ADVERTISEMENT

OT - former players NIL??

Ask @rgrachek who not only doesn’t know this but still thinks he’s right about it
I've explained it clearly that only the principal players for the most part get SAG if it's in their contracts. It's not a right from GOD. Kong man thinks there's some relation though to this and college athletes playing in games.

And as far as how the courts will rule, I think we've seen enough just this year to know that juries and judges rule on emotion and personal preference towards one side and the actual law has little to do with it anymore.

This is literally TLDR; so I'll just comment on one aspect: clearly the recent legal decisions and settlements have rendered any old scholarship contracts unenforceable and void on their face. Do we really think a contract, once signed, is etched in stone and can never be revisited based on current circumstances?
You can't revisit contracts that were not determined to be unconscionable at the time. Those players are no longer (if they were really ever) under contract to the NCAA. There are property rights and those highlights are the property of the NCAA. It's highly debatable that the recent court decisions have rendered all contracts in the past unenforceable, but that's not even the point. The NCAA can use their property as they like and the players have no contract with them. Under their logic, any time that someone uses the image of Abraham Lincoln, his estate and family is entitled to NIL money. Man, in this world, I'd love to be a descendant of Jesus. Too bad he didn't have any kids.

There's a statue of Tom Osborne and Brook Berringer in front of the old football offices. How much NIL does TO and the Berringer family get from that image?

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
You can't revisit contracts that were not determined to be unconscionable at the time.
100% false. If the contract is still being enforced against the signer then it is still open to litigate whether it is null and void. As far as there being no contract with the NCAA, you don't need a contract to demand compensation for the use of your name and likeness to make a profit

The TO and BB example? Now you're just being silly. Obviously TO and the Berringer families were ok with the statue and no one was exerting undue leverage against them to get them to agree. I'm sure you don't see the difference, right? Citing extremely stupid examples like Jesus really doesn't advance your position.

100% false. If the contract is still being enforced against the signer then it is still open to litigate whether it is null and void. As far as there being no contract with the NCAA, you don't need a contract to demand compensation for the use of your name and likeness to make a profit

The TO and BB example? Now you're just being silly. Obviously TO and the Berringer families were ok with the statue and no one was exerting undue leverage against them to get them to agree. I'm sure you don't see the difference, right? Citing extremely stupid examples like Jesus really doesn't advance your position.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a large donation in both names to TeamMates or the Brook Berringer Foundation or some other agreed upon org as part of the commissioning of that statue

Reactions: mgbreis
T

There was always a clause in the standard grant-in-aid (scholarship) document that gave the NCAA permission to use the student-athlete's likeness in such things as promotional videos and productions. I have not seen one of those GIA agreements for a couple of years, so I don't know if that clause is still in there. But historically the kids signed over the rights to their likeness.
I doubt that That clause would exist today because of what NIL has become. But back when these kids signed NIL was a non thing. It will be interesting.

You can say 100% false all you want, but the point is that in this case, there is NO contract. You can demand compensation all you want, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

The NCAA owns these championship events, and they have the right to use the film of these events to their liking. You can't just demand money because they show a part of an event that they own that you participated in. As someone else said, every fan shown on those commercials would be entitled to compensation if that were the case.

Now, you have your legal argument, and the NCAA will have theirs probably similar to that stated here, and we all know that the decision in the case won't be made by any appropriate application of the law, but rather by the notion of pushing money from the "man" to the "people". Why do we even have laws if we're not going to follow them?

d77e414c89d2a74fc9f585b79cfb9eae.gif

You can say 100% false all you want, but the point is that in this case, there is NO contract. You can demand compensation all you want, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

The NCAA owns these championship events, and they have the right to use the film of these events to their liking. You can't just demand money because they show a part of an event that they own that you participated in. As someone else said, every fan shown on those commercials would be entitled to compensation if that were the case.

Now, you have your legal argument, and the NCAA will have theirs probably similar to that stated here, and we all know that the decision in the case won't be made by any appropriate application of the law, but rather by the notion of pushing money from the "man" to the "people". Why do we even have laws if we're not going to follow them?
Your position is so strong you concede you’re wrong but make the very rational excuse it’s because the “man” wants to push money to the “people.” The NCAA settles these cases because they know that they will lose in court whether by judge or jury. I love arguing with people whose positions bear no resemblance to reality.

Your position is so strong you concede you’re wrong but make the very rational excuse it’s because the “man” wants to push money to the “people.” The NCAA settles these cases because they know that they will lose in court whether by judge or jury. I love arguing with people whose positions bear no resemblance to reality.
Is it any wonder I've had that character in my Ignore Hopper for 2 years now?

How in GOD's name did I concede that I was wrong?

What bears no resemblance to reality is when you have to add the last sentence just for effect.

So tired of arguing with people who want to shower athletes with money.

How in GOD's name did I concede that I was wrong?

What bears no resemblance to reality is when you have to add the last sentence just for effect.

So tired of arguing with people who want to shower athletes with money.
Please stop confusing your Holiday Inn Express room card for @mgbreis’s J.D.

Reactions: leodisflowers
The TO and BB example? Now you're just being silly. Obviously TO and the Berringer families were ok with the statue and no one was exerting undue leverage against them to get them to agree.
So we are saying 20 years ago athletes had undue leverage on them to play basketball for KU?

The comment about the statues seeming to be silly - even two years ago if we would have said someone had ownership rights of their highlight and all games - this may have been deemed silly at the time, but here we are.

Please stop confusing your Holiday Inn Express room card for @mgbreis’s J.D.
What's really pathetic is someone who doesn't have an original thought in their head, they just parrot what other people say and throw out a credential. What you're essentially saying is that since mgbreis is apparently a lawyer, then his opinions are sacrosanct, which is REALLY interesting since lawyers make their livings arguing that other lawyer's opinions are bullshit. You must think you have to be a lawyer to have an opinion on this matter because that's the only rationale you've provided to justify your lame position on the matter.

What's really interesting is what I've discovered over the past 40 years working with lawyers, that when they're getting what they want or getting what supports their position on the matter, then they proclaim that the decisions are right and wholly consistent with the law. When they lose, don't get what they want, or have something go against their desired position, they proclaim that the decision isn't consistent with the law and the decision was rigged by bad people on the other side. I have NEVER seen a lawyer admit that what they were trying to get away turns out to be inconsistent with the law.

Lawyers are guns for hire. They try to create any narrative they can get away with to win. They'll put any theory out there supporting their aim, no matter how lame, and see what shit sticks. I've watched it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears for 40 years. The point is that mgbreis obviously thinks that athletes should get a substantial part of the til, I don't. At least I can admit that instead of making some ridiculous claim that the law is on his (or your) side. It's not, but what is on his (and your) side is this pathetic desire in the courts to transfer money from the people it belongs to to people who is doesn't belong to.

What's really pathetic is someone who doesn't have an original thought in their head, they just parrot what other people say and throw out a credential.
wait, now you've forgotten that I was the first to respond?

might be time to take a lap, bub

If not mistaken this guy was a big proponent of the jab and the boosters. He was with the medical industrial complex that would flatten the curve, I kept telling him it was about flattening the pulse.

Last edited:
  • Haha

If not mistaken this guy was a big proponent of the jab and the boosters. He was with the medical industrial complex that it would flatten the curve, I kept telling him it was about flattening the pulse.
he apparently also hates competition and therefore the USA

yes. of course.

you don't think they'd have made more $ if they'd been allowed to try?
I don’t doubt that some could have made more money - but let’s not pretend getting scholarship for school and clothing and top of the line food options are the equivalent of forced labor.

I don’t doubt that some could have made more money - but let’s not pretend getting scholarship for school and clothing and top of the line food options are the equivalent of forced labor.
Let’s not pretend a governing body actively forbidding & preventing independent enterprise is the equivalent of parenting, either, and we have a deal

Still waiting for the original thought.
I’m not sure how many ways I can tell you you’re wrong in the same thread.

Will be quite sometime until someone shows their bare ass so willingly on this board

Well done!

Keep championing those monopolies!

Last edited:
I’m not sure how many ways I can tell you you’re wrong in the same thread.

Will be quite sometime until someone shows their bare ass so willingly on this board

Well done!

Keep championing those monopolies!
You just can't argue you're point, can you?

BTW, this isn't the first time I've argued on this board with someone who's only capable of responding at the junior high level.

Show my bare ass? Man, now you got me!

What's funny is that you just exposed yourself with the last sentence. Give all of the profits to the workers, even though they took no risks. Thanks Mr. Marx.

BTW again, these guys could form their own basketball league, have a tournament, and make money on that if they wanted to invest their own money and time and take the risk. Hardly a monopoly. This is just another example of someone wanting to take advantage of someone else's work and property.

• Haha
This is just another example of someone wanting to take advantage of someone else's work and property.
this is the point. You’re arguing it for me.

You just can’t grasp the fact your opinion lands on the wrong side of it.

You will never understand. And you’ll somehow be flabbergasted when these guys get paid via settlement.

this is the point. You’re arguing it for me.

You just can’t grasp the fact your opinion lands on the wrong side of it.

You will never understand. And you’ll somehow be flabbergasted when these guys get paid via settlement.
Jesus, I seem to own you! You just can't stop responding!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT