ADVERTISEMENT

Nebrasketball @ St John's

I didn't get to watch the whole game but every time I saw them put up a 3 it went in. I was surprised when I looked up the stats. I would have figured they had shot it much better than that. That said, we were terrible from the field. I'm hoping St Johns is better than we think and there D was all that was wrong for us cuz we looked putrid.
St. John's has some athletic players to be sure, but the Huskers' on-ball defense absolutely sucked out loud. Then you throw in the fact that Tschimanga played 11 minutes and Okeke played 9, and the Johnnies pretty much had an open invitation to the rim. When that happens, a lot of teams are going to drop 80 points on you. If St. John's had actually shot the ball well, it would have been 100.

Jordy can't play vs teams that have athletic bigs. He just can't
Watson is a really good player but sadly he can't defend guards that are fast
Roby, not sure why this guy is such a fan favorite. I really think he needs to be in an up-down offense
Copeland is just so torn up from wear and tear on his body.

Attended the game. A very winnable game that would have come in handy down the road. This team has more talent than I’ve seen. But this team has no offensive ball movement. No system at all that I can tell.

Palmer is a hell of a player. Copeland has great size and can move for his size. Watson has shown how good he can be. Allen can shoot. Evan Taylor has nice athleticism. Jordy is a nice big body.

Yet somehow this team looks so disjointed.

Ugh.
So its coaching?

So its coaching?
Offensive design and/or a lack of perimeter shooters. Allen is hurt and barely played. Watson was in foul trouble early and barely played and Gill stunk it up from 3. Allen is our best pure shooter it appears to me and if we could keep Allen and Watson on the floor we have a shot with the other pieces. Bobby Knight would win 20+ with this team and I don't care for Bobby Knight.

Reactions: chicolby
Offensive design and/or a lack of perimeter shooters. Allen is hurt and barely played. Watson was in foul trouble early and barely played and Gill stunk it up from 3. Allen is our best pure shooter it appears to me and if we could keep Allen and Watson on the floor we have a shot with the other pieces. Bobby Knight would win 20+ with this team and I don't care for Bobby Knight.
I have supported Miles from the get go, and even when I thought the bottom fell out with the Morrow and Jacobsen departures, I was tentatively OK with another year considering the talent that was still on the team. But I have to believe there are 30-40 other coaches that could win more games with this talent. Maybe there are 50 more. The question is, can they get the same level of talent that Miles has gotten, we found out that's not so easy either.

Anyone know if UCF has a good bb coach? Maybe we can do a bundle.

Johnny Dawkins - decent coach, much better coach than Miles. Played for and coached under Coach K for a long time. Made a Sweet 16 and won 2 NITs at Stanford. Took UCF to the NIT semis last year.

Northwestern broke their curse by hiring a Coach K disciple. Maybe we should go after Jon Scheyer - I guarantee our shooting would improve.

Before you put too much into this one game, SJ's back court is one of the best in the country - certainly the fastest. Both will probably play in the NBA. I said before the game we'd have a tough time guarding them. Very few are going to shut them down completely this year, other than catch them on a bad night. And the rest of the team has become very good at following those two when they drive to the basket for put back opportunities when post defenders try to block shots. Unless you catch SJ on a bad night and frustrate them, you are going to have to score in the 70s to 80s to beat them. The fella's defensive issues weren't any worse than most teams will fare against SJ this year on that end -at least until they got their dobbers down the last ten minutes. It was our ineptitude on offense that beat us. Hopefully, they get back to work and figure out how to score more than 56 points in a night. Days of grinding down most teams to a 50 point game are over, I think. No one plays that way anymore (other than WI maybe). Miles has to get them going offensively - and it isn't like they didn't get some good open shots, either. They just seem snakebit on the shooting end since, well, how long has Miles been the coach?

Amazing that St Johns is all alone in the cellar of the Big East with all their speed, length and can't-miss 3 pt shooting.
They looked awfully good against us and we looked just plain awful in that game. That might have been the game that Miles losing every year that he shouldn't....er maybe that was UCF... We've got a decent team with the most talent we've had in a long long time. NCAA or bust this year. Purdue and MSt are both going to be high seeds. Based on what I've seen us do lately, I don't think there's any reason we shouldn't make the NCAA barring an injury to Glynn Watson. He's the one guy we absolutely can't afford to lose followed closely by Copeland and Palmer.

Purdue is a terrible matchup for us and there is no shame in today's loss. We have had some decent starts before, Miles needs to figure out how to get the team peaking down the stretch as opposed to the annual flame out. We will see how it plays out.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Purdue is a terrible matchup for us and there is no shame in today's loss. We have had some decent starts before, Miles needs to figure out how to get the team peaking down the stretch as opposed to the annual flame out. We will see how it plays out.
The thing I like is that the guys seem to playing better as the season goes on and we've got WAY more offensive fire power than Miles has ever had. Instead of 1-2 guys who can create their own shot, we've got 4-5. Watson, Palmer, Copeland, Allen, Roby, +/-Gill and Taylor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT