ADVERTISEMENT

Our secondary

Baxter48

Defensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
Can someone explain to me why chin and fisher continue to run a zone defense? Except for Ohio st I figured our secondary was talented enough to play the opponents receivers man to man. hell playing a zone the teams nickel and dime us to death which in turn wears out the defense

Glad you brought that up. In addition to that Chin needs to teach his defense how to get off blocks, get in position to tackle, then how to properly tackle using basic head up, drive the shoulder and wrap with arms instead of diving at the ankles (while the ball carrier is in front of the defender) or the old grab them at the waist and spin them forward until they fall. Cornerbacks shouldn’t allow the receivers a free run off the line and turn your head at some point to find the ball. Safeties never let anyone behind you. Yes this is basic defense however Chin has seemed to have forgotten the basics, just sayin….

I believe zone coverage allows for better run support from the secondary

we had a patch work d line and our linebackers just aren’t very good at this point

also, against teams that struggle offensively you want to prioritize not giving up easy scores that can happen more readily playing man to man

honestly I think Iowa did us a huge favor in the first half by passing so much when they were having so much success in the run game

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT