ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs Illinois

If Nebraska were to continue winning 20-23 games per year, Miles would have a lifetime contract.
The B1G won't continue to play down to this level. But yes, in theory if you look at only this years win total, and nothing else... you would be correct

So maybe you can share the game plan with all of us? Please separate individual play from the official game plan. Thank you

dont take 8 sec to break the press and then spend another 8 or 10 seconds dribbling 35 ft from the hoop, putting zero pressure on the defense.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Is Watson a true point guard? If he isn't that's what is really lacking if he is then he's really inconsistent sometimes almost disappears and he's been in a shooting slump for a while now. Would really help to have another benny Parker type pg

So maybe you can share the game plan with all of us? Please separate individual play from the official game plan. Thank you
I would be making an assumption but would say what we saw was the game plan because no changes were made. If the players are executing the game keep on doing what you're doing.

Illinois is not a team that we or any NCAA tournament caliber team should have lost to. Can't believe the team doesn't know what the were playing for, but sure didn't get the effort of a must win game.

So either we aren't doing a very good job from the bench or the players aren't implementing what the bench wants. Either way, it was underwhelming effort.

Is Watson a true point guard? If he isn't that's what is really lacking if he is then he's really inconsistent sometimes almost disappears and he's been in a shooting slump for a while now. Would really help to have another benny Parker type pg

watson has basically turned into Benny. cant finish in the lane and cant shoot. Benny played better defense tho.

Reactions: TheNewNU
dont take 8 sec to break the press and then spend another 8 or 10 seconds dribbling 35 ft from the hoop, putting zero pressure on the defense.
Yup. We took the lead in the second half by attacking the basket. Not dribbling around.

We went from 38 points to 52 in 6 minutes. Then got stuck at 52 for 5.5 minutes.

Again...the better team won. Illinois pretty much won in Nebraska if not for a lucky shot by Palmer...why are people shocked at this loss?

Illinois is a bad match up for Nebraska because Nebraska doesn't have an inside guy.

easier said than done. Illinois played inspired basketball. Give Illinois some credit. They shut down Palmer and that's tough to do then the other 4 couldn't make them pay for collapsing on him by making 3s. Their D was outstanding but we still would have beat them with a better shooting night and a few less officiating breaks for them. That's basketball.

The B1G won't continue to play down to this level. But yes, in theory if you look at only this years win total, and nothing else... you would be correct
I think you are underestimating the B1G. I know that's the popular mantra by the media right now, but when I watch this league I see a TON of upper tier talent and the bottom teams getting better as the season goes on. I think the B1G is going to surprise some people in the post season.

I think you are underestimating the B1G. I know that's the popular mantra by the media right now, but when I watch this league I see a TON of upper tier talent and the bottom teams getting better as the season goes on. I think the B1G is going to surprise some people in the post season.

I think you're right about the B1G surprising some people in the postseason. I don't think it's as down as the media portrays it to be.

watson has basically turned into Benny. cant finish in the lane and cant shoot. Benny played better defense tho.
Having no good players on the team the past 2 years really made him look better than he was, with long athletic wings in Copeland Palmer and Roby he's proven exactly what he is, an undersized volume shooter that makes a lot of mental mistakes.

Reactions: cubsker

That is a fact that is hard to miss and one that confounds me and others but has nothing to do with the "game plan". Not every play a player makes or doesn't make is part of the game plan.

That is a fact that is hard to miss and one that confounds me and others but has nothing to do with the "game plan". Not every play a player makes or doesn't make is part of the game plan.
It has everything to do with the game plan IF A) it happens frequently, often or every game and/or B) is allowed to happen with out being corrected or without consequences.

Imo, bad decisions and undiscipline play if not dealt with becomes your game plan. And if so, you've lost control of your team.

Reactions: cubsker
Agreed. I think there's a bunch of teams trending in different directions

Linardi has Nebraska the last team listed in the “first 4 out” after the loss. FWIW.

Linardi has Nebraska the last team listed in the “first 4 out” after the loss. FWIW.

still think 3 wins puts us in the mix. it does seem like the bubble is pretty strong this year though.

still think 3 wins puts us in the mix. it does seem like the bubble is pretty strong this year though.
2 wins would make it tough for them to leave NU out. There would be a whole bunch of "splainin" to do if they left out a 22 win B1G team. I keep hearing about how great the Big 12 and the SEC is and how they're going to get 7 teams....then I watch them play and say huh?

2 wins would make it tough for them to leave NU out. There would be a whole bunch of "splainin" to do if they left out a 22 win B1G team. I keep hearing about how great the Big 12 and the SEC is and how they're going to get 7 teams....then I watch them play and say huh?

OU trying to play themselves out. TCU has to win some games to make it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
trae looks worn out.
Other teams are doing to him what they started doing to Watson this year for us and now they've starting trying to do it to Palmer. They just run as many defenders at him as they can and pummel him if he tries to take it to the hole. It really messed with Watson's mind and it's done the same to Young IMO.

The resident ref protector will be along soon to explain why that was the right call. @ThrowBones92
I see you tagged me. I was busy. What happened?

I'm a referee. I have a perspective on the game on a different level than you and most other people. I try to share that perspective with people who are honest about wanting to know what we're looking at (and not looking at) and why we may have decided to not call something. You seem a little salty about that. We miss plays. Every game. It's part of the game that will never go away.

Reactions: davecisar
The resident ref protector will be along soon to explain why that was the right call. @ThrowBones92

If the play you're referring to is from 12:52 in the second half where Roby faces up on the defender, that's a foul. It's been made a point of emphasis by the Big Ten over the past couple of weeks. When boxing out, you're not allowed to face up and maintain engagement with the person you are boxing you. You are allowed to face up to begin the box out, but then you must turn and face the hoop and keep the defender on your back from that point forward.

Roby faced the defender, put two hands on him, and then maintained engagement, which is illegal contact. He steered the rebounder toward the baseline, and when the ball fell right where the defender was initially standing, the foul was called. It was a correct call by the official, and was graded as such. If you have a problem with it, call the Big Ten. It's their POE.

If the play you're referring to is from 12:52 in the second half where Roby faces up on the defender, that's a foul. It's been made a point of emphasis by the Big Ten over the past couple of weeks. When boxing out, you're not allowed to face up and maintain engagement with the person you are boxing you. You are allowed to face up to begin the box out, but then you must turn and face the hoop and keep the defender on your back from that point forward.

Roby faced the defender, put two hands on him, and then maintained engagement, which is illegal contact. He steered the rebounder toward the baseline, and when the ball fell right where the defender was initially standing, the foul was called. It was a correct call by the official, and was graded as such. If you have a problem with it, call the Big Ten. It's their POE.
Wow. Now you lie to cover for the good old boys. Good work, your brain-washing is almost complete. Not the play, but not surprising you spun it

Wow. Now you lie to cover for the good old boys. Good work, your brain-washing is almost complete. Not the play, but not surprising you spun it
LOL your insecurity is noted. I'm not lying about anything. Move along.

Send me the timestamp on the play your talking about. I'll look at it, and if they missed it, I'll say so. If they didn't, I'll say so.

LOL your insecurity is noted. I'm not lying about anything. Move along.

Send me the timestamp on the play your talking about. I'll look at it, and if they missed it, I'll say so. If they didn't, I'll say so.
You aree nothing more than a schill. Plain and simple. Not gonna play your cute little game. You have more important things to do, now run along and cover for bad refs instead of working to improve. When brainwashing leaves your line of work, I will accept your asinine explanations. Until then it will just continue to get worse and take away from the game on the floor.

Man that’s a good point. I think Watson is a very sound defender, but if his shot isn’t falling, he’s never been known as a classic distributor. I don’t remember the last time he broke down a defense, drove and dished.

He has had a few lob passes to Roby, but the team would be more efficient if the offense started with him breaking down the D.

You aree nothing more than a schill. Plain and simple. Not gonna play your cute little game. You have more important things to do, now run along and cover for bad refs instead of working to improve. When brainwashing leaves your line of work, I will accept your asinine explanations. Until then it will just continue to get worse and take away from the game on the floor.
You're an angry elf.

The problem is, no metrics will tell you how tough IL is playing right now. They are getting that guys system, finally.

It sucks. The whole selection system. The Palm, Lunadri, etc......fvck them. Are you telling me, if Nebraska makes a run and smacks the shit out of a ranked team by 20, loses a close game by 2 in the semi's, they are out? NO.

I hate ESPN and CBS

Reactions: Cornicator
The problem is, no metrics will tell you how tough IL is playing right now. They are getting that guys system, finally.

It sucks. The whole selection system. The Palm, Lunadri, etc......fvck them. Are you telling me, if Nebraska makes a run and smacks the shit out of a ranked team by 20, loses a close game by 2 in the semi's, they are out? NO.

I hate ESPN and CBS

Except Illinois is 1-6 in its last 7. The only being Nebraska at home. I am pretty sure that metric tells me all I need to know about how tough Illinois is playing right now.

Can you tell me how tough Indiana is playing the last 7 games too.

I can, they came in "HOT" beating Rutgers (3-14 in the league), Illinois (3-14 in the league), Minnesota (4-13 in the league) and Iowa ( you guessed it 3-14 in the league), but he didn't mention a metric about how tough Indiana was playing on the road in the Big Ten

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT