ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Salary Oregon State

I hope you don't teach finance or business. 1 million is a lot wether a billion dollar fund or not. You don't willingly let it get away.
And I hope you don’t teach English or work in fields that require reading comprehension.

Where in my post did I say Nebraska should let it get away?

Again, what I did say is if Nebraska does nothing, it won’t change what Nebraska could do in terms of supporting other athletic programs. This does not change anything. Nebraska is flush with cash. Does that mean they should ignore it? I never said that at all. Please don’t put words in my mouth that I never said.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm not a basketball person and have no clue what coach miles status is

There are a bunch of people calling for miles to be fired from what I can gather

Miles is young and he's won everywhere but here

It's highly likely that if miles is fired here and paid his multi million buyout that he would move on to another school. Someone somewhere amoungst the 300 d1 schools will give him a shot
Especially if the new employer only has to pay miles 10 cents on the dollar.

What would stop miles from pulling the same exact scam on Nebraska that Riley is and have us pay the bulk of his salary at another school?

So instead of Riley's deal costing Nebraska over 1 million- it could be 5-6 million
Kinda real money

This is why those clauses are put in every contract and why they need to be enforced
Miles may to be as ethically challenged as Riley
But very real chance it would happen
No one is saying Nebraska should do nothing and just eat the money. What people are saying is if Nebraska chooses to do nothing, they are not worried about it. I don’t know why you think people are saying Nebraska should let this slide. It’s not up to fans. If Nebraska chooses not to do anything, it’s on the University. Fans are not advocating for that. Not a single one.

And I hope you don’t teach English or work in fields that require reading comprehension.

Where in my post did I say Nebraska should let it get away?

Again, what I did say is if Nebraska does nothing, it won’t change what Nebraska could do in terms of supporting other athletic programs. This does not change anything. Nebraska is flush with cash. Does that mean they should ignore it? I never said that at all. Please don’t put words in my mouth that I never said.
You do see what quoted right?

You do see what quoted right?

I hear what you are saying, and I agree, it’s bogus. At the same time, i don’t think Nebraska cares, and it certainly doesn’t hurt us. A shortage of money is not one of our problems.

To simplify it for you, this is the post you quoted. Where did I say Nebraska should let it get away?

My point in that post was that IF, and I emphasize IF, Nebraska does nothing it’s not going to hurt other athletic programs financially like DaveCisar was suggesting.

Reading comprehension.

That would be correct
The wording:
"Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation"

You cant take a salary of 25% of the lowest paid coach on your staff and claim and meet this standard- it is a very clear and gross violation: customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid

For those unsure of why Mike Riley is in breach of contract
That is the language from the contract he put his signature on
The same contract that obligated nu go pay him $12,000,000
If he wants to toss it out
Fine we can put all those dollars to use elsewhere

Reactions: husker2612
IMO Mike R wasnt here for a serious undertaking of making NU great- but a very temporary gig he was milking to the very last $$ drop
This was my first thought when he was hired. This has all just confirmed it. This guy isn't a coach. He is just a guy who has found a way to get easy paydays over his life.

This was my first thought when he was hired. This has all just confirmed it. This guy isn't a coach. He is just a guy who has found a way to get easy paydays over his life.

I think he is a great high school coach, one of those guys that coaches at the same high school for 45 years...ends up with 200 wins and 200 losses...teaches math or PE and has a nice life...but he kept failing up

In no scenario is Riley denied "every penny he is owed"

In spite of him clearly being in breech of contract which you support because it's "business"

I'm guessing you wouldn't be for Nebraska being in breach of contract- the same thing and not pay Riley because "it's business" and in business in your mind it's ok to violate and scam, but not ok for Nebraska to violate and scam right?

Glad I'm not doing business with you and I assure you this is not how business is approached by most. I didn't realize we had osu fans on this board

The grotesque in your face boldness of a clear scheme to steal money from Nebraska is just shocking from someone nu was so generous to

Could NU get punitive damages if this went to court?

I think he is a great high school coach, one of those guys that coaches at the same high school for 45 years...ends up with 200 wins and 200 losses...teaches math or PE and has a nice life...but he kept failing up
Lol Perfect

I guess I don't get the issue. If he sits at home and does nothing or goes to the PAC 12 network and does color, similar to Les Miles, he can keep all the money that Nebraska owes him and no one says anything. However, since he takes the hometown discount and takes the Oregon St job over another job he is a crook. Of course we don't know what the other jobs were offering. They may have been offering $50k a year too. Bo Pelini takes $250k a year as a JV head coach when he could have made twice as much as a P5 DC. Isn't that the same? I would say the path to a P5 head job would be quicker as a P5 DC than FBS head coach, if that is the goal....but he also took the home town discount.

I also agree that if Oregon St and Mike Riley violated his buyout deal, then it should be pursued, the fact that it isn't currently being pursued either means, the cost of pursing isn't worth the trouble or there isn't a clear violation of the buyout. Either way Mike Riley is going to make the same amount per year for the next 3 years.

I guess I don't get the issue. If he sits at home and does nothing or goes to the PAC 12 network and does color, similar to Les Miles, he can keep all the money that Nebraska owes him and no one says anything. However, since he takes the hometown discount and takes the Oregon St job over another job he is a crook. Of course we don't know what the other jobs were offering. They may have been offering $50k a year too. Bo Pelini takes $250k a year as a JV head coach when he could have made twice as much as a P5 DC. Isn't that the same? I would say the path to a P5 head job would be quicker as a P5 DC than FBS head coach, if that is the goal....but he also took the home town discount.

I also agree that if Oregon St and Mike Riley violated his buyout deal, then it should be pursued, the fact that it isn't currently being pursued either means, the cost of pursing isn't worth the trouble or there isn't a clear violation of the buyout. Either way Mike Riley is going to make the same amount per year for the next 3 years.

I'm not sure about anything with this anymore, but I think, by the contract, I think he had to seek commensurate employment, so, I don't think he could just cut and run to retirement, could he?.

So, Nebraska doesn't award punitive damages for intentional fraud or contract breach, if adjudicated that way?

My source says not in nebraska
However he does say Nebraska definitely has what he calls an open and shut case that would never go to court against Riley
It would be settled in nus favor with the slightest of shoves

Riley was on record saying he had several power 5 assistant gigs
No power 5 guys are earning 50 so yeah the only thing to settle on is the number
Going rate for ahc seems to be in the 400s not 50

Bullshit move and I hope NU does something. What that is, I'm not sure, but this sets a precedent with future Nebraska coaches and their contract. Riley and OSU just teabagged Bill Moos for everyone to witness.

I'm not sure about anything with this anymore, but I think, by the contract, I think he had to seek commensurate employment, so, I don't think he could just cut and run to retirement, could he?.

You are guessing. You may be correct but you are guessing. He was fired from his job and he was owed the money. The seeking commensurate employment is contingent upon someone actually wanting to hire him as a head coach. I don't believe that market would be very big considering his age and the past 3 years at Nebraska. If he couldn't get a job as a HC, then why shouldn't he be allowed to take any job he wants.

You are guessing. You may be correct but you are guessing. He was fired from his job and he was owed the money. The seeking commensurate employment is contingent upon someone actually wanting to hire him as a head coach. I don't believe that market would be very big considering his age and the past 3 years at Nebraska. If he couldn't get a job as a HC, then why shouldn't he be allowed to take any job he wants.

Yes, I mis-stated my last response. What I wanted to say is that he could take any job he wants or could get, but from what I heard and read ABOUT the contract, the job he took would be for commensurate PAY for the job he took as mitigation for NU's obligations and NOT at a much lesser amount to benefit the new employer to NU's detriment.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecisar
My source says not in nebraska
However he does say Nebraska definitely has what he calls an open and shut case that would never go to court against Riley
It would be settled in nus favor with the slightest of shoves

Riley was on record saying he had several power 5 assistant gigs
No power 5 guys are earning 50 so yeah the only thing to settle on is the number
Going rate for ahc seems to be in the 400s not 50

thanks

To quote Frozen- Let it go. You gain nothing in a battle over this with Riley except looking bad in coaching circles. Time to move on from Riley.

I don't know Bill Moos but if I were him I'd be piss and I'd have the university lawyer looking into it, Riley is out for Riley

To quote Frozen- Let it go. You gain nothing in a battle over this with Riley except looking bad in coaching circles. Time to move on from Riley.

Bullshit.

"Letting this go" gives every single Nebraska coach, present and future, an opportunity to do what they want regardless what their contract states. Moos is irresponsible if he doesn't have UNL legal people look in to this.

Bullshit.

"Letting this go" gives every single Nebraska coach, present and future, an opportunity to do what they want regardless what their contract states. Moos is irresponsible if he doesn't have UNL legal people look in to this.
I think he will take action, the other part of this is that it is just not very smart. It makes me wonder who in the heck is in charge at OSU and shows Riley is either very vindictive or just not all there

Last edited:
NU may be waiting until the last signing period is over
They have bigger fish to fry than smilin Mike right now

As to bad pub- there have been some Universities who have sued coaches- and I dont remember hearing anything about them on national big time news:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college...es-former-coach-bob-shoop-20170704-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/30/sports/ncaafootball/contract-lawsuit-is-settled.html
If you want to keep banging this drum, at least post some pictures of yoga pants. It is in fact the only justification for an 8 page thread.

Exactly. Other than the obvious PR blackeye for NU the issue is that we would have to litigate the idea that he didn't pursue a HEAD coaching job which would be the only commensurate position applicable. This is maybe a little more grey than the black and white we think it is.

Mike Riley as a full time assistant coach will be paid just $50,000 this year by Oregon State.

This reported by Land of 10 Reporter Erin Sorenson

So smilin Mike takes a job most Power 5 Schools are paying upwards of 200k for and is doing it for the bare bones price of that a quality assistant gopher is being paid. With Rileys experience- the market price for his services as an assistant would be in the 500K range

How someone can blatantly do this- not be paid a market based wage so that the ex employer has to pay for the rest of the salary via the buyout- not have the salary displace the buyout dollars is beyond me.

If our expert lawyer Pearlman was involved with writing or approving Rileys contract, Pearlman was grossly negligent in his duties.

Riley becoming a party to this sham- is EXTREMELY disappointing.
This is BS

Maybe he wasnt who we thought he was
This is what it is. The is part of the Business. The schools both have the money. No issue here.

If it was the opposite situation, most people posting here would think it was Brilliant.

None issue. Time for all of us to move on.

This is what it is. The is part of the Business. The schools both have the money. No issue here.

If it was the opposite situation, most people posting here would think it was Brilliant.

None issue. Time for all of us to move on.

unless and until someone figures it's part of Civil Law practice

ADVERTISEMENT