ADVERTISEMENT

New Poll - who do you want to replace Scott Frost.

New list - who do you want to replace Scott Frost

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i'm fully on board with him getting one more opportunity now that he is 100% free of the previous regimes leftovers.

if its another losing season then its time for him to go.

question. what do you think should happen if he manages to beat Iowa and Wisconsin?
Well he is 4-15 on the road and Wisky owns us so that isn't happening. We should beat Iowa at home , long overdue. I think he would get a pass if he gets us to a bowl game.

I selected Aranda, although I'm more so a fan of his o coordinator Jeff Grimes. Huge wide zone guy. I hate to admit it, but I think it's time we shift to a system more like Iowa if we're not going to go all in on triple option power ruining I form stuff. They run wide zone with the pa passes built around that, and it's such a flexible system. Can make dudes look good even if not the most blue chip recruits in the world.

Grimes has been having some great success down in Baylor this season and their offense is explosive. We could either try for Aranda and bring Grimes with him, or just go for Grimes

The stuff he has talked about on FOX Sports has shown he is open to getting back into coaching for the right job. I don't know if Nebraska is one of those jobs or not. Hell, USCw could be one of those jobs he would want.

I don't see Nebraska as a high pressure job compared to some others. Washington is a shitty place to be a head coach. You are stuck up in a corner of the country that nobody pays attention to, takes forever to get to, nobody watches you on TV, etc.

At Nebraska he could recruit, develop, and bring winning seasons and he is good to go.

I cannot believe you wrote "I don't see Nebraska as a high pressure job compared to some others." Coaching the Huskers in Nebraska is living your life under a magnifying glass.

As far as coaching U Dub is a shitty job. I may argue that one with you. Living in a five million dollar house on Lake Washington in the upscale Eastside suburbs and going to work in your ski boat is not too bad. Nobody cares about Husky football after the season. Yes, Seattle is far away from everything. Takes me 5-6 hours to fly to the east coast (after a 2.5 hour drive over two mountain passes). I've written this before too. When I've been back to Nebraska in the fall the Pac 12 game that started at 7:30 pm PST may be on TV in the bars and taverns, but it is mere background scenery.

Last edited:
I wonder if Peterson is looking to get back into coaching? If so, you offer him the job and don't look back.
Success followed this dude no doubt, but only Mountain West and Pac-12 experience. The more I watch the Big Ten, the more I think it's a different breed. I think if TA makes a move, Nebraska will go full-blown Big Ten. We'll bring someone in with previous conference experience, or someone who's strategy is clearly relatable to the conference. Peterson doesn't fall in that category, to me.

People say we should look for someone that has coached in the Big Ten since they will understand the Big Ten better than someone that hasn't coached in the Big Ten. I'm fine with that line of thinking if a good candidate is found. I think a good excerise is to put together a list of who those people are.

Three names come to mind right away:

Jeff Hafley - coached at Ohio State. Now head coach at Boston College.
Dave Aranda - coached at WI as the DC for a few years. Now at Baylor. Could he go back to Cali though for the USC job? I don't see him getting the LSU job.
Dave Deoren at NC State that coached at Wisconsin.

Someone mentioned Dave Aranda if he brings the OC, Jeff Grimes with him. From a quick glance he has had some success as an OC. Long history at the OL.

Baylor does have a top 10 rushing offense in the country.

The Oklahoma DC coached at Ohio State. Obvious many others coached in the Big Ten. Later tonight I'll pull up some more names with a Big Ten connection.

Reactions: BleedRed78
With another football season halfway done, and Scott Frost once again showing he sucks as a head coach, it's time to put together a new list to pick from. I'm limited to the names I included so if someone wants a name I didn't put on here, I can't add it.

My new top 3 list: Dave Aranda, Jeff Hafley, Jamey Chadwell. I voted for Dave Aranda. I like that he is willing to use a fullback. Has a good defensive mind. Would be a CEO, not a coordinator playing head coach like Frost does.

Any of the names of Aranda, Hafley, or Chadwell would be solid hires, IMO.
Weren't you solidly on the Scott Frost bandwagon just a couple of days ago after wanting him fired all season? You should have your therapist reevaluate your prescriptions.

Tom Herman, former Texas coach and current Chicago Bears offensive analyst.
He is a successful P5 coach with recruiting ties to the Midwest and Texas. Hiring him would not require a “buyout” to another school which would help mitigate the 20 million buyout to Frost.

I’ve been thinking about this post a lot and it would make a lot of sense. Not having to pay a buyout makes it seem more realistic. He could keep Chins to run the defense and likely keep all the key guys on that side. He has the credibility to keep the offensive players he wants and could almost certainly land the best portal QB available (Rattler, etc).

Top rising P5 names and top coordinators from the article:

P5 coaches: Mark Stoops at Kentucky. Mel Tucker at Michigan State, Dave Clawson at Wake Forest, Dave Aranda at Baylor, Lane Kiffen at Ole Miss, Doeren at NC State, Jonathan Smith at Oregon State, Pat Narduzzi at Pitt

G5 coaches: Jeff Traylor at UTSA, Luke at cincy, Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina, Sonny Dykes at SMU, Brady Hoke at San Diego State, Dana at UTEP, Jay Norvell at Nevada, Kalen at Fresno State,

FBS Coordinators: Dan Lanning at Georgia (from North kansas City, MO), Brent Pry at PSU, Jim Knowles at Oklahoma State, Jeff Grimes at Baylor, Josh Gattis at Michigan, Brad White at kentucky, Levar Woods at Iowa,

Paul Chryst name is listed as stock down. Ha!

Dan Lanning at Georgia (from North kansas City, MO) - 3rd season at Georgia. Only 35 years old. Likely someone that will grow into being a head coach in the coming years but should NOT be a candidate to replace Scott Frost. Lack of experience, way too young from a leadership perspective, etc, etc.

Brent Pry at PSU - been with Franklin for about 7 or 8 years as his DC. For some reason people don't talk about him as a head coaching candidate if Franklin left. From PA. Only 51 years old. No clue if he wants to be a P5 head coach or not.

Jim Knowles at Oklahoma State - was at Duke for eons. Not someone I'd look at replacing Scott Frost.

Jeff Grimes at Baylor. Sneaky good resume. Was the OL coach at a few P5 schools. Was the OC at BYU for a few seasons and now OC at Baylor. If we hired a P5 coordinator, he would be my #1 choice. From Texas. Played OL in college. Only 53 years old.

Josh Gattis at Michigan - only 37 years old. Been coaching at P5 jobs the last several years (PSU, MI, and Alabama). From North Carolina. We played MI so people know what he runs.

Brad White at kentucky - spent several years with the Colts. been with Stoops the last few years now. Young guy.

Levar Woods at Iowa - he isn't a bad coach but not sure why the author put him on this list.

• Love
I’ve been thinking about this post a lot and it would make a lot of sense. Not having to pay a buyout makes it seem more realistic. He could keep Chins to run the defense and likely keep all the key guys on that side. He has the credibility to keep the offensive players he wants and could almost certainly land the best portal QB available (Rattler, etc).
I don't like it, if you can't win at Texas in a league you literally own, you won't win anywhere else.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
With another football season halfway done, and Scott Frost once again showing he sucks as a head coach, it's time to put together a new list to pick from. I'm limited to the names I included so if someone wants a name I didn't put on here, I can't add it.

My new top 3 list: Dave Aranda, Jeff Hafley, Jamey Chadwell. I voted for Dave Aranda. I like that he is willing to use a fullback. Has a good defensive mind. Would be a CEO, not a coordinator playing head coach like Frost does.

Any of the names of Aranda, Hafley, or Chadwell would be solid hires, IMO.
all choices are worse than Frost.

• Haha
Want to see Scott Frost win out or at least 3, but if not, Chris Petersen (ex-Boise State, Washington)

If Frost gets fired, this hire needs to be realistic. Our defense has finally gotten accustomed to the 3-4 to slow down Big Ten offenses – and I don’t see Chinander sticking around Lincoln if Frost is gone. Probably ends up at another Big Ten school or to the NFL to be completely honest.

Not sure what our budget is for a potential coach, but I’d be all in on Chris Petersen or (can’t believe I’m actually saying this) Lane Kiffin…We could also do a lot worse the Chris Klieman or Tom Herman.

My problem with Tom Herman is he is a lot like other college coaches who did not achieve the success he should have. Recruited well, but his team lack discipline. I think these coaches are too afraid of the transfer portal and therefore there is no accountability. Might as well be tough, but fair to the modern player, because if he is unhappy he is going to leave you regardless of your coaching style.

I think Hudson Card will be entering his name in the transfer portal after losing the starting quarterback job at Texas. He was rated a 4 star coming out of high school and was recruited by Tom Herman.

My problem with Tom Herman is he is a lot like other college coaches who did not achieve the success he should have. Recruited well, but his team lack discipline. I think these coaches are too afraid of the transfer portal and therefore there is no accountability. Might as well be tough, but fair to the modern player, because if he is unhappy he is going to leave you regardless of your coaching style.
Yeah I'm pretty skeptical of having another players coach after Frost. The thing I like about Herman though is when his offense is good, it's very good. I also think an offensive coach is more likely to put us over the top than a defensive coach.

Reactions: Minn1954
Yeah I'm pretty skeptical of having another players coach after Frost. The thing I like about Herman though is when his offense is good, it's very good. I also think an offensive coach is more likely to put us over the top than a defensive coach.
I think Tom Herman could get OL coach Herb Hand who is making $300,000 at UCF.
Herb Hand has coached the OL at Texas, Auburn and Penn State. He was Tom Herman’s OL coach at Texas.

Reactions: headcard
I don’t understand, “did not achieve the success he should have.”
What success should he have experienced? The last 4 years of the Mack Brown era, (2010-2013) Texas was 31-20, .589 winning percentage and a losing season in 2010, (5-7). In 4 years, 2017-2020, Tom Herman went 32-20, .640 winning percentage and 4 bowl wins. The .640 winning percentage is the second best since 1987 for Texas. David McWilliams (1987-1991) 31-26, .544.
John Mackovic (1992-1997) 41-28, .592. Charlie Strong (2014-2016) 16-21, .433. Mack Brown has by far the best winning percentage.767, (158-48), but again his last four years were subpar. Charlie Strong was a nightmare and Tom Herman got things back on track and even surpassed Mack Brown’s last 4 years.
While he did not exceed the Texas fans expectations, it is generally accepted that their expectations are unrealistic. Many coaches, including Saban, have not shown an interest in the Texas job due to the unreal expectations of the administration and fans.
I think Tom Herman has the potential to do great things at Nebraska.

I don't think Texas gave him a fair shot, but he's an offensive minded coach and think he could do a great job here. What concerns me most about him is the kissing the players thing was a bit weird. Herman wouldn't be a bad hire at all.
Wasn't Herman the one who said the color of your pee could mean you are a bad teamate?

What success should he have experienced? The last 4 years of the Mack Brown era, (2010-2013) Texas was 31-20, .589 winning percentage and a losing season in 2010, (5-7). In 4 years, 2017-2020, Tom Herman went 32-20, .640 winning percentage and 4 bowl wins. The .640 winning percentage is the second best since 1987 for Texas. David McWilliams (1987-1991) 31-26, .544.
John Mackovic (1992-1997) 41-28, .592. Charlie Strong (2014-2016) 16-21, .433. Mack Brown has by far the best winning percentage.767, (158-48), but again his last four years were subpar. Charlie Strong was a nightmare and Tom Herman got things back on track and even surpassed Mack Brown’s last 4 years.
While he did not exceed the Texas fans expectations, it is generally accepted that their expectations are unrealistic. Many coaches, including Saban, have not shown an interest in the Texas job due to the unreal expectations of the administration and fans.
Maybe I should have written "Herman did not achieve the success EXPECTED of him by the Texas faithful" I still stand by my statement's main point of emphasis is too many college coaches are afraid of the transfer portal.

There has to be something wrong with the Culture in Austin and Univ of Texas in particular for such crappy results within the nations best talent hotbed and massive unparralled nations best resources.

Some more reasons for why I put Aranda on the list......he annually has a good rush defense and that is needed in the Big Ten. He already coached in the Big TEn West as a DC. So he wouldn't be in for a "deer in the headlights" like some coaches get when going from the G5 to P5.

I don't know how good Aranda would do as a recruiter at Nebraska. That is the same concern I would have with Jamey Chadwell.

I honestly think the smartest move we could make is by poaching someone from the P5 level since the learning curve of being a head coach at the P5 level is already at a higher level than a G5 to P5 person.

I always keep coming back to Matt from Iowa State when I think about Midwest fit, recruiting experience in the region, connections to high schools in the region, KC ties so Nebraska can get back in there, and coaching a culture of toughness.

I know Matt has not defeated Iowa, but I am not concerned about that since Matt would play Iowa at the end of the season when his teams are always peaking.
You are goofier than a pet coon. That is all.

That's good for us and USC if we make a move. If Franklin goes to USC or LSU, Penn State will most likely hire Bill O'Brien.
mmmmm I don't think Bill and PSU parted on the best of terms and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be even in their list of potential hires. I think Billy boy did the college thing and is going to be an NFL guy going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT