ADVERTISEMENT

OL help needed?

konaki

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2002
I know that many on this board feel we need help with the DL and help is here and more coming imo. With that being said do we need a few more OL guys to come in or does anyone feel we are set. I know we had some players sit out this spring do to injury but I feel we could see at least one more transfer, maybe. What do you think?

I know that many on this board feel we need help with the DL and help is here and more coming imo. With that being said do we need a few more OL guys to come in or does anyone feel we are set. I know we had some players sit out this spring do to injury but I feel we could see at least one more transfer, maybe. What do you think?
I think NU is far from set in the OL.

Until Teddy gets healthy, the real comedy starts when Mathis is lined up over Benhart or Banks.

• Haha
Reactions: cubsker
Teddy P, Corcoran, Nouili, Hixson, Anthony, Williams and Benhart all have starters experience.

Is there a transfer offensive linemen in the portal that makes any sense to take a long hard look at? I don't follow all the players in the portal and haven't really looked at what's available as far as OL is concerned. Maybe someone with better knowledge can chime in. It now seems the missing pieces seem to be at least one more DL which I feel we will get and one more stud offensive linemen to solidify that group. jmo

Teddy P, Corcoran, Nouili, Hixson, Anthony, Williams and Benhart all have starters experience.
And how many of them are you 100% comfortable with being starters?

Teddy P has what? 1 game experience? Corcoran is probably best at a position he has little college experience with? Benhart has struggled mightily. I dont know much about Williams, Nouili, or Hixon

Is there a transfer offensive linemen in the portal that makes any sense to take a long hard look at? I don't follow all the players in the portal and haven't really looked at what's available as far as OL is concerned. Maybe someone with better knowledge can chime in. It now seems the missing pieces seem to be at least one more DL which I feel we will get and one more stud offensive linemen to solidify that group. jmo
There are a couple from the SEC that we could bid for.

There are a couple from the SEC that we could bid for.
There are still about 47 OT's and 45 IOL's listed as Best Available in the portal.
There are a couple of 4* kids. They may be overrated, stuck behind a real stud, or just looking for a new home.

Ideally, NU would be able to sign at least 1 more quality DL, and at least 1 more quality OL/OIL from the portal.

With Vince doing his thing, I'm pretty sure NU will grab a couple new players before the season starts.

Until NU solves that Right OT spot, the OL remains a mystery. Another really good OG would help a ton, although, overall the Guard position has more bodies that may be able to do an adequate job.

I’m not comfortable with any of the line until they prove more. I worry about Center as well (not highlighted above).

Nouili is probably the best of the bunch “right now,” but how does he compare to the rest of the league teams?
Not sure.

We have a lot riding on this group figuring out their sh*t as fast as possible.

Reactions: konaki
I’m not comfortable with any of the line until they prove more. I worry about Center as well (not highlighted above).

Nouili is probably the best of the bunch “right now,” but how does he compare to the rest of the league teams?
Not sure.

We have a lot riding on this group figuring out their sh*t as fast as possible.
No doubt NU will NOT be lining up this year with a 2nd round pick at Center.
The possibility of signing 1 or 2 new OL would at least give Raiola a chance to see if Corcoran would be an upgrade from Hixson at C.

Corcoran is by far a better athlete than Hixson, and having Jurgens selected that high in the draft could be a selling point to Corcoran to give it a real effort at a new position.

I looked at the NFL's Top 10 rated centers and with two exceptions, one being 6'5" and one being 6'6", the remaining 8 were 6'3" and 6'4". The top center was 6'2".

Although there are exceptions, seems the NFL guys like those Centers in the 6'2" - 6'4" range.

My point really proves nothing, lol, except a 6'6" kid like Corcoran would be in the minority as a Center as far as heighth is considered.

Haven't heard much on Anthony, the transfer from Okie State. Did he play in the spring game? His bio said he had some starts in 2019 as a RS Frosh. Seems like there has to be some skills there to get PT that early in his career for a winning P5 program.

Haven't heard much on Anthony, the transfer from Okie State. Did he play in the spring game? His bio said he had some starts in 2019 as a RS Frosh. Seems like there has to be some skills there to get PT that early in his career for a winning P5 program.
Seemed to me the two most athletic OL (other than Cam) NU had last year were Corcoran and Piper and both were a disaster on the left side. Both those kids may need to be OIL's and stay away from blocking in space.

In limited snaps during the spring game, Anthony looks to be a slight upgrade over Benhart at RT. JMO.

This might be a good lineup
LT Teddy P. - didn't look like a true freshman in the time he got before the injury
LG Nouili - steady performer last year
Center Hixson or Corcoran
RG Williams or Corcoran
Hixson, Corcoran and Williams all have starters experience. Lutovsky should also be in the mix at guard.
RT Anthony - had a number of starts at Okie Lite before an injury.

This might be a good lineup
LT Teddy P. - didn't look like a true freshman in the time he got before the injury
LG Nouili - steady performer last year
Center Hixson or Corcoran
RG Williams or Corcoran
Hixson, Corcoran and Williams all have starters experience. Lutovsky should also be in the mix at guard.
RT Anthony - had a number of starts at Okie Lite before an injury.
Don't leave out Lutovsky as I think he just very well may be a starter come fall as that dude is a beast with a nasty attitude.

We need to coach some of these guys up at some point if our line is ever going to be any good. Jurgens was a 2nd round pick and you hardly would have known it for much of his time here. Most of the other guys never got any better year after year. It's hard to tell if they have talent or not if they've never been coached properly.

If I’m playing with NIL money in portal, these 4 are on my roster..😁
Who you got?.. O-line?

Interesting to note that even Ohio St has their Matt Farniok/Brenden Jaimes.

They had a 3 year starter on their OL that moved around from tackle to guard and didn’t get drafted until the 7th round.

Webb’s teammate here is an immovable mountain
Not seeing anything in the portal for this one.
The others, Adams #7 best available, Ray #3 best available, #1 Webb best available.

They are all RsFR or Sophs. So they should land somewhere.
The Ray kid from Colorado has been in the portal since Jan 22. The others just entered in April.

And how many of them are you 100% comfortable with being starters?

Teddy P has what? 1 game experience? Corcoran is probably best at a position he has little college experience with? Benhart has struggled mightily. I dont know much about Williams, Nouili, or Hixon

Exactly right. If your experience is on a 3-9 team that couldn’t run or pass block, we need some different experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT