ADVERTISEMENT

Our Embarassing Fanbase

Since there are so many conflicting suggestions on what I am supposed to think, I guess I am stuck living with my own opinions.

I expected NU to lose last night. Something like 31-13. I did not expect a 59 point humiliation (note that I am using the term 'humiliation' in the context of sports - I was not personally humiliated nor is my lot in life changed by the outcome of this game, but thanks for caring). Last night was every bit as bad as the 3 blow-outs to Wisconsin, the earlier blow-out to OSU, and various other epic failures we've endured the past decade-plus. According to some in this thread, I was foolish to expect NU to be competitive last night.

One point of frustration is that NU took a big fat steamy dump on all of the favorable attention they received the previous week. How many times has this board lamented NU's lack of relevance the past 15 years? Well, NU was relevant. For 6 days. The next shot a relevance isn't likely to occur until next October, when NU once again faces Wisconsin and OSU in back-to-back games.

I hope Tommy Armstrong is cleared to play next week. I don't think NU will win any game without him at QB. It is hard to believe that Nebraska's QB depth chart is so fragile. It's been that way for a decade, it seems. There are many reasons for that, I suppose. One of which seems to be the previous staff's undervaluing of the QB position - or at least their inability to recruit more than one reasonable QB candidate every 4 years.
Best post of the thread

Reactions: Hoosker Du
7-2 after tOSU. Every single poster would have taken this record at the start of the year.

Every. Last. Poster.

Let's hope Tommy clears concussion protocol and can go next week.

GBR.

Let's not just glaze over 62-3 though. I'm pretty sure none of us would like to be forced to accept 62-3. 7-2 is still a decent record, but 62-3 makes it feel more like 5-4 right now.

Our AD said so himself...while winning games is nice, but winning games that matter is important. Last night was a game that mattered, big time, ....and we lost 62-3 and our "experienced" DC looked like a complete fool the entire night. I don't think many thought we could pull out the win but last night was an embarrassment of epic proportions.

Exactly. And for people not to understand this suggests that they aren't tuned in to reality. Banker failed his players in a major way last night.

No truer words spoken on here. We will not win again this yr without Tommy.

Disagree with you and RRT. I believe we will win out with or without TA, but I hope he comes back, really hope. But, we don't have to play OSU again and other teams lose important pieces as the year goes on to.

Reactions: bigboxes
Nobody is defending the loss. It is what it is.

But people who thought we were going to be competitive last night were being completely foolish.

Where do you come up with this crap? Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern, and Penn State were all very competitive with OSU, but Nebraska fans were delusional because we expected similar results?? C'mon man. I would have been OK losing by 2, or possibly even 3 TDs, but a 60-point loss warrants every bit of criticism the coaches are receiving.

And another thing.. Can we finally allow this narrative of "People just waiting to pounce on our coaches" to just die the undignified death that it deserves to die? All the conspiracy theorists can finally let this one go. Sure, there are people that for some odd reason want to be proven right about firing Blo or hiring Riley both being mistakes, but the vast majority of fans just want to see good performances on the field, whether it is Blo, Riley, or Bill Parcells.

The 'normal' Nebraska fan doesn't continue to harbor resentment to the level you are suggesting. We just want to see the team being competitive on a regular basis, even if we lose. That's why there was the amount of pride we all had after losing to Wisconsin the way we did. We truly saw progress vs the blowouts that Blo seemed to give us 2-3 times a year.

That's why the 60-point loss is bringing this sort of reaction. With Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Penn State being competitive with them, we didn't see any of this beatdown coming.

The injuries have decimated the offense. The o-line is razor thin without depth and they are the walking wounded. Carter, Ozigbo, Westy, Brandon are all hurt and missing playing time yet we played one hell of a game against Wisconsin and had our opportunity for a win stolen. Ohio State is bigger and deeper on the lines so because of our injuries we couldn't stop or defend ourselves. I'm just truly disgusted how the Scott Frost backers turned on Mike Riley especially since we all know and understand football. I didn't expect a huge blowout loss but Ohio State was literally the worst matchup possible coming off a heartbreaking loss to Wisconsin.

No one turned on Riley; it's just astonishing and sad how thin and weak our OL and DL are, Nebraska should NEVER have depth issues at those two places.

After having some time to stew on the game, I've had time to think about what happened. While Banker didn't call the best game, how can he when he doesn't get any pressure with the front four? I mean we have a former walk on playing DE out there with a former TE as well as a guy playing DT with a couple of surgically repaired knees. all going against 4 and 5 star talent. When we did blitz, how many tackles did the PLAYERS miss? MRI in particular had a rough night. Our WRs couldn't catch the one on one deep balls. That's when the offensive line with 3 walk ons was playing against probably the best defensive line they'll see all year.

I hate the injury excuse but man, looking back, getting to 7-2 with these lines and flaws has been overachieving in my book. Sure, the blowout sucks. But Ohio State clearly caught us on our worst night and finally decided to play their best game of the season (besides vs Oklahoma?). Just wait until we have some depth and these recruiting classes coming in and I think we'll finally be done with these blowouts.

I'm not close enough to the program, so I have to piece things together.

If TA can't play, Fyfe will be the starter. Mike Riley is too smart to start a qb controversy. It appears that Tanner Lee is the anointed starter for next year. If POB or Darlington can be decent (god forbid a good game), we'd have a controversy next year.
It's about competition not controversy. If POB cannot compete for the starting position next year, I would expect him to transfer.

It's about competition not controversy. If POB cannot compete for the starting position next year, I would expect him to transfer.

I honestly don't see him transferring, he loves it here per his mom.

Why would he transfer? Tanner Lee has 1-2 years to play for us... If POB doesn't beat him out, are you suggesting he will simply go somewhere else? Not everybody bugs out when things don't go there way, and I would hope that if POB isn't the guy next year, he sticks it out and pays his dues... These coaches have put QBs in the NFL, and he could be the next one... If things get rough, knuckle down...

Why would he transfer? Tanner Lee has 1-2 years to play for us... If POB doesn't beat him out, are you suggesting he will simply go somewhere else? Not everybody bugs out when things don't go there way, and I would hope that if POB isn't the guy next year, he sticks it out and pays his dues... These coaches have put QBs in the NFL, and he could be the next one... If things get rough, knuckle down...

Your thinly veiled attack on Danny Langsdorf is noted. Just because Langsdorf transferred out when he played and wasn't the starter, does not mean it's a character flaw.

Your thinly veiled attack on Danny Langsdorf is noted. Just because Langsdorf transferred out when he played and wasn't the starter, does not mean it's a character flaw.

I don't think he was calling DL out at all. Especially after saying that these "coaches" have put QBs into the NFL. He is giving credit to DL. Timsunn doesn't operate that way. At least I haven't seen him do so.

I don't think he was calling DL out at all. Especially after saying that these "coaches" have put QBs into the NFL. He is giving credit to DL. Timsunn doesn't operate that way. At least I haven't seen him do so.

If one believes you need to "knuckle down" when things aren't going your way rather than bugging out, it reads as a weakness of character. Danny Langsdorf during his collegiate career transferred after being named the backup. Some players prefer to play rather than be a backup. A choice to see playing time is not weakness of character in my book.

7-2 after tOSU. Every single poster would have taken this record at the start of the year.

Every. Last. Poster.

GBR.

I agree. You'd think we'd all be used to our team by now grabbing its ankles at least once or twice a season.

My point is that there is ALWAYS completion and there should never be a fear of controversy. Best man plays whether he is a redshirt freshman or a junior/senior transfer. No reason to transfer, but want to compete.

I predicted a month ago that we would get blown out in Columbus. People came down on me like a ton of bricks.

I am not on here to gloat or say "I told you so". Hate that kind of crap. And I am sick to my stomach after watching that garbage last night.

But I am here to say that I notice a lot of meltdown on here today and last night. Panic. Overreacting. And that is exactly what I feared would happen after a blowout loss. That is why I raised the issue of it being a very real possibility. We needed to think about this game as a fan base realistically.

Granted, given that OSU looked beatable these past few weeks, even I started to think we might win. So I get that people are disappointed. But come on folks. Riley is a great coach. He has an excellent staff. There is hope for the future. We are 7-2 and might go 10-2 if Tommy gets healthy.

We are still on track for our best season in a very, very long time. So stop panicking. Stop going after the coaches. Let's turn our attention to Minnesota and getting Tommy healthy

What?!?!

I don't even know where DL played college let alone if he was a starter or not. No veiled attacks here at all. It is what I said it was.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Where do you come up with this crap? Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern, and Penn State were all very competitive with OSU, but Nebraska fans were delusional because we expected similar results?? C'mon man. I would have been OK losing by 2, or possibly even 3 TDs, but a 60-point loss warrants every bit of criticism the coaches are receiving.

And another thing.. Can we finally allow this narrative of "People just waiting to pounce on our coaches" to just die the undignified death that it deserves to die? All the conspiracy theorists can finally let this one go. Sure, there are people that for some odd reason want to be proven right about firing Blo or hiring Riley both being mistakes, but the vast majority of fans just want to see good performances on the field, whether it is Blo, Riley, or Bill Parcells.

The 'normal' Nebraska fan doesn't continue to harbor resentment to the level you are suggesting. We just want to see the team being competitive on a regular basis, even if we lose. That's why there was the amount of pride we all had after losing to Wisconsin the way we did. We truly saw progress vs the blowouts that Blo seemed to give us 2-3 times a year.

That's why the 60-point loss is bringing this sort of reaction. With Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Penn State being competitive with them, we didn't see any of this beatdown coming.

1) It's not a conspiracy. That kind of posting was happening. And it's no surprise. There is a group of posters that routinely get banned for this kind of crap. To your point about the average fan: I obviously agree with that.

2) We snuck by Indiana. We are lucky to have played Northwestern early. Wisconsin is better than us. Penn State is certainly playing better than us. And we had to bring in Fyfe in the freaking second quarter. Have people forgotten Purdue last year? The second he came in the game everyone should have seen what was going to happen. That doesn't excuse the way we lost. It was brutal. But if you thought we were going to do anything other than get blown out once Fyfe came in the game I don't know what to say.

1) It's not a conspiracy. That kind of posting was happening. And it's no surprise. There is a group of posters that routinely get banned for this kind of crap. To your point about the average fan: I obviously agree with that.

2) We snuck by Indiana. We are lucky to have played Northwestern early. Wisconsin is better than us. Penn State is certainly playing better than us. And we had to bring in Fyfe in the freaking second quarter. Have people forgotten Purdue last year? The second he came in the game everyone should have seen what was going to happen. That doesn't excuse the way we lost. It was brutal. But if you thought we were going to do anything other than get blown out once Fyfe came in the game I don't know what to say.

Everybody but....Langsdorf? How does one excuse our run to pass ratio the moment Fyfe entered in to the game? Lets hope if Fyfe must start this Saturday our OC doesn't ask him to spin the ball 50 times.

Everybody but....Langsdorf? How does one excuse our run to pass ratio the moment Fyfe entered in to the game? Lets hope if Fyfe must start this Saturday our OC doesn't ask him to spin the ball 50 times.
I just don't know what option we have right now. The only positive is we're not going to be running against Wisconsin and Ohio State's defensive. Literally our only option is to play pitch-and-catch. Our offensive line is decimated... Ozigbo is hurt. Instead of listing people whose hurt we should list people who are healthy. I think there's only 3 people on the whole offensive side that's healthy at this point. And what I mean by healthy I mean if we actually had any depth these hurt guys wouldn't be playing.

Ok, I've stayed away from the toxicity of the message board for a long time, but I want to weigh in and be done with it.

First of all we came out on the road and threw a quick pick 6, took some of the wind out of our sails and it showed. Things got worse, but we had a shot driving to get to 10 and cut into Ohio States lead and maybe make a game of it, when boom our only QB option(since we are determined to defend POB's redshirt) is gone. You'd like to say this wasn't something that should rattle the team, but to see a senior, a warrior, and the reason you've won and lost game this year go down in that manner is unnerving.

Fyfe comes in, we don't convert and Ohio State goes right back down the field. We could have switched into conservative and tried to run the clock to keep the scoreboard lower, but our coaches believe in the kids and wanted to convey that confidence. Ryker, sadly, couldn't do much with the aggression and the deficit got worse and worse.

In all honesty, yes this hurts, but the fault in this loss doesn't fall solely on the shoulders of the current staff. The deficit in talent we played at on the lines and at QB when Armstrong got hurt is tied to poor roster management by the prior staff. It's year 2, there has not been enough time to fix the depth issues on the lines. We have the qb depth coming next year, but we don't have it now. Heck even our line backers, while performing admirably, aren't quite there yet.

So yes, this Ohio State loss is terribly disappointing. But, I didn't honestly believe we would win with Tommy all game, saw it as a 2 td loss. With Fyfe, we would have been a 28 point dog if not more. Urban did what Urban does and scored relentlessly to send a message to the playoff rankings committee. I don't like that he did it, but he did what it takes to get his team where it wants to go.

As a fan base, we all need to shove this talk against the staff and support the team going forward. Before this season if anyone told you we would have a decent shot at 10-2 you would have taken it. So calm down and support the team.,

I think it's simple, actually. We wanted to get him as many live reps as possible because our starter had just been taken off on a stretcher. Fyfe doesn't need practice handing the ball off, and there is no question about it, we aren't going to win down the stretch (with Fyfe as the starter) by throwing the ball 10 times a game. Our running games simply isn't good enough and our line can't block consistently (...or sometimes at all).

I think it's simple, actually. We wanted to get him as many live reps as possible because our starter had just been taken off on a stretcher. Fyfe doesn't need practice handing the ball off, and there is no question about it, we aren't going to win down the stretch (with Fyfe as the starter) by throwing the ball 10 times a game. Our running games simply isn't good enough and our line can't block consistently (...or sometimes at all).

Let him get all the reps leading up to the Minnesota game then...the moment Tommy was knocked out and we failed to convert on 4th and 1 that was a run out the clock situation. I fail to see how throwing Fyfe into the fire and him going 5/18 really benefited him. Instead...Langsdorf decides to throw the ball 16 times compared to running the ball 6 times in the second half. One led to a pick six. Below were our runs in the second half....even though our defense could not get one stop the entire game Langsdorf deserves quite a bit of blame as well for the final score.

7 yards
1 yard
7 yards
17 yards
2 yards
4 yards

Let him get all the reps leading up to the Minnesota game then...the moment Tommy was knocked out and we failed to convert on 4th and 1 that was a run out the clock situation. I fail to see how throwing Fyfe into the fire and him going 5/18 really benefited him. Instead...Langsdorf decides to throw the ball 16 times compared to running the ball 6 times in the second half. One led to a pick six. Below were our runs in the second half....even though our defense could not get one stop the entire game Langsdorf deserves quite a bit of blame as well for the final score.

7 yards
1 yard
7 yards
17 yards
2 yards
4 yards

I'm talking about game reps, obviously. Against a live defense that is trying to destroy you.

Running the ball a lot more makes a blowout a touch less of a blowout. Big deal. Langs decided to get him reps so he was more preparred to run the offense against Minnesota if need be, and frankly, that game is far more important moving forward than whether the final score against tOSU was 62-3 or 48-3.

Reactions: timnsun
I'm talking about game reps, obviously. Against a live defense that is trying to destroy you.

Running the ball a lot more makes a blowout a touch less of a blowout. Big deal. Langs decided to get him reps so he was more preparred to run the offense against Minnesota if need be, and frankly, that game is far more important moving forward than whether the final score against tOSU was 62-3 or 48-3.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. With Fyfe's output during that game I say it did him more harm than good. Hopefully we don't have to worry about it and Tommy can play this weekend.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
A final score of 45-3 or 62-3, it doesn't matter.

It was 31-3 at the half, and Ohio State received the kick. Ten seconds in to the 3rd quarter it was 38-3. Four minutes after our punt it was 45-3. Right around 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, Ohio State led 45-3. Let me repeat it; 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, which means 25 minutes left in the game, it was 45-3.

We got our rear ends pushed in, period. It doesn't matter if we ran it every single play after halftime, there was no shutting down Ohio State. The Sam McKewon belief of "run the ball" is utter garbage. It's just like his "need more Nebraska kids" rhetoric that he's been pushing out for the last year. Utter garbage.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. With Fyfe's output during that game I say it did him more harm than good. Hopefully we don't have to worry about it and Tommy can play this weekend.

I'm not sure what you want then. Run the ball more and Fyfe doesn't get game reps preparred. Run it less and his fragile confidence is shattered. What do you do with this kind of a QB situation?

I most certainly agree that we all have to hope TA gets cleared. Personally, I think we lose to Minnesota if Fyfe has to start.

Every. Last. Poster.

GBR.

What does the fan base have to do with a serious ass kicking.

We got drilled by a much better team. We are still showing improvement across the board as a program. Stay the course, but we have a long way to go to compete for titles. TA is our best QB by a wiiiiiide margin.

Fans are dumb. /thread

Saturday night was the result of Pelini's recruiting by car. Most of us have know this disaster would show up playing a quality team. Even the cellar dwellers get motivated & give it their best to play the once mighty HUSKERS.

Coach Riley must be given time to restore talent. What Pelini did was years in the making & now we live with it.
GBR!

Saturday night was the result of Pelini's recruiting by car. Most of us have know this disaster would show up playing a quality team. Even the cellar dwellers get motivated & give it their best to play the once mighty HUSKERS.

Coach Riley must be given time to restore talent. What Pelini did was years in the making & now we live with it.
GBR!
The injuries have decimated our already thin offense. The linemen started going down then Carter hurt. The Ozigbo messed up his ankle then receivers started going down. It's a mess.

Wisconsin and Ohio State are so physical. We just couldn't line up and run at Ohio State because of their size and athleticism. Minnesota should be better in that respect but we're still a shell of an offense without healthy serviceable linemen.

ADVERTISEMENT