ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Salary Oregon State

The NU AD's office cannot simply ignore the issue and will almost certainly contact Riley and ask for a justification of the $50,000 as a reasonable salary, MR's attorney will write back and say that because of his age, .500 lifetime record, disregard for state auto registration laws, etc. he was practically unemployable and OSU threw him a transition lifeline. I doubt that either side wants to make a big deal about it that would hit the Yahoo front page, so they may settle on a slightly higher number as a payout reduction amount.

Reactions: schuele and RedSea
MR's attorney will write back and say that because of his age, .500 lifetime record, disregard for state auto registration laws, etc. he was practically unemployable and OSU threw him a transition lifeline.

Well played. Laughing

The NU AD's office cannot simply ignore the issue and will almost certainly contact Riley and ask for a justification of the $50,000 as a reasonable salary, MR's attorney will write back and say that because of his age, .500 lifetime record, disregard for state auto registration laws, etc. he was practically unemployable and OSU threw him a transition lifeline. I doubt that either side wants to make a big deal about it that would hit the Yahoo front page, so they may settle on a slightly higher number as a payout reduction amount.
Unemployable? He said that he had two other coaching offers before he took the OSU job.

Did he take a job that paid 95% less
No, but that's not the question at hand.

The questions are;
1) Did Riley actually violate his contract? One sentence (that has been quoted) out of the entire contract doesn't prove anything. Unless of course there's nothing in the contract that says otherwise.

2) What is the going rate of an AHC for a program like Oregon St?

Reactions: davecisar
... some of you are looking for any angle to question his character as well.

Just tired of the witch hunt.
It's simply because people pretended he was a lot of things he wasn't. He has been exposed to be a horrible coach. It appears he is nothing but a shitty coach and not the saint that people thought he was.

I don't think he did anything wrong by accepting a $50,000, but it shows he's no better than anybody else. Which people should have figured out
So is your undying allegiance to a trash human being, who hates you because you are a Husker fan. My post had facts, yours continues to have nothing but feelings. Talk about telling....
Your post, like you, was irrelevant. You bring Bo into a discussion about your boy Riley to divert the fact that your guy sucked more than Bo and now your boy looks like a douche, too. Funny how long you'll be obsessing over a coach we fired years ago.

Keep sticking up for 4 wins and I'll keep mocking you

Well here's what Oregon State was paying assistant coaches at the end of the Riley era, and when Gary Anderson took over. I don't see any five-figure salaries on the list, let along any making $50K.

Oregon State salaries
Assistant Head Coach.

What is the going rate for that specific position at a school like Oregon St?

Why the heck is MR still coaching at all? Why does OSU want him handling anything? He's got two schools shoveling money at him for nothing now! Clever man!

The questions are;
1) Did Riley actually violate his contract? One sentence (that has been quoted) out of the entire contract doesn't prove anything. Unless of course there's nothing in the contract that says otherwise.

We do know that he violated a very important clause that is the part of most employment agreements like this. It is a fundamental and essential part of these type of contracts- there isnt anything he or NU has done to think that this clause is somehow not enforceable- just because MR is supposedly a nice fella and NU has a lot of money. I dont think there is anything in the contract that says if MR is a nice guy and NU is 10 mil in the black- lets forget about it- no sensible person out there thinks that.

The LOWEST paid coach at OSU was paid over $200K last year
Low end AHCs are paid in the low 450s
So over 3 years, this will be about $1,200,000- NU will be taken for- not chump change

According to Riley- he had several P5 offers
Most P5 guys are making over 200K
50K is an blatant attempt to game the situation- hoping NU chooses not to enforce the letter of the contract- which they have lived up to. Mike Riley has not, Its more or less a blackmail thing- the contract has been violated, they are banking on the idea that NU will choose not to enforce it so as to avoid "bad pr". I dont see it as bad PR- the public isn't AT ALL supportive of giant golden parachutes for multi multi millionaires- especially when the results are so awful. 19 and 19- substandard results and effort and MR making $12,000,0000? That wont garner any sympathy. Letting OSU and Riley roll us over in such an unethical way- looks bad on them- NOT NU which has lived up to 100% of its obligation.

It's a simple black and white money grab- theft.

Last edited:
Reactions: phoenix4nu

The questions are;

ALSO this sets a very poor legal precedent for NU. If this type of thing happens to any of our other coaches in any other sport- they can say this is SOP at NU. If NU were to say go after a woman or minority coach- but let Mike RIley skate- that doesnt bode well for future contracts. I ran an $18,000,000 company in Omaha with about 180 employees. We HAD to go after people on occasion that we DIDNT want to go after- because we didnt want to set a bad precedent. NOW NU runs the risk of being called out on race, gender, sexual orientation, age blah blah blah blah discrimination because they let FHCMR take over $1,000,00 from NU without calling him out on it IF they chose to enforce contract terms on others. That is todays world

Really bad precedent

Reactions: SnohomishRed
It's simply because people pretended he was a lot of things he wasn't. He has been exposed to be a horrible coach. It appears he is nothing but a shitty coach and not the saint that people thought he was.

I don't think he did anything wrong by accepting a $50,000, but it shows he's no better than anybody else. Which people should have figured out

Your post, like you, was irrelevant. You bring Bo into a discussion about your boy Riley to divert the fact that your guy sucked more than Bo and now your boy looks like a douche, too. Funny how long you'll be obsessing over a coach we fired years ago.

Keep sticking up for 4 wins and I'll keep mocking you
Lol. You poor pathetic little guy. Find where I stood up for Riley in this case. But you won't because you are nothing more than a bloner MOUTHpiece. Keep imagining things, and only the illiterates will agree with you. Something for you to be very proud of.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Why the heck is MR still coaching at all? Why does OSU want him handling anything? He's got two schools shoveling money at him for nothing now! Clever man!
People that are mad for some reason, when he could just sit and they wouldn't say a word. It's mind-numbingly stupid, and nothing but a bunch of idiots piling on because he didn't win enough and (rightfully) got fired.

Actually, regarding Riley living the dream, I would venture to say he is not. Many people “believe” making a lot of money creates a dream lifestyle, but the evidence has been around us for years that money does not bring happiness - many times just the opposite.
What people desire is respect and Riley just showcased for the world that he was completely inept to coach at a major football program with unlimited resources. He was not on any lists for head coaching candidates in a year where there were several opportunities and ended up limping back to the place that was going to can him originally to work under a former kid that he coached for near poverty wage. Riley is a “nice guy”, but he has no real respect as a coach in college football. And all the money in the world will not ease that.

I'm surprised fitzgerald at NW didn't hire him as fitz thinks he is a "great" football coach.

sarcasm alert

Which pretty much gives us our plan going forward. We don't need to take him to court. We just send him a letter saying he is in violation and that we feel his position is worth $250,000 a year and start reducing his salary by the difference. Let him take us to court if he feels like pursuing it.

sounds good to me

If you think it's a theft you should call the State Patrol. Seriously. It's your duty as a citizen. By the way, they can only hold you for 24 hours on a mental health hold before you're entitled to a hearing. Know your rights going in.

Not excusing the nonsense of BP at all, just that in the case of MR, if what we’ve heard is true, the contract should be followed by both parties. Once Bo was let go, was there a “don’t act like a psycho within the Lincoln city limits” clause in his buyout?
Everything was cool with MR, very respectful behavior up to the freebie coaching decision he made with OSU. At least YSU is paying Pelini market.

I am not refering to the terms of the contract here, just mr's transitional activities (smoothing the transition).

It seems in the legal realm that behavior is judged on what a reasonable person would do. mr acted like a reasonable person during the transition. I don't see that as, necessarily, a reason to reward him in forgiving debt that he may owe under contract with the university.

What he did in the transition is what, it seems to me, he should have reasonably done and was not over and above normal or expected behavior.

Of course, I realize that there is a range of behaviors that could be expected to be considered reasonable in that situation, but I think what mr did was in that range, so, why would he not be expected to adhere to ALL aspects of the contract? This is for some who might think he should be rewarded for "helping" during the transition, though I don't know exactly how he helped or what he did to smooth it over.

People that are mad for some reason, when he could just sit and they wouldn't say a word. It's mind-numbingly stupid, and nothing but a bunch of idiots piling on because he didn't win enough and (rightfully) got fired.
Do you really not see the difference - if you do not there is no hope for a civil discussion. That clause is a standard feature in contracts for a reason. Do you really want NU to pay a coaches salary at another school that is not paying market price. If all programs stood by and let this happen there would be a lot of chaos in CFB

Do you really not see the difference - if you do not there is no hope for a civil discussion. That clause is a standard feature in contracts for a reason. Do you really want NU to pay a coaches salary at another that is not paying market price. If all programs stood by and let this happen there would be a lot of chaos in CFB
Has anyone ever actually pursued an x-coach? Nobody would care if he retired. But they do if he didn't?

Do you really not see the difference - if you do not there is no hope for a civil discussion. That clause is a standard feature in contracts for a reason. Do you really want NU to pay a coaches salary at another that is not paying market price. If all programs stood by and let this happen there would be a lot of chaos in CFB
Yea, don't know what going on there. People can MR vs BP all they want. They were fired for different reasons. But it would seem that how programs work the buyout period next job compensation is an honor system thing. Is OSU Athletics to the point where they are digging in the lounge couches for change to pay Riley? Or did their AD just decide to game the system and have Big Red chip in for their FB program. Moos is an old PAC-12 guy, he won't mind :(

That position isn't listed, but let me ask you a question: Do assistant head coaches typically get paid about 1/4 to 1/3 of what the lowest-paid position coaches make?
I don't know. That's why I was asking the question. Not one person has posted a list of Assistant Head Coaches and their salaries.

We do know that he violated a very important clause that is the part of most employment agreements like this.
Have you fully read the entire contract? If not, then it doesn't matter which specific clause you quote because the implications of that clause could change if there's something else in the contract that's says otherwise.

I'm not saying that is the case. You may very well be correct. But you don't even know you're correct since you havent read the entire contract yourself.

Lol. You poor pathetic little guy. Find where I stood up for Riley in this case. But you won't because you are nothing more than a bloner MOUTHpiece. Keep imagining things, and only the illiterates will agree with you. Something for you to be very proud of.

Can you even read, or try to stay on topic?

Boy, you fall apart as soon as somebody mentions Bo ( which was you, Genius)

Reactions: Huskercigar
Nobody is mad, they are just pointing out your boy is a fraud. And you are upset because you were the last one to see it. Maybe you should change your name again.

Reactions: scarletred
Nobody is mad, they are just pointing out your boy is a fraud. And you are upset because you were the last one to see it. Maybe you should change your name again.

Correction, both his boys don't forget SE.

You are going to get crucified for this comment. Many posters here love Riley and wonder how anyone could ever question his integrity? He is a nice guy, don’t you know?

You don't have to invent ways to demonize him. He is a good guy. Just let it go, already.

Riley needed to win to stay. He got the first season mulligan. You don't get two.

I don't know. That's why I was asking the question. Not one person has posted a list of Assistant Head Coaches and their salaries.

Among Pac-12 schools, John Simon has the title of assistant head coach at Arizona State, and is paid $200,000 per year.

At Arizona, Calvin McGee has the title of associate head coach and co-offensive coordinator and is paid $520,000.

At Washington, Bob Gregory has the title of assistant head coach and linebackers coach, and is paid $555,000.

Under the Mora regime at UCLA, Demetrice Martin had the title of assistant head coach and DB coach at a salary of $295,000.

Interestingly, Gary Anderson was hired just this month as the associate head coach at Utah, but none of the articles gave his salary. I'll be fascinated to see how close it is to $50,000.

So these are the salaries of Pac-12 football assistants who hold the title of assistant head coach or associate head coach. Probably not nearly as relevant to the conversation as a guy you knew once who left a job and took a lower-paying one, but it's the best comparison I could find.

Not sure how more clear this could be
When constructing an employment contract worth more than $12,000,000 there is going to be a team of lawyers including a senior partner constructing and reviewing the agreement

There are very rarely any details that are left to chance or not quantified in a very specific way

Last year the Oregon state assistants ranged from 487-184k
The median salary was in the 330 range

No one on staff was paid anything near 50k
And you won't find any former d1 power 5 head coaches working in coaching in power 5 for 50 k the reason being adherence to commonly accepted coaching employment contracts and well- pride and integrity

I challenge anyone to find a power 5 former hc working for 50 k in power 5
Takes a lot of moxie to even try to pull off this scam at the expense of someone that paid you 12 million dollars for a poorly done job

Not sure how more clear this could be
When constructing an employment contract worth more than $12,000,000 there is going to be a team of lawyers including a senior partner constructing and reviewing the agreement

There are very rarely any detail that is left to chance or not quantified

Last year the Oregon state assistants ranged from 487-184k
The median salary was in the 330 range

No one on staff was paid anything near 50k
And you won't find any former d1 power 5 head coaches working in coaching in power 5 for 50 k the reason being adherence to commonly accepted coaching employment contracts and well- pride and integrity

I challenge anyone to find a power 5 former hc working for 50 k in power 5
Takes a lot of moxie to even try to pull off this scam
In which case Nebraska will address it. It would have been addressed with or without this 6 page thread.

So glad we could call him out for his crooked ways.

Can you even read, or try to stay on topic?

Boy, you fall apart as soon as somebody mentions Bo ( which was you, Genius)
Nah, I drew a valid comparison to all you babies crying all of the sudden, and you ignored it. You act like you are effected at all, when not a dime comes out of your pocket. Bloners are Really, really slow. Do I need to type slower for you guys? Apparently so.

I will ask again... since this is supposedly common practice and will be easy to do, has this ever been done anywhere before? There are lots of experts here that should be able to answer that, although I am almost sure it will be ignored (even though they continue to answer to other things).

Can we go after Blo for admitting he was trying to get fired for 2 years, for conduct detrimental and gross insubordination?
But by all means, keep whining that he got exactly what he wanted.

According to davecisar, bo is better than Mike. Stop trying to make bo a bad guy.

Besides, this thread is about Riley. Why are you even bringing bo into this?

According to davecisar, bo is better than Mike. Stop trying to make bo a bad guy.

Because it is a very valid comparison, and they should have went after him if anyone thinks they are being consistent in the slightest.
But we all know what the handful of posters complaining the most are all about. Its just sad, bitter crying from them. Per usual.

Because it is a very valid comparison, and they should have went after him if anyone thinks they are being consistent in the slightest.
But we all know what the handful of posters complaining the most are all about. Its just sad, bitter crying from them. Per usual.

You guys need to put that Bo card away for good. It's old ratty, doesn't belong in current conversations and really has no bearing on what is happening now

Im no bo fan
It was time for him to go
Toxic environment- embarrassment
Not sure why we are talking about bo

This is all about Mike Riley
I was a real fan of how he handled his firing
Acting like normal people should act
Supported the team and him for 38 games

But the more I found out about his tenure here
A pattern of behavior
Capped off by a grotesque attempt to scam the university that payed him 12 million dollars is just too much
I don't think he is who many think he is

Mike Riley could make it right
He's worth millions
I seriously doubt that he does

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker1078
Im no bo fan

A pattern of behavior
Capped off by a grotesque attempt to scam the university that payed him 12 million dollars is just too much
Yup think about it many fired coaches take a few years off and resurface somewhere. Riley wants to coach at OSU I understand that, the problem is that he enticed his offer to work at OSU with basically a free salary. In essence he is making NU pay to help OSU. That not the intent of the contract. Now both Riley and OSU could have come to terms at say 200,000 or some low number but instead they basically decided to flip off NU by paying him 50,000 it's an insult and it's wrong and yes it does show a character flaw in Riley

Last edited:
Im no bo fan

A pattern of behavior

Mike Riley could make it right
He's worth millions
I seriously doubt that he does
Again, if this is as egregious as you are suggesting, Nebraska won’t ignore it. It will be addressed.

You’ve done your job, we all know that Riley is not the great guy we thought he was. Time to wait and see what Nebraska does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT