ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska 1983 vs 1993?

zrob

Walk On
May 22, 2005
Who would win if the '83 Husker team played the '93 Huskers? Both teams could/woulda/shoulda won the titles in their respective years.

Remember, the '83 team was one of the greatest offenses of all time and put up amazing stats.
The '93 team literally refused to lose and always found a way to win, despite not having that great of stats. I would say the '93 FSU team was probably at least good as the '83 Huskers, they averaged more yards and had a much better defense.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Obviously the 83 team had the better offense and the 93 team had the better defense...

93 team escaped losing to Kansas on a two point conversion try by the Jayhawks,and I remember going to Pasadena when Nebraska beat UCLA 14-13 both close shaves.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Obviously the 83 team had the better offense and the 93 team had the better defense...

93 team escaped losing to Kansas on a two point conversion try by the Jayhawks,and I remember going to Pasadena when Nebraska beat UCLA 14-13 both close shaves.

I agree, but the '93 team always found a way to win. They came from behind and won close games all year. In several games they were totally out gained for yardage and still won.

At the time the 83 team before the bowl game was mentioned as one of the best all time and they were being compared to the 1971 team which was one of the greatest teams of all time..

If Gill completes that pass to Jeff Smith we would be putting them in the same category as the 71 and 95 teams.

Reactions: SOHusker11
93, just because the weight of a team across the board increases alot over a decade
and both them teams operated at a high level

Reactions: zrob
Who would win if the '83 Husker team played the '93 Huskers? Both teams could/woulda/shoulda won the titles in their respective years.

Remember, the '83 team was one of the greatest offenses of all time and put up amazing stats.
The '93 team literally refused to lose and always found a way to win, despite not having that great of stats. I would say the '93 FSU team was probably at least good as the '83 Huskers, they averaged more yards and had a much better defense.

Would take either.

Just get us out of this hell hole we reside Frosty. Nebraska football can't be irrelevant.

Scott is probably our last chance...No bulls*** One more shot

At the time the 83 team before the bowl game was mentioned as one of the best all time and they were being compared to the 1971 team which was one of the greatest teams of all time..

If Gill completes that pass to Jeff Smith we would be putting them in the same category as the 71 and 95 teams.

'95 was a far better team, it wasn't even close... They gained more yards, scored more points and had a very elite defense as well. '83 was great but they couldn't get it done against a Miami team that was not all that great.
'93 Nebraska almost beat a FSU team that was at least as good as '83 Nebraska, more yards offensively and a much better defense than the Huskers.

'95 was a far better team, it wasn't even close... They gained more yards, scored more points and had a very elite defense as well. '83 was great but they couldn't get it done against a Miami team that was not all that great.
'93 Nebraska almost beat a FSU team that was at least as good as '83 Nebraska, more yards offensively and a much better defense than the Huskers.

What 95 or 93? what are you talking about.:rolleyes:

What 95 or 93? what are you talking about.:rolleyes:

Ummm, you said if Gill completed that pass they would have been compared to the '95 team, but I'm saying the '95 Huskers still would have been far better than the '83 team if they beat Miami because '95 had a better offense and MUCH better defense.;)

Reactions: scarletred
Ummm, you said if Gill completed that pass they would have been compared to the '95 team, but I'm saying the '95 Huskers still would have been far better than the '83 team if they beat Miami because '95 had a better offense and MUCH better defense.;)

If they would have won, 12 years later from 1995 they would have been compared to both the 95 or 71 teams regardless if you or I think the 95 team was better that is all I’m trying to point out

Reactions: zrob
If they would have won, 12 years later from 1995 they would have been compared to both the 95 or 71 teams regardless if you or I think the 95 team was better that is all I’m trying to point out

Ok, I see what you are saying and agree with that.

I honestly think the '93 team would win just based on how close they were to beating an FSU team that was at least as good if not better than the '83 Huskers. And because they literally refused to lose that year...
The '83 team also had close calls, winning 14-10 against unranked Oklahoma St and only won by 7 against the unranked Sooners..

It would have be a very close game if these 2 Husker teams played though.

Do you think '83 NU could've beaten the '93 FSU team that the '93 Huskers coulda/woulda/shoulda beat?

I think that irrelevant....

I could say the field in 83 in the orange Bowl was one of the worst fields ever played on for a National Title game..

Shane Swanson told me of all the games he played in including playing 8 man football that was the worst field he ever played a game on.

I think that irrelevant....

I could say the field in 83 in the orange Bowl was one of the worst fields ever played on for a National Title game..

Shane Swanson told me of all the games he played in including playing 8 man football that was the worst field he ever played a game on.

Understood. But what I'm trying to say is that I think if the '83 and '93 teams played it would be very close just like when '93 NU played FSU.
I think the '83 team didn't play quite well enough to win the Orange Bowl, but I feel like the '93 team did for theirs, and it was against a better team.

Understood. But what I'm trying to say is that I think if the '83 and '93 teams played it would be very close just like when '93 NU played FSU.
I think the '83 team didn't play quite well enough to win the Orange Bowl, but I feel like the '93 team did for theirs, and it was against a better team.

Nebraska plays that game in the Sugar, Fiesta, Rose or Cotton Bowl. THEY DO NOT LOSE THAT GAME.

93 would have not been able to keep up scoring with them on Osborne field.

Nebraska plays that game in the Sugar, Fiesta, Rose or Cotton Bowl. THEY DO NOT LOSE THAT GAME.

'93 would have kept '83 from scoring tons of points and would have done what they did all year, keeping the game close and giving them a chance to win. Beating FSU in the Orange Bowl isn't exactly easy either, it's still in their home state and a ton of their fans are able to make it almost a home game for them, though not quite as much as Miami obviously.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but IMO I think the '93 team would win against the '83 team. If they didn't win, I think they'd at least keep it very close. Just my opinion.

The guys on the 83 team would be about 55 years old vs the 93 team that would be about 45 years olds.

I think I would take the team that is ten years younger at this point.

Reactions: baseball31ne
1993 was the better all around team. No Question.

93 strength of schedule > 83 strength of schedule. The 93 team had 4 wins against teams that finished in the top 20. The 83 had zero wins against teams that finished in the top 20. I think a lot of people's opinion on 83 team and 93 team are maybe a little altered by one game in each year

83 team beat the crap out of defending National Champs Penn State 44-6 in the very first kickoff classic. PSU was ranked #4 at the time and NU was #1. Penn State did not finish in the top 20 that year (back when it went only to 20) and was actually not very good that year. They started off 0-3 which included a loss at home to Cincy.

Everyone brings up the near loss to KU in 93 as a symbol that, that husker team were over achieves that just fought to stay alive. IMO that's BS. For one, that game was played after playing Colorado in Boulder. A place TO had not won in (at the time) in seven years. And lets be honest, at the time CU was the rival. Huskers were very flat that game. Also, people forget that the year before KU was actually a really good football team. Their 93 team still had a lot of left over talent and their 93 schedule made them out to be way worse than their record showed. If you look at it, maybe one of the most ridiculous schedules of all time. Also, don't forget we crushed KU the year before when they were ranked pretty high. So their players in 93 were up for us and had nothing to lose. And again, ours were flat.

I think a case can and should be made that the 1982 NU team was better than the 1983 NU team. The 82 had the same triplets the 83 team had but it also included Roger Craig & Dave Rimington. Rozier & Craig easily have to be the best RB duo in school history (and that's saying alot, since there has been some great ones.) Plus that 82 team had some big wins: Auburn, LSU, OU was much better in 82, and lets be honest, had instant replay been a thing in 82, we win the title. No question.

The 1982 & 1999 Teams are the two best IMO to never have won a title.

93 strength of schedule > 83 strength of schedule. The 93 team had 4 wins against teams that finished in the top 20. The 83 had zero wins against teams that finished in the top 20. I think a lot of people's opinion on 83 team and 93 team are maybe a little altered by one game in each year

83 team beat the crap out of defending National Champs Penn State 44-6 in the very first kickoff classic. PSU was ranked #4 at the time and NU was #1. Penn State did not finish in the top 20 that year (back when it went only to 20) and was actually not very good that year. They started off 0-3 which included a loss at home to Cincy.

Everyone brings up the near loss to KU in 93 as a symbol that, that husker team were over achieves that just fought to stay alive. IMO that's BS. For one, that game was played after playing Colorado in Boulder. A place TO had not won in (at the time) in seven years. And lets be honest, at the time CU was the rival. Huskers were very flat that game. Also, people forget that the year before KU was actually a really good football team. Their 93 team still had a lot of left over talent and their 93 schedule made them out to be way worse than their record showed. If you look at it, maybe one of the most ridiculous schedules of all time. Also, don't forget we crushed KU the year before when they were ranked pretty high. So their players in 93 were up for us and had nothing to lose. And again, ours were flat.

I think a case can and should be made that the 1982 NU team was better than the 1983 NU team. The 82 had the same triplets the 83 team had but it also included Roger Craig & Dave Rimington. Rozier & Craig easily have to be the best RB duo in school history (and that's saying alot, since there has been some great ones.) Plus that 82 team had some big wins: Auburn, LSU, OU was much better in 82, and lets be honest, had instant replay been a thing in 82, we win the title. No question.

Good points about the 82 team..... I must add that the 83 team would have finished wire to wire with the made 2 point conversion.. The 82 team was just as good as the 83 team both should have been national champs. 2 more titles for Osborne as well.

I watched that 1993 Colorado game in Boulder for the first time a year or two ago. I knew we won but didn't look up the box score before watching. We got out to a 21-3 lead, then Frazier got hurt, and Berringer really struggled and couldn't get anything going offensively. The Huskers had to hold on for dear life to pull out the 21-17 win. Our defense had a few picks that bailed us out that day.

Do you think '83 NU could've beaten the '93 FSU team that the '93 Huskers coulda/woulda/shoulda beat?
The 93 team got screwed on the FSU game and IMHO won that game. I think the 83 and 93 game would be a toss up. The 82 huskers remind me more of the 93 team. The 82, 83 and 93 huskers were all national champion caliber type of teams.

Sugar would have been a no doubter. Playing them on turf would have been huge for the OL. Cotton would have been good too because Dallas isn't the best weather in January.

The 93 team got screwed on the FSU game and IMHO won that game. I think the 83 and 93 game would be a toss up. The 82 huskers remind me more of the 93 team. The 82, 83 and 93 huskers were all national champion caliber type of teams.
93 did get hosed...no clip for one. That said, 83 all the way!

Reactions: jedimasterjed

I agree with everything you say in this post! And the '82 team truly may have been better than the '83 team...

93 did get hosed...no clip for one. That said, 83 all the way!

I think the '83 team underachieved and lost to an inferior Miami team, they were outplayed and I don't think they actually deserved to win that game... I really believe the '93 Huskers would have beaten the Hurricanes the '83 Huskers lost to. The '93 Huskers definitely deserved to win against the '93 FSU team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT