ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Salary Oregon State

davecisar

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 9, 2010
Mike Riley as a full time assistant coach will be paid just $50,000 this year by Oregon State.

This reported by Land of 10 Reporter Erin Sorenson

So smilin Mike takes a job most Power 5 Schools are paying upwards of 200k for and is doing it for the bare bones price of that a quality assistant gopher is being paid. With Rileys experience- the market price for his services as an assistant would be in the 500K range

How someone can blatantly do this- not be paid a market based wage so that the ex employer has to pay for the rest of the salary via the buyout- not have the salary displace the buyout dollars is beyond me.

If our expert lawyer Pearlman was involved with writing or approving Rileys contract, Pearlman was grossly negligent in his duties.

Riley becoming a party to this sham- is EXTREMELY disappointing.
This is BS

Maybe he wasnt who we thought he was

Mike Riley as a full time assistant coach will be paid just $50,000 this year by Oregon State.

So smilin Mike takes a job most Power 5 Schools are paying upwards of 200k for and is doing it for the bare bones price of that a quality assistant gopher is being paid.

How someone can blatantly do this- not be paid a market based wage so that the ex employer has to pay for the rest of the salary via the buyout- not have the salary displace the buyout dollars is beyond me.

If our expert lawyer Pearlman was involved with writing or approving Rileys contract, Pearlman was grossly negligent in his duties.

He was exactly who most of us thought he was...a regular dude that did regular things and acted regular.

If I'm a FB admin at OSU, I reviewed the fine print in Riley's contract at NU before I set the salary at 50K. It's a punk move and NU should subtract a couple hundred thousand from his severance pay. At least BP is getting paid market for FCS coaches. Talk about getting played!!

Not a Bo fan BTW
But in comparison
Bo Pelini as head coach of Youngstown State is at $213,000
That is right in line with other FCS head coaches

South Dakota State-- 195K
North Dakota State---261K

Mike Rileys 50K isnt in line with anyone in Power 5 league with his amount of experience

This is a greedy sham and takes money from the NU athletic department in an unethical way

I'd say from the results that were produced during his tenure here he may be being overpaid at OSU? Had a feeling this might happen!

So smilin Mike takes a job most Power 5 Schools are paying upwards of 200k for and is doing it for the bare bones price of that a quality assistant gopher is being paid. With Rileys experience- the market price for his services as an assistant would be in the 500K range

This is BS

Well if I had to endure board posters who kept calling me Smilin Mike I might let it ride too. 'Don't hate the player hate the game', as they say.

Reactions: mebeinme0831
Wouldn't it be safer to say this is Oregon State taking advantage of the situation to make their team more competitive by way of having more to offer their other assistants? It probably doesn't matter to Mike Riley.

Further, we technically stole Mike Riley away from OSU so maybe this is a little bit of payback?

Reactions: HuskerO
Wouldn't it be safer to say this is Oregon State taking advantage of the situation to make their team more competitive by way of having more to offer their other assistants? It probably doesn't matter to Mike Riley.

Further, we technically stole Mike Riley away from OSU so maybe this is a little bit of payback?

You are supposed to steal things that have/add value. NU didn't steal...they found Riley at a garage sale.

As an employee working with your employer to structure a contract- You dont let them pay you in a way that would seem unethical by most

I supported the team- there for every home game
I supported the Coach Riley- even though I knew he would fail

But this is who he ended up being- behind the friendly facade, a mercenary:
Moved here- lived in a hotel for a LONG time- had no intentions of putting down and semblance of roots
Then moved into a furnished apartment- just a tiny step above a hotel room
Never licensed his wifes car here- even though it was her local car and by law she was required to do so
Fired Mark Banker at the behests of the AD so he could extend his big $$$ salary here.
Claimed this was not a rebuild- inheriting 7 consecutive 9-10 win season teams- then in year 3 claims it is a rebuild and year 3 was really year 1? We are supposed to buy that and keep extending his fat cat contract?
Continued to plead for his job- saying he was on the right track- even after a 4 win season- which was on par with his last few seasons at OSU

Back off the feed trough and earn your own food
If this doesnt convince you that MRs intentions of coming here were solely a money grab deal- I dont know what to say

As an employee working with your employer to structure a contract- You dont let them pay you in a way that would seem unethical by most

Moved here- lived in a hotel for a LONG time- had no intentions of putting down and semblance of roots
Never licensed his wifes car here- even though it was her local car and by law she was required to do so
Fired Mark Banker at the behests of the AD so he could extend his big $$$ salary here.
Claimed this was not a rebuild- inheriting 7 consecutive 9-10 win season teams- then in year 3 claims it is a rebuild and year 3 was really year 1? We are supposed to buy that and keep extending his fat cat contract?
Continued to plead for his job- saying he was on the right track- even after a 4 win season- which was on par with his last few seasons at OSU

If this doesnt convince you that MRs intentions of coming here were solely a money grab deal- I dont know what to say

I love this post!

Sadly, you will be crucified for it by a lot of posters, most of them so in love with the fact that Riley was "nice" that they are still blinded to the fact that he was just a regular dude doing regular dude things.

I'm obviously in the minority by a long shot, but I couldn't care less about any of the hand-wringing over money being paid to former coaches. The only thing we have had lately is money. I'm sure his contract language is the same as every other P5 coach in the country, because no one wants Nebraska to have a reputation among coaches that we're the chintzy bastards that try to get cute with the severance language. Try hiring Frost if you put some conditional language in his contract. Nope. Stop worrying about the money.

I'm as pissed as anyone that NU shelled out big bucks for Riley and his staff, but in my opinion, this is sour grapes.

All this stuff about houses and license plates is ridiculous. That is the nature of big time college football. Your employment in this business is fragile and can change in the blink of an eye. Nebraska didn't pay him to be a Nebraska citizen, they paid him to win football games... and he didn't so he's gone. It's really as simple as that.

If the positions were swapped and Mike Riley did do all this arbitrary garbage that fans think he should have done as part of his contract to coach football, then what would we say to him if he were to express disappointment that now (because he's no longer employed) that he has to sell his house, change his license plates, get rid of his red ties, etc? The answer is we would roast him just the same.

He was going to be fired at Corvallis and SE threw him out a life preserver.

This is BS

It's a smart move on his part.

I love it...for 3 reasons.

1. It is the dream to get paid a lot to not work
2. I would do the same exact thing to sort of "stick it" to the dude that fired me
3. It shows that he is just like all of us...not like Father Flanagan

Correct
NU did a very poor job of writing this contract
MOST of them have a "market value" clause that nips this kind of sham in the bud.
But Im assuming both Bo Pelini and Mike Riley had their contracts reviewed by the same higher ups. We are talking MILLIONS of $$$ here

Maybe Im wrong- the AD- Eichorst had NO experience hiring coaches- so what would he know about contracts. Yet NU made SE the 5th highest paid AD in the land :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bo goes to Youngstown State- and gets paid the market rate
Mike Riley goes to a Power 5 and gets paid worse than the equipment assistant

NOT cool
NOT ethical

IMO Mike R wasnt here for a serious undertaking of making NU great- but a very temporary gig he was milking to the very last $$ drop

Correct
MOST of them have a "market value" clause that nips this kind of sham in the bud.
But Im assuming both Bo Pelini and Mike Riley had their contracts reviewed by the same higher ups. We are talking MILLIONS of $$$ here

NOT cool
NOT ethical

IMO Mike R wasnt here for a serious undertaking of making NU great- but a very temporary gig he was milking to the very last $$ drop

But but...he did the Friday Night Lights thing and but but...he fired friends.

It's just business. Oregon State made a smart business move moneywise, not so sure what Riley actually adds for them as a coach. Nebraska is swimming in Big Ten money now, this is a blip. Focus on the future. I haven't been this excited about a new coach in my lifetime, I'm an old man now, born after the Devaney hire, too young to recall Osborne's promotion, never excited about Solich or Callahan, somewhat excited about Pelini, and downright depressed when Riley was hired. I am convinced there was no better hire for this program than Scott Frost. We need to get past the past.

Correct

Maybe Im wrong- the AD- Eichorst had NO experience hiring coaches- so what would he know about contracts. Yet NU made SE the 5th highest paid AD in the land :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NOT cool
NOT ethical

Normally I have been supportive of Mike Riley since it was "Eichorst" that hired him and he did what a normal person who considers himself a high quality coach would do and that is take a very high prestige job when offered. That part IMHO is a Perlman / Eichorst issue. However, for Riley and Oregon State to take advantage of that situation is not very ethical to me and something that severely erodes my thoughts on Riley and Oregon State.

PS: Sorry for the rant!

Correct. Throughout history there have been businesses that were successful at making $$$$ ethically and ones that were successful at making money as hucksters.

I won't argue with the ethics of it, I'll just say I'm glad we're not one of those schools that would ever even entertain taking a coach at bargain basement prices because another school is still paying his contract.

And by the way, don't bring morals/ethics into big time college football. It's laughable.

Yes

I liked what Riley did in embracing the fans
His demeanour is always good- he has a lot of practice at being a reasonable person after losses
He never embarrassed himself or NU for his actions- with exception of his inept coaching
He is the consumate politician. See his role in the good ol boys coaching fraternity- AFCA. No matter WHAT level you coach at there is one of those guys- mediocre at best who has longevity based on him playing politics and being buddy buddy with the right people no matter how awful a coach they are.
These are always every coaches buddy, the guy you want to keep around in your conference- because you can beat the tar out of them.

I thought he was just inept. Now I see him as an unethical mercenary money grabber, who had no intentions of building NU into champions- but here very much by design very temporarily to milk as much $$ from NU as he could before anyone could figure out he was NOT a good coach.

Good riddance
We were supposed to give him a pass because he wasnt a total ass. Well hes a thief.
Very sad to see his name ever associated with the greatness that is NU football- just blows me away LOL. I was WTF when he got hired- Im WTF now

I don't think OSU took advantage of a situation, it is more that NU did not know how to write a contract to prevent this type of thing. Responsibility for the situation like this lies solely at the feet of the NU attorneys that wrote the contract and Board of Regents that approves the contract. Wasn't Perlman a "law professor".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT