ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Salary Oregon State

Mike Riley as a full time assistant coach will be paid just $50,000 this year by Oregon State.

This reported by Land of 10 Reporter Erin Sorenson
So smilin Mike takes a job most Power 5 Schools are paying upwards of 200k for and is doing it for the bare bones price of that a quality assistant gopher is being paid. With Rileys experience- the market price for his services as an assistant would be in the 500K range

How someone can blatantly do this- not be paid a market based wage so that the ex employer has to pay for the rest of the salary via the buyout- not have the salary displace the buyout dollars is beyond me.

If our expert lawyer Pearlman was involved with writing or approving Rileys contract, Pearlman was grossly negligent in his duties.

Riley becoming a party to this sham- is EXTREMELY disappointing.
This is BS

Maybe he wasnt who we thought he was

Sounds like he is the smiling bank robber that says please and thank you. Pretty sure I stated this about a month or two ago and got crucified by all the, 'he's a nice guy" losers. I'm aware he is a nice guy. I'm also aware he was incompetent.

again this is not a tit for tat - professional leave and get fired in a professional manner he did that - now however OSU is benefiting from slight of hand they said he is worth $50,000 a year its a sham and they are only paying that because Riley is allowing that

One professional act does not mean you can commit a negative act
Again, I wouldn't be so sure that this is happening without the blessing of our administration. Riley didn't have to help with the transition but he did. I'm not expecting an official statement from NU. We may very well have legal recourse but if we choose to not pursue if that gives you your answer.

Mike Riley as a full time assistant coach will be paid just $50,000 this year by Oregon State.

So smilin Mike takes a job most Power 5 Schools are paying upwards of 200k for and is doing it for the bare bones price of that a quality assistant gopher is being paid. With Rileys experience- the market price for his services as an assistant would be in the 500K range

How someone can blatantly do this- not be paid a market based wage so that the ex employer has to pay for the rest of the salary via the buyout- not have the salary displace the buyout dollars is beyond me.

If our expert lawyer Pearlman was involved with writing or approving Rileys contract, Pearlman was grossly negligent in his duties.

This is BS

The irony of all this. Oregon State is actually paying him what he is worth........

Yes

I liked what Riley did in embracing the fans
His demeanour is always good- he has a lot of practice at being a reasonable person after losses
He never embarrassed himself or NU for his actions- with exception of his inept coaching
He is the consumate politician. See his role in the good ol boys coaching fraternity- AFCA. No matter WHAT level you coach at there is one of those guys- mediocre at best who has longevity based on him playing politics and being buddy buddy with the right people no matter how awful a coach they are.
These are always every coaches buddy, the guy you want to keep around in your conference- because you can beat the tar out of them.

I thought he was just inept. Now I see him as an unethical mercenary money grabber, who had no intentions of building NU into champions- but here very much by design very temporarily to milk as much $$ from NU as he could before anyone could figure out he was NOT a good coach.

Good riddance
We were supposed to give him a pass because he wasnt a total ass. Well hes a thief.
Very sad to see his name ever associated with the greatness that is NU football- just blows me away LOL. I was WTF when he got hired- Im WTF now

Post of the week....

Again, I wouldn't be so sure that this is happening without the blessing of our administration. Riley didn't have to help with the transition but he did. I'm not expecting an official statement from NU. We may very well have legal recourse but if we choose to not pursue if that gives you your answer.
I can see no reasonable explanation NU wanted to help Oregon State, unless they would not have hired Riley without that concession and we felt sorry for him - He left in a professional manner - great, coaches are supposed to do that and we are supposed to honor our contract no extra incentive should be needed

omfg, stop living in the era that never existed. I think good ol' Rascal Flatts said it best, "God Blessed the Broken Road" this is more about the End of the road rather than the journey however painful it may have been. MOVE ON!! We have had the perfect storm when it comes to A) Getting a Solid Coaching hire who has a cohesive staff working for him B) Hitting at a Peak 13-0 C) Piss poor coaching hires for the LAST time. Everyone is behin Frost on this. Get over it Mike Riley did not exist as did the previous coaches. I forget who has the avy here but it goes Devaney Osborne some other guys Frost. MOVE ON!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMk have a great night.

Why are they paying him anything at all, since we're on the hook?
On the bright side, MR having a hand in OSU's program assures us that there is no threat of OSU rising to national prominence.

Appears to be a clear violation of his contract with Nebraska.

"Riley’s contract also states that 'within a reasonably brief period following termination, Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.'"

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/1/1...earn-just-50k-as-oregon-state-assistant-coach

Good work
Yes, it looks like his contract- like most does contain a clear black and white clause that protects the former employer from shams like OSU is pulling here with Mike Rileys consent.

Like most multi million $$$ contracts, lawyers review and put in stipulations that are relatively standard and reasonable- that most professionals are happy to sign. Just like I said in the OP.

Last edited:
As long as he's not coaching NU anymore he could sell bicycles and Prius's good riddance!! Wish him good luck and health back in Oregon

Good work
Yes, it looks like his contract- like most does contain a clear black and white clause that protects the former employer from shams like OSU is pulling here with Mike Rileys consent.

Like most multi million $$$ contracts, lawyers review and put in stipulations that are relatively standard and reasonable- that most professionals are happy to sign. Just like I said in the OP.
Given MR's age, he is eligible for retirement. Do not think that the contract can force Riley to work, so maybe getting OState to pay at least 50K is a plus for DONU

Reactions: timnsun
Given MR's age, he is eligible for retirement. Do not think that the contract can force Riley to work, so maybe getting OState to pay at least 50K is a plus for DONU
I think it does force him to work during the remainder of the contract period (or at least make a good faith effort to find another coaching job), barring some unforeseen circumstance such as a medical condition that would make it unreasonable for him to work.

I think it does force him to work during the remainder of the contract period (or at least make a good faith effort to find another coaching job), barring some unforeseen circumstance such as a medical condition that would make it unreasonable for him to work.

That would be correct
The wording:
"Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.'"

Contracts are contracts- they are binding by law. Not "suggestions" you can choose to abide by or not. Before anyone jumps on the "but we fired Riley before his contract was up" Rileys contract had specific language that dealt with termination- and payment for termination. He was rightfully terminated and NU has 100% met the terms of the contract. Mike Riley on the other hand has clearly not.

OSUs lowest paid Asst Coach last year made $200K
Rileys market value is probably something like $450 K
If he works at OSU for 3 years- NU under this sham would be overpaying his buyout by about $1,200,000
That isnt right, yes NU has money but Im guessing there is a project in the athletic department somewhere or some underpaid hard working office staff people that would be happy to put $1,200,000 to work. It's not chump change

You cant take a salary of 25% of the lowest paid coach on your staff and claim and meet this standard- it is a very clear and gross violation: customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.'"

Last edited:
again this is not a tit for tat - professional leave and get fired in a professional manner he did that - now however OSU is benefiting from slight of hand they said he is worth $50,000 a year its a sham and they are only paying that because Riley is allowing that

One professional act does not mean you can commit a negative act
What Riley and OSU did happens in the business world more often than what you're implying.

That would be correct
The wording:
"Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.'"

Contracts are contracts- they are binding by law. Not "suggestions" you can choose to abide by or not. Before anyone jumps on the "but we fired Riley before his contract was up" Rileys contract had specific language that dealt with termination- and payment for termination. He was rightfully terminated and NU has 100% met the terms of the contract. Mike Riley on the other hand has not.

Man, this is quite the crusade for you.

Reactions: timnsun and HuskerO
Good work

Yes, I'm sure the entire contract was read and now we have contract experts here. By the way, most contracts aren't so black and white. There are many many many endorsements, etc.

IF Riley did violate his contract then Nebraska will call it out and get it fixed. If Nebraska does nothing then it's either;

1) Riley did not violate his contract or
2) Nebraska doesn't care enough to put forth the effort to rectify it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The administration will decline to make a stink over this. Riley and OSU know this. Our lack of response is NOT because it's supposed chump change (it's over a million dollars) and we feel indebted to Riley for not burning the house down (EVERYONE knows he burnt it down himself with a 4 win season), but it's because we can't take a PR hit right now. Doing something wrong because you know you can get away with it, makes these actions by Riley even worse.

No problem with this, and true statement on your part.

Just don’t get the idea that he came to Nebraska so that he could do nothing and get paid handsomely for it.

Isn’t it enough to say he was a bad coach? Do we now also have to say he was a crook?

Not what you are saying, Phillipe, this is more for others who are saying he came to do nothing but take our money.
I don't think he's a crook. But I think he's a fraud.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
I don't think NU is overly worried about the difference between Riley's 50K salary at OSU and the market value.... Him not burning the house down when he left was worth way more than that.
What was it worth that he burnt the program down while he was here?

Rily probably is reading HOL right now and having a good laugh at how worked up every one is getting. If I were him I would say "ya want to fire me, you're going to pay."

No doubt. I was laughing out loud reading this thread.

From the little snippet of the contract language I saw, Riley the Jackal was obligated to “seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.” What other asst coach with his experience at a P5 school is paid $50k? Likely, none. Sounds to me, based on the few facts available, that there is a colorable claim to be made that Uncle Mike has breached the contract. This isn’t hundreds of dollars at stake, it’s hundreds of thousands. If there’s an opportunity to keep that $$ in NU’s coffers, to hell with Riley. Push the issue. That’s why the clause is in the contract, to avoid the game he’s running. And yes, I’m a lawyer.

Reactions: davecisar
From the little snippet of the contract language I saw
I would love for someone (who can interpret language in a contract correctly) to actually read Riley's entire contract and then tell us if he is violating his contract or not.

Really give me an example of a company paying someone less than market rate for a position because their previous employer is making up the difference
My old District Manager quit our company, took his contract buyout then took a new job elsewhere (same position) that paid a less.

Thinking about it, that example (and other examples i was thinking of) isn't exactly the same so I may have to concede.

What is the average salary of an AHC?

From the little snippet of the contract language I saw, Riley the Jackal was obligated to “seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.” What other asst coach with his experience at a P5 school is paid $50k? Likely, none. Sounds to me, based on the few facts available, that there is a colorable claim to be made that Uncle Mike has breached the contract. This isn’t hundreds of dollars at stake, it’s hundreds of thousands. If there’s an opportunity to keep that $$ in NU’s coffers, to hell with Riley. Push the issue. That’s why the clause is in the contract, to avoid the game he’s running. And yes, I’m a lawyer.
It would be a PR hit. Mike has been around and has lots of supporters in the college football world. I'm sure the administration doesn't want the politics of a lawsuit. Riley and OSU officials probably spent time reading "The Art of the Deal" and got a deal that will generate a thread on a message board but little more.

In Riley's own word he had an offer of employment elsewhere and approached OSU with employment heck why not throw in his offer he comes really cheap. I am so happy we can pay this man millions so he can be close to his grandkids and of course it was very enjoyable watching what he did with NU football .. What a gentleman!

I would love for someone (who can interpret language in a contract correctly) to actually read Riley's entire contract and then tell us if he is violating his contract or not.
What the contract says does not matter if we choose to not enforce it. People need to get over it. Winking If we didn't go after Pelini by firing him with cause after all the conduct detrimental to the university, we're not going after Riley. JMO.

A man who is suppose to be full of integrity just showed no integrity. What a joke. Wonder if he keeps that same salary after his payout @ NU is complete or will we see a hike in pay. Total D-Bag move. Any good will I had for him as a human being just went out the door.
You are going to get crucified for this comment. Many posters here love Riley and wonder how anyone could ever question his integrity? He is a nice guy, don’t you know?

This is BS

Perfect pay for the “Forrest Gump” of college football.

The administration will decline to make a stink over this. Riley and OSU know this. Our lack of response is NOT because it's supposed chump change (it's over a million dollars) and we feel indebted to Riley for not burning the house down (EVERYONE knows he burnt it down himself with a 4 win season), but it's because we can't take a PR hit right now. Doing something wrong because you know you can get away with it, makes these actions by Riley even worse.

Exactly
NU is honorably fulfilling it's obligations to the letter of the contract- even though Rileys job performance was far below what is acceptable
Riley and OSU on the other hand are not abiding by the contract- black and white- clear violation
Riley and OSU are banking on NU not holding them accountable- so as to avoid any appearance of controversy. In a scheme to basically steal over $1,000,000 from the University of Nebraska, it borders on blackmail.

Last edited:
Reactions: hinkle
There has been some discussion up here as to whether Riley was

a) simply an inept coach or
b) was retired on active duty for the last 3 years.

While I don't think this exactly clears it up, I think it's not hard to make the case now for

c) both of the above

Thank God Moos didn't give him that 4th year he was campaigning for at the end of the season. He might have spent it playing 52 card pickup with Diaco.
His little campaigning speech at the Iowa presser has to be one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen from a coach. The guy is a little mentally messed up.

If we choose not to pursue it's because we have an administration that sees the pettiness in going after him. It doesn't necessarily give you the answer you want.

And let's not pretend Riley was some saint for helping with the transition.

It's not real hard to transition from an incompetent staff to a good staff.

Reactions: Huskercigar
Exactly
NU is honorably fulfilling it's obligations to the letter of the contract- even though Rileys job performance was far below what is acceptable
Riley and OSU on the other hand are not abiding by the contract- black and white- clear violation
Riley and OSU are banking on NU not holding them accountable- so as to avoid any appearance of controversy. In a scheme to basically steal over $1,000,000 from the University of Nebraska, it borders on blackmail.
Agree. I’m pretty sure nice guy Mike wouldn’t hesitate with demand letters and the like if NU wasn’t holding up it’s end of the bargain.

I find it really interesting how often someone's character is called into question any time they make a choice that goes against Nebraska football. We've seen it with pretty much every coach that leaves or is fired and we certainly see it with recruits. I suppose this is just another irrational thing that fanatics do.

As an old friend of mine used to say, "It's not the principle of the thing, it's the money."

It's what insecure, pos, redneck simpletons think. He sucked, but to say he wasn't trying is a really sad look at the shit-turds in the fan base.

When someone asked mr why the scout team defenders weren't trying to strip the ball from the first team ball handlers, mr said he didn't know, but he'd look into it. Maybe he just didn't know HOW to "try" very hard. Is not trying part of incompetence? If so, then he wasn't trying very hard, was he?

When someone asked mr why the scout team defenders weren't trying to strip the ball from the first team ball handlers, mr said he didn't know, but he'd look into it. Maybe he just didn't know HOW to "try" very hard. Is not trying part of incompetence? If so, then he wasn't trying very hard, was he?
This is a rather damning anecdote.

I'm just ready to turn the page and move forward with a quality coaching staff and administration. Enough dwelling on the negative shit over the last 20 years. Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley, Perlman, Peterson are all dead and buried in my eyes. Looking forward to some great football...... FINALLY!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT