ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Tucker and MSU

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Read in the Detroit Free Press that MSU is interviewing both Fickell and Mel Tucker this weekend. Can’t believe Tucker is openly doing that after 1 year at CU

Yea, in the coaching profession loyalties be damned, schools will fire you after one year, so the coaches will and should ride the coat tails of success to better paying jobs... get the money while you can. I think if schools would start showing more loyalty you’d start seeing the coaches show some more...

Yea, in the coaching profession loyalties be damned, schools will fire you after one year, so the coaches will and should ride the coat tails of success to better paying jobs... get the money while you can. I think if schools would start showing more loyalty you’d start seeing the coaches show some more...
but, by all means punish every 17 year old kid who may not have made the right choice of school and chooses to transfer.

the ncaa, as always, clearly has the best interest of its student-athletes in mind.

Colorado should have hired eric bieniemy as HC a long time ago. They had their guy to turn it around and balked at the chance.
Bienemy was there with Jon Embree in 2011 and 2012. The Buffs were 4-21, and weren't very competitive. It was my understanding that neither had even been a coordinator prior to that.

I do think that Bienemy is better prepared now than he was when hired for his first stint. Of course, you might be right....not sure he takes that gig.

Reactions: spinner4 and WHCSC
Colorado should have hired Dave Logan years ago, but passed on him as well.
How do you figure? Not a good history of HS coaches going directly to a head Division I-A/FBS program and winning. Gerry Faust and Todd Dodge come to mind...both of whom had better credentials than Logan, in states with better HS football, and were fired after less than stellar performances.

Read in the Detroit Free Press that MSU is interviewing both Fickell and Mel Tucker this weekend. Can’t believe Tucker is openly doing that after 1 year at CU
Don't blame the guy, who would want to be stuck with the Buffs for more than they have to be. That program has a ceiling of 5-7 wins.

Isn't Mel response pretty standard right up until they bail. How many times did Frost say he is committed to UCF?
I don’t know, coaches are usually pretty noncommittal when they are talking to someone else, Tucker is pretty much publicly saying No to Sparty. I don’t think he’s a candidate anymore.

Reactions: husker2612
Don't blame the guy, who would want to be stuck with the Buffs for more than they have to be. That program has a ceiling of 5-7 wins.
I'd agree that other places, such as MSU, might pay better. CU is 38th out of 129 FBS programs in all-time win percentage (.577)...and that's including their struggles of the last 15 years, so I don't necessarily think their ceiling is 5-7 wins. They were probably up over .600 before this latest skid that began in the mid-2000s.

So no, they're not a "blue blood", but they aren't Kentucky or North Texas, either.

The head of the all-time percentage list? Boise State (461-169-2, for .731).

I'd agree that other places, such as MSU, might pay better. CU is 38th out of 129 FBS programs in all-time win percentage (.577)...and that's including their struggles of the last 15 years, so I don't necessarily think their ceiling is 5-7 wins. They were probably up over .600 before this latest skid that began in the mid-2000s.

So no, they're not a "blue blood", but they aren't Kentucky or North Texas, either.

The head of the all-time percentage list? Boise State (461-169-2, for .731).
what's winning got to do with it?

Smokin

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
How do you figure? Not a good history of HS coaches going directly to a head Division I-A/FBS program and winning. Gerry Faust and Todd Dodge come to mind...both of whom had better credentials than Logan, in states with better HS football, and were fired after less than stellar performances.
Dave Logan would have excelled on the D1 stage way better than those two you mentioned. All he does is win and that would have equated to the collegiate level as well. And he's well enough connected that he could have rounded up way better coaching talent than Faust or Dodge, and he is flat out a better coach than either. If that doesn't jibe with you, too bad.

Last edited:
Agreed, MSU is hard after Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell and should have him here soon.

plus side there is that Cincinnati game next season is looking better and better for us by the month ;)

Tucker to Cinci? :D

Agreed, MSU is hard after Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell and should have him here soon.

plus side there is that Cincinnati game next season is looking better and better for us by the month ;)
But we’ll play MSU many more times in the long run.

Last edited:
By we’ll play MSU many more times in the long run.

Im honestly not to worried about MSU. We have done well against them since joining the BIG 10. Luke Fickell should help liven MSUs offense up and if they can keep their defense at par...they could be a contender in the East division.

Reactions: WHCSC
but, by all means punish every 17 year old kid who may not have made the right choice of school and chooses to transfer.

the ncaa, as always, clearly has the best interest of its student-athletes in mind.
I couldn’t agree more with this, I’m very much on board with the one time transfer rule... I think if you let it become a total free for all then managing your roster becomes impossible... let the kids transfer once with immediate eligibility and then give them a year to transfer out with no strings attached if there is a coaching change

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

i.e., I'm not getting the MSU job, so time to save face and spin this into an "I'm committed to the Buffs" rally cry.

Still, he agreed to an interview ONE year into the CU job, and not at a perennial power or a school that's "home" or his alma mater. It's a bad look for both Tucker and CU and doesn't bode well for #TheBuild.

Last edited:
Dave Logan would have excelled on the D1 stage way better than those two you mentioned. All he does is win and that would have equated to the collegiate level as well. And he's well enough connected that he could have rounded up way better coaching talent than Faust or Dodge, and he is flat out a better coach than either. If that doesn't jibe with you, too bad.
What are you basing that on, aside from your own opinion?

Faust and Dodge both won national titles at schools in states that play far more competitive HS football than does Colorado. I get that Dodge would have struggled getting top tier coaching talent at North Texas, but Faust was at Notre Dame.

Yes...Logan has more state titles that the other two. Most of them have come at what was then the top private school athletically (Mullen...before the rise of Valor Christian), or the largest school in the state (Cherry Creek, enrollment of 3,700...literally 1,000 more kids than the next largest...and a history of winning, with 10 state titles all together). His other titles came at a school that had been a consistent playoff team, and another at a school that hadn't had much success, but came at a time when Colorado's transfer rule was very loose.

Logan is a great HS coach, and a good person....but I have seen nothing to make me think he'd do any better at CU than Faust did at Notre Dame.

Reactions: tpieper04
What are you basing that on, aside from your own opinion?

Faust and Dodge both won national titles at schools in states that play far more competitive HS football than does Colorado. I get that Dodge would have struggled getting top tier coaching talent at North Texas, but Faust was at Notre Dame.

Yes...Logan has more state titles that the other two. Most of them have come at what was then the top private school athletically (Mullen...before the rise of Valor Christian), or the largest school in the state (Cherry Creek, enrollment of 3,700...literally 1,000 more kids than the next largest...and a history of winning, with 10 state titles all together). His other titles came at a school that had been a consistent playoff team, and another at a school that hadn't had much success, but came at a time when Colorado's transfer rule was very loose.

Logan is a great HS coach, and a good person....but I have seen nothing to make me think he'd do any better at CU than Faust did at Notre Dame.

The fact that you've seen nothing tells me all I need to know, then again, your opinion must be the correct one, right?

That he has won titles at multiple schools tells you he knows how to coach and knows how to win regardless of what schools he coached at, doubt if many coaches could pull that off.

His organization skills are first rate, he knows and understands what it takes to coach kids up as well as hire excellent assistant coaches. And that would have carried to CU had they hired him. It may not have been a bed of roses every season, but he sure as hell would have done a better job than Rick Neuheisel, or a few other clowns that CU hired.

And as I stated before, Logan is well connected and would have been able to bring in very good assistants, and I have no doubt he would have been able to recruit the kind of players to keep CU in conference title contention had he been hired on.

And my opinion isn't the only like one about Dave Logan, I've heard plenty of local sports figures in the Denver area as well as college and NFL football coaches give their opinions of him, and they had no doubt that he would have succeeded in Boulder when the subject came up, and he certainly wouldn't have been overwhelmed like Faust was at ND and Akron.

We'll never know how it would have turned out since the administration there never really had an interest in him,, they didn't like to be told who to hire as their next head coach.

Last edited:
Means he didn't get the job after the interview. Laughing

My guess is that he was interviewed or considered only so that MSU could say they interviewed more than one candidate but MSU was never serious about it.
Interview smells like The Rooney Rule. Didn’t David Shaw come to Lincoln right before Frost was hired to keep within the regulations?

The fact that you've seen nothing tells me all I need to know, then again, your opinion must be the correct one, right?

That he has won titles at multiple schools tells you he knows how to coach and knows how to win regardless of what schools he coached at, doubt if many coaches could pull that off.

His organization skills are first rate, he knows and understands what it takes to coach kids up as well as hire excellent assistant coaches. And that would have carried to CU had they hired him. It may not have been a bed of roses every season, but he sure as hell would have done a better job than Rick Neuheisel, or a few other clowns that CU hired.

And as I stated before, Logan is well connected and would have been able to bring in very good assistants, and I have no doubt he would have been able to recruit the kind of players to keep CU in conference title contention had he been hired on.

And my opinion isn't the only like one about Dave Logan, I've heard plenty of local sports figures in the Denver area as well as college and NFL football coaches give their opinions of him, and they had no doubt that he would have succeeded in Boulder when the subject came up, and he certainly wouldn't have been overwhelmed like Faust was at ND and Akron.

We'll never know how it would have turned out since the administration there never really had an interest in him,, they didn't like to be told who to hire as their next head coach.
First of all, you seem to think your opinion is the right one, with no more tangible proof than I have, so WTF?

Schools Logan won titles at (number of titles):
  • Arvada West (1)- Replaced retired coach that had made several trips to the playoffs...in other words, a program that was on solid footing when he got there.
  • Chatfield (1)- Not much tradition; came during an era of a very liberal transfer rule (several A-West players transferred there, as well as Lendale White from Denver South...who he'd never have coached under the former rules).
  • Mullen (3)- Private school (i.e. can recruit), with 5 previous titles to their credit; again, another program on very solid footing prior to his arrival.
  • Cherry Creek (2)- Largest school in Colorado (3,700 students...at least 1,000 more than the next largest school). 8 previous state titles to their resume before Logan got there; again (again), a program on very solid footing prior to his arrival.
Yes, he's a great HS coach...but I'd be curious how he'd do at a place like Denver North or Jefferson (2004-2019 record of 21-132, with 2 winning seasons). That's a major secret to being a successful HS coach....coach at places where you have a chance to win.

I'd like to know how these figures are, especially the NFL ones, that you heard say that Logan would be such a hit taking the reigns at am FBS program. Feel free to list them.

Last edited:
Interview smells like The Rooney Rule. Didn’t David Shaw come to Lincoln right before Frost was hired to keep within the regulations?
I don't remember seeing anything about Shaw talking to Nebraska before Frost was hired. And I highly doubt that he would have been interested in the job.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT