ADVERTISEMENT

A Closer Look at Matt Rhule's 11-3 season

thall_

Walk On
Sep 25, 2022
I've been negative on Matt Rhule so I decided to take a dive on his 2019 team to have a more informed opinion.

Stephen F. Austin: 56-17
Good, clean win over an FCS program. That's how a P5 team should perform against FCS. SFA would finish the season 3-9

UTSA: 63-14
Another dominant win. UTSA would finish the year 4-8

@Rice:
21-13
This one is a little troubling. Rice shutout Baylor in the 2nd half en route to nearly completing a comeback. This Rice team would finish the season 3-9.

Iowa State:
23-21
Baylor jumped out to a 20-0 lead, then Iowa State scored 21 unanswered in the 4th quarter. Baylor escapes with a FG on their final drive. Iowa State would finish the season 7-6

@Kansas State:
31-12
Solid win where Baylor played all 4 quarters. Kansas State would finish 8-5 under first year coach Chris Klieman.

Texas Tech:
33-30
Another nailbiter in a game where Baylor was favored by 10.5. Texas Tech would finish 4-8 under first year coach Matt Wells.

@Oklahoma State:
45-27
This may be Baylor's best win of the season. OkSt favored by 6, Baylor takes the lead early in the 4th and closes the game out strong. Oklahoma State would finish 7-6 this season.

West Virginia:
17-14
Ugly win in a game where Baylor was favored by 17.5. Baylor is outscored in the second half, but a 4th quarter FG wins the game. West Virginia would finish 5-7 under first year coach Neal Brown.

@TCU:
29-23
Another ugly win against an opponent Baylor was favored against. Games goes into 3OT's after the 4th quarter has them tied at 9. TCU would finish the season 5-7

Oklahoma:
31-34
First loss of the year, to be expected as OU was favored by 10.5. Baylor led the game 28-3 at one point, but a 2nd half collapse in which they were shutout leads to Oklahoma leaving Waco with a win. OU would finish the year 12-2

Texas:
24-10
Baylor rebounds after the heartbreaking loss to OU. Score is deceptive as Texas scored their only TD with 1 second remaining, having never led at any point in the game. Texas would finish the year 8-5.

@Kansas:
61-6
Total domination. Kansas would finish 3-9 under first year coach Les Miles.

Oklahoma:
23-30
Baylor goes into half with the lead once again, but a weaker second half allows OU to tie the game before winning in OT.

Georgia:
26-14
Probably the best team Rhule had ever faced. Despite being shutout in the first half, Baylor manages to stay competitive and keep the game from getting ugly.

notes:

• Baylor's wins would come against opponents with a combined record of 57-79 (0.419). To contextualize, in 2021 the Big 10 West, excluding Nebraska, had a combined record of 54-32 (0.628)
  • Baylor was outscored in the second half in 5 of their games
In conclusion, I believe Matt Rhule to be a fine head coach. It is admittedly concerning that his teams seem to struggle against Rice and very weak Texas Tech & TCU teams. The biggest concern is the pattern of poor 2nd half performances when they aren't playing teams like Kansas and Stephen F. Austin. Were Rhule to be head coach at Nebraska, I would envision Pelini-like success, with fewer embarrassing losses. I would however hold little hope that he'd be able to win the conference, but I believe we would probably regain control of the Iowa rivalry and no longer be a doormat for Wisconsin.

Great post!

I would personally be happy with Rhule, but I'm surprised his opponents had such a poor record. At this point, I just want to have some fun wins and make it to a bowl game.

I think Rhule would have us roughly on par with Penn State in terms of success

Great post!

I would personally be happy with Rhule, but I'm surprised his opponents had such a poor record. At this point, I just want to have some fun wins and make it to a bowl game.

I think Rhule would have us roughly on par with Penn State in terms of success
i certainly wouldn't be mad at the hire, I trust Trev to make the right decision. Leipold and Klieman just feel like the most attractive names due to their recent midwest success, but i'm interested to see how the rest of the season plays out for them.

Imo, IF Rhule was offered the job AND IF he was to accept the job, it wouldn't be because of the money since he's set and can wait and choose his next landing spot. That's not bad because you want someone here for more than the $.

Not convinced he's THE GUY, but there's definitely worse choices

Reactions: thall_
Look at it this way, if we hire Aranda or Rhule, at least 50% of fans will be happy or pissed :p

7e1j.gif

I would be fine with Rhule. To be fair that was what his 3rd year? Maybe if he stays, he becomes dominant. I now like Rhule more than current Baylor head coach. His first years are awful but if you take those first years at new places out, he is like 44-22 or something. Honestly the problem is that I do not think he would take the job. According to people he likes close talent and getting lots of speed.

I've been negative on Matt Rhule so I decided to take a dive on his 2019 team to have a more informed opinion.

Stephen F. Austin: [COLOR=%s]56-17[/COLOR]
Good, clean win over an FCS program. That's how a P5 team should perform against FCS. SFA would finish the season 3-9

UTSA: [COLOR=%s]63-14

@Rice: 21-13
This one is a little troubling. Rice shutout Baylor in the 2nd half en route to nearly completing a comeback. This Rice team would finish the season 3-9.

Iowa State: 23-21
Baylor jumped out to a 20-0 lead, then Iowa State scored 21 unanswered in the 4th quarter. Baylor escapes with a FG on their final drive. Iowa State would finish the season 7-6

@Kansas State: 31-12
Solid win where Baylor played all 4 quarters. Kansas State would finish 8-5 under first year coach Chris Klieman.

Texas Tech: 33-30
Another nailbiter in a game where Baylor was favored by 10.5. Texas Tech would finish 4-8 under first year coach Matt Wells.

@Oklahoma State: 45-27
This may be Baylor's best win of the season. OkSt favored by 6, Baylor takes the lead early in the 4th and closes the game out strong. Oklahoma State would finish 7-6 this season.

West Virginia: 17-14
Ugly win in a game where Baylor was favored by 17.5. Baylor is outscored in the second half, but a 4th quarter FG wins the game. West Virginia would finish 5-7 under first year coach Neal Brown.

@TCU: 29-23
Another ugly win against an opponent Baylor was favored against. Games goes into 3OT's after the 4th quarter has them tied at 9. TCU would finish the season 5-7

Oklahoma: 31-34
First loss of the year, to be expected as OU was favored by 10.5. Baylor led the game 28-3 at one point, but a 2nd half collapse in which they were shutout leads to Oklahoma leaving Waco with a win. OU would finish the year 12-2

Texas: 24-10
Baylor rebounds after the heartbreaking loss to OU. Score is deceptive as Texas scored their only TD with 1 second remaining, having never led at any point in the game. Texas would finish the year 8-5.

@Kansas: 61-6

Oklahoma: 23-30
Baylor goes into half with the lead once again, but a weaker second half allows OU to tie the game before winning in OT.

Georgia: 26-14
Probably the best team Rhule had ever faced. Despite being shutout in the first half, Baylor manages to stay competitive and keep the game from getting ugly.

notes: [/COLOR]
  • Baylor's wins would come against opponents with a combined record of 57-79 (0.419). To contextualize, in 2021 the Big 10 West, excluding Nebraska, had a combined record of 54-32 (0.628)
In conclusion, I believe Matt Rhule to be a fine head coach. It is admittedly concerning that his teams seem to struggle against Rice and very weak Texas Tech & TCU teams. The biggest concern is the pattern of poor 2nd half performances when they aren't playing teams like Kansas and Stephen F. Austin. Were Rhule to be head coach at Nebraska, I would envision Pelini-like success, with fewer embarrassing losses. I would however hold little hope that he'd be able to win the conference, but I believe we would probably regain control of the Iowa rivalry and no longer be a doormat for Wisconsin.
Well, I read it and I find it pretty good deep diving.

Thanks for taking the time. I've had a queasy feeling about Matt Ruhle and this helped me out a bit. I will say that he took over a complete dumpster fire in Baylor when he arrived. So it's more than "X's and O's" with this guy. He came into a sex scandal and won immediately.

I do find it / him concerning with his second half collapses (a la many of our recent coaches) and failing to stiff arm weaker opponents as regularly as a great coach should. I agree he's be more like Pelini (oh to have Pelini-like wins now) and likely no better.

I'm hoping that we either see Joseph sparkle (like beating Purdue, Wisconsin and Iowa), Liepold get a LONG hard look, etc, before just taking the guy who had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Well

In conclusion, I believe Matt Rhule to be a fine head coach. It is admittedly concerning that his teams seem to struggle against Rice and very weak Texas Tech & TCU teams. The biggest concern is the pattern of poor 2nd half performances when they aren't playing teams like Kansas and Stephen F. Austin. Were Rhule to be head coach at Nebraska, I would envision Pelini-like success, with fewer embarrassing losses. I would however hold little hope that he'd be able to win the conference, but I believe we would probably regain control of the Iowa rivalry and no longer be a doormat for Wisconsi

He only coached for two years at Baylor and didn't have a chance to hit his stride. Given the remarkable turnaround from year one and his work at Temple, plus his NFL experience, I'd say his ceiling is higher than Pellini.
I'd put Meyer and Kiffin ahead of him, but no one else on the board at this time.

I really don't want Rhule, personally. Not impressed with his resume and recently fired. Plus he’s a whiney beta male on the sidelines.
He’s above bill obrien on my list but below just about everyone else.
Just one mans opinion, Im not doing the hiring but would be very unimpressed with this hire.

Well

He only coached for two years at Baylor and didn't have a chance to hit his stride. Given the remarkable turnaround from year one and his work at Temple, plus his NFL experience, I'd say his ceiling is higher than Pellini.
I'd put Meyer and Kiffin ahead of him, but no one else on the board at this time.
It’s kind of interesting how coaches who are rumored to take new jobs always seem to struggle that year. I think the distraction hurts a team.

Reactions: zrob
Well

He coached there for 3 years but I see your point.

Its possible he was building an empire, I guess we’ll see

Reactions: glaciersx

Lets take into account the Point Spread. They won every game they were favored which was 7 games. Were Even Money against ISU and won. Were the Underdogs in 5 games but won 2 of those games. Seems like they over achieved compared to what Vegas expected from them. Keep in mind he had to rebuild this team afterit was gutted from the scandal and yes it was year 3 but still had some depth/experience issues. Maybe that explains why they faided a bit in the second half of some games. With that being said he won "Coach of the Year" for the Big 12 and had both the Offensive & Defensive Players of the Year for the Big 12. He showed that he knows how to identify talent plus develop it while winning the games he is supposed to win.

SFA -44 pts 56-17 Won but didn't Cover
UTSA -25.5 pts 63-14 Won and Covered
Rice - 27.0 pts 21 -13 Won but didn't Cover
Iowa St +2.5 pts 23-21 Underdog Win
Kansas St Even 31-12 Won and Covered
Tex Tech -10.5 pts 33-30 Won and didn't Cover
Okla St +6.0 pts 45-27 Underdog Win
West Vir -17.5 pts 17-14 Won and didn't Cover
TCU -20.0 pts 29-23 Won and didn't Cover
Oklahoma +10.5 pts 31-34 Lost and Covered
Texas -4.0 pts 24-10 Won and Covered
Kansas -14.0 pts 61-6 Won and Covered
Oklahoma +9.5 pts 23-30 Lost and Covered
Georgia +3.5 pts 26-14 Lost but didn't Cover

Summary:
Covered -8
Didn't Cover - 6

Underdog:
Covered - 4
Didn't Cover - 1
Lost -3
Won - 2

Even Money:
Won -1

Favorite:
Covered -3
Didn't Cover - 5
Won - 8
Lost - 0

*that can’t beat ranked teams and is prone to 2nd half collapses
Some fans seem fixated on this quote but it has been shown on here many times that he beat ranked teams when he was the coach at Temple & Baylor. Did you research those 2nd half collapses? Could some of them been because a QB or star player got hurt or some other weird factor? I haven't researched it that deeply but you sure seem to label him like you know.

We get it you don't like Rhule. Is that because he doesn't have any ties to Nebraska?

Well

He had the chance, he chose not to take it. Not that there was a guarantee he'd have continued success either.

If he is hired, his staff will have to be much better at player development than some of the current crew, and recruit like his life is on the line. Not that I want him to die, but you know what I mean.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Stephen F. Austin: 56-17

UTSA: 63-14

@Rice:
21-13

Iowa State:
23-21

@Kansas State:
31-12

Texas Tech:
33-30

@Oklahoma State:
45-27

West Virginia:
17-14

@TCU:
29-23

Oklahoma:
31-34

Texas:
24-10

@Kansas:
61-6

Oklahoma:
23-30

Georgia:
26-14

notes:

I think Rhule and several other coaches could get us back to being respectable in 3-4 years. Not top 10 material but respectable winning seasons. That hire would be like hitting a single in baseball and hope you can eventually score that run.

As bad as we have been for as long as we have been bad I’m ready to swing for a home run and try to get it back all at once. I can think of 3 available names that would be home run hires. Neon, Urban, and Chuckey.

Rhule will have us floating around 7-9 wins by year 2, and i fear he will stay there for a while.

Baylor's wins would come against opponents with a combined record of 57-79 (0.419). To contextualize, in 2021 the Big 10 West, excluding Nebraska, had a combined record of 54-32 (0.628)
the updated metric on this:

Baylor's 2019 opponents: 0.419
Current B10W (excluding Nebraska): 0.541

in looking at the standings for 2019, the Big 12 was also much weaker that year. In 2019, Baylor needed OT to beat terrible TCU & Texas Tech teams.

the beacon of hope is that Nebraska is to Rhule like LSU was to Saban, minus the leaving for the NFL part, where he crosses the threshold separating the good from the elite.

*that can’t beat ranked teams and is prone to 2nd half collapses
Sounds like Leipold. I think he has 1 win over a ranked team in his FBS coaching career.

Klieman is below .500 (5-7) against teams that were ranked at the time of the game and
2-10 against teams that finished the season ranked. What that says is that the teams that were ranked at the time of the game, were overrated and the some of the teams they lost to, were better than their ranking at the time of the games.

Sounds like Leipold. I think he has 1 win over a ranked team in his FBS coaching career.

Klieman is below .500 (5-7) against teams that were ranked at the time of the game and
2-10 against teams that finished the season ranked. What that says is that the teams that were ranked at the time of the game, were overrated and the some of the teams they lost to, were better than their ranking at the time of the games.
Obvious difference is Leipold inherited Kansas and Rhule inherited a team that had 10+ wins in the 3 of the 4 previous years.

Klieman goes punch for punch with the titans of the conference then loses a few heads catchers. Rhule beats who he should then falls flat against the teams standing in the way of conference titles.

it’s entirely possible that Rhule builds a dynasty here and I’m hoping he does, I’m just reporting the available data

Reactions: glaciersx
Obvious difference is Leipold inherited Kansas and Rhule inherited a team that had 10+ wins in the 3 of the 4 previous years.

Klieman goes punch for punch with the titans of the conference then loses a few heads catchers. Rhule beats who he should then falls flat against the teams standing in the way of conference titles.

it’s entirely possible that Rhule builds a dynasty here and I’m hoping he does, I’m just reporting the available data

This is some crazy spin. It's like starting with the desired narrative and then desperately trying to find something to support it.

Ruhle inherited a disaster. A program rocked by scandal with 45 scholarship players and 1 commit. While Kilieman took over a stable program coached by a hall-of-fame coach. And Ruhle "falls flat" against teams standing in the way of conference titles? He lost twice to an OU team that made the playoffs by 3 points each time. Klieman hasn't sniffed that kind of success. I wouldn't be unhappy with hiring Klieman, but to me, he isn't even close to being on Ruhle's level.

ADVERTISEMENT