ADVERTISEMENT

Pass the ball!

timnsun

Head Coach
Jan 25, 2008
I know that a lot of you were upset with our offensive coordinator for throwing the ball too much… I agree in part, in that, if you run the ball, you wear them down. I was OK with the extra passing yesterday, because we need to see what we had in live games with HH. Can he make those throws when we need them? You have to practice that too, and not just in practice, but in games. We had the game in control, for the most part, thanks to our defense. The extra passing Was helpful so that HH can be more confident as well. Just my thoughts.

Did he complete a deep pass?
No. Had a guy open on one and wrong shouldered him. He lofted it though and there might have been swirling enough to affect the ball. Overthrew Tommy Hill on another and it was too far to the sideline. Same possible scenario though. It’s impossible to say what the wind was like at the level those passes were thrown at. It sure as hell was affecting punts. Flags in the north end were blowing straight towards him.

We are not good enough on OL to be one-dimensional (run only).
We will have to be competent in the passing game to continue to win.
I was very pleased with Haarberg’s throws.
I didn’t mind the overthrow to Hill because it was close enough to be scary for a defense… he can hit that eventually with his strong arm. Practice those deep throws.

I want to see more medium distance throws, quick slants, and maybe even a back shoulder throw or two on the sideline or in the end zone.

If we can spread defenses out a little better, the offense will start humming (as far as OL takes em).

No. Had a guy open on one and wrong shouldered him. He lofted it though and there might have been swirling enough to affect the ball. Overthrew Tommy Hill on another and it was too far to the sideline. Same possible scenario though. It’s impossible to say what the wind was like at the level those passes were thrown at. It sure as hell was affecting punts. Flags in the north end were blowing straight towards him.
Hill is too slow. The throw was fine.

I don't care if we ever pass if we're moving the ball on the ground. I watched CSU pound Buffy into submission only to stop and start passing. Why ? Drive stalled. CU got ball back and scored. I think most Husker fans never want to quit the run in crucial moments if it's been working. We can handle a loss if we get stopped but it's a long week if it was a interception.

I don't care if we pass or run but don't change it up for 3 plays in a row from what got your offense in scoring position in the first place. I watched this happen a lot this weekend from several OC's and almost every time the offense stalled.

I don't care if we ever pass if we're moving the ball on the ground. I watched CSU pound Buffy into submission only to stop and start passing. Why ? Drive stalled. CU got ball back and scored. I think most Husker fans never want to quit the run in crucial moments if it's been working. We can handle a loss if we get stopped but it's a long week if it was a interception.
I would rather practice passing against an overmatched opponent, so that when the day comes where our opponent shuts our rush down, we’ve at least worked on the passing as well. I absolutely agree that running the ball needs to be our identity, but I think against an overmatched opponent like this weekend, Figure out some things with the passing attack as well. It didn’t change the outcome of the game, and maybe, just maybe, HH will be more comfortable, throwing the ball down the road. When we need to throw.

I know that a lot of you were upset with our offensive coordinator for throwing the ball too much… I agree in part, in that, if you run the ball, you wear them down. I was OK with the extra passing yesterday, because we need to see what we had in live games with HH. Can he make those throws when we need them? You have to practice that too, and not just in practice, but in games. We had the game in control, for the most part, thanks to our defense. The extra passing Was helpful so that HH can be more confident as well. Just my thoughts.
I say run the ball. Neb’s WRs are below average and Fidone isn’t the “Johnny Mitchell” many of us made him out to be. Run the ball. A lot of RPO with HH. We will be fine. Receivers are often not open. Hard to fathom that 40 percent of Frost’s scholies went to WRs. And for those of you who want more of Malachi. Kid is not ready. Didn’t dominate in Lincoln HS fb…not ready to dominate in P5 college fb. An athlete that needs to be molded into a great fb player.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I say run the ball. Neb’s WRs are below average and Fidone isn’t the “Johnny Mitchell” many of us made him out to be. Run the ball. A lot of RPO with HH. We will be fine. Receivers are often not open. Hard to fathom that 40 percent of Frost’s scholies went to WRs. And for those of you who want more of Malachi. Kid is not ready. Didn’t dominate in Lincoln HS fb…not ready to dominate in P5 college fb. An athlete that needs to be molded into a great fb player.
We've got 122 carries vs 65 passes. We are running the ball. I’m not suggesting we stop running the ball.

But we will face some teams in conference play that will take away our running game. It’s going to happen. When that does, I want our QB to have gained experience throwing the ball so that he isn’t uncomfortable throwing it.

HH made a few ill advised throws that he got away with. It’s nice to have that on film so that he can improve on that against better defenses. He won’t get away with throwing into triple coverage in conference.

This game was in hand. It was good to throw the ball a bit so that he can learn. We will need it down the road. Our OLine isn’t good enough for us to pound the rock, passes be damned.

The problem is obvious. And it’s not specific to HH, but we cant rely on short passes and runs alone. Moving forward, we are going to have to be able to connect a few deep ones and more medium ones to keep defenses from crowding the line.
We tried a few of those and the receivers wouldn't get open. Either that or we had the wrong personnel on certain routes. For example, the deep route to Hill and he's too slow. And the deep pass to the left to Kemp but he's too small to even make a play at the ball.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
Didn't mind the play action on first down. They have do do something to loosen the D a little. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought they had some nice runs after they started doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
The Hill experience can’t end fast enough

Not our best corner and sucks on offense

Coleman needs those reps
I agree with this 100%. He might be a great athlete but he still has plenty to work on as a CB. And I have yet to remember him doing anything worthwhile on O. If he wants to score touchdowns then pick one off and run it back.

I used to watch a HC like that once upon a time...
Tom_osborne_blackshirt.gif

• Love
Reactions: Mrs HuskerHusaria
Didn't mind the play action on first down. They have do do something to loosen the D a little. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but it thought they had some nice runs after they started doing that.
I want to watch the replay, but I thought the play-actions were poorly executed. Seemed like the QB and the RB were nowhere near close enough to each other to hold the backers.

Maybe i will have a different opinion once I watch the replay.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT