ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts/Break down

I think this was exactly Nebraska's success model in the past. Big 8 or Big 12 North. Same weak division and only playing a couple of tough games a year. Couldn't win the big one. No difference from the setup today.

I think it's something we should absolutely consider (AD dictating the system).

We have tried bringing in new coaches with their system, going through the player turnover as they implement it and in some cases, even having some success (Callahans offense).

It's a lot of work doing it that way, and a lot of experimentation. Haven't we had enough of that experimentation already?

If the AD sets the system, you don't need 5 million dollar coaches to come in and run it.

Yes, you are taking some of the good stuff off the plate for a top tier coach, but you are also making it easier for any coach to succeed.

I wonder how many NFL head coaches get to run their own system? I'm guessing it's not as many as people think. GM's & team owners have their hands all over that.

Anyway, I do think this is the direction Trev should go, and it might just save Scott's job, if he is willing to work under that system. If he is too stubborn to do that, send him packing and promote someone on the staff to do it for the interim.
I sometimes chuckle when we say that the Big 8 was weak as well as the Big 12. Yes, there are periods of that, but Oklahoma outside of the 90's was always good, Mizzou had some decent teams, Colorado was real good for awhile, Kansas in the early 90's was damn near a Top 10 team, K-State had a meteoric rise in the 90's as well as a bunch of other teams being ok outside of probably Iowa St.

Most other conferences suffer from the same thing. The Big 10 is Ohio St. and everyone else, the SEC is basically Alabama and everyone else outside of when an LSU or Georgia can rise up.

I think Nebraska just needs to go back and get an identity. We probably aren't competing for a title anytime soon, but go create an identity. I don't even care if it is a gimmick type thing like Oregon. At least we would know who we are... Don't get me wrong, I love our tradition, but times change. Reinvent NU. It may piss some of the blue hairs off, but go rewrite the script. Change up the Tunnel Walk, incorporate a lot more uniforms and find something on the football field that is unique. We can't go any lower, blow it all up.

I sometimes chuckle when we say that the Big 8 was weak as well as the Big 12. Yes, there are periods of that, but Oklahoma outside of the 90's was always good, Mizzou had some decent teams, Colorado was real good for awhile, Kansas in the early 90's was damn near a Top 10 team, K-State had a meteoric rise in the 90's as well as a bunch of other teams being ok outside of probably Iowa St.

Most other conferences suffer from the same thing. The Big 10 is Ohio St. and everyone else, the SEC is basically Alabama and everyone else outside of when an LSU or Georgia can rise up.

I think Nebraska just needs to go back and get an identity. We probably aren't competing for a title anytime soon, but go create an identity. I don't even care if it is a gimmick type thing like Oregon. At least we would know who we are... Don't get me wrong, I love our tradition, but times change. Reinvent NU. It may piss some of the blue hairs off, but go rewrite the script. Change up the Tunnel Walk, incorporate a lot more uniforms and find something on the football field that is unique. We can't go any lower, blow it all up.
I get what you're saying, except we have tried that identity thing.. pro style system under BC, back to somewhat old style run heavy Nebraska under Pelini (which did get us 9+ wins a year) and now some RPO Oregon uptempo thing that flips clock control and stingy defensive ideas upside down in favor of more offensive attempts and giving up 30 a game. (I have serious issues with the current scheme ;) )

I think we have tried the different identity thing, and even tried the different uniform thing too with alternates..

We should probably go back to what we know works.

We have big offensive linemen now, and with some real coaching, maybe we can get a real run game going. We also have the running backs to do it.

We have enough decent WR to pass 15 times a game successfully.

The current offense is too complicated for someone like AM. and Frost system requires a Milton or Mariota to be successful.

I think this was exactly Nebraska's success model in the past. Big 8 or Big 12 North. Same weak division and only playing a couple of tough games a year. Couldn't win the big one. No difference from the setup today.

I think it's something we should absolutely consider (AD dictating the system).

We have tried bringing in new coaches with their system, going through the player turnover as they implement it and in some cases, even having some success (Callahans offense).

It's a lot of work doing it that way, and a lot of experimentation. Haven't we had enough of that experimentation already?

If the AD sets the system, you don't need 5 million dollar coaches to come in and run it.

Yes, you are taking some of the good stuff off the plate for a top tier coach, but you are also making it easier for any coach to succeed.

I wonder how many NFL head coaches get to run their own system? I'm guessing it's not as many as people think. GM's & team owners have their hands all over that.

Anyway, I do think this is the direction Trev should go, and it might just save Scott's job, if he is willing to work under that system. If he is too stubborn to do that, send him packing and promote someone on the staff to do it for the interim.
I think that ship has sailed for Nebraska for a couple of reasons. Alvarez was a successful coach before becoming AD, Alberts does not have that experience.

Nebraska had a taste of national success that Wisconsin and Iowa have never had. So just winning 7-9-11 per year isn’t the goal.

Wisconsin hired Alvarez to be AD when he retired from coaching, while Osborne went to Congress. When Osborne did hire coaches we got Solich and Pelini. Both fired for not meeting the standard set by Osborne.

As far as the NFL stuff, those positions turnover every 3-5 years, except for a handful of successful teams. For every organization that appears to dictate system like Pittsburgh Steelers and wins there is an organization that dictates system and is mediocre like Dallas Cowboys.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I get what you're saying, except we have tried that identity thing.. pro style system under BC, back to somewhat old style run heavy Nebraska under Pelini (which did get us 9+ wins a year) and now some RPO Oregon uptempo thing that flips clock control and stingy defensive ideas upside down in favor of more offensive attempts and giving up 30 a game. (I have serious issues with the current scheme ;) )

I think we have tried the different identity thing, and even tried the different uniform thing too with alternates..

We should probably go back to what we know works.

We have big offensive linemen now, and with some real coaching, maybe we can get a real run game going. We also have the running backs to do it.

We have enough decent WR to pass 15 times a game successfully.

The current offense is too complicated for someone like AM. and Frost system requires a Milton or Mariota to be successful.
What is our identity right now? We don't have one, that is the problem. We are constantly switching things up. In my opinion I wish Frost would just pick something. Go full Oregon or Go back to a just straight running game type O with minimal passing, but right now we are all over the place.

I do like that O Coordinator from Ole Miss that runs the Baylor Offense. A guy like him could come in and maybe take some pressure off Frost. Won't happen, but he brings identity and actual coaching skill to the Offense.

I think that ship has sailed for Nebraska for a couple of reasons. Alvarez was a successful coach before becoming AD, Alberts does not have that experience.

Nebraska had a taste of national success that Wisconsin and Iowa have never had. So just winning 7-9-11 per year isn’t the goal.

Wisconsin hired Alvarez to be AD when he retired from coaching, while Osborne went to Congress. When Osborne did hire coaches we got Solich and Pelini. Both fired for not meeting the standard set by Osborne.

As far as the NFL stuff, those positions turnover every 3-5 years, except for a handful of successful teams. For every organization that appears to dictate system like Pittsburgh Steelers and wins there is an organization that dictates system and is mediocre like Dallas Cowboys.
Trev doesn't have to be a successful coach that Alvarez was, but he played here during that time, so he does know something about the system and success in general.

As to national success, Wisconsin has not had the level of success because their coaches do not stick around like Tom did, but Tom's breakthrough only occurred after tweaking the defense after many years of losing bowl games to Miami and FSU. Most of his run was 9 and 10 win seasons.

So I think 2 things come out of this as being important.

A run heavy system that doesn't really change from year to year, or coach to coach. It changes slightly based on the personnel, but not in ideology or identity.

The second piece of this is staff longevity and being able to tweak things as needed.

This has to be a joke How many losing seasons should we have before enough is enough? I’d say this is it. For Gods sake we are the worst or nearly the worst team in the BIG. Just stop. The right coaching staff will abruptly turn things around.
This. We have a jv coaching staff.

What is our identity right now? We don't have one, that is the problem. We are constantly switching things up. In my opinion I wish Frost would just pick something. Go full Oregon or Go back to a just straight running game type O with minimal passing, but right now we are all over the place.

I do like that O Coordinator from Ole Miss that runs the Baylor Offense. A guy like him could come in and maybe take some pressure off Frost. Won't happen, but he brings identity and actual coaching skill to the Offense.
This is why I want the AD to set the identity to what we know works here.

I disagree with you here. I don't think the AD needs to set anything. I feel like we just need to find the correct coach that implements their style. I think Wisconsin is an exception. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St, and others aren't driven by the AD, they are driven by the coach. Need a headman that can not only recruit, but can also develop players and instill what they want to do.

I feel like Frost is trying way to hard to appease the fan base and getting away from what made him successful

Then the AD needs to hire a coach that will run the AD's identity.

I think it is a mistake to hire a coach that does one thing and then tell him you have to run this now. That would be like making a movie with Carrot Top and not letting him use his props.

I disagree with you here. I don't think the AD needs to set anything. I feel like we just need to find the correct coach that implements their style. I think Wisconsin is an exception. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St, and others aren't driven by the AD, they are driven by the coach. Need a headman that can not only recruit, but can also develop players and instill what they want to do.

I feel like Frost is trying way to hard to appease the fan base and getting away from what made him successful
Nebraska is nothing like these programs.

Nebraska NEEDS to be a bit different. We can't go out and run the spread air raid, we can't run a west coast offense, etc, etc. It has not worked and will not work for all reasons we have already come to know.

The AD can set the tone of bringing in the right coach that runs the right system to implement what has worked in the past and that is how the "AD controls/implements" it.

Your examples of OSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc, can run any system since they can recruit to it pretty easily regardless. Not the case at all at Nebraska.

Nebraska is nothing like these programs.

Nebraska NEEDS to be a bit different. We can't go out and run the spread air raid, we can't run a west coast offense, etc, etc. It has not worked and will not work for all reasons we have already come to know.

The AD can set the tone of bringing in the right coach that runs the right system to implement what has worked in the past and that is how the "AD controls/implements" it.

Your examples of OSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc, can run any system since they can recruit to it pretty easily regardless. Not the case at all at Nebraska.
No, anything can work, you just need a head man that can implement it. If instead of the option, NU had made it's name on the WCO system, we would all be clamoring to go back to that. We love our tradition and the nostalgia of what we were from the late 60's to early 2000's, but times change.

It's definitely my opinion, but I think Frost needs to go back and do what made him successful and that is a Chip Kelly Oregon type offense. Get fast as hell skill position players with more athletic lineman that aren't so big and bulky and just go faster than everyone else. He does need to get a QB to execute that plan, but trying to combine like 3 different systems just isn't working. We don't have to be the Big Red Machine from the hay day that is bigger and stronger than every one else.

Hell last night during the Ole Miss game that kept talking about how a lot of teams are going to a 3DL - 2-LB 6 DB system just to get speed on the field... Nebraska is not athletic right now and that is a big part of our problem.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
No, anything can work, you just need a head man that can implement it. If instead of the option, NU had made it's name on the WCO system, we would all be clamoring to go back to that. We love our tradition and the nostalgia of what we were from the late 60's to early 2000's, but times change.

It's definitely my opinion, but I think Frost needs to go back and do what made him successful and that is a Chip Kelly Oregon type offense. Get fast as hell skill position players with more athletic lineman that aren't so big and bulky and just go faster than everyone else. He does need to get a QB to execute that plan, but trying to combine like 3 different systems just isn't working. We don't have to be the Big Red Machine from the hay day that is bigger and stronger than every one else.

Hell last night during the Ole Miss game that kept talking about how a lot of teams are going to a 3DL - 2-LB 6 DB system just to get speed on the field... Nebraska is not athletic right now and that is a big part of our problem.
No, not anything can work. To run certain systems you need a certain type of talent.

No, not anything can work. To run certain systems you need a certain type of talent.
That's false, sometimes you have to tear things down to the studs and change. UCLA did this with Chip not that long ago. At one point they had like 50 people on their roster and everyone was down on Chip, now all of the sudden the visor is back! It all comes down to coaching, so we can agree to disagree. A good coach can make their system work anywhere.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

Bo LOVED the 6 DB's.

Then the AD needs to hire a coach that will run the AD's identity.

I think it is a mistake to hire a coach that does one thing and then tell him you have to run this now. That would be like making a movie with Carrot Top and not letting him use his props.

so fire Scott.. I'm fine with that. Put in your new system with the new coach.

If you want to give Scott the opportunity to try to run the old system, you can offer it.

I was trying to bridge the divide here, but I'm ok with sending him on his merry way.

Reactions: SuperBigFan

Except he hasn't been successful here. He needs a very special QB in order to make his system go. We aren't getting those types of guys except once in a blue moon. His system has to go regardless.

Reactions: BleedRed78

I'd rather stampede that kind of lack of size on the defense...

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Trev might start running things here like Barry Alvarez did at Wisconsin.

What I mean by that, is the actual coach doesn't become that important, because the system would be dictated by the AD.

It's time to take that part of the decision making process away from the head coach.

Trev lays down the system, and the coaches coach it.

This is what I think needs to happen this year.
LOL. What a seriously bad take. I don't think Barry was calling plays or coaching practices. Maybe giving advice. Coaches that would come here and let the AD run the program would be zero.

Except he hasn't been successful here. He needs a very special QB in order to make his system go. We aren't getting those types of guys except once in a blue moon. His system has to go regardless.
I'm not saying Frost is the guy and I agree with you on the QB thing, I just don't think the AD needs to set the system. I think it worked for Wisconsin, but I'm more of a firm believer we just need to get a really good coach, regardless of the system he wants to run.

That's false, sometimes you have to tear things down to the studs and change. UCLA did this with Chip not that long ago. At one point they had like 50 people on their roster and everyone was down on Chip, now all of the sudden the visor is back! It all comes down to coaching, so we can agree to disagree. A good coach can make their system work anywhere.
Sorry, but you are wrong. If you run RPO why would you want a slow QB? If you pass 75% of the time, why would you want a weak-armed and inaccurate QB?

Scott Frost trying to make AM a pocket passer shows the incompetence of Scott Frost.

Ive been a member for a wile and have been reading this forum long before, this will be my first post tho but I think this should be said…
If we fire Frost, and have to restart everything again I don’t think we recover. I know he hasn’t been what everybody expected but I think the Husker nation needs to take a deep breath and realize if he can’t succeed here no one will.

This is a very tough job even without all the criticism from the media and my fellow fans. We all want the same thing, to be a title contender maybe not national but at least conference, or to at least be relevant again.
I don’t think we have any idea how much of a culture shock it was after we fired Bo and hired Riley, only for Scott to inherit the mess. We have the talent just need to put it all together and make some changes to the staff, specifically Verduzco.

Martinez is a good QB, could be great if it wasn’t for the fumbles and idk what Verduzco Is teaching him but I feel like he has the talent, its a mental issue he’s always second guessing himself which is why he can be so damn inconsistent.
I mean he was getting heisman talk as a true freshman! Then Mario got ahold of him and his fundamentals went to hell. Idk if it’s the quizzes (which is stupid af IMO)all that’s doing is filling the QB’s head up with a bunch nonsense since it’s what you can do on the field that really matters but whatever he’s doing it’s causing Adrien to play so up tight, there’s been multiple times the receivers come open over the middle and he hesitates because he’s overthinking and afraid to make the play and he ends up gettin flushed, getting sacked or checking it down to a covered RB.
Which brings me to my next point.. O-LINE… We have to get better there. Cam has been a dude, snaps have been a little off but it’s night and day over how they were. Other then him tho idk no one really stands out. So sick of watching them lightly jog or standing around watching Martinez run for his life. We finally have size and talent so I think it’s mostly bad coaching.
The RBs look ok, would be a hell of a lot better if the line would get some push! Tight ends(Allen lol) and receivers Are looking pretty damn good. This is already way more then I was gonna say so I won’t break down the defense, since they have been pretty solid. Special teams have been dicey just think Cam Taylor-Brit should lay off the popcorn.

We actually have consistent touch backs now! And Culps missed pats were a fluke. However I’m not so naïve, I understand the poor coaching in general is on Frost, and if he doesn’t make some changes it’ll be really tough sticking up for him. We’re only two games into the season so I think everybody should just chill out.

We’re supposed to be the best fans in the land so stop with all the negativity and show some support for this team!
Thoughts?/discussion
GBR
I stopped at Martinez is a good qb.

Sorry, but you are wrong. If you run RPO why would you want a slow QB? If you pass 75% of the time, why would you want a weak-armed and inaccurate QB?

Scott Frost trying to make AM a pocket passer shows the incompetence of Scott Frost.
What are you talking about? Your response has nothing to do what I am talking about. You might want to re-read.

What are you talking about? Your response has nothing to do what I am talking about. You might want to re-read.
I stated you need a certain type of skill set to run certain types of systems to be successful at it. At Nebraska you can't recruit successfully for any type of system. that has already been proven since the Solich days.

I'm right, you are wrong. Simple as that.

I stated you need a certain type of skill set to run certain types of systems to be successful at it. At Nebraska you can't recruit successfully for any type of system. that has already been proven since the Solich days.

Good try message board hero... You have proved nothing. We can recruit anything to NU, just have to have the coach that can get them here... You are delusional if you think that a good proven coach couldn't recruit to his system, not matter what the system is, at Nebraska. You aren't getting it, so don't respond back. I award you 0 points and may god have mercy on your soul.

I'm not saying Frost is the guy and I agree with you on the QB thing, I just don't think the AD needs to set the system. I think it worked for Wisconsin, but I'm more of a firm believer we just need to get a really good coach, regardless of the system he wants to run.
I know what you mean, but each time we have brought in someone, they had their own 'system' and there was this huge adjustment square peg/round hole issue, which we suffered through before.

From what some of the feedback on this board is, people don't want to go through all that again, because each time it has not been very successful (except maybe Bo's marginal success).

What I am getting at here is sort of a bridge back to what works.

Sure, it doesn't have to be set by the AD, but in some ways, I would welcome that. It would set the standard, and identity that you talk about. If you bring in someone else, and they get to run whatever they want, then you're just rolling the dice.

Besides, I also think it's important to keep the staff going too. If a head coach goes, it doesn't mean you have to replace everyone on the staff. There is no rule that the head coach gets to come in and fire everyone and bring his new staff in. It's a silly and expensive way to do business.

I think we can be smarter than that, by having the AD set the identity. The coach has all the tools to actually coach that identity. If they don't like the system here, they wouldn't apply to be here.

If someone doesn't work out on the staff, then the head coach removes them down the road, but they didn't need to make wholesale changes in the beginning.

When Bo came in, we kind of forced him into keeping Shawn Watson. And that turned out okay. We kept some others on the staff too.

Just seems like a better way to go, because those guys that don't want the husker program to go through another huge ordeal are right in that aspect.

Seems like everyone gets a little bit of what they want (if Scott wants to coach a run heavy traditional team) and if not, then we haven't blown up the entire staff to find someone who will coach that.

We have to at least start getting back to being respectable again.

Just my opinion, I understand everyone has strong feelings on it and always appreciated your support over the years. It's all good.

Last edited:

No you aren’t. There are programs all over the country that run a variety of systems and have had a decent amount of success.

you have simply been brainwashed into thinking that you have to have a power run offense to be successful at Nebraska.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I know what you mean, but each time we have brought in someone, they had their own 'system' and there was this huge adjustment square peg/round hole issue, which we suffered through before.

From what some of the feedback on this board is, people don't want to go through all that again, because each time it has not been very successful (except maybe Bo's marginal success).

What I am getting at here is sort of a bridge back to what works.

Sure, it doesn't have to be set by the AD, but in some ways, I would welcome that. It would set the standard, and identity that you talk about. If you bring in someone else, and they get to run whatever they want, then you're just rolling the dice.

Besides, I also think it's important to keep the staff going too. If a head coach goes, it doesn't mean you have to replace everyone on the staff. There is no rule that the head coach gets to come in and fire everyone and bring his new staff in. It's a silly and expensive way to do business.

I think we can be smarter than that, by having the AD set the identity. The coach has all the tools to actually coach the system to the identity. If they don't like the system here, they wouldn't apply to be here.

If someone doesn't work out on the staff, then the head coach removes them down the road, but they didn't need to make wholesale changes.

When Bo came in, we kind of forced him into keeping Shawn Watson. And that turned out okay. We kept some others on the staff too.

Just seems like a better way to go, because those guys that don't want the husker program to go through another huge ordeal are right in that aspect.

Seems like everyone gets a little bit of what they want (if Scott wants to coach a run heavy traditional team) and if not, then we haven't blown up the entire staff to find someone who will coach that.

We have to at least start getting back to being respectable again.

Just my opinion, I understand everyone has strong feelings on it and always appreciated your support over the years. It's all good.

I see what you are saying, but it still comes back to at Nebraska we expect too much because of our history and we want a quick fix. The Callahan experiment actually could have worked if he would have just worked on the defense. Yes it sucked the first couple of years, but you did see that we could change and recruit to that type of system as we got a lot of good players.

I just feel like we need a really good coach that also fits the culture that also brings a really good staff. We are at the lowest of the low points. Now would be the time to find the coach who would be able to implement what they want to do as it can't get worse.

No you aren’t. There are programs all over the country that run a variety of systems and have had a decent amount of success.

you have simply been brainwashed into thinking that you have to have a power run offense to be successful at Nebraska.
And many of those programs have strong ties to recruiting areas that feed their system.

Nebraska is unique in it's geography and proximity to recruiting grounds, and by association, has to do things differently for long term success.

BC showed that the pro system can work here, but that was never going to work long term, because the next coach might not be able to recruit those kinds of passers. For Nebraska's long term success, it has to resemble more of what it used to be. At least we have prior proof that model is sustainable.

Some fans have failed to learn why Nebraska has failed since Solich and some in this very thread are repeating the same mistakes made since Solich that would just lead to continued failure. It's remarkable that some have not learned better.

You can't successfully run any random system at Nebraska and be successful. It simply does not work that way here at Nebraska. It has failed and would fail again over and over and over and over and over.

One can try and compare Nebraska to USC or some other school in a major recruiting hotbed, but that is just idiotic and some that are making that mistake are doing it in this very thread.

What has won at Nebraska is smash-mouth rushing attack, good defense, good special teams. That IS the recipe for success at Nebraska and it is simply amazing that some fail to learn why that is.

Reactions: bshirt73
Facts. Can anyone tell me which school and what system the school uses?

The head coach is in the top 7 winning percentages of the last 5 seasons. 2-time coach of the year. One of 3 coaches in this conference to win 50 games in 5 years ever. 4-1 in bowl games. 3 NY6 wins.

There is one poster in this thread that isn't going to like those facts.
Since nobody answered this, I'll tell you the anwers.

Smash mouth rushing attack, good defense, good special teams.

Wisconsin.

Mic drop.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
And many of those programs have strong ties to recruiting areas that feed their system.

Nebraska is unique in it's geography and proximity to recruiting grounds, and by association, has to do things differently for long term success.

BC showed that the pro system can work here, but that was never going to work long term, because the next coach might not be able to recruit those kinds of passers. For Nebraska's long term success, it has to resemble more of what it used to be. At least we have prior proof that model is sustainable.
That system was sustainable while Osborne was here.

what has worked doesn’t mean that is the only thing that will work. People get that confused.
The wishbone worked for some schools in the past and won national titles, but that doesn’t mean that those schools can only run wishbone.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Lance Leipold, as an example, coached at a D3 school in Wisconsin and he basically won the D3 title every year. Not many P5 schools will go out and hire a D3 coach so he had to find a job like Buffalo to prove himself. He won at Buffalo. Then he got his P5 gig. Now the next step for him is to compete at the highest level of college football.

If Trev Alberts went to kansas to offer Lance the job, he would take it and not thing twice. Lance gets pissed when players make mistakes ad he actually constantly coaches up his players. He is a winner.
Lets let Lance prove himself before Trev makes the trip south,
At Whitewater he took over a powerhouse which helps, Went .528 at Buffalo and is obviously unproven at Kansas. I remember when Turner Gill was the Name and Kansas got him and it went really really poorly. Not saying Lance is not a great coach but it is different at the P5 level especially when you are no longer a powerhouse program. I think you could take Scott Frost and put him at Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson and he would do great there. We are still fighting culture, hints the Transfer Portal issues. But this program is so broken that I don't know a single coach that can fix it within 3 years. Then we are in the same cycle fire, hire, sub-par seasons, then it starts over. We can not build a program changing coaches 3-4 years.

Since nobody answered this, I'll tell you the anwers.

Smash mouth rushing attack, good defense, good special teams.

Wisconsin.

Mic drop.
You lose all credibility when you say "smash mouth" and outside of the Russell Wilson years they aren't some juggernaut. The key is finding a coach who can get us to perform in all three phases of the game as well as recruit good players. Also thinking we can compete for a Natty should totally go away. Your so called "smash mouth' type teams (Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, etc.) aren't competing for National Titles and neither would we if that is the route we wanted to take, but would our fan base be ok with winning 7-10 games a year and maybe making an occasional trip to Indy to be beat down by Ohio St., and maybe catching lightning in a bottle to get us to a Rose Bowl?

Solich - Rode Osborne guys, didn't recruit well and failed to change. As offense adapted and defense adapted, we didn't. That is what made Osborne the man, he was constantly changing and it just wasn't always a "smash mouth" attack.

Callahan: Decent at Offense and Special Teams, but Defense is what killed him in the long run. If he makes a big boy hire on D, he may still be here. Also a stud recruiter, but wasn't good at all 3 phases

Pelini: Needed to figure out how to recruit and was hampered that he couldn't get an offense going when he needed it the most. Should have won back to back Big 12 titles, but had no offense. If he wins those, it's easier to recruit and possibly is still here, but instead he was lacking in recruiting and he was ousted.

Frost: Offense and Special Teams are dreadful while the defense continues to improve. The players are in place here to win games, they just aren't being developed. Our S&C Program is stuck in 1980 and we are just not athletic.

You lose all credibility when you say "smash mouth" and outside of the Russell Wilson years they aren't some juggernaut. The key is finding a coach who can get us to perform in all three phases of the game as well as recruit good players. Also thinking we can compete for a Natty should totally go away. Your so called "smash mouth' type teams (Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, etc.) aren't competing for National Titles and neither would we if that is the route we wanted to take, but would our fan base be ok with winning 7-10 games a year and maybe making an occasional trip to Indy to be beat down by Ohio St., and maybe catching lightning in a bottle to get us to a Rose Bowl?

Solich - Rode Osborne guys, didn't recruit well and failed to change. As offense adapted and defense adapted, we didn't. That is what made Osborne the man, he was constantly changing and it just wasn't always a "smash mouth" attack.

Callahan: Decent at Offense and Special Teams, but Defense is what killed him in the long run. If he makes a big boy hire on D, he may still be here. Also a stud recruiter, but wasn't good at all 3 phases

Pelini: Needed to figure out how to recruit and was hampered that he couldn't get an offense going when he needed it the most. Should have won back to back Big 12 titles, but had no offense. If he wins those, it's easier to recruit and possibly is still here, but instead he was lacking in recruiting and he was ousted.

Frost: Offense and Special Teams are dreadful while the defense continues to improve. The players are in place here to win games, they just aren't being developed. Our S&C Program is stuck in 1980 and we are just not athletic.

Wisconsin is not smash mouth? WTF drugs are you on?

Option A: Go back to smash mouth rushing attack, good defense, good special teams.

Option B: Let's go with a QB-focused offense with 4 WR sets and a hurry ups system where we snap the ball every 15 seconds and pass the ball 35 times a game.

One option will LOSE you games at Nebraska while the other option will WIN you games at Nebraska.

If you don't know which option wins at Nebraska, then you are brainwashed into thinking any system can be run at any school in the country and win at a high level. Pure idiocy.

The blue hairs may be about the only mass of fans we have left. Why would you want to piss them off? The tunnel walk doesn't need changed and the uniforms don't need changed. Destroying our traditions isn't going to help a damn bit on the field.

The blue hairs may be about the only mass of fans we have left. Why would you want to piss them off? The tunnel walk doesn't need changed and the uniforms don't need changed. Destroying our traditions isn't going to help a damn bit on the field.
That's your opinion, I think we need changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT