ADVERTISEMENT

Fumbles

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I predict that Nebraska will not turn it over via fumble this week against MSU. We had five fumbles against Purdue, losing four. But three of those fumbles came from the QB and two on special teams. Other than Grant's almost fumble the running backs held on to the football. I hope the coaches have learned from this game that you cannot run your QB's as much as we do and not expect them to cough it up. My gut says we will run with the running backs more this week. I think Haarberg's second fumble is on the coaches. They should never have called a QB option run one play after Haarberg had been lit up on a powerful sack. Haarberg already takes enough punishment from getting sacked in the passing game for us to add to his load by running him 10 times a game. We need him to stay healthy for this four game stretch to end our season. We have a very real chance of going 9-3 and going to Indy. But not if Haarberg is on the bench injured and not if we run him so much that he is beat up and starts turning it over. This is the best defense we have had since 2009. No need to press the issue on offense by constantly running our QB. Play smart offense, Conservative offense. And then take your shots downfield with our talented young receivers. We can run a few options here and there in order to set up play action passes. But please can we stop running Haarberg all over the field on every drive??

Per usual, you're right on point pennsy. This was the hardest hitting game ( and I do mean helmet to helmet ) I've seen since Pittsburgh v. Baltimore 2010. The officiating was irresponsible in this regard. Both programs are very lucky there was not a more serious head injury than Omar Brown's concussion.

I hope your prediction comes through but I just don't see that happening at this point

All of our remaining opponent's defenses will be made aware of our fumbling tendencies I would imagine, and they will all be punching at the ball.

I think HH has to remain a running threat on almost every play. He's a main cog in our ground game.

We are what we are. Is it Saturday yet?! 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
There was a replay earlier in the game from behind the play showing Haarberg nearly fumbled another one. It was sliding out, and he was lucky to hang on.

While I do think fumbling issues are certainly on the players, at some point, their coach has not drilled into their brain enough that protecting the ball matters.

I predict that Nebraska will not turn it over via fumble this week against MSU. We had five fumbles against Purdue, losing four. But three of those fumbles came from the QB and two on special teams. Other than Grant's almost fumble the running backs held on to the football. I hope the coaches have learned from this game that you cannot run your QB's as much as we do and not expect them to cough it up. My gut says we will run with the running backs more this week. I think Haarberg's second fumble is on the coaches. They should never have called a QB option run one play after Haarberg had been lit up on a powerful sack. Haarberg already takes enough punishment from getting sacked in the passing game for us to add to his load by running him 10 times a game. We need him to stay healthy for this four game stretch to end our season. We have a very real chance of going 9-3 and going to Indy. But not if Haarberg is on the bench injured and not if we run him so much that he is beat up and starts turning it over. This is the best defense we have had since 2009. No need to press the issue on offense by constantly running our QB. Play smart offense, Conservative offense. And then take your shots downfield with our talented young receivers. We can run a few options here and there in order to set up play action passes. But please can we stop running Haarberg all over the field on every drive??
Ok, pennsy, I have asked this question and never get an answer.

Did the coaches actually call that play for HH to keep the ball or did he?

I am going to assume HH has at least two plays sent in to him. He comes to the line and makes a call based on what he sees. He is also making adjustment calls for blocking and WR routes. The line is making calls as well for blocking and picking up blitzes. Then throw in that it might be a zone read and he makes a read, right or wrong.

The coaches aren't stupid, they could see Purdue was spying on him. They literally took him out of the game and said beat another way.

Waaaay too much has been made of the play calling and QB keeping without knowing what was really going on.

There us no doubt HH cannot keep this up. That shot under his chin is the perfect example, his eyes were not in the right place and he takes way too many big shots. Tough kid but he has limits.

Ok, pennsy, I have asked this question and never get an answer.

Did the coaches actually call that play for HH to keep the ball or did he?

I am going to assume HH has at least two plays sent in to him. He comes to the line and makes a call based on what he sees. He is also making adjustment calls for blocking and WR routes. The line is making calls as well for blocking and picking up blitzes. Then throw in that it might be a zone read and he makes a read, right or wrong.

The coaches aren't stupid, they could see Purdue was spying on him. They literally took him out of the game and said beat another way.

Waaaay too much has been made of the play calling and QB keeping without knowing what was really going on.

There us no doubt HH cannot keep this up. That shot under his chin is the perfect example, his eyes were not in the right place and he takes way too many big shots. Tough kid but he has limits.
I really miss the hour long big red wrap ups TV show where a lot of the play calls were explained by our coaches

I wonder if the B1G network limits that now

Would still like to see more jet sweeps and screens. I felt Satt called a better game Saturday attacking the perimeter at times. Lloyd and Coleman have silly speed. Fleeks is no slouch either. Use the speed!

Reactions: BleedRed78
He made some bad reads though too. Not on the level of Sims in his one godawful series, but still there were some plays where he should have handed it off and didn't. Their DEs seemed to key in on him knowing he would hold onto more often than not.

You're smart enough to know Purdue kicked to that area on purpose right?
What difference does that make? Snodgrass should not be in a position to return a kick even if the other team intentionally kicks it short. If they do let him on the field for kickoff returns, they should make sure he calls for a fair catch. He proved that has no business returning a kickoff. You're smart enough to know that aren't you?

Last edited:
He made some bad reads though too. Not on the level of Sims in his one godawful series, but still there were some plays where he should have handed it off and didn't. Their DEs seemed to key in on him knowing he would hold onto more often than not.
There was a mix up apparently on the way the play came in from the sideline. A timeout there might have been worthwhile to make sure we had our ducks in a row. Rhule didn’t apologize for going for it on 4th down but owned the mix up on the play call. Heinrich had a similar fumble earlier where he had a big dude latched on to the ball so…,, Our rep as fumblers has become a self fulfilling narrative emboldening defenders.

I don’t care if he is the QB, RB or WR. If you carry the ball and have 2 hands, don’t fumble. It’s pretty simple and part of the job description.

Can’t do the job, move on.

I don’t care if he is the QB, RB or WR. If you carry the ball and have 2 hands, don’t fumble. It’s pretty simple and part of the job description.

Can’t do the job, move on.
I can be somewhat understanding of it happening when the defender puts his hat right on the ball. That's stuff happens and it usually a great play by tackler.

I don't understand how a ball carrier just let's the defender rip the ball out of his arms. That's just not acceptable.

I can be somewhat understanding of it happening when the defender puts his hat right on the ball. That's stuff happens and it usually a great play by tackler.

I don't understand how a ball carrier just let's the defender rip the ball out of his arms. That's just not acceptable.
Haarberg had a guy ripping at the ball who was easily holding Haarberg’s 220 pounds up off the turf. Sometimes the guy is just stronger than you.

While true, it happened to him twice.
One of the reasons Callahan was big on hand size at virtually all positions is this. Defenders with big meat hooks create more fumbles. I’m not sure how big Heinrich’s hands are but it could be a factor. Finishing runs in a passive manner probably doesn’t help either.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
One of the reasons Callahan was big on hand size at virtually all positions is this. Defenders with big meat hooks create more fumbles. I’m not sure how big Heinrich’s hands are but it could be a factor. Finishing runs in a passive manner probably doesn’t help either.
Last sentence is it. Finish your runs behind your pads and going forward and this is a non issue. Turn your back and get held up in a pile and you will get people ripping at the ball.

Haarberg needs to play smarter and protect himself. We're not going into a shell and play scared, he's our best weapon. Rhule isn't about that anyhow. He's a big strong kid he just needs to be smarter about taking hits, and friggin pitching the ball.

Reactions: king_kong_
Haarberg needs to play smarter and protect himself. We're not going into a shell and play scared, he's our best weapon. Rhule isn't about that anyhow. He's a big strong kid he just needs to be smarter about taking hits, and friggin pitching the ball.
He needs to have about 10 planned runs per game. His current run rate is among the highest ever at NU, not sustainable.

What difference does that make? Snodgrass should not be in a position to return a kick even if the other team intentionally kicks it short. If they do let him on the field for kickoff returns, they should make sure he calls for a fair catch. He proved that has no business returning a kickoff. You're smart enough to know that aren't you?
I was trying to complement your smart posting history, but I guess if you're a little sensitive to your intelligence quota, we can go there. Purdue saw this in film study and ran a trick kick to potentially cause a turnover. It worked, our special teams staff was outsmarted, I know you know how that feels.

Simms must have itty bitty hands.

I was trying to complement your smart posting history, but I guess if you're a little sensitive to your intelligence quota, we can go there. Purdue saw this in film study and ran a trick kick to potentially cause a turnover. It worked, our special teams staff was outsmarted, I know you know how that feels.
You of all people shouldn’t be commenting on someone else’s intelligence.

I still think we will have one because we just haven't shown that we are actually getting better in this phase of the game. I do think our offense is gaining a little bit of confidence with EJ starting to perform and the young bucks getting a few grabs under their belts. I really wish we could mesh Jeff Sims with HH. HH lacks lateral movement and quick acceleration and that seems to be what is really holding him back from looking decent. There are numerous times where if he would be able to move laterally just a little bit there is some daylight there.

Would still like to see more jet sweeps and screens. I felt Satt called a better game Saturday attacking the perimeter at times. Lloyd and Coleman have silly speed. Fleeks is no slouch either. Use the speed!
To use their speed, they have to get around the corner. We have had little historical success when running either sweeps or screens.

Anyone remember which Solich year it was that we had serious fumblitis?

I believe Solich made a player or 2 carry a football around with them on campus and invited students to try and knock it out? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. 😂

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Anyone remember which Solich year it was that we had serious fumblitis?

I believe Solich made a player or 2 carry a football around with them on campus and invited students to try and knock it out? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. 😂
1999. Texas game fumbles cost us going to the Natty. Nebraska outyarded Texas by 429-275 but lost three fumbles while the Longhorns played turnover-free football. Perhaps the most costly fumble came early in the fourth quarter when Correll Buckhalter lost the ball on the Texas 2-yard line on 3rd-and-goal run

a large portion of our game plan played into purdues strength -#4 and #5. our coaching staff could of and should of countered those two alot better. those 2 guys were alot of fun to watch in a negative sort of way.

a large portion of our game plan played into purdues strength -#4 and #5. our coaching staff could of and should of countered those two alot better. those 2 guys were alot of fun to watch in a negative sort of way.
What would you have run to counter them? Purdue was liable in the passing game but we weren't going there.

What would you have run to counter them? Purdue was liable in the passing game but we weren't going there.
not an oc by any means. something between the tackles with runs, counters, short double te's routes right at where those guys lined up. middle screens?
4 and 5 played the option as if they did it every week, straight drop back pass and they left our tackles blocking air. men against boys. 86 y/o TO probably could think of a couple of plays to neutralize those guys a little.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT