ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs Illinois

HuskerO

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 11, 2006
Another big game for Miles and his team.

How well does Nebraska matchup against Illinois?

well we did play them once before and beat them at home by 1 point. Our.biggest advantage is that their team seems like they have given up on their season.

Reactions: jlb321
I see us losing by 10 BECAUSE Illinois has nothing to play for... want to eat crow badly... this is the only game left I fear because it’s a roadie against a horrible record team

I know everyone is saying that we are first 4 out.. on the bubble but i believe they are in... unless they lose the rest i think they are in now... i also think they will win at least 2 of the last 3 and maybe 1 game in the tourny in NYC... no way they are kept out

I know everyone is saying that we are first 4 out.. on the bubble but i believe they are in... unless they lose the rest i think they are in now... i also think they will win at least 2 of the last 3 and maybe 1 game in the tourny in NYC... no way they are kept out

How do you figure? We all want them to be in, but objectively it’s just not there. One top 50 win doesn’t get you in the tournament

If we lose 2 of these last games, one of them being to Penn State, I think we are looking at a #1 seed in the NIT, unless we look really good in the tourney. Penn State would get the nod ahead of us. If we both keep winning, I think we are both in, but if not, I think we are fighting for that final spot in the dance.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If we lose 2 of these last games, one of them being to Penn State, I think we are looking at a #1 seed in the NIT, unless we look really good in the tourney. Penn State would get the nod ahead of us. If we both keep winning, I think we are both in, but if not, I think we are fighting for that final spot in the dance.
The only way both Penn State AND Nebraska make it in is if Nebraska beats them in the regular season finale and Penn state goes on to win the conference tourney.

Now we are discussing the Nebrasketball I remember. NIT NIT NIT! Kind of sad to think NIT would be an improvement over the past couple years.

But this team has real talent and should make the real tournament.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
The oddsmakers have Nebraska as only a 2 pt favorite at Illinois. Another chance for a trap but Nebraska has done what is necessary so far overcoming several trap scenarios. I’m calling for another 1 pt victory.

Our rpi dropped to 55 yesterday. Penn st is 76. 43 open spots. 1 quality win. We aren’t getting in.

I like the Huskers' chances to get in, but no way it happens without a strong finish. At a minimum I think they need three more wins.

Fishy line at Nebraska -2, but Nebrasketball keeps covering fishy lines.

I like this team, grown up a lot, and would ride the amazing ATS streak here. Why not? Motivation should not be a factor, and Illinois was probably out last night partying.

I fully expect Nebraska to win out into Penn State, which will be a helluva game to end the season. GBR

Reactions: chicolby
Our rpi dropped to 55 yesterday. Penn st is 76. 43 open spots. 1 quality win. We aren’t getting in.
There are many fans with a similar sentiment. I believe it is a defensive mechanism to avoid disappointment.

Say and even believe the team won’t make it so if they do make it, there is pleasant surprise. If they don’t make it, then we can say “we knew they wouldn’t get in” to reduce the blow.

Reactions: meo1960
The only way both Penn State AND Nebraska make it in is if Nebraska beats them in the regular season finale and Penn state goes on to win the conference tourney.

They are 19-9 (9-6). If they get wins over Purdue and UM, after beating OSU, and lose to us, they are 21-10 (11-7), with some big-time wins on their resume, vs NU at 23-8 (14-4), with much less impressive wins. Can't keep NU out with that record, despite the lack of quality wins, and the committee should have a very difficult time keeping PSU out with that record considering the number of quality wins it would have at that point. No need for them to win the tourney to get in.

The oddsmakers have Nebraska as only a 2 pt favorite at Illinois. Another chance for a trap but Nebraska has done what is necessary so far overcoming several trap scenarios. I’m calling for another 1 pt victory.
Just checked and Nebraska now +1

wth?

IF they show up and play a complete game we win easily. However we tend to play down to the competition and making games closer than they should be. Every time they look like they are going to break out and put a team away we seem to take an ill advised shot with a ton of time left on the shot clock and nobody in rebounding position.

Based on that, not surprised the line is what it is.

GBR. One game at a time

To answer OP's initial question about the matchup:

Illinois actually gives Nebraska some tough matchup problems because the Huskers struggle vs. teams that like to press and will defend the hell out of the back court. Watson will be the catalyst.

However, I've been very impressed with Nebraska's focus in their last few road games at Wisconsin and Minnesota. I think the Huskers will continue that level of focus and if they lose, it won't be due to lack of motivation or energy.

Fishy line at Nebraska -2, but Nebrasketball keeps covering fishy lines.

I like this team, grown up a lot, and would ride the amazing ATS streak here. Why not? Motivation should not be a factor, and Illinois was probably out last night partying.

I fully expect Nebraska to win out into Penn State, which will be a helluva game to end the season. GBR
The line just got fishier(Neb +1). Maybe the Illini players weren't out partying last night. They actually have some decent young talent and gave us all we wanted in Lincoln in January. Let's hope our guys are focused and on top of their game. This game could be tougher to win than the next two.

lines have consistently moved against us and we keep covering. i took corn +1. we have to rebound though.
You're exactly right.

I'm frustrated because it moved to -2 so I bought it down to -1 thinking it may keep going up. Then the next time I check it moved to +1 so I lost value and points. But I just put more on the +1.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Gonna be an interesting finish. Today might be a must win. Maybe Penn St as well? That could end up being a tourney play-in game. Don't want to get swept by Penn St that's for sure! Maybe we can afford a slip up against Indiana? Idk

Illinois is showing what teams will try the rest of the way. Double and triple Palmer and make him make either acrobatic shots or have other players beat them. This is where Nebraska’s depth is so valuable. Cope, Roby, Watson all capable. Even Taylor or Gill can get going. But we need to find a way to get Gill back to his early season shooting form.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Huskers dragging their feet through this game. Gotta wake up and make some plays

I don't think I am too far off with this. If you add defense and offensive misses, Jordy has cost us about 15 points so far

Illinois playing with a lot of energy on defense. Some of these passes we're making are iffy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT