ADVERTISEMENT

Did Dr. Tom Osborne replace Scott Frost when he fumbled the ball 30 times vs. ASU?

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
I remember being in the stands when they booed Frost at home and were calling for Frankie London to come in. Nebraska fans have had a long history of calling for the backup QB and it usually is not a good idea. Was it Curt Dukes for Jammal Lord?

The only time it seemingly had some merit was when Joe Ganz came in and lit up the scoreboards against weak Big XII defenses. But the guy he replaced had actually performed at a high level prior to coming to NU.

It's time to let Sims redeem himself against some cupcakes and maybe give HH a few QB runs and easy throws.

We didn't give up on Scott Frost when he scored 0 points against a team we put up 77 on the year before. He fumbled and bumbled and safetied the game away in the desert that night, but the coach didn't give up on him. He also had Ahman Green to hand the ball off to along with the pipeline blocking up front. Jeff Sims does not have that luxury. He has the Scott Frost coaching special pass protecting him and we need to cut him some slack.

We also need to keep in mind how hard the media is pushing this Deion Sanders "male Kardashians" narrative. There's a high probability some handlers came to Sims and dropped some cash off in a Louis Vutton bag telling him to "do what's best for the business."

We had to endure Mike Grant for a few games before Osborne relented and put in a qb who had almost no knowledge of the playbook but was a superior athlete, Tommie Frazier. Joe Ganz was an excellent qb who was probably as good at making progressions as any qb we've ever had.

Just because, for whatever reason, a guy makes it as the first string qb to start the season doesn't mean is forever the best qb for the team.

Maybe, just maybe, it was because SF did not have a two year history as one of the most, if not the most, turnover prone QBs in the country when they got thumped by ASU. SF had 5 interceptions in 12 games at Stanford in 1994. He had no Int's against Michigan State and none at ASU. And, SF had beaten Michigan State 55-14 the week before (granted 4 scores in that game came on 2 interception returns, a fumble return and a punt return, but that game was out of hand by half time). So, not even a little bit similar.

The whole cash in a Louis Vitton bag was interesting but then again I find it weird on every Sims interception how our receivers are falling down. Why?

We had to endure Mike Grant for a few games before Osborne relented and put in a qb who had almost no knowledge of the playbook but was a superior athlete, Tommie Frazier. Joe Ganz was an excellent qb who was probably as good at making progressions as any qb we've ever had.

Just because, for whatever reason, a guy makes it as the first string qb to start the season doesn't mean is forever the best qb for the team.
Great post

Every Nebraska fan should be hoping Haarberg starts on Sat, takes care of the ball and we win handily.

Then does it again the following week.

The snowball effect is real - both in good ways and bad. We’ll never see Sims again unless the people in charge have promises to keep.

If there’s a fan who’s not rooting for that exact outcome, they are merely a troll putting their own personal agenda ahead of what’s best for our Huskers.

....difference being that was still a championship-caliber team (obviously came up short that year) with a QB who WAS a national champion (and BTW ASU was phenomenal that year), whereas we have no chance of winning probably even 5 games this year. Frost 1996 bears NO COMPARISON, thus far, to what we've seen with Sims. Sims should be playing WR or Defense, PERIOD. He's NOT a D1 QB. He never will be. Ya can't teach intelligence. He may have the skills, but he doesn't have the awareness.

Frost didn't fumble all of those snaps, Aaron Taylor launched them clear over/past him.

As far as Jammal Lord, Dukes was one of the guys fans wanted so badly to start, but also Mike Stuntz, based mostly on a garbage time drive against Iowa State that didn't even result in points scored.

Last edited:
I remember being in the stands when they booed Frost at home and were calling for Frankie London to come in. Nebraska fans have had a long history of calling for the backup QB and it usually is not a good idea. Was it Curt Dukes for Jammal Lord?

The only time it seemingly had some merit was when Joe Ganz came in and lit up the scoreboards against weak Big XII defenses. But the guy he replaced had actually performed at a high level prior to coming to NU.

It's time to let Sims redeem himself against some cupcakes and maybe give HH a few QB runs and easy throws.

We didn't give up on Scott Frost when he scored 0 points against a team we put up 77 on the year before. He fumbled and bumbled and safetied the game away in the desert that night, but the coach didn't give up on him. He also had Ahman Green to hand the ball off to along with the pipeline blocking up front. Jeff Sims does not have that luxury. He has the Scott Frost coaching special pass protecting him and we need to cut him some slack.

We also need to keep in mind how hard the media is pushing this Deion Sanders "male Kardashians" narrative. There's a high probability some handlers came to Sims and dropped some cash off in a Louis Vutton bag telling him to "do what's best for the business."
I was at that game too. We were playing Central Florida and Duante Culpepper.

Of course the next week, Frost had his breakout game at Washington and away we went

Reactions: king_kong_
Frost didn't fumble all of those snaps, Aaron Taylor launched them clear over/past him.

As far as Jammal Lord, Dukes was one of the guys fans wanted so badly to start, but also Mike Stuntz, based mostly on a garbage time drive against Iowa State that didn't even result in points scored.
Aaron should have never been center he was way better at guard , for some reason milt felt better with Taylor at center but I believe heskew was the center for the bowl game and all of 1997

Reactions: HuskersNC
How the hell could anyone watch the last two games and come up with "we need to cut Jeff Sims some slack?"

Fans should want to win. That's the point. If the coach or AD want to make excuses about how it's just year 1 for them, fine. I'm an adult and I can live my life. But nah, I'm not going to watch a QB that is straight garbage and let anyone tell me that it's ok and he's the best we can do.

We're working on year SEVEN (7!!!!) of sub .500 and no bowl games. I'm not cutting anyone any slack.

Apples and oranges. As I recall a lot of people wanted Frost benched (including me because he took the safety) and he did get booed in Lincoln. However, a lot of people including many players DID NOT want him benched. He was a favorite son from Wood River whose mom was a NU track coach. Sims is a different story. He has history of a chronic turnover problem and has had two terrible games now. Aside from a few folks on this board, I have talked to virtually no one (friends, guys at gym, relatives) who wants him to start Saturday.

If he trots out to start Saturday and is booed I will not boo and will be ashamed of our fanbase. But I will be even more angry at the coaching staff for putting the fanbase in that position.

Last night Josh Allen of the Bills turned the ball over 4 times (3 ints. and 1 fumble) against the Jets who won the game. Will he be benched next week?

Last night Josh Allen of the Bills turned the ball over 4 times (3 ints. and 1 fumble) against the Jets who won the game. Will he be benched next week?
No he won’t. Any other dumb questions that are completely irrelevant to the Nebraska football program?

• Love
randy-g-pep-farm.gif
remember when fans were begging for Crouch …

OP wanted Newcombe over Crouch 🤣🤣

Last edited:
The same Josh Allen who dueled it out with Patrick Mahomes to go to the super bowl? 1st round pick Josh Allen? Yeah, that guy is actually good. He gets some slack.
He and his new OC aren’t quite working yet. I would bet they figure it out but Allen was a red zone turnover machine last year

Gus paraphrase and quote .....Hes got to take care of the ball. Sims drops back, throws........... "Holy SSSSSSShhhhh.........long pause..........(Ch)icago!!!

(makes a great GIF)

He and his new OC aren’t quite working yet. I would bet they figure it out but Allen was a red zone turnover machine last year
Josh Allen 2022 redzone stats:

31 total TD (25 passing), 5 INT, 1 fum lost

you're right. his 5 redzone INT led the league.

only thing Frost and Simms have in common is that neither of them could play QB at any level above college

Did Tom Cable replace Jamarcus Russell after going 5-10 in both their first years and after Jamarcus had an awful stat year too? No Cable didn’t. And we see how that ended?

Jamarcus is on his way to the HOF after bringing multiple ships to Oakland and Cable is the highest paid HC of all time. Oh wait, none of that is true. Jamarcus went on to have even a worse next year and considered to be top 5 worst QBs of all time. Cable never got another shot as HC and never will.

More examples of guys not getting benched and proven they should have vs guys who crawled out of it

And let’s stop comparing Rhule to Dr Tom ok. That’s an insult.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Aaron should have never been center he was way better at guard , for some reason milt felt better with Taylor at center but I believe heskew was the center for the bowl game and all of 1997
Yeah, I mean, he settled down some after that game and I think is the only guy to be named an All-American at two OL positions, so I don't want to be too hard on a legend, but man, that ASU game was a sh!tshow.

Reactions: Baxter48
Maybe, just maybe, it was because SF did not have a two year history as one of the most, if not the most, turnover prone QBs in the country when they got thumped by ASU. SF had 5 interceptions in 12 games at Stanford in 1994. He had no Int's against Michigan State and none at ASU. And, SF had beaten Michigan State 55-14 the week before (granted 4 scores in that game came on 2 interception returns, a fumble return and a punt return, but that game was out of hand by half time). So, not even a little bit similar.
No he played safety two years, he still passed like a safety two years later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT