ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts/Break down

Aug 29, 2020
Ive been a member for a wile and have been reading this forum long before, this will be my first post tho but I think this should be said…
If we fire Frost, and have to restart everything again I don’t think we recover. I know he hasn’t been what everybody expected but I think the Husker nation needs to take a deep breath and realize if he can’t succeed here no one will.

This is a very tough job even without all the criticism from the media and my fellow fans. We all want the same thing, to be a title contender maybe not national but at least conference, or to at least be relevant again.
I don’t think we have any idea how much of a culture shock it was after we fired Bo and hired Riley, only for Scott to inherit the mess. We have the talent just need to put it all together and make some changes to the staff, specifically Verduzco.

Martinez is a good QB, could be great if it wasn’t for the fumbles and idk what Verduzco Is teaching him but I feel like he has the talent, its a mental issue he’s always second guessing himself which is why he can be so damn inconsistent.
I mean he was getting heisman talk as a true freshman! Then Mario got ahold of him and his fundamentals went to hell. Idk if it’s the quizzes (which is stupid af IMO)all that’s doing is filling the QB’s head up with a bunch nonsense since it’s what you can do on the field that really matters but whatever he’s doing it’s causing Adrien to play so up tight, there’s been multiple times the receivers come open over the middle and he hesitates because he’s overthinking and afraid to make the play and he ends up gettin flushed, getting sacked or checking it down to a covered RB.
Which brings me to my next point.. O-LINE… We have to get better there. Cam has been a dude, snaps have been a little off but it’s night and day over how they were. Other then him tho idk no one really stands out. So sick of watching them lightly jog or standing around watching Martinez run for his life. We finally have size and talent so I think it’s mostly bad coaching.
The RBs look ok, would be a hell of a lot better if the line would get some push! Tight ends(Allen lol) and receivers Are looking pretty damn good. This is already way more then I was gonna say so I won’t break down the defense, since they have been pretty solid. Special teams have been dicey just think Cam Taylor-Brit should lay off the popcorn.

We actually have consistent touch backs now! And Culps missed pats were a fluke. However I’m not so naïve, I understand the poor coaching in general is on Frost, and if he doesn’t make some changes it’ll be really tough sticking up for him. We’re only two games into the season so I think everybody should just chill out.

We’re supposed to be the best fans in the land so stop with all the negativity and show some support for this team!
Thoughts?/discussion
GBR

Last edited:
basically he thinks the best we can get is frost.. who has proven to be worse than even the last guy, so by his 'thought process' we should keep frost because we can't get anyone better and if we try, we likely won't recover.

what a crock of sh*t man.. we are already at the bottom of the barrel, and this guy is stumping for keeping things as they are because he thinks they could get worse.

Just wow

animal-house-kevin-bacon.gif

Here we go again...for like the hundredth time, we support the team but not the underachieving coach. If we must keep Frost then his next contract needs to be a quarter of what he makes now . I don't buy into this bullshit " If not him who can do it " He lacks the basic ability to be a head coach and his record proves it.

basically he thinks the best we can get is frost.. who has proven to be worse than even the last guy, so by his 'thought process' we should keep frost because we can't get anyone better and if we try, we likely won't recover.

what a crock of sh*t man.. we are already at the bottom of the barrel, and this guy is stumping for keeping things as they are because he thinks they could get worse.

Just wow

Just wow
Lol. All I’m saying is the mob mentality has got to stop bro. Like I said I won’t be a Frost defender if he keeps all his buddys on the staff I’m just as frustrated as everyone else man just trying to be optimistic I guess. And yes your probably right we could get somebody else. But culture change after culture change is no good

Op, you are flat out wrong. When you go into the coaching profession, most have a goal of becoming a head coach or coordinator. Some make it to the NFl and some spend their career between the NFL and college and some spend their whole career in college.

Lance Leipold, as an example, coached at a D3 school in Wisconsin and he basically won the D3 title every year. Not many P5 schools will go out and hire a D3 coach so he had to find a job like Buffalo to prove himself. He won at Buffalo. Then he got his P5 gig. Now the next step for him is to compete at the highest level of college football.

If Trev Alberts went to kansas to offer Lance the job, he would take it and not thing twice. Lance gets pissed when players make mistakes ad he actually constantly coaches up his players. He is a winner.

Same thing with Chris Klieman. Won at a lower level. Got a job at a P5 schoo. Next move is to get to the higher level of college football.

Saying Scott Frost can't do it, nobody can is flat-out loser talk. You put up $5M in the face of a good coach and you got your new head coach that is more proven then Scott Frost.

If we had seen Scott Frost post Milton, he would never be listed as option due to him always having losing seasons. He isn't a winning football coach and never will be.

Trev can go out and hire a good coach and the winning seasons can return in a hurry.

Lol. All I’m saying is the mob mentality has got to stop bro. Like I said I won’t be a Frost defender if he keeps all his buddys on the staff I’m just as frustrated as everyone else man just trying to be optimistic I guess. And yes your probably right we could get somebody else. But culture change after culture change is no good
Trev might start running things here like Barry Alvarez did at Wisconsin.

What I mean by that, is the actual coach doesn't become that important, because the system would be dictated by the AD.

It's time to take that part of the decision making process away from the head coach.

Trev lays down the system, and the coaches coach it.

This is what I think needs to happen this year.

Op, you are flat out wrong. When you go into the coaching profession, most have a goal of becoming a head coach or coordinator. Some make it to the NFl and some spend their career between the NFL and college and some spend their whole career in college.

Lance Leipold, as an example, coached at a D3 school in Wisconsin and he basically won the D3 title every year. Not many P5 schools will go out and hire a D3 coach so he had to find a job like Buffalo to prove himself. He won at Buffalo. Then he got his P5 gig. Now the next step for him is to compete at the highest level of college football.

If Trev Alberts went to kansas to offer Lance the job, he would take it and not thing twice. Lance gets pissed when players make mistakes ad he actually constantly coaches up his players. He is a winner.

Same thing with Chris Klieman. Won at a lower level. Got a job at a P5 schoo. Next move is to get to the higher level of college football.

Saying Scott Frost can't do it, nobody can is flat-out loser talk. You put up $5M in the face of a good coach and you got your new head coach that is more proven then Scott Frost.

If we had seen Scott Frost post Milton, he would never be listed as option due to him always having losing seasons. He isn't a winning football coach and never will be.

Trev can go out and hire a good coach and the winning seasons can return in a hurry.
I wouldn't have a clue how good Leipold is. Haven't watched ku play. Klieman I've watched.

Trev might start running things here like Barry Alvarez did at Wisconsin.

What I mean by that, is the actual coach doesn't become that important, because the system would be dictated by the AD.

It's time to take that part of the decision making process away from the head coach.

Trev lays down the system, and the coaches coach it.

This is what I think needs to happen this year.

I think that is what Trev wants to do. Drill into the heads of everyone and new hire hires what the expectations are and Trev's job pior to the hire is to make sure that the person fits the proper model he wants implemented. That is exactly what Barry Alvarez did as you described. Trev knows how to win and will implement in a leadership role.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

I admit it was dumb to say Frost is are only option. What I should have said is what sane coach would want to coach here if we keep firing with out us paying a crazy amount of money.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I admit it was dumb to say Frost is are only option. What I should have said is what sane coach would want to coach here if we keep firing with out us paying a crazy amount of money.
A person that wants to coach at the highest level of college football that is competent. It's not that hard to make a hire. It's harder to make the right hire. Every program goes through this until they get the right guy and when they get the right guy the turnaround is usally quick. Dabo's turnaround took longer than average. When Barry took the Wisconsin job he started slow but you could see the growth every season. Same thing with Saban at MSU - you could see the improvement year to year.

Scott Frost just sucks. I was wrong about him and so where many others. It happens. You just cut bait when it becomes clear it isn't going to work and you bring in the next person.

You should visit my list of names to discussion for the next head coach. Several of those names are proven winners that can still take the next step upward in the college football job world.

I watched a lot of games last weekend every coach that was interviewed by the sideline reporters looked the reporter square in the eyes or found the camera and made eye contact. Our coach didn’t or couldn’t make eye contact, Frost was looking sideways or starring at the turf. Chaw in his cheek, ball cap pulled down, scruffy wanna be beard. Frost doesn’t have the goods at this level.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC and NikkiSixx
I watched a lot of games last weekend every coach that was interviewed by the sideline reporters looked the reporter square in the eyes or found the camera and made eye contact. Our coach didn’t or couldn’t make eye contact, Frost was looking sideways or starring at the turf. Chaw in his cheek, ball cap pulled down, scruffy wanna be beard. Frost doesn’t have the goods at this level.
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with his professionalism. It's part of the job.

Ive been a member for a wile and have been reading this forum long before, this will be my first post tho but I think this should be said… If we fire Frost, and have to restart everything again I don’t think we recover. I know he hasn’t been what everybody expected but I think the Husker nation needs to take a deep breath and realize if he can’t succeed here no one will. This is a very tough job even without all the criticism from the media and my fellow fans. We all want the same thing, to be a title contender maybe not national but at least conference, or to at least be relevant again. I don’t think we have any idea how much of a culture shock it was after we fired Bo and hired Riley, only for Scott to inherit the mess. We have the talent just need to put it all together and make some changes to the staff, specifically Verduzco, Martinez is a good QB, could be great if it wasn’t for the fumbles and idk what Verduzco Is teaching him but I feel like he has the talent, its a mental issue he’s always second guessing himself which is why he can be so damn inconsistent.I mean he was getting heisman talk as a true freshman! Then Mario got ahold of him and his fundamentals went to hell. Idk if it’s the quizzes (which is stupid af IMO)all that’s doing is filling the QB’s head up with a bunch nonsense since it’s what you can do on the field that really matters but whatever he’s doing it’s causing Adrien to play so up tight, there’s been multiple times the receivers come open over the middle and he hesitates because he’s overthinking and afraid to make the play and he ends up gettin flushed, getting sacked or checking it down to a covered RB. Which brings me to my next point.. O-LINE… We have to get better there. Cam has been a dude, snaps have been a little off but it’s night and day over how they were. Other then him tho idk no one really stands out. So sick of watching them lightly jog or standing around watching Martinez run for his life. We finally have size and talent so I think it’s mostly bad coaching. The RBs look ok, would be a hell of a lot better if the line would get some push! Tight ends(Allen lol) and receivers Are looking pretty damn good. This is already way more then I was gonna say so I won’t break down the defense, since they have been pretty solid. Special teams have been dicey just think Cam Taylor-Brit should lay off the popcorn. We actually have consistent touch backs now! And Culps missed pats were a fluke. However I’m not so naïve, I understand the poor coaching in general is on Frost, and if he doesn’t make some changes it’ll be really tough sticking up for him. We’re only two games into the season so I think everybody should just chill out. We’re supposed to be the best fans in the land so stop with all the negativity and show some support for this team!
Thoughts?/discussion
GBR

Frost should be fired and we need a solid proven new coach. We already are the worse team so it cant get any worse.

Ok guys I get it lol. Frost is definitely underachieving. But The point of my post was we have only played 2 games and I know his track record sucks, and I’ll eat crow if we have another 4-8 season but till then put your pichforks away Just tired of all the negativity.

A person that wants to coach at the highest level of college football that is competent. It's not that hard to make a hire. It's harder to make the right hire. Every program goes through this until they get the right guy and when they get the right guy the turnaround is usally quick. Dabo's turnaround took longer than average. When Barry took the Wisconsin job he started slow but you could see the growth every season. Same thing with Saban at MSU - you could see the improvement year to year.

Scott Frost just sucks. I was wrong about him and so where many others. It happens. You just cut bait when it becomes clear it isn't going to work and you bring in the next person.

You should visit my list of names to discussion for the next head coach. Several of those names are proven winners that can still take the next step upward in the college football job world.
A person that wants to coach at the highest level of college football also isn't going to a place where the AD dictates what style of play the team will play. That is why there has not been one single coach from Wisconsin go on to do shit anywhere else. Not one. Bielema may be different at Illinois but a loss to UTSA definitely cast a shadow of doubt.

A coach is hired based on the success he had running his systems, be that offense, defense or both. Scott Frost was hired primarily because he was young, had a Nebraska background, and had success running an offense in the PAC 12 and at UCF. He doesn't take the job if the AD says we will hire you but you have to run the offense we want you to run. That is how you get guys like Frank Solich, Craig Bohl, Turner Gill etc..

A person that wants to coach at the highest level of college football also isn't going to a place where the AD dictates what style of play the team will play. That is why there has not been one single coach from Wisconsin go on to do shit anywhere else. Not one. Bielema may be different at Illinois but a loss to UTSA definitely cast a shadow of doubt.

A coach is hired based on the success he had running his systems, be that offense, defense or both. Scott Frost was hired primarily because he was young, had a Nebraska background, and had success running an offense in the PAC 12 and at UCF. He doesn't take the job if the AD says we will hire you but you have to run the offense we want you to run. That is how you get guys like Frank Solich, Craig Bohl, Turner Gill etc..

that is why you hire the person that runs the right system that has won at Nebraska in the past, which I already outlined in my posts.

Barry did at Wisconsin so you know it can work here too.

that is why you hire the person that runs the right system that has won at Nebraska in the past, which I already outlined in my posts.

Barry did at Wisconsin so you know it can work here too.
But what has worked at Wisconsin? As I have written a million times. They play in one of the weakest divisions in college football, they lose a vast majority of the games they play against more talented teams. They beat Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern for 6 wins, beat a couple of patsies they bring in for the non con, then beat the bottom dwellers they play from the East. They have a handful of wins against Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St. over the last 10 years, and are 7-5 in their last 12 bowl games. 0-4 in Rose Bowls.

Wisconsin is 1-4 in Big Ten title games against teams from the Big Ten East. That one win was against a 3 loss Michigan St team in the inaugural championship game.

It just isn't all that successful. Hell Solich and Pelini were fired for those types of results. Both guys hand picked by the legend himself.

But what has worked at Wisconsin? As I have written a million times. They play in one of the weakest divisions in college football, they lose a vast majority of the games they play against more talented teams. They beat Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern for 6 wins, beat a couple of patsies they bring in for the non con, then beat the bottom dwellers they play from the East. They have a handful of wins against Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St. over the last 10 years, and are 7-5 in their last 12 bowl games. 0-4 in Rose Bowls.

Wisconsin is 1-4 in Big Ten title games against teams from the Big Ten East. That one win was against a 3 loss Michigan St team in the inaugural championship game.

It just isn't all that successful. Hell Solich and Pelini were fired for those types of results. Both guys hand picked by the legend himself.
This post literally gives me an erection!

100% agree. The west is horrible and all Barry did was schedule (usually) 3 really shitty NC games, get to 3-0 and then all you have to do is beat crappy teams in the west or back in the day, just lose to OSU and MIchigan and if you even split against the other shitty teams you are like a 7 or 8 win team.

People seem to think that MSU has always been good, they have not, they had a 6 year run where they were solid, that is it. Purdue's best years, under Tiller. Illinois, yikes, NW yikes, Indiana??? Iowa, lame

This post literally gives me an erection!

100% agree. The west is horrible and all Barry did was schedule (usually) 3 really shitty NC games, get to 3-0 and then all you have to do is beat crappy teams in the west or back in the day, just lose to OSU and MIchigan and if you even split against the other shitty teams you are like a 7 or 8 win team.

People seem to think that MSU has always been good, they have not, they had a 6 year run where they were solid, that is it. Purdue's best years, under Tiller. Illinois, yikes, NW yikes, Indiana??? Iowa, lame
Yet he seems to think that doing things the Wisconsin way is the way back to relevancy?

Yeah, let's go with 4 and 5 WR sets with with zone OL blocking and see how that works at Nebraska. lol. So stupid. It has already failed. It's called Scott Frost.

What has won at Nebraska in the past? Smash mouth rushing attack, good defense, good special teams.

But let's pretend like Barry didn't win at a high level or Wisconsin never won the Big Ten over the last 20 years with their current system.

Arguing that Wisconsin hasn't won at a high level is so fricking idiotic. They have the 5th best winning percentage in the last 5 seasons in all of FBS football.

Yeah, let's go with 4 and 5 WR sets with with zone OL blocking and see how that works at Nebraska. lol. So stupid. It has already failed. It's called Scott Frost.

What has won at Nebraska in the past? Smash mouth rushing attack, good defense, good special teams.

But let's pretend like Barry didn't win at a high level or Wisconsin never won the Big Ten over the last 20 years with their current system.

Arguing that Wisconsin hasn't won at a high level is so fricking idiotic. They have the 5th best winning percentage in the last 5 seasons in all of FBS football.
It is what they are feasting on.

Look, we had that with Bo, remember the "Only Bama and BSU have 9/10 wins each of the last _________ seasons" but you dongs could not handle the fact that Bo (like all coaches) hated us fans.

We had the winning % we had finishing 1/2 in the division, we had the 9/10 win season each year.

Reactions: bshirt73
Ok guys I get it lol. Frost is definitely underachieving. But The point of my post was we have only played 2 games and I know his track record sucks, and I’ll eat crow if we have another 4-8 season but till then put your pichforks away Just tired of all the negativity.
If keeping it real is being negative, then I'm you're Huckleberry .

It is what they are feasting on.

Look, we had that with Bo, remember the "Only Bama and BSU have 9/10 wins each of the last _________ seasons" but you dongs could not handle the fact that Bo (like all coaches) hated us fans.

We had the winning % we had finishing 1/2 in the division, we had the 9/10 win season each year.

This program hasn't had it right with a smash-mouth rushing attack, good defense, and good special teams since the firing of Solich.

A lot of names people post are just continuations of systems that have failed since Solich. When I put together my own list, I followed certain criteria.

And keeping Scott Frost if he has another losing season? WTF would you purposely handicap the next staff before they would even be interviewed? Some need to reall get a dose of the reality of what is happening.

Come end of October and Frost will have already locked in another losing season.

This program hasn't had it right with a smash-mouth rushing attack, good defense, and good special teams since the firing of Solich.

A lot of names people post are just continuations of systems that have failed since Solich. When I put together my own list, I followed certain criteria.

And keeping Scott Frost if he has another losing season? WTF would you purposely handicap the next staff before they would even be interviewed? Some need to reall get a dose of the reality of what is happening.

Come end of October and Frost will have already locked in another losing season.
But you can agree with had what Barry had with Bo, right?

But that was not enough for the dong fans.

Getting rid of Frost is fine with me, can't wait to have Coach Gus here!

I see this take a lot and it isn’t a good one because some context is needed.

Firing a coach who is showing some improvement is a bad look and can scare some candidates away, but coaches understand what bad coaches look like, and Frost is a bad coach. They know the talent he’s brought in and the lack of success with it. They know he aint getting it done and is basically a dead man walking.

In Frosts case, (assuming he doesnt have a miraculous turnaround), it would actually be WORSE waiting a year because recruits will also know he’s a dead man walking and it will basically be a poor class. Then if you wait a year to fire him, there will be another poor class with the transition to a new staff.

So the candidates would know they’d be walking into back-to-back subpar classes instead of one.

Not good.

Facts. Can anyone tell me which school and what system the school uses?

The head coach is in the top 7 winning percentages of the last 5 seasons. 2-time coach of the year. One of 3 coaches in this conference to win 50 games in 5 years ever. 4-1 in bowl games. 3 NY6 wins.

There is one poster in this thread that isn't going to like those facts.

Ive been a member for a wile and have been reading this forum long before, this will be my first post tho but I think this should be said…
If we fire Frost, and have to restart everything again I don’t think we recover. I know he hasn’t been what everybody expected but I think the Husker nation needs to take a deep breath and realize if he can’t succeed here no one will.

This is a very tough job even without all the criticism from the media and my fellow fans. We all want the same thing, to be a title contender maybe not national but at least conference, or to at least be relevant again.
I don’t think we have any idea how much of a culture shock it was after we fired Bo and hired Riley, only for Scott to inherit the mess. We have the talent just need to put it all together and make some changes to the staff, specifically Verduzco.

Martinez is a good QB, could be great if it wasn’t for the fumbles and idk what Verduzco Is teaching him but I feel like he has the talent, its a mental issue he’s always second guessing himself which is why he can be so damn inconsistent.
I mean he was getting heisman talk as a true freshman! Then Mario got ahold of him and his fundamentals went to hell. Idk if it’s the quizzes (which is stupid af IMO)all that’s doing is filling the QB’s head up with a bunch nonsense since it’s what you can do on the field that really matters but whatever he’s doing it’s causing Adrien to play so up tight, there’s been multiple times the receivers come open over the middle and he hesitates because he’s overthinking and afraid to make the play and he ends up gettin flushed, getting sacked or checking it down to a covered RB.
Which brings me to my next point.. O-LINE… We have to get better there. Cam has been a dude, snaps have been a little off but it’s night and day over how they were. Other then him tho idk no one really stands out. So sick of watching them lightly jog or standing around watching Martinez run for his life. We finally have size and talent so I think it’s mostly bad coaching.
The RBs look ok, would be a hell of a lot better if the line would get some push! Tight ends(Allen lol) and receivers Are looking pretty damn good. This is already way more then I was gonna say so I won’t break down the defense, since they have been pretty solid. Special teams have been dicey just think Cam Taylor-Brit should lay off the popcorn.

We actually have consistent touch backs now! And Culps missed pats were a fluke. However I’m not so naïve, I understand the poor coaching in general is on Frost, and if he doesn’t make some changes it’ll be really tough sticking up for him. We’re only two games into the season so I think everybody should just chill out.

We’re supposed to be the best fans in the land so stop with all the negativity and show some support for this team!
Thoughts?/discussion
GBR

I see this take a lot and it isn’t a good one because some context is needed.

Firing a coach who is showing some improvement is a bad look and can scare some candidates away, but coaches understand what bad coaches look like, and Frost is a bad coach. They know the talent he’s brought in and the lack of success with it. They know he aint getting it done and is basically a dead man walking.

In Frosts case, (assuming he doesnt have a miraculous turnaround), it would actually be WORSE waiting a year because recruits will also know he’s a dead man walking and it will basically be a poor class. Then if you wait a year to fire him, there will be another poor class with the transition to a new staff.

So the candidates would know they’d be walking into back-to-back subpar classes instead of one.

Not good.
Yeah good takes bro. I agree to a certain extent. Idk tho I guess I just hate to see to see this, I highly doubt they’ll fire him based on two games. I think without that dumb penalty on cams int, and the scoop and score we’re not even having this convo, at least not to this extent

Yeah good takes bro. I agree to a certain extent. Idk tho I guess I just hate to see to see this, I highly doubt they’ll fire him based on two games. I think without that dumb penalty on cams int, and the scoop and score we’re not even having this convo, at least not to this extent
It will be ok man. No need to stress over it. In the business world any person that can't do their job well eventually gets fired. It's no different in the coaching profession. Frost will get plenty of money for a few years as payments are made and a new staff will come in and do their thing.

People were saying Alabama would never be good again. People were saying USC would never be good again and then they ran off like 35 wins a row after hiring Pete. People said Oklahoma would never be good again and then they hired Stoops.

Reactions: redwine65

I think this was exactly Nebraska's success model in the past. Big 8 or Big 12 North. Same weak division and only playing a couple of tough games a year. Couldn't win the big one. No difference from the setup today.

I think it's something we should absolutely consider (AD dictating the system).

We have tried bringing in new coaches with their system, going through the player turnover as they implement it and in some cases, even having some success (Callahans offense).

It's a lot of work doing it that way, and a lot of experimentation. Haven't we had enough of that experimentation already?

If the AD sets the system, you don't need 5 million dollar coaches to come in and run it.

Yes, you are taking some of the good stuff off the plate for a top tier coach, but you are also making it easier for any coach to succeed.

I wonder how many NFL head coaches get to run their own system? I'm guessing it's not as many as people think. GM's & team owners have their hands all over that.

Anyway, I do think this is the direction Trev should go, and it might just save Scott's job, if he is willing to work under that system. If he is too stubborn to do that, send him packing and promote someone on the staff to do it for the interim.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT