ADVERTISEMENT

New Poll - who do you want to replace Scott Frost.

New list - who do you want to replace Scott Frost

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
in all seriousness, Hugh Freeze

Good coach.

I'm leaning more and more towards hiring a head coach with P5 experience. I've been going through the top 25 rankings the last 5 years and coaches who are putting together top 15 seasons were hired from another P5 job or were coordinators at the P5 level. Very few came from the G5 head coaching ranks.

Reactions: BleedRed78
As I mentioned in the original post, Dave Aranda is the guy that I voted for. I really like how he has shown to adapt and change as a head coach. Willing to make changes when something wasn't working.

My hope is that he doesn't get the USC job. Mel Tucker is a legit candidate for the LSU job.

If Nebraska can get Dave Aranda, I'd argue that is the smartest hire Nebraska has made since the TO era.

• Love
There's a few realistic ones that I would be on with.

Matt Campbell for one.

Aranda is interesting. But will have a lot of demand.

Bill O'Brien is now my wildcard pick. The more I look at his resume, the more he grows on me. He took a sanctioned PSU team, in the wake of one of the most horrible and publicized scandals and won.

They lost 10 scholarships a year and a bowl ban.

So it is hard to measure how his recruiting was and predict how it will be.

I think when you take a step back and look at the giant nightmare of a scandal and the 10 lost scholarships a year. He finished in the middle of the pack both years. I think you have to take that as a win right? How would you quantify the Paterno scandal and the 10 scholarship loss?

If I was Trev, I would research his recruiting. If it checks out as good, I'd be happy.

The admin/AD situation was pretty crazy for him. I think Trev could smooth those potential issues over.

Last edited:
There's a few realistic ones that I would be on with.

Matt Campbell for one.

Aranda is interesting. But will have a lot of demand.

Bill O'Brien is now my wildcard pick. The more I look at his resume, the more he grows on me. He took a sanctioned PSU team, in the wake of one of the most horrible and publicized scandals and won.

They lost 10 scholarships a year and a bowl ban.

So it is hard to measure how his recruiting was and predict how it will be.

I think when you take a step back and look at the giant nightmare of a scandal and the 10 loss scholarships a year. He finished in the middle of the pack both years. I think you have to take that as a win right? How would you quantity the Paterno scandal and the 10 scholarship loss?

If I was Trev, I would research his recruiting. If it checks out as good, I'd be happy.

The admin/AD situation was pretty crazy for him. I think Trev could smooth those potential issues over.
I've heard Trev is buddies with Billy O as well. I don't love that hire, but maybe he could turn it around?

Dave Aranda

California native
7 years of experience as a defensive coordinator at the P5 level. Never once in those 7 years did Dave Aranda have a rushing defense ranked below 32nd.

2 years as a head coach at the P5 level.

Runs a 3-4 defense.

Willing to change staff members after any season when something is not working right (aka results).

Total Defense
Passing DefenseRushing DefenseRef
2012Utah State15th39th15th[29]
2013Wisconsin9th25th5th[30]
2014Wisconsin9th9th24th[31]
2015Wisconsin2nd5th4th[32]
2016LSU5th14th10th[33]
2017LSU12th21st24th[34]
2018LSU30th44th38th[35]
2019LSU32nd57th24th[36]

• Love
I don't think Frost is getting fired this year. Lot of names in this thread. Virtually none of them are guaranteed big winners except the guy who mentioned Urban. I theres probably several guys here who could get you back to a Pelini era win count.

Aranda is as good a name as any for the next roll of the dice. Although as that chart shows as his responsibility as grown as a coach his defense rating has tailed off. Risk reward and all that.

As I mentioned in the original post, Dave Aranda is the guy that I voted for. I really like how he has shown to adapt and change as a head coach. Willing to make changes when something wasn't working.

My hope is that he doesn't get the USC job. Mel Tucker is a legit candidate for the LSU job.

If Nebraska can get Dave Aranda, I'd argue that is the smartest hire Nebraska has made since the TO era.
💯

you know whats funny about Dave Aranda? He was 1-4 in one score games last year, then shitcanned a couple of the offensive staff and now they're on a roll.

makes you think
You pay coaches to perform and demand accountability, not BS excuses. "Oh, he was hurt, "Oh we didn't expect to see that defensive front"
"Oh, this guy isn't ready yet"
"Oh, we didn't teach them to do that"
"oh he didn't kick it where we told him"

And on and on and on.

OWN IT FROST. OWN THE RESULTS!

I honestly just want Jeff Grimes. Could be less costly than buying out Aranda, is the reason Aranda is enjoying success with offense this year, and has a tremendous resume of proven effectiveness running his wide zone scheme (even via shotgun and pistol with big passing attack off of it).

We're in the big ten. I hate but if this is our fate, then we must be able to run the ball and play defense. His run scheme works because he actually knows how to coach linemen to execute zone boxing properly. Our offense should help our defense, not place unnecessary pressure on it like ours currently does. Also helps with ball security. As much as I love the option, that is a concern even in a good option offense.

We could hire him and even retain Chins if he was willing. Probably a better gig to stay here than think he could go elsewhere, and his defensive scheme would work much better with an offense that also serves defense by playing keep away. Overall could be a decent money value proposition.

I honestly just want Jeff Grimes. Could be less costly than buying out Aranda, is the reason Aranda is enjoying success with offense this year, and has a tremendous resume of proven effectiveness running his wide zone scheme (even via shotgun and pistol with big passing attack off of it).

We're in the big ten. I hate but if this is our fate, then we must be able to run the ball and play defense. His run scheme works because he actually knows how to coach linemen to execute zone boxing properly. Our offense should help our defense, not place unnecessary pressure on it like ours currently does. Also helps with ball security. As much as I love the option, that is a concern even in a good option offense.

We could hire him and even retain Chins if he was willing. Probably a better gig to stay here than think he could go elsewhere, and his defensive scheme would work much better with an offense that also serves defense by playing keep away. Overall could be a decent money value proposition.
https://wacotrib.com/sports/college...cle_b391a808-5824-11eb-a7a8-cf591d5af181.html

Dan Lanning at Georgia (from North kansas City, MO) - 3rd season at Georgia. Only 35 years old. Likely someone that will grow into being a head coach in the coming years but should NOT be a candidate to replace Scott Frost. Lack of experience, way too young from a leadership perspective, etc, etc.

Brent Pry at PSU - been with Franklin for about 7 or 8 years as his DC. For some reason people don't talk about him as a head coaching candidate if Franklin left. From PA. Only 51 years old. No clue if he wants to be a P5 head coach or not.

Jim Knowles at Oklahoma State - was at Duke for eons. Not someone I'd look at replacing Scott Frost.

Jeff Grimes at Baylor. Sneaky good resume. Was the OL coach at a few P5 schools. Was the OC at BYU for a few seasons and now OC at Baylor. If we hired a P5 coordinator, he would be my #1 choice. From Texas. Played OL in college. Only 53 years old.

Josh Gattis at Michigan - only 37 years old. Been coaching at P5 jobs the last several years (PSU, MI, and Alabama). From North Carolina. We played MI so people know what he runs.

Brad White at kentucky - spent several years with the Colts. been with Stoops the last few years now. Young guy.

Levar Woods at Iowa - he isn't a bad coach but not sure why the author put him on this list.
ARB went maybe braindead when he posted this, but if we move on, this is the avenue we need to go.

I don't want some slapnut already ingrained into who or what they are. I want a dude to build his own legacy with his own thoughts and vision.

Would not be against that at all. His impact at BYU and Baylor were notable.

Would not be against that at all. His impact at BYU and Baylor were notable.
For sure. If we're gonna return to greatness, it's not gonna be due to some killer QB, RB, but it'll be the oline. We need a coach whose a damn DUDE I'm that department. Oline and tes. We have talent at both, just need coaching...

Reactions: Sinomatic
You pay coaches to perform and demand accountability, not BS excuses. "Oh, he was hurt, "Oh we didn't expect to see that defensive front"
"Oh, this guy isn't ready yet"
"Oh, we didn't teach them to do that"
"oh he didn't kick it where we told him"

And on and on and on.

OWN IT FROST. OWN THE RESULTS!
Dude, I am starting to miss "point the thumb"

Wow and after just one year he was able to recognize the deficiencies and proactively made changes.

That's a giant PLUS in my book.
definitely a plus.

I will say, after watching them against Okie Lite in person, I was less than impressed. defense was pretty stiff but offense looked familiarly frustrating

That would be surprising, IMO, but a very smart move. Mel is legit.

Meh, I would pump the brakes on stating Mel is legit, its just too early. His 7-0 this season could be a smoke and mirrors type of deal as they havent played anyone with a pulse yet.
Add to that he got blown out by Indiana, and tOSU last year..
I would wait and see how he does vs Mich and Tosu this year before I start saying Mel is legit yet.

he wont be spending he early part of the season playing Northern Iowa and Kansas either.

Campbell will regress heavily when competing against teams that play a similar style to his.

> great coordinator at LSU
> no way compared to Pelini

please tell me you're not that dumb.

you're right, i'm not one of you because i'm not emotionally unhinged. i also don't relish in the temporary high of firing a coach then wondering why we can't seem to build any momentum. it was fun after Pelini and Riley but now i'm just tired of it. Frost deserves another year at minimum. firing Austin and Verduzco should buy him at least another year. if in year 5 its the same story, then i'll freely admit he needs to go.

i'm willing to grant a longer leash than usual when he inherited an absolute dumpster fire of a program that would only become an even bigger dumpster fire if he were fired today.

because you know what happens if he is fired? we effectively become a stepping stone stone school. we've admitted to the country that we are so incapable of success that when we do get a guy that reels off a decent winning season, other AD's say "wow, if he did that at Nebraska, imagine what he could do here!"

i hate losing, yesterday sucked. but if that was a necessary step and learning lesson for Frost to close the gap and grow as a coach then i'll take it.

LOLOL ^^^^
Frost deserves another year minimum?
Please point out to me one single coach that started off their career at at P5 school with 4 straight losing seasons...and becamse a good to great coach in the last 30 years...just ONE...

You wont find one. Good to great coaches show themselves by year 4 and a lot of times prior to year 4, they dont start off with 4 straight losing seasons.
Giving Frost another year is just delaying the inevitable.

There has to be something wrong with the Culture in Austin and Univ of Texas in particular for such crappy results within the nations best talent hotbed and massive unparralled nations best resources.
They may have massive resources, but they dont have the best hot bed of talent. I think TX talent can be a bit overrated to be honest.
I mean TX gets the cream of the crop in talent yet...3 National Championships in their entire history?
While the State of Florida has shared the states talent between 3 teams that have 11 national titles between them?
I mean FLA has far and away better talent than TX does, and the GA area probably outdoes them as well. and maybe even other places.
I think because of the massive resources and coaching at the HS level in TX, Tx kids may have lower ceilings and projections because they are already developed a good level by the time they are SR's in HS, so you dont get much more out of them ceiling wise once they get to College. Of course that is just my opinion and I could be wrong...
But only 3 nattys since 1970 compared to 11 nattys from the FLA teams doesnt scream to me that TX has more talent than FLA...Not even close...

I would think dave aranda would be lsu bound..
I did'nt follow the whole baylor rape stuff...but when you hear aranda speak, he sounds more like a morals coach then a football coach...which maybe thats what was needed.
seems like a decent guy, can't argue with his success.....I'm for giving frost time, but if bigger wigs decide change is happening, we could do worse then aranda

to me texas's main problem is the have too many rich alum who want the coach to be their buddy and take suggestions, but will can their ass if they have a bad season.

mack brown seems to be able to coach and socialize...but I think texas would do alot better if they just left a good coach alone for 5 years with the talent they get.

but then I don't mind texas losing so I like the big wigs down there having their coach run every which way...
I'm a big proponent of a ut coaching carousel. I'd like to see oklahoma fire their coach more frequently too...
my houston cougars are coming and there will be hell to pay

Last edited:
Doubt Aranda gets a serious look at the LSU job. LSU is trying to go big name. If they fail at that then Aranda might get a look.

They may have massive resources, but they dont have the best hot bed of talent. I think TX talent can be a bit overrated to be honest.
I mean TX gets the cream of the crop in talent yet...3 National Championships in their entire history?
While the State of Florida has shared the states talent between 3 teams that have 11 national titles between them?
I mean FLA has far and away better talent than TX does, and the GA area probably outdoes them as well. and maybe even other places.
I think because of the massive resources and coaching at the HS level in TX, Tx kids may have lower ceilings and projections because they are already developed a good level by the time they are SR's in HS, so you dont get much more out of them ceiling wise once they get to College. Of course that is just my opinion and I could be wrong...
But only 3 nattys since 1970 compared to 11 nattys from the FLA teams doesnt scream to me that TX has more talent than FLA...Not even close...
3 national championships?

I don’t understand, “did not achieve the success he should have.”
What success should he have experienced? The last 4 years of the Mack Brown era, (2010-2013) Texas was 31-20, .589 winning percentage and a losing season in 2010, (5-7). In 4 years, 2017-2020, Tom Herman went 32-20, .640 winning percentage and 4 bowl wins. The .640 winning percentage is the second best since 1987 for Texas. David McWilliams (1987-1991) 31-26, .544.
John Mackovic (1992-1997) 41-28, .592. Charlie Strong (2014-2016) 16-21, .433. Mack Brown has by far the best winning percentage.767, (158-48), but again his last four years were subpar. Charlie Strong was a nightmare and Tom Herman got things back on track and even surpassed Mack Brown’s last 4 years.
While he did not exceed the Texas fans expectations, it is generally accepted that their expectations are unrealistic. Many coaches, including Saban, have not shown an interest in the Texas job due to the unreal expectations of the administration and fans.
I think Tom Herman has the potential to do great things at Nebraska.
He couldnt beat OU..thats a big part of it

Kalen DeBoer now at Fresno State might be an interesting outside the box hire. Very successful as a head coach at the lower level and his offenses have been successful wherever he's been.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT