ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Salary Oregon State

I didn't say you defended Riley here.......but your defense of him on this board in the last 2 months since his firing has been well noted by most posters. Its funny because its exactly what you are saying. Stockholm Syndrome. This whole thread has been about MR but you have chosen to bring Bo in as your excuse and express apathy towards MR. But whatever........its your life to hang on to MR.

Reactions: scarletred
I didn't say you defended Riley here.......but your defense of him on this board in the last 2 months since his firing has been well noted by most posters. Its funny because its exactly what you are saying. Stockholm Syndrome. This whole thread has been about MR but you have chosen to bring Bo in as your excuse and express apathy towards MR. But whatever........its your life to hang on to MR.
Umm... I have not once said he should have not been fired in your time frame. You can go ahead and prove That, and your "most posters" are welcome to as well.
I didn't defend Riley, was just comparng him to your boy Blo. Now get off your knees and move along.

I probably would have looked at the contract issue a little differently if it wasn’t the same people on this witch hunt... from license plates to firing Banker and now this.

Just tired of the witch hunt.

Maybe that is the problem. Maybe some of us get tired of the same people acting as apologists. You got mad at me for responding to a Bo comment on here but who is bringing up Bo in these type threads. Start there.

Last edited:
Maybe that is the problem. Maybe some of us get tired of the same people acting as apologists. You got mad at me for responding to a Bo comment on here but who is bring up Bo in these type threads. Start there.
Man. You are spinning yourself in circles. No reason to defend It, be proud that you suck off the coach that hated this place and wanted to leave. Wear it with pride, and never change.

People that actually "care" about coaches (and if you are not related to them or friends with them) are dorks.

Which pretty much gives us our plan going forward. We don't need to take him to court. We just send him a letter saying he is in violation and that we feel his position is worth $250,000 a year and start reducing his salary by the difference. Let him take us to court if he feels like pursuing it.
If the contract is silent on how the market value provision is defined and enforced (and that's a big if, because I haven't seen it), this is exactly what I would do. I don't think NU would take any bigger PR hit for that, than they will from articles being written about how they're being played for a fool.

Reactions: spinner4
If the contract is silent on how the market value provision is defined and enforced (and that's a big if, because I haven't seen it), this is exactly what I would do. I don't think NU would take any bigger PR hit for that, than they will from articles being written about how they're being played for a fool.
By this line of thinking, they should have cut Bo's nuts and not gave him a dime for trashing the school to the kids on the way out. They should also go after him for not having a real job, since he is such an amazing, 9 wins guaranteed coach. Schools should be lining up to hire him, and since he is not taking one of those jobs they should go after him for all that money

agree with that a contract is a contract and if it is violated then you enforce it pretty simple.

In this case it seems pretty obvious, the whole intent behind those type of provisions is to prevent what OSU and Riley are doing right now. what compounds it is that he had, according to him other offers to coach.

As far as Riley goes this points to two things or directions:
1. He really does not think this is wrong, which leads to a whole lot of other questions or

2. He knows it is wrong and just does not think NU will do anything about

Either way it is not a good reflection on Riley no matter what we do or do not do.

Last edited:
By this line of thinking, they should have cut Bo's nuts and not gave him a dime for trashing the school to the kids on the way out. They should also go after him for not having a real job, since he is such an amazing, 9 wins guaranteed coach. Schools should be lining up to hire him, and since he is not taking one of those jobs they should go after him for all that money
There's a big difference between trying to prove that Pelini could have gotten a head coaching job at a big school and proving that Riley is being intentionally underpaid at the coaching job he has. In Riley's case, all you have to do is show how much other assistant coaches are being paid at OSU. According to the article below, the offensive line coach is making $425,004, which is probably a reasonable comparison. The special teams coach is making $200,000, so even if that salary is used as a comparison, he is being intentionally underpaid by $150,000 per year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2018/01/mike_riley_taking_big_discount.html

I think we should have taken a harder stance on Bo for sure. As far as his marketability did he have other offers for employment, Riley stated he did

I think it is time for something else to complain about...can’t wait. Winking

tenor.gif

I think we should have taken a harder stance on Bo for sure. As far as his marketability did he have other offers for employment, Riley stated he did
Bo-backers have claimed he has had many job offers every year, at the non-JV level. But they did not say a damn word, convenient they go after Riley, who tried to do what he could to smooth over the transition to Frost.
Seriously people, you are so backwards on this stuff it is not even believable. Stockholm Syndrome still in full effect.

I think it is time for something else to complain about...can’t wait. Winking

tenor.gif
Or simply don’t post 5 pages into a thread that you think is stupid, maybe? You don’t have to read this thread. You can choose to ignore it IF you think it’s a stupid topic. Just saying...

Bo-backers have claimed he has had many job offers every year, at the non-JV level. But they did not say a damn word, convenient they go after Riley, who tried to do what he could to smooth over the transition to Frost.
Seriously people, you are so backwards on this stuff it is not even believable. Stockholm Syndrome still in full effect.
Riley tried to smooth over the transition to Frost? Wow. 99% of the fans wanted Frost here and wanted Riley gone. No smoothing over of the transition was needed by anyone but yourself and a couple of others. Your problem is you think we are all backwards and that Stockholm Syndrome applies to us 99%. I would suggest sitting back and thinking about what part you are with.

Or simply don’t post 5 pages into a thread that you think is stupid, maybe? You don’t have to read this thread. You can choose to ignore it IF you think it’s a stupid topic. Just saying...

I “chose” to respond to this thread after reading all 5 page because I felt moved/compelled by the topic...

dr-evil-just-saying.jpg

Winking

Reactions: spinner4
Just because the majority oppose this contract that Riley excepted from Oregon St doesn’t mean the majority are Bo- backers.

Yes Riley handled things better walking out the door than Pelini did but one coach had a losing record leaving with Moos as AD and the other had a winning record and left with Eichorst as the AD.

Reactions: Huskercigar
Just because the majority oppose this contract that Riley excepted from Oregon St doesn’t mean the majority are Bo- backers.

Yes Riley handled things better walking out the door than Pelini did but one coach had a losing record leaving with Moos as AD and the other had a winning record and left with Eichorst as the AD.
This has absolutely no bearing on anything other than your feelings. Good talk.

IF Bo really did not take jobs at FBS schools intentionally so that he can get paid by NU and be a HC at a less stressful job, then he’s stupider then I thought. Ever herd of the saying out of sight out of mind?

Bo’s contract with NU will eventually run out and when it does it won’t be so easy to get back in the FBS. He’s no longer a name a lot of people remember. Guys who say Bo gets offers, please provide prof. I highly doubt he does. My prof is that when sports writers write stories about the next coach at “any FBS school” and they make lists of possible next coaches, Bo is never on the list.

Either a) people have forgotten him b) he’s seemed toxic or c) he’s just not a great hire.

Are you for real? You can't see that the Riley apologists are again bringing up Bo to excuse away anything that MR has done. Would you be proud of everything you have ever said in what you thought was private. Every human being in the world has said things in private either truthful or not. In this case Bo absolutely nailed it. No if you don't want this to be a Bo thread.......go holler at the people that are bringing him up. Until you do......keep your board monitor attempts to yourself.
Here’s the thing… If I am recorded in a private setting saying the things that bo Pelini had said, there’s no defending that. I shouldn’t of gone there in the first place.

The fact that it became public doesn’t change that he never should have said that. And there’s no reason to defend bo in this instance. That’s all I’m saying. You’re on a crusade to besmirch Mike Riley, that’s fine leave it at that. Defending bo as well?

What you are doing is trying to wreck the character and reputation of Riley, while at the same time saying Bo was fine. I just don’t get it.

Lol, which poster in this thread is posting his own feeling about Bo Pelini.:rolleyes:
I am drawing a valid comparison about people wanting to go after Riley. But as always, you are a little too slow to understand. That's a YOU problem. The AD's have nothing to do with their next job.

Here’s the thing… If I am recorded in a private setting saying the things that bo Pelini had said, there’s no defending that. I shouldn’t of gone there in the first place.

The fact that it became public doesn’t change that he never should have said that. And there’s no reason to defend bo in this instance. That’s all I’m saying. You’re on a crusade to besmirch Mike Riley, that’s fine leave it at that. Defending bo as well?

What you are doing is trying to wreck the character and reputation of Riley, while at the same time saying Bo was fine. I just don’t get it.
Stockholm Syndrome, plain and simple. They are like battered wives. It's kind of sad.

Never said they did. Just pointing out how the AD’s handled the firing of the Coach’s they let go.

I understand you’re agenda as some of the others on here do too.

I don't agree with you. Its like you are on a crusade to protect the reputation of Mike Riley and will besmirch anything about Bo. What is the difference? I personally think Bo cared about his players and his program more than MR did. MR was just a simple nice man that appeared to have very little motivation to do much for this program. Bo was hot headed partially because he has a dysfunction in his personality that comes out in the heat of battle. MR is polar opposite while appearing to not care. That was the topic of this thread.......not Bo.

The problem is.....there are posters on this board that can't get away from responding to every criticism about MR without a BO reference that is often embellished due to the time frame. Its like a default mechanism.....whenever anything is said about MR out comes the "but Bo called us bad fans" excuse.

If Pelini violated the terms of his severance agreement and NU would have chosen to enforce that, I would have had no problem with it. Actually, I would support any effort to reign the ridiculous amounts of money paid to people not to coach anymore, as long as the school has a legal basis for it.

Why do you think Moos should let Oregon State play him for the fool, just because Bo Pelini got a s---pot of money to go away?

Reactions: davecisar
If Pelini violated the terms of his severance agreement and NU would have chosen to enforce that, I would have had no problem with it. Actually, I would support any effort to reign the ridiculous amounts of money paid to people not to coach anymore, as long as the school has a legal basis for it.

Why do you think Moos should let Oregon State play him for the fool, just because Bo Pelini got a s---pot of money to go away?
Honestly? I could give 2 shits either way. Not a dime comes from anyone here for those buyouts, and it is a cost of doing business. They were both bad hires, for very different reasons.
What is apparent is that the same people saying "leave Blo alone he is not the coach anymore", have zero problem being hypocrites with Riley.

I don't agree with you. Its like you are on a crusade to protect the reputation of Mike Riley and will besmirch anything about Bo. What is the difference? I personally think Bo cared about his players and his program more than MR did. MR was just a simple nice man that appeared to have very little motivation to do much for this program. Bo was hot headed partially because he has a dysfunction in his personality that comes out in the heat of battle. MR is polar opposite while appearing to not care. That was the topic of this thread.......not Bo.

The problem is.....there are posters on this board that can't get away from responding to every criticism about MR without a BO reference that is often embellished due to the time frame. Its like a default mechanism.....whenever anything is said about MR out comes the "but Bo called us bad fans" excuse.
I’m not the one starting thread after thread about Bo and what a bad guy he is.

This is a thread about MR. I have posted in this thread about MR. I have not posted about Bo at all. Not until you posted this crap that Bo did nothing wrong and was a better guy than Riley.

I have admitted that Bo was a better coach. But that’s not enough for you. You want me to say Bo was a better person than MR as well.

Can’t do it.

To be fair, there is a difference between vitiating a contract for (psychotic) behavior that occurred after the the termination and adjusting a payout to reflect a reasonable value for a psn taken after termination.

The fact that it became public doesn’t change that he never should have said that. And there’s no reason to defend bo in this instance.
As to your first part.......yes there is defending what is recorded in a private setting when it is released the way it was. The lowest person of scum was the one that released the tape.

As far as not going that way in the conversation. Yes......everyone hated it at the time. If that tape of the Northstar meeting had been released in November of this year most everyone would have said......Gosh darn that guy nailed it. Pretty much every name and issue he addressed regarding the chit show SE and HP were putting together with the football administration was proven right and well posted on the boards. Heck......Bo was nice to SE compared to some of the things our fans have been saying in public......not privately.

To be fair, there is a difference between vitiating a contract for (psychotic) behavior that occurred after the the termination and adjusting a payout to reflect a reasonable value for a psn taken after termination.
Really? I guess we disagree there. One staff behaved like adults, and the other tried everything they could to trash the place, including destroying University property

Honestly? I could give 2 shits either way. Not a dime comes from anyone here for those buyouts, and it is a cost of doing business. They were both bad hires, for very different reasons.
What is apparent is that the same people saying "leave Blo alone he is not the coach anymore", have zero problem being hypocrites with Riley.
Well I'm not going to lose any sleep over it either, but I've never blown the horn in support of Pelini or claimed that he was in line for jobs better than Youngstown State. And if Jimmy Sweatervest was only paying Bo $50,000 per year, I would absolutely want NU to take the same action.

I’m not the one starting thread after thread about Bo and what a bad guy he is.

This is a thread about MR. I have posted in this thread about MR. I have not posted about Bo at all. Not until you posted this crap that Bo did nothing wrong and was a better guy than Riley.

I have admitted that Bo was a better coach. But that’s not enough for you. You want me to say Bo was a better person than MR as well.

Can’t do it.
I'm not saying you have to like Bo. You are washing your hands of your Bo statement by saying you only brought it up because of my post but when you brought it up you attacked me for it. I DID NOT BRING HIM UP. I only responded just like you. If you had a problem with this becoming a Bo thread you should have attacked them instead of me. This is really a stupid argument because what you are really saying is its alright to bring up Bo in an MR thread if it works to support MR but if anyone counters that then its not allowed. That is hardly a fair forum rule.

Really? I guess we disagree there. One staff behaved like adults, and the other tried everything they could to trash the place, including destroying University property
Not excusing the nonsense of BP at all, just that in the case of MR, if what we’ve heard is true, the contract should be followed by both parties. Once Bo was let go, was there a “don’t act like a psycho within the Lincoln city limits” clause in his buyout?
Everything was cool with MR, very respectful behavior up to the freebie coaching decision he made with OSU. At least YSU is paying Pelini market.

I'm not saying you have to like Bo. You are washing your hands of your Bo statement by saying you only brought it up because of my post but when you brought it up you attacked me for it. I DID NOT BRING HIM UP. I only responded just like you. If you had a problem with this becoming a Bo thread you should have attacked them instead of me. This is really a stupid argument because what you are really saying is its alright to bring up Bo in an MR thread if it works to support MR but if anyone counters that then its not allowed. That is hardly a fair forum rule.
RollingLaughthis is an amazing response. Well done, I needed a laugh.

Not excusing the nonsense of BP at all, just that in the case of MR, if what we’ve heard is true, the contract should be followed by both parties. Once Bo was let go, was there a “don’t act like a psycho within the Lincoln city limits” clause in his buyout?
Everything was cool with MR, very respectful behavior up to the freebie coaching decision he made with OSU. At least YSU is paying Pelini market.
The bloners claim he is only coaching JV to stick it to NU. Supposedly multiple offers for real jobs. But everyone knows that's a lie, and now the bloners are chasing their tails. Riley only making 50 is akin to the same crap Blo is supposedly pulling. It's really not that difficult to see the hypocrisy.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it since you are the culprit that Timnsun should be upset with.

Anyway done with responding to you. Nothing helpful ever comes back in return.
Poor guy. Cut and run, your hero needs fans at his empty JV stadium.

Mike Riley as Head Coach in 2014 at Oregon St his lowest paid asst Coach Trent Bray was payed $ 154,500.

Riley is Coaching WR and the asst Coach on his staff that coached that position made $ 180,264.

Klieman Head Coach at National champion No Dakota St had a base salary of $ 261,177 in 2016.
Bo Pelini base salary at YST was $ 213,894.

Keeping things in perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT