ADVERTISEMENT

New Poll - who do you want to replace Scott Frost.

New list - who do you want to replace Scott Frost

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
USC head honchos were seen watching the Iowa State game together in a group. That is the short version of a much longer detailed post about it from a USC media person at the ND game tonight.

Matt Campbell to USC would be incredibly interesting. I bet he could win big there.

Reactions: BleedRed78
They may have massive resources, but they dont have the best hot bed of talent. I think TX talent can be a bit overrated to be honest.
I mean TX gets the cream of the crop in talent yet...3 National Championships in their entire history?
While the State of Florida has shared the states talent between 3 teams that have 11 national titles between them?
I mean FLA has far and away better talent than TX does, and the GA area probably outdoes them as well. and maybe even other places.
I think because of the massive resources and coaching at the HS level in TX, Tx kids may have lower ceilings and projections because they are already developed a good level by the time they are SR's in HS, so you dont get much more out of them ceiling wise once they get to College. Of course that is just my opinion and I could be wrong...
But only 3 nattys since 1970 compared to 11 nattys from the FLA teams doesnt scream to me that TX has more talent than FLA...Not even close...
Everybody and their brother recruits the state of Texas for high school talent. Ohio State's top 2 of 3 wide receivers came from Texas.

I will agree that UT has absolutely been outrecruited and has overvalued many of the players they've signed over the last 15+ years. https://highschoolfootballamerica.c...-most-nfl-players-on-kickoff-weekend-rosters/

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Everybody and their brother recruits the state of Texas for high school talent. Ohio State's top 2 of 3 wide receivers came from Texas.

I will agree that UT has absolutely been outrecruited and has overvalued many of the players they've signed over the last 15+ years. https://highschoolfootballamerica.c...-most-nfl-players-on-kickoff-weekend-rosters/
And In the last 10 years tosu has recruited 10more kids out of FLa than they have TX

The if u want to talk Bama and GA amd Clemson?

They are taking way more kids out of FLA than they are TX.

Yeah lots of teams are recruiting FLA kids as well, and most of the teams u see in the playoffs are taking more kids from FLA then they are from TX..

Sure they take a tx kid here and there, but they are talking more FLA kids..

And In the last 10 years tosu has recruited 10more kids out of FLa than they have TX

The if u want to talk Bama and GA amd Clemson?

They are taking way more kids out of FLA than they are TX.

Yeah lots of teams are recruiting FLA kids as well, and most of the teams u see in the playoffs are taking more kids from FLA then they are from TX..

Sure they take a tx kid here and there, but they are talking more FLA kids..
Not going to count Oklahoma then? 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 playoff appearances. Granted, they don't have any hardware to show for it (thankfully) but they have 46 Texas born players on their roster.

in all seriousness, Hugh Freeze
I'm fearful that Freeze's current success is tied to his luck in having a first round QB fall in his lap. For me there are only two names who will bring instant success.; Fickell and Kiffen.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Not going to count Oklahoma then? 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 playoff appearances. Granted, they don't have any hardware to show for it (thankfully) but they have 46 Texas born players on their roster.
A couple of things I will add to this. I am pretty much on your side of this discussion. However, like with most discussions on message boards, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. To make his point he probably undervalued Texas high school football as "overrated". And people from Texas, like you and I, probably over reacted to his critique of the football played in Texas. Texas has TCU, Tech, Texas and Baylor in the Big 12 and A&M in the SEC. Florida only has 3 P5 schools. Miami hasn't won a title since 2001, Florida got their 2 in 2006 and 2008, then Florida St got one in 2013. The remaining 7 were all won in prior to 2000.

OU, LSU, Arkansas and the Mississippi schools recruit Texas harder than the East schools and Alabama and Auburn do. That will change now that Texas and Oklahoma are SEC bound. Alabama has recruited Texas more the past few years though, their 2021 class had 7 kids from Texas and 7 kids from Florida.

I do agree with him that Texas high school players are closer to their ceiling when they leave high school. Where I disagree is that it is a negative. Schools from outside of Texas come into the state and are taking top players and many play as true freshman. They don't take the whole top 15, they don't need to though because the top schools get top players from most any state they want.

Why are people so high on Dave Aranda? Good record as a DC but as a head coach, the resume is a little lacking.

It's not like that has stopped us in the past from hiring underqualified candidates but you would hope at some point we would learn from our past mistakes...

Why are people so high on Dave Aranda? Good record as a DC but as a head coach, the resume is a little lacking.

It's not like that has stopped us in the past from hiring underqualified candidates but you would hope at some point we would learn from our past mistakes...
Okay who ya got?

Smart X's and O's guy, which is needed at Nebraska. Young. Previously coached in the Big Ten West. Highly respected among his peers. Proven to make changes right away if something is not working right among his staff. Has a damn good OC that could come with.

Will have built some connections in Texas high schools that could help bring in some Texas-based talent that doesn't go to the in-state schools and SEC schools.

He very well could win the Big 12 in his second year as a head coach.

Smart X's and O's guy, which is needed at Nebraska. Young. Previously coached in the Big Ten West. Highly respected among his peers. Proven to make changes right away if something is not working right among his staff. Has a damn good OC that could come with.

Will have built some connections in Texas high schools that could help bring in some Texas-based talent that doesn't go to the in-state schools and SEC schools.

There are several intangibles among coaches that we as fans aren't aware of. We probably are not going to get our first choice as coach, but some of the second tier choices might actually be better in the end. Aranda is a little bit under the radar. In the next two to three years his stock may take off.

Honestly, if we did go after him, it would be less of a head scratcher than the Riley hire but still he is unproven as a head coach.

What you said about Aranda is what we thought about SF. Offensive genius, young, connections in Florida, success in his second year....

Aranda's second season as HC isn't even finished. However, his stock would certainly be higher in my book if he won the Big 12.

Honestly, if we did go after him, it would be less of a head scratcher than the Riley hire but still he is unproven as a head coach.

What you said about Aranda is what we thought about SF. Offensive genius, young, connections in Florida, success in his second year....

Aranda's second season as HC isn't even finished. However, his stock would certainly be higher in my book if he won the Big 12.
Aranda vs Frost resumes are not comparable at all. Aranda is coaching at the P5 level already. Has more experience at the P5 level as a coordinator. Has already showin the willingness to make staff changes.

Aranda also operates as the CEO, not coordinator playing head coach.

Aranda vs Frost resumes are not comparable at all. Aranda is coaching at the P5 level already. Has more experience at the P5 level as a coordinator. Has already showin the willingness to make staff changes.

Aranda also operates as the CEO, not coordinator playing head coach.
I say let the season play out. For me, its too early to be so high on a second year HC.
TBH I'm not really interested in game highlights of them beating a sh*tty Texas team by a touchdown.

If Frost is let go at the end of the season, perhaps we are forced into a position to take a chance on a coach like Aranda. I suppose that's still better than keeping Frost. But Id prefer a coach with a longer successful track record as HC.

• Wow
I say let the season play out. For me, its too early to be so high on a second year HC.
TBH I'm not really interested in game highlights of them beating a sh*tty Texas team by a touchdown.

If Frost is let go at the end of the season, perhaps we are forced into a position to take a chance on a coach like Aranda. I suppose that's still better than keeping Frost. But Id prefer a coach with a longer successful track record as HC.
I'll decide between the winning head coach of the Baylor v Kansas State game. Kitty cats will go bowling this year. Klieman has won titles at ndsu. I think he knows how to run a program up and down. K-State is the least resourced team in the Big 12

Reactions: SkerInCo
If we took a chance on another G5 head coach, I'd take a serious look at the Fresno State head coach. I'm watching his game tonight against San Diego State, who is undefeated, and he is dominating them.

He is from the Nebraska/Dakota area.

I've cooled a lot on Jamey Chadwell the last couple of weeks. I'm not seeing the growth needed from his team in the last month. It seems like they peaked a few weeks ago when their WR had like 200 yards receiving.

If we go the G5 route, there is one name that I think could do well -

Kalen DeBoer

47. from south dakota.

77-8 record as a head coach. Currently 10-5 overall record at Fresno State.

2nd best winning percentage among active head coaches. Ryan Day is #1.

If we went the G5 route, Kalen would be my #1 target. I was watching him since the start of the season and wanted to see what he does this season before talking about him. He wins. Has his entire head coaching career regardless of level of competition.

Kalen DeBoer

47. from south dakota.

77-8 record as a head coach. Currently 10-5 overall record at Fresno State.

2nd best winning percentage among active head coaches. Ryan Day is #1.

If we went the G5 route, Kalen would be my #1 target. I was watching him since the start of the season and wanted to see what he does this season before talking about him. He wins. Has his entire head coaching career regardless of level of competition.

I know the offensive coordinator for Fresno State. Worked with his mom for awhile at a denture lab. The head coach wanted him but knew his young family couldn't afford California homes until making the money. So he put him up and made sure they were taken care of and could successfully transplant and contribute to success on the field.

Pretty cool imo for what it's worth.

I think he goes to USC, he's a California guy.

Didn’t know much about Baylor coach Dave Aranda
Watched his win over Texas and was intrigued on his team and comments afterwards
Seems to be a players coach
Young, good track record, and somebody at 45 Nebraska could build on for the long term and has successfully been a proven winner as a CEO of a major program, plus his contract is half of what Frost is making so if money talks he might listen

I'd be perfectly happy if we hired Bill O'Brien. I know he isn't perfect, but he had winning seasons at the Texans and coached a sanctioned PSU program to winning seasons. If he got hire away it means he was winning so I'd be fine with that.

I'd rather take a chance with Bill O'Brien than a Jamey Chadwell that has several major question marks.

I don't think Texas gave him a fair shot, but he's an offensive minded coach and think he could do a great job here. What concerns me most about him is the kissing the players thing was a bit weird. Herman wouldn't be a bad hire at all.
Texas sure didn’t get any better by firing him. Not yet at least.

Reactions: Minn1954
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT