Sorry for the faulty i

I think in retrospect, the QB situation could have been handled better. I know Tanner Lee declared for the draft and then both O'Brien and Gebbia transferred, but you can't have just one scholarship QB. It just can't happen.

Initially, I thought Frost did Gebbia a solid by announcing a starter ahead of Game 1, but now I think the best play is to let the competition drag out past the four games so that you're able to lock him in for the year. I think it's a crappy way to treat players, but that's pretty much how everyone else does it now.

I think the "right way" to do things is to name a #1 if you have one. And we do.

I think that SF tries to do things the right way for his players and program (would have been a hell of a lot easier on both himself and his staff to let someone else handle the bowl game last season). Might the recruiting class have been a little better had they dedicated themselves full time to recruiting here? Maybe. Would it have been the "right thing" to do? Nope.

I think the "right way" to do things is to name a #1 if you have one. And we do.

I think that SF tries to do things the right way for his players and program (would have been a hell of a lot easier on both himself and his staff to let someone else handle the bowl game last season). Might the recruiting class have been a little better had they dedicated themselves full time to recruiting here? Maybe. Would it have been the "right thing" to do? Nope.

Cuts both ways then. If the QB in training has his sights set only on the starting position, and not the success of the team or University, and will leave if he doesn't get it,... he needs to make that BS clear as daylight in a magnifying glass as well.

No one should be guaranteed a spot at any time.

Cuts both ways then. If the QB in training has his sights set only on the starting position, and not the success of the team or University, and will leave if he doesn't get it,... he needs to make that BS clear as daylight in a magnifying glass as well.

No one should be guaranteed a spot at any time.
I think a coaching staff would always be aware of that and figure it out.
I doubt Gebbia transferring was a surprise and both Frost and Gebbia did the right thing.

If the QB in training has his sights set only on the starting position, and not the success of the team or University, and will leave if he doesn't get it,... he needs to make that BS clear as daylight

I think he did.

To be fair, Gebbia was recruited here by a different coach to run a different system.

His skill set made him the #2 best QB in our scheme.

I think he landed in a system where he has the skill set to be the #1.

I doubt Gebbia transferring was a surprise and both Frost and Gebbia did the right thing.

few big time talents at QB are going to stay around and wait their turn until they are upper classmen anymore. You probably need 2-3 years of separation between your high level QBs.

the future QB depth chart will probably be - highly talented starter - serviceable backup who knows his place (Vedral is ideal) - #3 Freshman or redshirt freshman future starter - who may not be quite ready but is the future

At Nebraska, a 2019 QB recruit probably isn't the starter until he is a redshirt Junior or RS soph if Martinez is able to leave early - excluding injury scenarios.

Will be interested to see how the QB situation plays out at Michigan - Patterson is a junior which means McCaffrey will be a RS junior before he gets his chance - meanwhile they have a super talented true freshman - Joe Milton there as well

See Alabama. I watched their first game and 30 seconds before kickoff Saben would not name his starting QB

Nebraska literally has the top Freshman QB in the country. They didn't miss on shit.
Well to be fair, it would have been nice to have a very talented backup on scholarship after Gebbia left but who could have predicted that. Hindsight is always 20/20. We could have taken 2 QBs.

See Alabama. I watched their first game and 30 seconds before kickoff Saben would not name his starting QB
What is Alabama doing right now? I haven’t been able to watch at all and barely keep up with any college football news other than scores… Does he still have both QBs playing in the games?

I guarantee you our coaching staff didn't see it coming until maybe the week that he decided to leave. I think it was the same for the two in season transfers as well. If the coaching staff thought they would have transferred, he wouldn't have played them at all and wouldn't have given them that many reps in practice.

What is Alabama doing right now? I haven’t been able to watch at all and barely keep up with any college football news other than scores… Does he still have both QBs playing in the games?
Yes, with as much as Alabama has been blowing out teams lately, Hurts gets almost a full half to play every game. It was a great decision for him to stay.

Reactions: timnsun
Yes, with as much as Alabama has been blowing out teams lately, Hurts gets almost a full half to play every game. It was a great decision for him to stay.
Thanks. It’s a good point with all of the blowouts, both would see lots of playing time.

I am glad that Gebbia transferred when he did. Not that I wanted him to. As the season has gone on, we can see that he would not have played in any game except one. He was going to leave regardless. Gives meaningful reps to the other guys. I wish the best for Gebbia and his career.

We're ok.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT