ADVERTISEMENT

A Closer Look at Matt Rhule's 11-3 season

Obvious difference is Leipold inherited Kansas and Rhule inherited a team that had 10+ wins in the 3 of the 4 previous years.

Klieman goes punch for punch with the titans of the conference then loses a few heads catchers. Rhule beats who he should then falls flat against the teams standing in the way of conference titles.

it’s entirely possible that Rhule builds a dynasty here and I’m hoping he does, I’m just reporting the available data
available data:

klieman is 8 games over .500 as a P5 head coach

This is some crazy spin. It's like starting with the desired narrative and then desperately trying to find something to support it.

Ruhle inherited a disaster. A program rocked by scandal with 45 scholarship players and 1 commit. While Kilieman took over a stable program coached by a hall-of-fame coach. And Ruhle "falls flat" against teams standing in the way of conference titles? He lost twice to an OU team that made the playoffs by 3 points each time. Klieman hasn't sniffed that kind of success. I wouldn't be unhappy with hiring Klieman, but to me, he isn't even close to being on Ruhle's level.
Quick google search shows the Art Briles owned Bill Snyder so I wouldn’t put too much stock into Kansas State being a powerhouse during Snyder’s twilight years.

In fact, Baylor finished with a better record in their season with an interim (between Briles & Rhule after the scandal) at 7-6 with a bowl game, than Snyder did the year preceding Klieman at 5-7 with no bowl game. There’s no narrative there, that’s just the truth.

Reactions: glaciersx
Quick google search shows the Art Briles owned Bill Snyder so I wouldn’t put too much stock into Kansas State being a powerhouse during Snyder’s twilight years.

In fact, Baylor finished with a better record in their season with an interim (between Briles & Rhule after the scandal) at 7-6 with a bowl game, than Snyder did the year preceding Klieman at 5-7 with no bowl game. There’s no narrative there, that’s just the truth.

If you are choosing to ignore the situation Ruhle walked into with 45 scholarship players, that is an agenda. Not sure why, but an agenda for sure.

If you are choosing to ignore the situation Ruhle walked into with 45 scholarship players, that is an agenda. Not sure why, but an agenda for sure.
no worries, quick google search (I can link you if you need) shows Baylor continued to out recruit Kansas State during the scandal

you’re heavily invested into the emotional aspect, which is making it difficult for you to understand the data I’m spoon-feeding you

no worries, quick google search (I can link you if you need) shows Baylor continued to out recruit Kansas State during the scandal

you’re heavily invested into the emotional aspect, which is making it difficult for you to understand the data I’m spoon-feeding you

GTFO out with that. You are ignoring the facts and for some reason keep pushing this ridiculous narrative of yours. Ruhle took over a program rocked by scandal with 45 scholarship players and 1 commit when he took over. That is a situation MUCH worse than you are giving credit for and MUCH worse than what Klieman inherited. And he won faster and bigger than Klieman has to date. Which is why NFL teams came after Ruhle and no one is after Klieman.

wait your boy klieman couldn't out-recruit a team coming off a near death penalty scandal & amidst a coaching change?

incredible self own from the board dipshit

wait your boy klieman couldn't out-recruit a team coming off a near death penalty scandal & amidst a coaching change?

incredible self own from the board dipshit
Guess not, and that’s a valid concern on Klieman.

who knew that recruiting in Kansas was harder than recruiting in Texas.

try to control your emotions this go around, bud

GTFO out with that. You are ignoring the facts and for some reason keep pushing this ridiculous narrative of yours. Ruhle took over a program rocked by scandal with 45 scholarship players and 1 commit when he took over. That is a situation MUCH worse than you are giving credit for and MUCH worse than what Klieman inherited. And he won faster and bigger than Klieman has to date. Which is why NFL teams came after Ruhle and no one is after Klieman.
Unfortunately, “GTFO” and more baseless crying isn’t a valid argument.

how about we try to find some common ground instead?

Rhule is the most proven coach we’ve ever hired, and we will experience more success with him than we have the past decade. Do you think he gets us over the hump and into the conference championship eventually?

Unfortunately, “GTFO” and more baseless crying isn’t a valid argument.

how about we try to find some common ground instead?

Rhule is the most proven coach we’ve ever hired, and we will experience more success with him than we have the past decade. Do you think he gets us over the hump and into the conference championship eventually?

Sorry that actually presenting facts is such a problem for you. But it sure does seem to be getting in the way of your bizarre agenda.

To answer this hypothetical question. Who knows what the divisions, etc will even look like?

Yes, if the current East/West setup were to stay, I believe Ruhle would have us winning this division consistently. However, with USC and UCLA (and who knows who else) joining soon, divisions may be a thing of the past and simply being better than the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the world, which I am confident we would be under MR, may not be enough to get us in the Championship Game anymore.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sorry that actually presenting facts is such a problem for you. But it sure does seem to be getting in the way of your bizarre agenda.

To answer this hypothetical question. Who knows what the divisions, etc will even look like?

Yes, if the current East/West setup were to stay, I believe Ruhle would have us winning this division consistently. However, with USC and UCLA (and who knows who else) joining soon, divisions may be a thing of the past and simply being better than the Wisconsin's and Iowa's of the world, which I am confident we would be under MR, may not be enough to get us in the Championship Game anymore.
I’m glad you mentioned the scholarship bit, as it illuminated how amazing it was that Kansas State still recruited worse and won fewer games than Baylor before Klieman

I firmly believe that we will retake control of the Iowa rivalry, and am cautiously optimistic that we will begin a win streak against both Minnesota and Wisconsin. I hope at this time next year we’re not rationalizing a 5 win season though I accept that could be part of the process.

Rhule has coached DL in college and OL in the NFL, so I really hope he’s willing to hit the portal hard to build a line. The past multiple years, Nebraska has been a decent OL away from being a really good team

I've been negative on Matt Rhule so I decided to take a dive on his 2019 team to have a more informed opinion.

Stephen F. Austin: 56-17
Good, clean win over an FCS program. That's how a P5 team should perform against FCS. SFA would finish the season 3-9

UTSA: 63-14
Another dominant win. UTSA would finish the year 4-8

@Rice:
21-13
This one is a little troubling. Rice shutout Baylor in the 2nd half en route to nearly completing a comeback. This Rice team would finish the season 3-9.

Iowa State:
23-21
Baylor jumped out to a 20-0 lead, then Iowa State scored 21 unanswered in the 4th quarter. Baylor escapes with a FG on their final drive. Iowa State would finish the season 7-6

@Kansas State:
31-12
Solid win where Baylor played all 4 quarters. Kansas State would finish 8-5 under first year coach Chris Klieman.

Texas Tech:
33-30
Another nailbiter in a game where Baylor was favored by 10.5. Texas Tech would finish 4-8 under first year coach Matt Wells.

@Oklahoma State:
45-27
This may be Baylor's best win of the season. OkSt favored by 6, Baylor takes the lead early in the 4th and closes the game out strong. Oklahoma State would finish 7-6 this season.

West Virginia:
17-14
Ugly win in a game where Baylor was favored by 17.5. Baylor is outscored in the second half, but a 4th quarter FG wins the game. West Virginia would finish 5-7 under first year coach Neal Brown.

@TCU:
29-23
Another ugly win against an opponent Baylor was favored against. Games goes into 3OT's after the 4th quarter has them tied at 9. TCU would finish the season 5-7

Oklahoma:
31-34
First loss of the year, to be expected as OU was favored by 10.5. Baylor led the game 28-3 at one point, but a 2nd half collapse in which they were shutout leads to Oklahoma leaving Waco with a win. OU would finish the year 12-2

Texas:
24-10
Baylor rebounds after the heartbreaking loss to OU. Score is deceptive as Texas scored their only TD with 1 second remaining, having never led at any point in the game. Texas would finish the year 8-5.

@Kansas:
61-6
Total domination. Kansas would finish 3-9 under first year coach Les Miles.

Oklahoma:
23-30
Baylor goes into half with the lead once again, but a weaker second half allows OU to tie the game before winning in OT.

Georgia:
26-14
Probably the best team Rhule had ever faced. Despite being shutout in the first half, Baylor manages to stay competitive and keep the game from getting ugly.

notes:

• Baylor's wins would come against opponents with a combined record of 57-79 (0.419). To contextualize, in 2021 the Big 10 West, excluding Nebraska, had a combined record of 54-32 (0.628)
  • Baylor was outscored in the second half in 5 of their games
In conclusion, I believe Matt Rhule to be a fine head coach. It is admittedly concerning that his teams seem to struggle against Rice and very weak Texas Tech & TCU teams. The biggest concern is the pattern of poor 2nd half performances when they aren't playing teams like Kansas and Stephen F. Austin. Were Rhule to be head coach at Nebraska, I would envision Pelini-like success, with fewer embarrassing losses. I would however hold little hope that he'd be able to win the conference, but I believe we would probably regain control of the Iowa rivalry and no longer be a doormat for Wisconsin.
Great report. Thank-you

Reactions: thall_
Well

He only coached for two years at Baylor and didn't have a chance to hit his stride. Given the remarkable turnaround from year one and his work at Temple, plus his NFL experience, I'd say his ceiling is higher than Pellini.
I'd put Meyer and Kiffin ahead of him, but no one else on the board at this time.
He coached 3 seasons at Baylor

Nobody in their right mind would have turned down the guaranteed contract that he got to jump to the NFL. Nobody
I am not going to bang on Rhule because he took the money, but I do think there are coaches who are completely happy working as college coaches and have no desire to work in the NFL.

About the money thing. I can remember going to Mariner games against the Rangers 2-3 years after A-Rod took one of the first really big contracts and ran off to Texas. A huge chunk of the crowd would go ape sh*t every time Rodriguez stepped up to the plate. Some just came unglued. I always thought everyone of those screaming motherfluffers would give their right arm for the money A-Rod got from the Rangers. By the way and I think this is largely due to his personality, A-Rod was liked when he was a Mariner, but Seattle fans LOVED Griffey.

available data:

Matt Rhule is 4 games over .500 as a P5 head coach

incredible self own from the board retard
Took all day and this is what you come up with after telling me to keep my emotions in check?

Need me to link a google search for the term “self own?”

Sad, pathetic stuff here. Do better.

ADVERTISEMENT