ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Board posters, and who they may or not prefer for next Head Coach

I looked at 3 different threads that include posters mentioning who they would or would not like to see as the next head coach.

These will just be little snippets of their comments and are not intended to take those comments out of context.

There are about 15-20 guys who have expressed preferences one way or the other. Many were not chosen simply because I have several of them on "Ignore" and don't pay attention to anything they post.

The 3 threads I used were: Coaching rumor, Hugh Freeze, and Keep MJ as head coach.

Not in any particular order and IF I do mischaracterize something you posted, and I have misread it, feel free to clarify what your post said.

Again, I only used a snippet of some of the more lengthy posts.

We should all be in agreement that none of us know for sure what Trev's final decision will be. Every one of us is entitled to change our choice,
or our opinions as new information on coaches and situations change.

dingle: BOB and Mickey. BOB makes the most sense. Aranda doesn't make sense.

konaki: Mickey.

tinmsun: Non-committed.

Chuck003: Non-committed but not Mickey. Did mention Aranda. Lane top of his list.

dan84: Not Doeren. He would be a "give up" hire. Not for Prime, Doeren, Lane, Freeze, or Leach.

scarletred: For Aranda. Prefers Aranda over Campbell, LL or Klieman.
Lane Kiffin is high on his list. BOB needs to be considered.

leodis: Doeren would be an awful hire.

headcard: Would love Aranda if he brings OC and OL coaches with him. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing. Likes Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB.

HuskerDres: Hugh Freeze, also Dykes at TCU.

TheHuskerFreak: Freeze should be a strong candidate.

Sinomatic: Hugh Freeze. This guy wins! NO to BOB. Prefers Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ.

MetrixHusker: Freeze should be on the list.

hephusker. Prefers someone besides BOB, but would take him.

mgbreis: Mickey is the popular choice. But mgbreis doesn't elaborate.

Recruiting: MJ is not qualified to be the HC here.

Pennsy: MJ would really be a good head coach. But, he doesn't endorse him. Would love Lane.

Laner2: Barney Cotton. There I said it!

Mack In Motion: Meyer. Then Kiffin, then MJ. Hard pass on BOB.

littlespeedhuskerfan. Predicts it will be Chadwell.

Frozone: 1 Kiffin, 2 Leipold, 3 Aranda. Would be okay with BOB or Klieman.
Delirious if it were Meyer or Peterson. NO to Campbell.

flatout24: The list of coaches he does NOT want include LL, Klieman, Campbell, Fleck, Leach.

Bleed78: Meyer, Kiffin, Freeze, Fickle and MJ. Honorable mention to Chadwell and Grimes.

Baxter 48: Not sold on BOB. Any assistant coach hired should be Mickey.
Meyer and Kiffin are not coming. Would love Whittingham.

moralvictories: In order: Meyer, Freeze, Briles, Ruhle, Kiffin, Aranda, BOB,
Whittingham, Klieman, Campbell or Chryst.

Husker Sledge: Meyer, Aranda, BOB, Lane or MJ. Thinks it will be BOB.

itseasy: I could support Mickey, BOB, and Lane. I believe ANY of these 3 could find large success at NU if the following steps are taken:
1. Fire Duval and bring it a proven strength, speed, and conditioning expert;
2. Reduce the overall squad size to 110 players;
3. Spend $ 5 million dollars total for top OC/DC/DL coaches. Retain Mickey if not HC as well as Applewhite, Beckton, and Busch.
4. Use as much NIL money as possible to upgrade aspects of the weak position groups:
5. Be aggressive in the portal for available big bodies that are proven, producers. Emphasize JUCO kids that are potential Day 1 starter.

Feel free to correct any rare mistake I may have made in this thread. LOL
Matt Entz the ND St coach. Chris Klieman the previous Bison coach may already have forgotten how to run power football from the I. And Entz is a proven winner.

If it is MJ, he will need to be in a bowl game or at least 5 wins. I would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to his and Trev's conversations about the job. I would also love to know who he would consider for the 2 coordinators' positions as well as the recruiting coordinator.

If it is a BigXII coach I think it will be Leipold. He has previous experience at the university and knows how to play call and win in the midwest. He has an eye for talent and would likely keep MJ on staff.

The only other person I believe that makes sense is BoB. He knows how to win in the B1G, understands the culture of coaching in the midwest, and can recruit as proven at PSU. I have not watched any Bama games so I can not comment on his play calling. He is a no-nonsense person and will get the kids to perform.

I have no preference as to which 3 get it because no matter how well you attempt to predict the outcome, it never materializes that way. My emotional side is pulling for MJ because of his love of NU and the way the players relate to him. My business side says BoB because of previous success in the B1G. My analytical side says Lance because of his success in D3 and he has won everywhere he has gone. Any of the three should be successful, but my crystal ball is in the shop getting repaired, it has no landing gear...
I added you to the list Husker OH. (Also, those that I added all went to the bottom of the list, so don't feel slighted).

1. Haven’t studied candidates hard enough, but after my early obsession with Aranda, I now lean more towards BOB.
Very impressed with Leipold, my question is recruiting.

2. Would be very happy with Fickell, Stoops,
Rhule, Aranda and maybe Freeze, Kiffin, Kleiman, Mullen - but my gut is telling me they’re less realistic for varied reasons.
I’m a pretty hard NO on the Chadwell or Calhoun choices.

3. Then there’s MJ. I’m rooting for him, but if I strip away his alma mater tag, I think the risk might be too big with him if we want any chance at immediate success. Also want to know the level of assistants he could bring aboard (e.g. could he somehow get his brother Vance to come?). I’m also ok with rolling the dice, just hard to objectively say he’s our best path forward beyond some stability/continuity/recruiting and feel good story.

4. When it comes to the most realistic hires, I’m looking at BOB hopefully keeping MJ on staff.
I do not think we have great odds of keeping MJ at all if he’s not the head coach.

5. Others have said it, but I’m reasonably confident in saying anyone Trev picks is gonna be an upgrade. Our bar sunk very, very low.
Will add your comments shortly.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Vance Joseph for HC and defensive coordinator. Whipple stays as OC and Mickey coaches WR. Fire everybody else except Bill Busch.

Reactions: bshirt73
IMO you should follow up by doing a voting poll of the top mentioned candidates. Obviously fan opinion will have no bearing on the decision but that would be fun to see.

Reactions: BleedRed78
IMO you should follow up by doing a voting poll of the top mentioned candidates. Obviously fan opinion will have no bearing on the decision but that would be fun to see.
RedCap, I'll probably give this till tomorrow since some of the regular posters haven't weighed in yet, or maybe they just choose not to. I just want to give everyone a chance to weigh in since we fans are not involved in the hiring.

I think if I do it will be a list of a single coach that someone would like as the new HC,

Maybe something like (hypothetical: BOB has 12 mentions, 8 for and 4 against, something like that. Lane mentioned 8 times with 7 for and 1 against).

I am curious if people are giving their wish list...or who they think it will actually be... and if they had to bet an amount of money that would sting to lose .. as those are two different animals....cause my wish list starts with Urban and Lane....but who do you think it will actually be???

I am curious if people are giving their wish list...or who they think it will actually be... and if they had to bet an amount of money that would sting to lose .. as those are two different animals....cause my wish list starts with Urban and Lane....but who do you think it will actually be???
lite, I did this with 3 threads in order to put everyone in the same thread. My intention was to add any poster choice that I could find within those threads.

I didn't want to set any rules like, "only your top choice and 2nd choice" because the temperature on several coaches has changed in the last few weeks.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna try to give the best overall picture from the names that were mentioned as HC potentials.

What would probably be just as interesting as another “who do want” poll is a “who do you think Trev will hire” poll.
Since I have lots of time, maybe next Sunday I will do something like the "who do you think Trev will hire", and limit it to ONE coach. I think the responses will be pretty limited though.

During the week things have been very slow on this board. Next Saturday the Huskers play and I don't want to interfere with the runup to the game.

I looked at 3 different threads that include posters mentioning who they would or would not like to see as the next head coach.

These will just be little snippets of their comments and are not intended to take those comments out of context.

There are about 15-20 guys who have expressed preferences one way or the other. Many were not chosen simply because I have several of them on "Ignore" and don't pay attention to anything they post.

The 3 threads I used were: Coaching rumor, Hugh Freeze, and Keep MJ as head coach.

Not in any particular order and IF I do mischaracterize something you posted, and I have misread it, feel free to clarify what your post said.

Again, I only used a snippet of some of the more lengthy posts.

We should all be in agreement that none of us know for sure what Trev's final decision will be. Every one of us is entitled to change our choice,
or our opinions as new information on coaches and situations change.

dingle: BOB and Mickey. BOB makes the most sense. Aranda doesn't make sense.

konaki: Mickey.

tinmsun: Non-committed.

Chuck003: Non-committed but not Mickey. Did mention Aranda. Lane top of his list.

dan84: Not Doeren. He would be a "give up" hire. Not for Prime, Doeren, Lane, Freeze, or Leach.
(Added) The original list included Urban, Fickell, Aranda.

scarletred: For Aranda. Prefers Aranda over Campbell, LL or Klieman.
Lane Kiffin is high on his list. BOB needs to be considered.

leodis: Doeren would be an awful hire. (Added) Urban or MJ. Also on board for the Lane Train or Whittingham.

headcard: Would love Aranda if he brings OC and OL coaches with him. Kiffin, Stoops, Ruhle would be amazing. Likes Aranda and could probably get on board with BOB.

HuskerDrew: Hugh Freeze, also Dykes at TCU.

TheHuskerFreak: Freeze should be a strong candidate.

Sinomatic: Hugh Freeze. This guy wins! NO to BOB. Prefers Meyer, Freeze, Fickell, Lane or MJ.

MetrixHusker: Freeze should be on the list.

hephusker. Prefers someone besides BOB, but would take him.

mgbreis: Mickey is the popular choice. But mgbreis doesn't elaborate.

Recruiting: MJ is not qualified to be the HC here.

Pennsy: MJ would really be a good head coach. But, he doesn't endorse him. Would love Lane.

Laner2: Barney Cotton. There I said it!

Mack In Motion: Meyer. Then Kiffin, then MJ. Hard pass on BOB.

littlespeedhuskerfan: Predicts it will be Chadwell.

Frozone: 1 Kiffin, 2 Leipold, 3 Aranda. Would be okay with BOB or Klieman.
Delirious if it were Meyer or Peterson. NO to Campbell.

flatout24: The list of coaches he does NOT want include LL, Klieman, Campbell, Fleck, Leach.

Bleed78: Meyer, Kiffin, Freeze, Fickle and MJ. Honorable mention to Chadwell and Grimes.

Baxter 48: Not sold on BOB. Any assistant coach hired should be Mickey.
Meyer and Kiffin are not coming. Would love Whittingham.

moralvictories: In order: Meyer, Freeze, Briles, Ruhle, Kiffin, Aranda, BOB,
Whittingham, Klieman, Campbel,l or Chryst.

Husker Sledge: Meyer, Aranda, BOB, Lane or MJ. Thinks it will be BOB.

Husker OH: If it's a Big XII coach he prefers Leopold. Feels that BOB makes
sense. His emotional side is pulling for Mickey. His analytical side say,s Lance. He feels any of the 3 should be successful, yet cautions because his landing gear is in repair.

HominidHusker: Leans towards BOB. Impressed with LL, but questions his recruiting. Ruhle, Aranda, maybe Freeze, Kiffin, Klieman, Mullen but feels these are less realistic. Hard NO on Chadwell or Calhoun types. Rooting for Mickey but thinks the risk might be too big to have immediate success. Most realistic hire is BOB.

BuckysBoy1: Vance Joseph as HC and DC.

mikecanale: "I think it's Aranda if he wants it."

TripleOption67: Meyer, Kiffin, Aranda, Whittingham, Clawson, Leipold.
Hell NO to O'Brien!

itseasy: I could support Mickey, BOB, and Lane. I believe ANY of these 3 could find large success at NU if the following steps are taken:
1. Fire Duval and bring it a proven strength, speed, and conditioning expert;
2. Reduce the overall squad size to 110 players;
3. Spend $ 5 million dollars total for top OC/DC/DL coaches. Retain Mickey if not HC as well as Applewhite, Beckton, and Busch.
4. Use as much NIL money as possible to upgrade aspects of the weak position groups:
5. Be aggressive in the portal for available big bodies that are proven, producers. Emphasize JUCO kids that are potential Day 1 starter.

Feel free to correct any rare mistake I may have made in this thread. LOL
I stay away from coaching search threads because every name gets brought up at some point and every coach gets kicked off the list every time they lose and then put back on the next time they win.

That said:

Marlow: Sandy Buda

YES: Meyer, Klieman, Leipold, Freeze

MEH: Campbell, Aranda

ABSOLUTELY NOT: O'Brien, Rhule, any service academy coach

also, whoever said Vance Joseph is a certified pervert

I would like to see hired any of the following. Meyer...Fickell...Petersen....Kiffin....Freeze... my second tier would be Aranda...Leipold....O Brien.

At first I was all in on Meyer then I wanted Pittman then I wanted Leipold but I was forgetting who I should have been rooting for all along. I want Mickey Joseph for several reasons, 1. He truly loves the state of Nebraska and the University. 2. Joseph is a players coach his players do indeed love the guy and will play hard for him. 3. Joseph can recruit with the best of them especially down south. 4. Mickey Joseph, it's not all about the money with him. Joseph has a special place in his heart for Nebraska always has always will.

Mickey Joseph does have experience even as a HC.

Langston[edit]​

From 2011 to 2013, 13-7 and 4-1 conference record while head coach at Langston University.[13] Joseph had been an assistant coach for the Lions from 2008 to 2011.

Alcorn State[edit]​

In 2013, Joseph was the assistant head coach/wide receivers coach and special teams coordinator at Alcorn State.

Grambling State[edit]​

In 2014 and 2015, Joseph served as the wide receivers coach and special teams coordinator at Grambling State.

Louisiana Tech[edit]​

On January 15, 2016, Joseph was hired as the running backs coach for Louisiana Tech and coached the 2016 season at that position.[14]

LSU[edit]​

On February 7, 2017, Joseph was named wide receivers coach at LSU.[15] In 2020, Joseph received the additional title of assistant head coach at LSU.[16]

I'm not saying Joseph will most likely be the next HC at Nebraska, nobody really knows for sure, I just think he deserves a chance to see what he can build. All the other candidates will be about money (hired guns) and ego with some, that's not the case with Joseph.

At first I was all in on Meyer then I wanted Pittman then I wanted Leipold but I was forgetting who I should have been rooting for all along. I want Mickey Joseph for several reasons, 1. He truly loves the state of Nebraska and the University. 2. Joseph is a players coach his players do indeed love the guy and will play hard for him. 3. Joseph can recruit with the best of them especially down south. 4. Mickey Joseph, it's not all about the money with him. Joseph has a special place in his heart for Nebraska always has always will.

Langston[edit]​

From 2011 to 2013, 13-7 and 4-1 conference record while head coach at Langston University.[13] Joseph had been an assistant coach for the Lions from 2008 to 2011.

Alcorn State[edit]​

In 2013, Joseph was the assistant head coach/wide receivers coach and special teams coordinator at Alcorn State.

Grambling State[edit]​

In 2014 and 2015, Joseph served as the wide receivers coach and special teams coordinator at Grambling State.

Louisiana Tech[edit]​

On January 15, 2016, Joseph was hired as the running backs coach for Louisiana Tech and coached the 2016 season at that position.[14]

LSU[edit]​

On February 7, 2017, Joseph was named wide receivers coach at LSU.[15] In 2020, Joseph received the additional title of assistant head coach at LSU.[16]

I'm not saying Joseph will most likely be the next HC at Nebraska, nobody really knows for sure, I just think he deserves a chance to see what he can build. All the other candidates will be about money (hired guns) and ego with some, that's not the case with Joseph.
I added an additional comment to your earlier choice of Mickey.

Reactions: konaki
I stay away from coaching search threads because every name gets brought up at some point and every coach gets kicked off the list every time they lose and then put back on the next time they win.

That said:

Marlow: Sandy Buda
Isn’t he dead?

Langston[edit]​

Alcorn State[edit]​

Grambling State[edit]​

Louisiana Tech[edit]​

LSU[edit]​

Looks like a rising star….

In the process of doing that Red. The top choices are: Lane (9), Urban (8)
Freeze (4), O'Brien (3), Mickey (3), Aranda (3).

In addition, Lane was named 4 times as the 2nd choice.

Freeze was named 5 times as the 2nd choice.

O'Brien was named 7 times as he would be okay if the person's top choice were not selected. He also received "3 Hell NO to O'Brien" comments.

Fickle was 6 times named the 2nd choice, usually behind Meyer, Lane, Freeze.

There were actually 26 different coaches mentioned. Of that group, only 10 coaches received a post for being the top choice.

The other 16 were not selected but primarily received negative comments from the guys. When I recap, I'll include those coaches and comments.

There's nothing scientific about how I'm going to compile these, just trying to get an overall picture of what the room has posted on the subject.

ADVERTISEMENT